• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 1-8 coming to smartphones.

ash_ag

Dragon Quest's Nintendo days are as over as Final Fantasy's PlayStation days.
Square Enix is mobile all-in.

I don't know. Nintendo seems ok in publishing titles that comes on PC as well, at least. Scribblenauts Unlimited, for example (its huge delay was due to copywright reasons, not for problems with the other versions). They're also ok with cross-play with PC (DQX, Cubemen 2) and...iOS as well (Cubemen, Pure Chess).

But as you see with DQX it's not getting localized. It might have something to do with it being an MMO but I imagine localizing an RPG is more effort than other types of games so they probably decide it's not worthwhile if it's not exclusive.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Dragon Quest's Nintendo days are as over as Final Fantasy's PlayStation days.
Square Enix is mobile all-in.

Isn't FF still pretty present on PS brand?
I think that also DQ brand will still be pretty present on Nintendo system too.
Of course, they both will be present on mobile.

ash_ag

Isn't FF still pretty present on PS brand?
I think that also DQ brand will still be pretty present on Nintendo system too.
Of course, they both will be present on mobile.

Exaggerating, but one can see that SE is moving almost all of their non-AAA budget efforts to mobile, and that's what I'm worried about (meaning I'm talking about, say, FFType-1 or DQXI). 3DS is healthy right now, but I wonder for how long portables and mobile will co-exist and keep offering games of different scopes. How long will companies keep their low-scope games on mobile and their high-scope (but lower budget than AAA) games on portables?

I think games like FFATB will almost cease to exist, and games like these ports will become the norm, which raises the question: will third-parties keep offering these experiences for handheld consoles as well as mobile? Will it be profitable for them just because more enthusiast players prefer the former? Especially when even the enthusiasts are (along with billions of other users) on mobile as well? I'm really worried about this. And this applies less to Sony (that already has PS Mobile, and starts to get games like Chaos Rings on Vita) and more to Nintendo.

Help me out here. Why is this such a terrible thing? I'd love to be able to play these on my phone or tablet. I only ever played the first NES Dragon Warrior.

Please understand.

It is not a terrible thing. It's the usual platform warriors battle.

Personally I cannot wait to play DQ8 again this time on my iPad.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Exaggerating, but one can see that SE is moving almost all of their non-AAA budget efforts to mobile, and that's what I'm worried about (meaning I'm talking about, say, FFType-1 or DQXI). 3DS is healthy right now, but I wonder for how long portables and mobile will co-exist and keep offering games of different scopes. How long will companies keep their low-scope games on mobile and their high-scope (but lower budget than AAA) games on portables?

I think games like FFATB will almost cease to exist, and games like these ports will become the norm, which raises the question: will third-parties keep offering these experiences for handheld consoles as well as mobile? Will it be profitable for them just because more enthusiast players prefer the former? Especially when even the enthusiasts are (along with billions of other users) on mobile as well? I'm really worried about this. And this applies less to Sony (that already has PS Mobile, and starts to get games like Chaos Rings on Vita) and more to Nintendo.

Oh but I agree: I hope portable can still find their space on the market.
But, I don't get it: why you fear it more for Nintendo than Sony, if you are the first in saying that it's already happening on Vita/Xperia/Sony brands?

cafemomo

Can't wait for XI smartphone exclusive

This basically means that the Dragon Quest VII remake for 3DS will never be localized, right? Nintendo won't localize it since it's on another platform and Square Enix won't localize anything that doesn't have FF or KH in the title.
There are still plans of Ninty bringing VII to the west after BD IIRC

ash_ag

Help me out here. Why is this such a terrible thing? I'd love to be able to play these on my phone or tablet. I only ever played the first NES Dragon Warrior.

Please understand.

Definitely not terrible. Just a little awkward. It gives a very nice option to enjoy the Dragon Quest series (especially as Square Enix has started integrating Apple's Game Center and the Google Play Games services), but it makes it hard to comprehend the future of gaming.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Making a well loved series available to a shit-ton of people is a 'fuck you'?

I agree
I mean, up to now they are bringing to mobile old ports of games that, being developed primarly for gaming consoles, were and still are "fitting" all the parameters to satisfy us gamers
If and when they'll announce exclusive "main" episodes for mobile, considering how different is the fruition of games on those devices compared to the dedicated gaming consoles, I'll jump on the "f*ck" side

rjc571

Banned
I wonder how much they're charging for the DLC that lets you play the game with a wider aspect ratio than 3:5.

DQ going to smartphones wouldn't bother me at all. For a game like it touch screen controls are fine and graphically it will probably give us better results than on the 3DS anyway.

Remember that these are ports though. I'm kinda wary of them making an original DQVIII-level effort DQ on smartphones. I just hope it isn't some F2P BS and a nice traditional DQ game, but I can't hold my breath for that either - that super light RPG Monsters game they announced certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

I'm surprisingly cool with this. Put DQ8 on Vita or 3DS and it probably doesn't come out here. At least with iOS we have a good chance of it, and it won't lose a whole ton in translation.

3DS and Vita would be better, but I'm realistic. I've been REALLY wanting to play DQ8 again but there's no way I'm spending 80 hours in front of a PS2 again.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
J0tql.gif

That's about what I wanted to say but I think there's some pretty eloquent vernacular out there to really put this in perspective...........

lsdjfhksdajhfkadsjfhgkjfdhkgjdffd

ash_ag

Oh but I agree: I hope portable can still find their space on the market.
But, I don't get it: why you fear it more for Nintendo than Sony, if you are the first in saying that it's already happening on Vita/Xperia/Sony brands?

I think that Sony's ultimate goal to have two gaming platforms: a core, system-exclusive one (PS4, PS5 in the future) and a more casual, cross-system one (available across Xperia, Vita TV and other devices). Their cross-system platform is certain to be available on mobile (through PlayStation Mobile's evolution or successor), and considering the possibility of third-parties not finding it profitable to be on gaming-exclusive handheld systems, that will make their non-AAA budget games (now exclusive to mobile), still be able to find their way on Sony's platform. A Vita successor may as well be a gaming-optimised device supporting the PlayStation Mobile successor.

What makes sense for Nintendo on the other hand is to remove the distinction between handheld and home console. A single portable console that can turn into a home system (through a dock or even streaming) is the most sensible option for them in my opinion. But considering that 3DS's (and its predecessors') appeal was partly third-party games by Square Enix, Capcom, Level-5 and the like, will this future system be strong enough without them? That's not a situation that can necessarily be predicted; for all we know, developers like Square Enix may still offer software for Nintendo's future systems -- it's just that among the options of 1. priority over mobile, 2. equal attention with mobile and 3. a Wii U-like situation, there are several ways this can turn out.

Square just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase DQX for either system, nor will they purchase any of Square's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Square has alienated an entire market with this move.

Square, publicly apologize and cancel DQ for smartphones or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Tobor

Fuck Yes!

I've been waiting for this for years. It's such a no brainer, these games will all work great on mobile.

I only wish we had a guarantee of localization, and that they had announced IX as well.

neoemonk

I would probably actually buy DQ III if it came to the US. I have fond memories of it from growing up and I never had a GBC, so the last time I got to play it was on the NES.

Kouriozan

People just hate mobile gaming, especially when it comes to Squeenix since thats almost all they've been doing lately.

I don't hate mobile gaming, I hate mobile control, it's killing my thumbs to play anything on it.
I have about 50 games on my iPad and it has been 3 months since the last time I played one. I bought it just to play mobile games, but now it's just for browsing internet in my bed.

Why would anybody get mad? Let Square Enix have their fun while they can. Nobody outside of Japan will give a shit about paying £20 for a dated RPG on their phone. SE's chasing the biggest market but doing it in an atypical SE fashion.

Holmes

Why would anybody get mad? Let Square Enix have their fun while they can. Nobody outside of Japan will give a shit about paying £20 for a dated RPG on their phone. SE's chasing the biggest market but doing it in an atypical SE fashion.
I'm not mad, just a bit sad because this probably means DQ8 won't be ported to a handheld, and assuming these come out in English, DQ7 on the 3DS is unlikely to be brought over.

Jamessh

Banned
Given the convenience of tablet/smartphones I may finally get to try some of these lengthy adventures out. Hope they localize :/

Durante

I bought FF4 for 15€ on my tablet. I'm part of the problem :(

But at least having these games available on an open platform is a great step forward.

After these last few years, I can't honestly say that I'll miss Square Enix when they're gone.

I won't say that I hope they fail, but it's getting to the point where their direction does not intersect at all with what I want as a gamer who primarily plays JRPGs.

I'm disappointed. I mean, Square have no obligation to the handheld platforms....they'll go to anything that will rake a profit, but it just feels like such a waste.

I can't stand smartphone / tablet gaming. When I got my Galaxy Nexus a couple of years back, I spent a total $30 just picking up various games. Since then, in that two year+ period, my combined gaming time is less than an hour. I've yet to open a game on my phone in a year and a half.

Such a horrible, imprecise platform...yet sales must be good for FF etc, since Square Enix seem smitten with it. I think the thing that stings the most is that porting games to smartphones is seemingly an inexpensive venture...and when the market inevitably dries up, they won't have really lost anything. Us gamers on the other hand, are left with handhelds / consoles with no ports, translations, HD versions etc.

wrowa

I bought FF4 for 15€ on my tablet. I'm part of the problem :(

But at least having these games available on an open platform is a great step forward.

Well, 15€ isn't bad, so I fail to see the big deal. It's been just a few years since people paid tripple the amount for exactly the same game without asking any questions.

Top Bottom