• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball: Daima Announced - Coming in 2024

Draugoth

Gold Member
The Dragon Ball franchise will receive a new anime, called Dragon Ball Daima, which is scheduled for release sometime between September and December 2024.

The anime was announced during the Dragon Ball franchise panel at New York Comic Con, and will show Goku, Vegeta and the other Z Warriors becoming children for some mysterious reason.

The concept of the anime and the look of the characters are the work of Dragon Ball creator Akira Toriyama, and takes place after the events of Dragon Ball Z, and before Dragon Ball Super, so it will not feature some elements presented in the most recent series of the franchise.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I have been waiting YEARS FOR THIS FUCKING ANNOUNCEMENT

and it comes

And you’re telling me they’re fucking KIDS AGAIN.

Fucking stupid ass premise. Will watch only because ima diehard db fan.

But Super had SO many u answered questions. Wtf.

And when the fuck will they go past End of Z?

My only thought process for this is a Nozawa and crew are aging so they made them kids again so they can recast them as adults.

So many unanswered questions in Super. Just fucking give us what we want.

I blame the lame ass “it’s just a goku and vegeta show, let’s see other characters” or “too much simplistic fighting not enough story” ass fans. Stfu. Look at what you’ve done now.

Last edited:
chris-evans-laughing-out-loud.gif

I can't believe that rumor ended up true lol.

Even a timeline reset or Dragonball Sai animated would have been better than this. Have fun with GT part 2 guys.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
How much of the episode they go. A spend screaming and powering up after shrugging off the next level of an attack

Saber

Gold Member
Sounds like an extremelly silly concept.
But who knows...might work depending on the intention.

Last edited:

Represent.

Alright I’m a little calmer now after watching the trailer properly.

The animation looks great and this should be fun. If this is what toryiama wants to do then fuck it. Just please, lead up to the end of fucking Z.

Just sick of kids in anime/shonen. Dragonball was free from that plague forever

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Trash. Good animation isn't enough.

Was expecting a story reset where they lose their god powers and have to improve their base forms. Angel/god stuff was too extreme.

LordOfChaos

Not the becoming children shit again, where's the continuation of Super?! They have so much manga material to go off now

Represent.

All they had to do was animate the manga in the same art style as Broly and they’d have the biggest anime in a decade.

A black frieza arc animated with Broly art style would do ridiculous numbers and crash the internet

And when the fuck will they go past End of Z?
They are too afraid to do any post-Goku content, even though they have arguably 4 characters who could easily be main characters. 2 of them would do fine on their own as main character, and the other 2 would make for great dual protagonists.

Boruto's mixed reception did not help fill them with any confidence either.

It is sad that I can only think of one shonen that has relished in the idea of moving forward and embracing new protagonists, and that is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
They are too afraid to do any post-Goku content, even though they have arguably 4 characters who could easily be main characters. 2 of them would do fine on their own as main character, and the other 2 would make for great dual protagonists.

Boruto's mixed reception did not help fill them with any confidence either.

It is sad that I can only think of one shonen that has relished in the idea of moving forward and embracing new protagonists, and that is JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

Seeing Grampa Goku go on an adventure with his grandson Gotaro would be hype as shit.

Represent.

Im completely torn.

This thing looks like a love letter to DragonBall from Toriyama. Im just pissed off about the kids.

It'll grow on me.

Last edited:

Represent.

So is super just not gonna continue?
It will. Just not right now. The voice actors are getting old. I assume they will recast them and then continue Super 2. Its on the backburner for now. But theres no way in fuck they dont eventually animate the Black Frieza arc. That will print money.

Anyways heres some more details about the show and its prodcution.

YCoCg

So now after SUPER HERO got us sooooooo close to End of Z, ...we now get a PREQUEL to Super????? That's set in the miniscule gap between end of Buu Z and start of Super???? And it's the GT Kid concept again but now extended to all the cast. I just can't anymore.

Represent.

So now after SUPER HERO got us sooooooo close to End of Z, ...we now get a PREQUEL to Super????? That's set in the miniscule gap between end of Buu Z and start of Super???? And it's the GT Kid concept again but now extended to all the cast. I just can't anymore.
We dont know when this takes place, could be after EoZ for all we know.

Represent.

This is a cash grab to sell more merchandise. It don't make sense why they wouldn’t have just continued the super series.
It’s actually the exact opposite of a cash grab. It’s clearly the opposite of a cash grab. A cash grab would be doing Super 2 and giving us exactly what we want. This is a Toriyama passion project. Super 2 will come after this. By Toyotaro.
Laziest dumbest shit ever.
It’s not lazy. Lazy would be Super 2. Because the Manga content is already there. They could easily Just adapt that. Instead, he’s making an all new story from scratch.

Dumb? Maybe. Not lazy.

Last edited:
Just sick of kids in anime/shonen. Dragonball was free from that plague forever

You sound surprised considering it's target audience. Not to mention DB has always had a kid character as that's where Toriyama gets most of his comedy from due to the kids' mischievousness. While he skipped it with Gohan after Goku grew up before returning full force with Goten and Trunks it's likely going to be Pan getting into issues once they get back to that part of the timeline.

Wait I thought GT did this?

This is probably Toriyama's version of GT.

justonething

Jada's BFF
It’s actually the exact opposite of a cash grab. It’s clearly the opposite of a cash grab. A cash grab would be doing Super 2 and giving us exactly what we want. This is a Toriyama passion project. Super 2 will come after this. By Toyotaro.

It’s not lazy. Lazy would be Super 2. Because the Manga content is already there. They could easily Just adapt that. Instead, he’s making an all new story from scratch.

Dumb? Maybe. Not lazy.
Boardroom hack 1: Guys we need to do something entirely new, something where which we can use to milk an already milked to death franchise. Something where we can magically sell new merch and print money! We don't need to continue the abomination that is super just yet. We can stall even longer!
Boardroom hack 2: Yeah totally, but no need to think too hard here, I got an idea. [hack pulls dried crusty toilet paper still stuck to ass with fresh shit smeared] Look at this...what do you see? Yeah I know!! We can just turn everyone to kids!! No creativity required, it's just as simple as that, just forget all the lore, everything fans are invested in, fuck them, forget the creativity, KIDS. We can lure in kids and get them hooked on this dubious pile of shit, 10x our money and the boomers will still watch it, because at this point, they ain't got a choice! We'll keep stringing the zoomers along, keep dropping nostalgia crumbs and when and if when decide to continue milking the main story, they'll fold and bend like origami.

They've just given themselves another pass (first was multiverse bullshit) to make up and write whatever the fuck they want, no strings attached, this time they get to be as annoying as they want whilst still riding off nostalgia craze. The more you think about it, the lazier and dumber it gets.

Toriyama passion project

Wake up and smell the coffee, he doesn't give a fuck about the series after Z, literally all his decisions post-Z were in the direction of milking this shit. Don't make me laugh, never heard a bigger oxymoron than "Toriyama" and "passion project". He's probably laughing at your ass in yen.

Last edited:

Represent.

Boardroom hack 1: Guys we need to do something entirely new, something where which we can use to milk an already milked to death franchise. Something where we can magically sell new merch and print money! We don't need to continue the abomination that is super just yet. We can stall even longer!
Boardroom hack 2: Yeah totally, but no need to think too hard here, I got an idea. [hack pulls dried crusty toilet paper still stuck to ass with fresh shit smeared] Look at this...what do you see? Yeah I know!! We can just turn everyone to kids!! No creativity required, it's just as simple as that, just forget all the lore, everything fans are invested in, fuck them, forget the creativity, KIDS. We can lure in kids and get them hooked on this dubious pile of shit, 10x our money and the boomers will still watch it, because at this point, they ain't got a choice! We'll keep stringing the zoomers along, keep dropping nostalgia crumbs and when and if when decide to continue milking the main story, they'll fold and bend like origami.

The more you think about it, the lazier and dumber it gets.

Wake up and smell the coffee, he doesn't give a fuck about the series after Z, literally all his decisions post-Z were in the direction of milking this shit. Don't make me laugh, never heard a bigger oxymoron than "Toriyama" and "passion project". He's probably laughing at your ass in yen.
Scroll up and read post #4 in this thread. That’s me venting my frustration at the decision to return to kid characters.

But it’s simply not a cash grab because they are not doing the most obvious thing to print money: Animate the manga. Toei is fucking dumb, they don’t even realize how popular dragonball is outside of Japan.I’m not sure they even realize how big and influential the IP even is. It’s undoubtedly the most influential and iconic anime of all time. They could be blowing one piece and demon slayer numbers away if they just gave us what we want….A season 2 of super with Broly style animation. That would be the biggest anime of the decade.

Instead they put that on the backburner and give toriyama one last hurrah at being in complete charge. The man is like 70 years old and has been doing this series for 40 years. Sure he has probably lost a step or 2. As well as interest.

But as a fan… I can’t help but look forward to this if this is his swan song for the series he created. They gave him the budget, if this is what he wanted to make so be it. Trust me. If he did t want to make this, it wouldn’t be getting made. And if it was getting made, he wouldn’t be all hands on deck like he is in this.

Super season 2 will come. For now we feast on this. It’s 2023 and we’re getting new dragonball. Fuck it.

Also. Think logically here…
… Nozawa is almost fucking 90 years old. They are simply not going to write a screaming/action heavy Super 2 where she and the rest of the old ass cast has to scream and shout constantly. The entire cast is now up there in age. She is going to pass away or retire. Then goku will be recast. Then we get Super 2.

Last edited:

justonething

Jada's BFF
Scroll up and read post #4 in this thread. That’s me venting my frustration at the decision to return to kid characters.

But it’s simply not a cash grab because they are not doing the most obvious thing to print money: Animate the manga. Toei is fucking dumb, they don’t even realize how popular dragonball is outside of Japan.I’m not sure they even realize how big and influential the IP even is. It’s undoubtedly the most influential and iconic anime of all time. They could be blowing one piece and demon slayer numbers away if they just gave us what we want….A season 2 of super with Broly style animation. That would be the biggest anime of the decade.

Instead they put that on the backburner and give toriyama one last hurrah at being in complete charge. The man is like 70 years old and has been doing this series for 40 years. Sure he has probably lost a step or 2. As well as interest.

But as a fan… I can’t help but look forward to this if this is his swan song for the series he created. They gave him the budget, if this is what he wanted to make so be it. Trust me. If he did t want to make this, it wouldn’t be getting made. And if it was getting made, he wouldn’t be all hands on deck like he is in this.

Super season 2 will come. For now we feast on this. It’s 2023 and we’re getting new dragonball. Fuck it.

Also. Think logically here…
… Nozawa is almost fucking 90 years old. They are simply not going to write a screaming/action heavy Super 2 where she and the rest of the old ass cast has to scream and shout constantly. The entire cast is now up there in age. She is going to pass away or retire. Then goku will be recast. Then we get Super 2.
You didn't read anything of my post, or you read it with your eyes closed. Where did I suggest "they won't continue super"? Did I not explain how this route they're taking is more lazy and greedy? I did, and I'm not going to bother typing it up again for you to read it blindfolded.
This is expected of someone doing Toriyama's pr work, and you will continue doing it for free for years to come. To top it off you continue sucking off greedy Toriyama. You know it's a turd of a concept, yet you're still enamored and invested. Stockholm syndrome at its finest. I can't tell you what not to like, but it seems you know this is bullshit, but still continue to defend it in the weirdest and most nonsensical way. You really shouldn't have to do this level of mental gymnastics to get yourself hyped.

Last edited:

Represent.

You didn't read anything of my post, or you read it with your eyes closed. Where did I suggest "they won't continue super"? Did I not explain how this route they're taking is more lazy and greedy? I did, and I'm not going to bother typing it up again for you to read it blindfolded.
This is expected of someone doing Toriyama's pr work, and you will continue doing it for free for years to come. To top it off you continue sucking off greedy Toriyama. You know it's a turd of a concept, yet you're still enamored and invested. Stockholm syndrome at its finest. I can't tell you what not to like, but it seems you know this is bullshit, but still continue to defend it in the weirdest and most nonsensical way. You really shouldn't have to do this level of mental gymnastics to get yourself hyped.
I read your post. I see your point. I’m just saying it’s wrong. Because if it was a cash grab they would simply animate the black frieza arc like everyone wants.

I’m not doing any mental gymnastics here. I’m simply just willing to give this a shot as a fan. You can see how pissed I was in my first post of this thread. But after seeing the trailer in good quality… it looks fun. And the music is fantastic, and so is the animation. If the story is fun, I’m in.

I’m not going to shit on the thing before I even see an episode. That is stupid, but have fun with that game.

Do I want them to be kids again? No. But will I give it a shot? Yes. It’s not just “toriyama bad lazy man” like you paint it out to be. I will give it a shot

Last edited:

justonething

Jada's BFF
I read your post. I see your point. I’m just saying it’s wrong. Because if it was a cash grab they would simply animate the black frieza arc like everyone wants.
You read my post, but you're continuing to repeat something I already addressed and you just don't want to respond to it because you can't, as I predicted you would.
I’m not doing any mental gymnastics here.
No, not at all, you pretend as if your point was never addressed and so keep repeating yourself. If someone challenges what you say, someone who isn't doing mental gymnastics wouldn't ignore it and just repeat themselves. You're saying it's not a cash grab, a cash grab would be continuing Super, I've very directly addressed that, and you know it. I asked you two questions you refuse to answer, why is that?: "Where did I suggest "they won't continue super"? Did I not explain how this route they're taking is more lazy and greedy?".
I’m simply just willing to give this a shot as a fan. You can see how pissed I was in my first post of this thread. But after seeing the trailer in good quality… it looks fun. And the music is fantastic, and so is the animation. If the story is fun, I’m in.

I’m not going to shit on the thing before I even see an episode. That is stupid, but have fun with that game.

Do I want them to be kids again? No. But will I give it a shot? Yes. It’s not just “toriyama bad lazy man” like you paint it out to be. I will give it a shot
Since you read posts blind folded to your convinience, maybe you can read your own shit:
Fucking stupid ass premise.
But as a fan… I can’t help but look forward to this if this is his swan song for the series he created.
If there's nothing wrong you, you're clearly a troll, and you won't be getting any more of my time.

Tweet: “You can expect all the major players from Dragon Quest Dai to make an appearance as key animators. The emphasis is on hard-to-hard combat and traditional weapons rather than on ki blast spam. Don't hold your breath for DBS transformation stuff especially.”
I’ll have to see it to believe it, because that’s the only potential draw here.

The fights in the original Dragonball aged really well, but that doesn’t mean lightning can strike twice. Sometimes it feels like Toriyama is trying to recapture a specific feeling that someone can only live through once, rather than looking for something artistically new and exciting.

Top Bottom