• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Akira Toriyama has passed away , aged 68 - Dragon Ball , Dr Slump , Sand Land

Sleepwalker

Ah man, I'm geniunely sad. Thank you for a happy childhood Mr Toriyama. Your work will live on forever. RIP

feels GIF

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
2wnFGOm.jpg

A true legend of pop culture.
Dragon Ball shaped entertainment like few other creations. But Dr. Slump shouldn't be forgotten. Around 1984, Toriyama's drawings were some of the most perfect things in the world.

Arigato, Toriyama-sensei. May you find the crazy, awesome, ridiculously fun people you spent your life drawing on the other side.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
After taking some time to process it I think this may be the most influential death in media in some time. There have been bigger names who have done bigger things, but Toriyama basically laid the foundation of a style of anime/manga that multiple generations now have grown up on.

If you were a kid (likely boys) in America from the year 1998 onwards when you got home from school you grabbed your snacks and you watched DBZ on Toonami. That encompassed your childhood right there. You saw Goku go Super Saiyan. You spiked your hair and pretended that you were ascending. You did the motions of the Kamehameha or the many other special moves. "Next time on DRAGON BALL Z" was something you said out loud to your TV.

Toriyama did that for people. That touched way more than just the modern nerds. Because even if they grew out of it you have multiple generations that have fond memories of the DB franchise. People who went on to movies, sports, novels, comics, etc etc. you can see his influence in all of it. You forever saw parodies of the spiky hair on power-ups. You saw the beam attacks and the back and forth struggles using them. It goes on and on.

The modern landscape of Anime and Manga does not look like it does now without Toriyama. He was a foundational force for the modern media landscape for animation and manga.

RIP to an actual unexaggerated legend. We may never see someone like that again.

Last edited:

Trunx81

RIP to the GOAT.

First time I saw his drawings was in a video game magazine in the early 90s. Playing Chrono Trigger was then my first contact with his work, before I saw my first episode of Dragonball Z. It was - obviously - the Trunks-Saga. His art style was so unique, so inspiring for so many people (like my son starting to draw, who I introduced to anime through Dragonball) … He will be deeply missed.

Will post what I commented in the other thread:

Shit news. DBZ was my life as a teenager. Used to tune in to Cartoon Network on the daily in the early - mid 2000s. If I knew I wasn't going to be home I'd set it to record to VHS. DBZ was unlike anything I'd ever watched before and was the most badass shit ever back then. Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, and Broly are some of my favourite characters of all time.

I used to play the shit out of the Budokai games. I even used to find random DBZ online games to play. I used to draw pictures of Vegito in school. Spending hours watching DBZ/Linkin Park AMVs that I downloaded from Limewire / Kazaa. Great franchise and great times.

Absolute legend. RIP.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Absolute legend. DBZ is really the tip of the iceberg for his work, and far from the best thing he's done. I think he's really underrated in terms of comedy. I'm really looking forward to the Sand Land stuff coming out.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Will post what I commented in the other thread:

Shit news. DBZ was my life as a teenager. Used to tune in to Cartoon Network on the daily in the early - mid 2000s. If I knew I wasn't going to be home I'd set it to record to VHS. DBZ was unlike anything I'd ever watched before and was the most badass shit ever back then. Goku, Vegeta, Trunks, and Broly are some of my favourite characters of all time.

I used to play the shit out of the Budokai games. I even used to find random DBZ online games to play. I used to draw pictures of Vegito in school. Spending hours watching DBZ/Linkin Park AMVs that I downloaded from Limewire / Kazaa. Great franchise and great times.

Absolute legend. RIP.
How can I forget KaZaA and Napster, where I illegally downloaded Eminem and Nirvana songs and my computer got infected with viruses at all times xD

Last edited:

Fbh

RIP to a legend.
Just the other day we were looking at some old stuff and I found the letters the teachers had my 4th grade classmates write when I left my school because we were moving. And like half of them had pictures of DBZ and Chrono Trigger because those were the 2 things I was obsessed with as a kid.

68 is too young.

RIP Toriyama, Dragon Ball Z was my sister and my favorite show growing up. Got me into music as well. In fact, gonna listen to Bruce Faulconer all day.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark

AKIRA TORIYAMA DEATH: DRAGON BALL CREATOR DIES FROM BRAIN CONDITION AT 68, PRODUCTION STUDIO SAYS​

One of the first shows I watched was DBZ, went back and watched dragon ball and to me watching super today they make it look easy to produce.

RIP.

Top Bottom