• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest XI:Echoes of an Elusive Age |OT| This One Goes To XI

How does it run on the ps4 pro? What are the issues?

There's some checker boarding issues that make foliage and some of the backgrounds look blurry that doesn't exist when playing it on base PS4.

However I don't know the extent of the issues with the Pro on the frame rate and loading that the base PS4 version has. Some outdoor areas and towns (gondolia) can cause some massive frame drops. There's also the loading issue where if your moving too fast in a large area on a mount or something the game will stop you and load the rest of the area. This will also at times when loading into a town in some places.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There's some checker boarding issues that make foliage and some of the backgrounds look blurry that doesn't exist when playing it on base PS4.

However I don't know the extent of the issues with the Pro on the frame rate and loading that the base PS4 version has. Some outdoor areas and towns (gondolia) can cause some massive frame drops. There's also the loading issue where if your moving too fast in a large area on a mount or something the game will stop you and load the rest of the area. This will also at times when loading into a town in some places.
I got the checker boarding issue on my Pro but I didn't experience any massive drop in FPS on Pro.

Danjin44

Cutscenes already look like shit on switch, imagine the gameplay lol.
Really? It look good to me. Sure it’s not as good as PS4 version but I definitely can see myself getting this again reply it but tine with Japanese voice.

GametimeUK

Enjoying the game. First JRPG I have enjoyed that isn't a Final Fantasy game since maybe the PS1 days. However, the music is damn annoying. I wish there was some more diversity to it.

sublimit

Banned
The individual is likely talking about a patch for PC & PS4 of the Japanese voice work in the forthcoming Switch release of the game.
Oh i didn't knew the Switch version will have Japanese audio. That's cool although personally for some reason i prefer to play DQ games with English audio.And the VA for DQXI was perfect in my opinion.

Danjin44

Oh i didn't knew the Switch version will have Japanese audio. That's cool although personally for some reason i prefer to play DQ games with English audio.And the VA for DQXI was perfect in my opinion.
Oh yeah. The English voices for DQXI pretty damn good. It was as good as English voices for DQVIII.

I especially liked the voices for Sylvando and Veronica.

Last edited:
I haven't played DQXI yet, but the English VA from gameplay videos I've watched sounds good. I mainly want the Japanese VA for replayability.

Really? It look good to me. Sure it’s not as good as PS4 version but I definitely can see myself getting this again reply it but tine with Japanese voice.

Oh it looked fine on ps4 pro even though it had some nasty pop-in or not sure how to call it with the grass in the overworld. They only showed cutscenes here so I'm a bit cautious.

You're going to replay it? I finished it on draconian (absolutely recommended, some rng bullshit on bossfights but it shouldn't take more than a couple tries and it really keeps the combat interesting without having to grind) with the true ending but why would you want to do that unless they add a shitload of content? :p

Danjin44

Oh it looked fine on ps4 pro even though it had some nasty pop-in or not sure how to call it with the grass in the overworld. They only showed cutscenes here so I'm a bit cautious.

You're going to replay it? I finished it on draconian (absolutely recommended, some rng bullshit on bossfights but it shouldn't take more than a couple tries and it really keeps the combat interesting without having to grind) with the true ending but why would you want to do that unless they add a shitload of content? :p
I was going to reply DQXI regardless if the Switch version came or not but I like I dea playing big RPG like DQXI on both handheld and on TV and also I heard Switch version going have extra stuff.

TLZ

Banned
Cutscenes already look like shit on switch, imagine the gameplay lol.
Yeah it's obviously always going to look worse no matter what. Cool thing though, is you're still able to play the same version everyone's played on PS4. With all past portables the portable versions always look and play different, have a custom made game for them. Different game and different experience totally. So this is cool having the same exact game and experience on portable, even if it looks worse, but still very playable.

It's not my thing, but for the portable crowd this is very cool.

And I'm also hoping it sells a ton on there. Helps us all.

Last edited:

dalekjay

So I finally got around to playing this again being pumped to play some DQXI and continue the game... then.. yea...

AdiBPrO.jpg

giphy.gif
Daaaaaaaamn. I wasn’t prepared, JRPGs got generally so whatever story - I was caught in surprise

decisions

Got this game for Christmas and just started. I'm only an hour but I'm already enamored by it. I'm a couple hours into to GOW and I've already had more memorable moments with this game by exploring the opening towns and stuff.

I think this could be the game I've been waiting for for a long time. Finally, a traditional JRPG with a decent budget and art direction.

Duellist

Just got my ass handed to me by a certain boss guarding a door to a fortress. Lol level 45. Guess i need to do some levelingup and some forging of better gear.

Edit, tried to use spoiler tags to better describe where I am without spoiling it but for some reason they wont work for me.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
Yesterday I got my copy of Dragon Quest art book from amazon and absolutely glorious.
81FgQfWDWiL.jpg
I've got mine yesterday! :D And man i am so glad i got it! If you're a fan of Dragon Quest you really need to get this book!!

Last edited:
Just got my ass handed to me by a certain boss guarding a door to a fortress. Lol level 45. Guess i need to do some levelingup and some forging of better gear.

Edit, tried to use spoiler tags to better describe where I am without spoiling it but for some reason they wont work for me.
Happened to me, too. I went to metal slime island and levelled up a bunch.

RPGCrazied

I saw the nintendo direct and they are getting the game along with orchestrated music. Surely the other versions will get it as well.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The Switch getting the 3DS's 16bit mode is reason enough for me to buy it again.

Shouta

Switch definitely sounds like the definitive edition. I just hope they'd give the Orchestra music for the PS4 and PC version officially, at least because they should have done that from the start really, lol

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Switch definitely sounds like the definitive edition. I just hope they'd give the Orchestra music for the PS4 and PC version officially, at least because they should have done that from the start really, lol

You know that if they release these upgrades for PS4 or PC, at all, it's going to be paid DLC - right?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Glad that I waited for the Switch version. The 16-bit mode and the orchestrated soundtrack are a bonus. I was already committed for the portability alone.

zenspider

Glad that I waited for the Switch version. The 16-bit mode and the orchestrated soundtrack are a bonus. I was already committed for the portability alone.

Same. I can't go back to playing long-ass games on grandpa's stationary consoles.

Those "bonuses" though... pretty good!

In some scenes Switch was better. In others Playstation 4 wins!

I don't expect to get PS4 graphical fidelity out of my Switch.

And PC (where I played it originally) tops them all. Some of these comparisons are strange to me. Fine that they are done though I guess.

Do we really expect the Switch to be better (or even on par) graphically than the PS4? Textures will almost always suffer on Switch compared to the more powerful systems.

Last edited:

FStubbs

The reason the Switch version of DQ11 is hanging in there with the PS4 version is because the Switch version is using a more optimized version of Unreal Engine compared to the older PS4 version.

Fbh

Man I have yet to pick this up and now it just seems like maybe I should wait for the Switch release to see if they release some of the extras on PS4/PC (even if it's paid)

Dakhil

Man I have yet to pick this up and now it just seems like maybe I should wait for the Switch release to see if they release some of the extras on PS4/PC (even if it's paid)

Considering that Nintendo's publishing Dragon Quest XI S outside of Japan, I think the extras are exclusive to the Nintendo Switch version.

Fbh

Considering that Nintendo's publishing Dragon Quest XI S outside of Japan, I think the extras are exclusive to the Nintendo Switch version.

Maybe, but I'll wait for confirmation.

I don't really care about the 8bit stuff and maybe patching in the new story content might be hard. But I'd be disappointed if the nicer looking (and probably running) Ps4 and PC versions are left without the orchestrated soundtrack and Japanese VO

Dakhil

Maybe, but I'll wait for confirmation.

I don't really care about the 8bit stuff and maybe patching in the new story content might be hard. But I'd be disappointed if the nicer looking (and probably running) Ps4 and PC versions are left without the orchestrated soundtrack and Japanese VO

Well, there seems to be a small glimmer of hope since Square Enix said it's unsure whether or not the PlayStation 4 and PC versions of Dragon Quest XI will receive content from Dragon Quest XI S.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I’m really tempted to buy this game on PS4 right now, but the orchestrated version on Switch seems to be worth the wait. However, the release date in fall seems so far away...

blackjon24

I’m really tempted to buy this game on PS4 right now, but the orchestrated version on Switch seems to be worth the wait. However, the release date in fall seems so far away...

Personally I couldn't wait. Loved it on ps4 and might buy it again on switch if the upgrade don't come to the ps4 (heavily discounted though). If you've waited this long might as well get it on switch sucks that it will be full price but oh well. However the game felt beyond complete on ps4 so if you find a good deal on it I see no reason to pass it up.

Ok finally managed to do platinum trophy. Loved every second of playing it.
veronica should stay as adult though, felt kinda underwhelming.
But overall such a great game, one of my favourite jRPGs of all time (I think I'd rank DQ 11 as my 4th). The only thing "lacking" was music imo, I wish it was more memorable and diversified throughtout the world. Eric is best character. Jade's legs are 10/10. So yeah, in conclusion - my dick hard can't wait for the next one.

Virex

Banned
Ok finally managed to do platinum trophy. Loved every second of playing it.
veronica should stay as adult though, felt kinda underwhelming.
But overall such a great game, one of my favourite jRPGs of all time (I think I'd rank DQ 11 as my 4th). The only thing "lacking" was music imo, I wish it was more memorable and diversified throughtout the world. Eric is best character. Jade's legs are 10/10. So yeah, in conclusion - my dick hard can't wait for the next one.
Jade is love.

sublimit

Banned
Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age character Erik is already getting his own one-shot manga in August with Hiro Mashima’s Dragon Quest XI S: The Special Starting Book, but it appears Square Enix has a further announcement in relation to the character planned for Dragon Quest Summer Festival 2019 at Ariake TFT Hall in Tokyo on August 3, according to the latest issue of V-Jump.

While further information concerning the announcement is unknown, it is worth reminding that Square Enix shared artwork of a new Dragon Quest Monsters title in development for console back in November 2018, which appeared to show a young Erik and his sister Mia as the lead characters. (Though while the characters are clearly Erik and Mia, they were only introduced as a certain boy and girl.) That being said, it is possible the new Dragon Quest Monsters title will be officially announced at the event.

Top Bottom