• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to smartphones.

SteveWD40

EGJaHOj.gif

I will buy the shit out of these if they localize it.

As a gamer I fucking love smartphone games* and thank the gaming lords that the portable market isn't utterly dominated by piss-weak region-locked hardware.

I'd imagine Japanese gamers will be pretty pleased. They seem to be far more open to this sort of thing than we are in the west.

*For the most part. There are some proper turds, but what format isn't that true for?

Open to piss-weak unplayable ports ?

WolvenOne

Eh, so long as this is a quick cash in, and not an statement of intent for the franchise, I'm fine with it.

Porting FF3-4 to phones, certainly didn't mean 15 was going Smartphone only.

Taruranto

Dunno what's there is to be so outrage about. The games already got ported on a bunch of consoles already, snes, gb, wii wc, ds, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Granted, seeing this over a proper remake of VIII makes my jimmy rustled too, but... meh?

Eh, so long as this is a quick cash in, and not an statement of intent for the franchise, I'm fine with it.

The Final Fantasy series is a very flashy series compared to Dragon Quest. DQIX was released on the DS the weakest platform of its generation. DQXI will definitely be a smartphone game, best be prepared as this is a sign of things to come :p

dock

I can't see anything about the Dragon Quest games that would be hurt so irreparably by playing on tablet. Probably not my first option, but for plenty of people the convenience of playing it on that device is worth much more to them than the extra controller fidelity. The Final Fantasy 3 and 4 ports on iOS show that it can be handled nicely, and I assume that they'll use the DS/3DS versions as a foundation for the ports of 4, 5, 6 and 7.

Durante

True, but Dragon Quest fans are always quick to point out that DQ always goes to the most popular platform in Japan.
(I really don't think the next will be on phones, at least initially, but after that? Who knows)

FF4 on Android played well enough.

Unplayable? I'm fortunate enough to have two functioning opposable thumbs, so that's not really an issue for me. I do feel for the dolphin community however, I know they were hoping for Kinect versions.

Nice ! You have thumbs, you now just need thumbsticks :D
Now that's the missing part here. Proper controls. And I'm not even talking about the fact of how innapropriate is the platform for long sessions.

Caronte

You don't need buttons for a JRPG, end of story. Fuck, even hard platformers work well.

The resistance against touch interfaces is mostly from ignorance of the platform. Play some games on there and your opinion may change, it works just fine.

No, it doesn't. And I have an iPhone and an iPad. Only games like Cut the Rope or Angry Birds work well there.

Which 'piss-weak unplayable ports' have Square-Enix released thus far?

You're really asking me for bad ports from Square Enix ? I mean, you ever saw Final Fantasy 5 ?
You ever played Theatrythm ?
I mean there's a good reason why people should be worried about port + SE when it comes to iOS or Android.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Opinions rite? I really tried to play 'normal' games (f.e. Secret of mana, Shining force,...) on my Iphone but the virtual d-pad takes out all the fun for me. So in my opinion, even a JRPG requires buttons to be played in a decent way. Touch screen controls just don't cut it.

Actually, I will concede that Secret of Mana plays and looks like shit on iOS, but I wouldn't consider that a traditional JRPG. Anything turn based is just fine on touch.

SmokyDave

Nice ! You have thumbs, you now just need thumbsticks :D
Now that's the missing part here. Proper controls. And I'm not even talking about the fact of how innapropriate is the platform for long sessions.

Thumbsticks? I didn't have you down as a Vita advocate.

I'm sure it'll be fine. It's a turn-based RPG, not a fighting game. There is a controller in the pipeline, but who knows whether they'll patch in support or not. Battery life on my tablet is better than my Vita and 3DS combined, so that's where I'd play if longevity was an issue.

Honestly, it might be worth waiting and seeing how they handle these ports before declaring them the worst thing since... something really bad. You might be pleasantly surprised. It's worth being a little more open minded because everyone can see which way the river is flowing, you'll dive in sooner or later.

Steroyd

I shall await to see if they localise these and then port beg. :p

It's quite surprising, that SE hasn't done to Dragon Quest what they did to Final Fantasy and port the whole series onto every viable system released, it's how I got to play Final Fantasy 1-6 when they never released them in Europe, so I benefited from them whoring out the series the way they did.

Atram

I'm sure it'll be fine. It's a turn-based RPG, not a fighting game. There is a controller in the pipeline, but who knows whether they'll patch in support or not. Battery life on my tablet is better than my Vita and 3DS combined, so that's where I'd play if longevity was an issue.

Honestly, it might be worth waiting and seeing how they handle these ports before declaring them the worst thing since... something really bad. You might be pleasantly surprised. It's worth being a little more open minded because everyone can see which way the river is flowing, you'll dive in sooner or later.

What Tablet are you using? My iPad 4 is empty after playing for 2-3 Hour and this with every Game.

There's another thing here. Tablet battery life ? Sure when you don't play a game. Otherwise it's kinda the same or worse. And I specifically said phones.
There may be a controller in the pipeline but from now, there's only your big thumbs covering the screen while trying to push virtual with no feeling of touch buttons.

SteveWD40

What Tablet are you using? My iPad 4 is empty after playing for 2-3 Hour and this with every Game.

Oo max brightness?

I get about 10 hours out of my mini (mid brightness) for browsing and gaming is about 5-6 hours depending on the game.

That's definitely an issue. It's not an issue you resolve by producing less original content though. Hopefully they'll find a happy medium. Don't forget, the handhelds support IAP too. If that's the way they want to go, they'll go that way regardless of platform.

If gaming is going to be even more prominent on mobile devices, they'll find a "happy medium" since port will run out.

I wonder if I'm going to be happy with it though :p

Yes exactly. Which is why I'm excited for ports of the DQ games coming to iOS. As a port platform it's fantastic.

Coincidentally, fans of the franchise care more about future titles and SE porting 8 games to iOS has serious implications where DQXI will land.

SE's original efforts everywhere for the past decade have been patchy as it is, their original stuff on phones is little better or worse.

Hardly. Their handheld games have been largely great and barring some serious turds like Front Mission Evolved everything has been better than Chaos Rings, Drakerider etc. I guess people are just more forgiving because these games didn't cost $50.

Atram

Oo max brightness?

I get about 10 hours out of my mini (mid brightness) for browsing and gaming is about 5-6 hours depending on the game.

When i use my iPad only for Stuff that is not Gaming i get 10-14 Hours aout of it. With mid brightness it will not last longer than 4 Hour.

Caronte

OK, enjoy missing all the awesome stuff on those pricey gadgets you've got. I'll go back to playing all these impossible games on my iPad...

Have fun. I'll play on the superior devices for gaming. And lol at pricey. As if the iPhone and iPad were cheap.

SmokyDave

2 hours? I think your iPad might be fucked. I get around three times that from my iPad 3. I'll concede I was exaggerating though, I'd forgotten how good my Vita battery life was. I probably get about the same out of that. My 3DS XL is dead every time I pick it up but from memory, it'll do about 4 hours.

Still, these battery life concerns haven't affected me in the real world on any of my devices, so perhaps I'm not the best judge.

Have fun. I'll play on the superior devices for gaming.
How are you finding the Vita port of XCom?

:(

Some responses reak of gut reactions to touch controls and assumptions about things like iaps.

If you cant play a turn based rpg on a touch screen then I feel a bit sorry for you. It's one of the genres that touch screen controls work fine on. If you just found them not as comfey then sure, I can get on board, but saying things like unplayable is pure hyperbole.

The iap digs just show you havnt played many if theri games they have on smartphones. The ports are about £10 and have no iaps. The chaos ring games have none either. There is that whack a mole ATB one that is an IAP fest and then I think dimensions is episodic? So seeing as these are just ports they will be £5.99 for the older ones and £10.99 for the newer ones. Very reasonable price for what they are.

I have played FFIII On iPhone and am playing IV and chaos rings 2 on android nexus 7. Great experience on them all so far. I also plan to get FF V at some point.

So if they bring all this to the UK then that's great for me as I never played one before.

The only reason I would want this on Vita is my selfish want for that thing to have more success but putting that aside there is no reason this idea is bad.

Atram

These are Ports for Mobile, the only badest thing is DQ8 will be ported.

Panic if DQXI will be announced in the end of 2013 for MOBA...

wrowa

I'm definitely excited by this news! There just aren't enough good JRPGs on smartphones yet and DQ ports on iOS do the job. I'm not interested in DQVIII on iOS (the screenshot doesn't help), but having the NES and SNES game on my phone sounds great.

Regarding the prospects of DQXI on smartphones however... I'm conflicted. The 3DS clearly was build up to be the destination of DQXI in the past years and such a game would without a doubt easily sell the series usual 3 to 4 million copies on 3DS. Things seem to be changing right now and releasing DQXI on smartphones would seem to be right on cue with the new direction SE is taking. However, if that's really a good idea remains to be seen. Smartphones are the most popular devices on the market, but will that translate to better DQ sales? Is there really an untapped audience left to conquer? I don't think that there's much room to grow for traditional DQ -- and if they release it for cheaper than usual they might actually get less money in the end. But the real danger is that SE saw Puzzle x Dragons success and is now trying to replicate it. DQ XI as a F2P might become a great success -- but it might just as well turn out to be a huge disaster.

What worries me, is that this seems to be coming after DQX. DQX already was an experiment that while successful for what it was, only appealed to a very narrow subset of the DQ audience. I think that a franchise needs a safe game after a chapter like that -- and while a traditional 3DS DQ would be just that, a F2P smartphone title wouldn't. If the experiment works out, then that's great -- but if it doesn't, I'm worried on the effect it might have on the IP at large if two subsequent mainline titles fail to reach the usual success.

Traditional MH wouldn't work with touch controls like a turn based RPG like DQ.

That's the joke. :p

This basically means that the Dragon Quest VII remake for 3DS will never be localized, right? Nintendo won't localize it since it's on another platform and Square Enix won't localize anything that doesn't have FF or KH in the title.

I feel sorry for anyone who buys SE's overpriced terrible ports on iOS, I tried it with FFIV on iPad, never again. Lazy port with muddy graphics and terrible virtual controls.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
This basically means that the Dragon Quest VII remake for 3DS will never be localized, right? Nintendo won't localize it since it's on another platform and Square Enix won't localize anything that doesn't have FF or KH in the title.

I feel sorry for anyone who buys SE's overpriced terrible ports on iOS, I tried it with FFIV on iPad, never again. Lazy port with muddy graphics and terrible virtual controls.

I don't know. Nintendo seems ok in publishing titles that comes on PC as well, at least. Scribblenauts Unlimited, for example (its huge delay was due to copywright reasons, not for problems with the other versions). They're also ok with cross-play with PC (DQX, Cubemen 2) and...iOS as well (Cubemen, Pure Chess).

Taker666

I'm a little surprised by 8 being announced for smartphones..simply because I'd have thought they'd try and port that to 3DS first and milk that userbase..and then announce a port to phones at a later date.

hongcha

So why should I feel enraged here?

You shouldn't. All of these games are available elsewhere, and all but one of them (DQVIII) are available on multiple platforms already. Dumping them on iOS/android is not a big deal, really. FF games are already on there, it makes sense to add the DQ games too. Easy money.

Now, if SE were really smart, they'd put DQVIII up as a PS2 Classic and DQVII as a PS1 Classic on the PSN store, and DQ1-3 GBC on the 3DS eshop. Oh, and all the NES/SNES DQ games on the Wii U eshop too. But, we all know they aren't that smart, unfortunately.

L~A

Wait, it's portrait?

Looks cramped as hell..

I don't know. Nintendo seems ok in publishing titles that comes on PC as well, at least. Scribblenauts Unlimited, for example (its huge delay was due to copywright reasons, not for problems with the other versions). They're also ok with cross-play with PC (DQX, Cubemen 2) and...iOS as well (Cubemen, Pure Chess).

Huh? Nintendo never gave any details on why they delayed Scribblenauts Unlimited (did they?).

As for the other games listed... none of them are published by Nintendo.

FiraB

Banned
Can we port SE to the Sun?

I'll burn my phone before paying there mobile game prices (minus The World Ends with You -Solo Remix-).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Huh? Nintendo never gave any details on why they delayed Scribblenauts Unlimited (did they?).

As for the other games listed... none of them are published by Nintendo.

Yeah, I know. I used them just as examples of how Nintendo is not against titles having cross-playing with iOS/PC, not just publishing titles coming on PC (in the possibility of DQXI having cross-platform multiplayer with iOS...)

dock

You're really asking me for bad ports from Square Enix ? I mean, you ever saw Final Fantasy 5 ?
You ever played Theatrythm ?
I mean there's a good reason why people should be worried about port + SE when it comes to iOS or Android.
Yes, this was literally what I was asking for. I'd heard and seen nothing but good things from the Final Fantasy 3, 4 and Tactics ports, so I wasn't aware that the other games were less than stellar. That's a great shame. :(

Caronte

Now, if SE were really smart, they'd put DQVIII up as a PS2 Classic and DQVII as a PS1 Classic on the PSN store, and DQ1-3 GBC on the 3DS eshop. Oh, and all the NES/SNES DQ games on the Wii U eshop too. But, we all know they aren't that smart, unfortunately.

Yeah, right. And what else, bring Type-0 to the west? What a terrible idea.

DQ going to smartphones wouldn't bother me at all. For a game like it touch screen controls are fine and graphically it will probably give us better results than on the 3DS anyway.

Cromat

I still don't get why people here hate smartphone gaming.

Cheaper games on devices you already own and carry everywhere that have constant wireless data... Why the hell not?

Top Bottom