• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

RPGamer92

Banned
and you think they won't happen? i feel like he has been right so far with everything. then again who knows with suikoden knowing it is from konami. plans could have fallen through.
I asked Verendus about Suikoden after the Kojima fallout was revealed, and he said it was still happening.

antonz

Okay Im very happy with platforms. But Wat? Since when do such mega titles get announced for a platform (NX) with no name, release date, or 1st party titles announced for it from Nintendo? And since when does a 3rd party announce a title for a Nintendo platform before Nintendo does?

When its a Staple of Japanese gaming like Dragon Quest we have seen Nintendo be very flexible

Aeana

I think having 2D on the bottom screen of the 3DS is really neat. Although watching it in motion in gifs and in the video footage, it seemed more like a distraction than anything else since all the action is on the 3D screen.

It's not, though. The action is on whichever screen you use (selected based on whether you're using the dpad or the circle pad). Dialog shows up on the bottom screen if you use the dpad, and you get a different battle interface in that case as well.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I mean, the subtitle was something about time and such right? So he could totally be a time traveller

This is sounding too familiar....

Trunks-Xenoverse-1.jpg

Kouichi

Wow I love what they've done with both versions. The PS4 version is beautiful and the 3D/2D style on the 3DS is so charming. This might be the first DQ I play.

And an NX tease? Neat!

The Giant

Banned
Ha, SE is backtracking the NX announcement. Looks like they weren't mean't to reveal the NX version yet.

SE must have got a call from Nintendo.

Rpgmonkey

Thinking about the 3D/2D idea on the 3DS version still puts a smile on my face.

I haven't watched the full stream yet.

Did they show any actual gameplay from the PS4 version? Like aside from just running around?

They showed that you can jump and stuff but that's it.

sense

It's not, though. The action is on whichever screen you use (selected based on whether you're using the dpad or the circle pad). Dialog shows up on the bottom screen if you use the dpad, and you get a different battle interface in that case as well.

i just don't understand the point of it to be honest. i agree with people saying it is weird. it would be better if they just let us toggle rather than having both at the same time as it seems a bit disorienting

The last thing to complete the PS4 dream is MH5 on the PS4.

MAKE IT HAPPEN CAPCOM.

OH MAN I CANNOT BELIEVE THIS! And it is coming in 2016! JUST ONE YEAR

i love today. today is a good day

Mupod

as someone who has generally low interest in DQ but absolutely loved DQ8 this is great news...right?

If anything I'm even more starved for a good console JRPG with a proper world to explore these days.

3DS was entirely expected, they're not giving up that vast userbase. Happy about this, will get to play it on the move.

Cue salt that the 3DS version will limit the PS4 scope.
I'm hoping this doesn't happen. -_- If it doesn't happen, then I don't care where it is. So no PS3 version, interesting. SE wants to kill the PS3 (thankfully) as well. Looking at it, it seems like a logical choice to release on all those platforms. EDIT: I'm an idiot. Maybe I should try reading before. Great news all around.

Anyone have higher quality gifs then the ones in the main page?

A real possibility of KH3, FFXV and DQXI all coming in one year. DAMN.

Rewatching both footages:
- both versions are bound to be pretty different even in things like map layout. There's a verticality in the PS4 demo that is not found in the 3DS demo for obvious reasons.
- PS4 looks more like a tech demo than anything else, in the sense that 3DS already has battles, story event and characters.
- I hope they scale that town down. I loved the scale in the field but that town looks too tall for my taste. Being empty doesn't help but that character looks a bit lost there.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ha, SE is backtracking the NX announcement. Looks like they weren't mean't to reveal the NX version yet.

SE must have got a call from Nintendo.

I honestly don't know why they'd care if it's not as if it's a negative or anything. For one it shows developers are already willing to support the platform despite the fact it's not out or announced, and it keeps it in the consumers mind, As not everyone will pay attention to whenever Nintendo bothers to announce the port or they do at a later date.

It benefits both parties.

I'm hoping this doesn't happen. -_- If it doesn't happen, then I don't care where it is. So no PS3 version, interesting. SE wants to kill the PS3 (thankfully) as well. Looking at it, it seems like a logical choice to release on all those platforms.

Anyone have higher quality gifs then the ones in the main page?
How can the scope be limited, when content and story are supposed to be identical? Plus both versions have their own developer.

And i guess the reason no PS3 is the same as no Vita, no compatible engine. PS3 has afaik no support for UE4 (just UE3 and 3.5?), the 3DS engine won't run on it too ... as in "not worth the work" and not "technically not possible".

Rewatching both footages:
- both versions are bound to be pretty different even in things like map layout. There's a verticality in the PS4 demo that is not found in the 3DS demo for obvious reasons.
- PS4 looks more like a tech demo than anything else, in the sense that 3DS already has battles, story event and characters.
- I hope they scale that town down. I loved the scale in the field but that town looks too tall for my taste. Being empty doesn't help but that character looks a bit lost there.

There were no NPC's in that town. PS4 version is still in works.

Nice to wake up to good news for (almost) everybody! I love the 2D/3D hook with the 3DS version. It's an nice touch for the 30th anniversary. I wonder which screen I will end up playing more? Do any of you have a strong preference for top screen or bottom screen?

LeleSocho

Banned
Square Enix deserves a round of applause this time *clap clap clap*

The PS4 version looks great and clean, the 3DS version looks incredible and not a dumbed down port and the idea of having both 2D and 3D is absolutely genius.
With one single game they gave diversity of platform and visual style, really really good stuff.

I really hope we will get this game sometime... i have only played 9 and loved every moment of it.

Mifec

Welp guess I'm buying a ps4 when this drops then.

Looks too much like DQ8, the best PS2 rpg for me to miss out on this.

Top Bottom