• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 11 Announced! [PS4/3DS (simultaneous), NX (tentative)]

NX announcement really is so random.

We know nothing about it at all but it (sorta?) got a next mainline Dragon Quest game announced for it. Don't even know if its a handheld or a home console or both lol. Yet SE are like sure sounds good.

I love this current SQE. Their outputs have been really incredible the past few years. And they still have games like KH3/FFVIIR/FFXV/DQ11 coming. Holyshit man how could they manage all of this?

Absolutely no way Sony lets this sit in Japan. It will come out west, even if they have to publish.

#LocalizeDQXI
#DontEvenFuckinThinkAboutIt
#JapanesetoEnglishTranslationDictionaryIfNeedBe

If they localize DQ: Heroes no way they don't localize the main title of the series

Wynnebeck

Banned
The Last Guardian
FF7 remake
Shenmue 3
True DQ8 successor DQ11

Wow. I have wanted this game since the credits rolled in DQ8 (my second favorite rpg of all Damn time). And now it's real. It's really real.

This is the generation of magic and dreams bruhs... someone hold me.

excited.gif

sensui-tomo

I love this current SQE. Their outputs have been really incredible the past few years. And they still have games like KH3/FFVIIR/FFXV/DQ11 coming. Holyshit man how could they manage all of this?

KH team is really efficient, FF15 took forever, ff7 might be outsourced, DQ11 is outsorced, nier 2 is platinum games and SO5 is Tri-ace, its easy to outsource games and have them come out relatively close.

Velcro Fly

I know what will happen.

I'll personally want the 3DS version more. We'll only get the PS4 version. I will be so bitter I won't even buy it. I will become part of the problem.

Somnid

Naming dropping NX is certainly surprising. I bet they don't know much more than we do now but are hoping for the best.

Absolutely no way Sony lets this sit in Japan. It will come out west, even if they have to publish.

#LocalizeDQXI

If they localize DQ: Heroes no way they don't localize the main title of the series

#PlayItInJapanese

I honestly don't know why they'd care if it's not as if it's a negative or anything. For one it shows developers are already willing to support the platform despite the fact it's not out or announced, and it keeps it in the consumers mind, As not everyone will pay attention to whenever Nintendo bothers to announce the port or they do at a later date.

It benefits both parties.

Ehhhh. It could be a negative. It killed my interest in buying a Wii U until a major price drop or NX's backwards compatibility is revealed. I'm not going to pay $200 for a years worth of a console's life.

Super pumped for this game. It looks so beautiful. As soon as a CE is revealed I'm all in on it for PS4.

#LocalizeDQXI

I don't think Sony will allow any PS4 games to sit in Japan, considering PS4 sells like a gangbuster everywhere else.

I think the sequence suggests a causality between the two, i.e. in-house engines aren't worth the trouble for them.

They can be, but Square bungled making in-house engines last generation and it was probably a huge part of why they had so many problems, in addition to what made games like Versus slip so far as to turn into FFXV.

They've learned that lesson, and it seems like FFXV is the last time they'll use an in-house engine, from what I can tell.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There's not really a reason to do a ps4 version if you're not going to release it globally. I'm not worried.

Porcile

You are relying solely on Square-Enix to localise it themselves if you want all three versions. Sony isn't going to pay for the 3DS/NX version to be localised and Nintendo aren't going to pay for the PS4 version to be localised.

gembel

i think DQ11 coming to the west will depend on DQH sales.. same as DQH2 and DQB localisation as well..

so better buy those DQH copies guys

Shahed

There's no way the game is on PS4 and not coming over. A PS4 release is probably built primarily for the West, otherwise it may as well be 3DS only. The only thing up in the air is if the 3DS version comes over which I hope it does

Eurogamer:

abandon all hope

Why? They've only JUST announced the game. That comment means nothing. Likelihood is that the PS4 version at the very least will make it overseas. France will eat it up, given the popularity of Dragon Quest and the PS4 there, for example.

Plus I doubt they'd put all that money into an expensive looking Dragon Quest game for a the console and keep it in Japan where PS4 doesn't look too hot. No doubt it is being made with a global push in mind.

Scrawnton

Square-Enix is one of the most frustrating companies in the world. You announced DQ11 and fans in the west want it badly but you refuse to comment on whether or not you are even going to bring it here to the west. Just give us the damn games and stop screwing us over.

Why? They've only JUST announced the game. That comment means nothing. Likelihood is that the PS4 version at the very least will make it overseas. France will eat it up, given the popularity of Dragon Quest and the PS4 there, for example.

Because it is 2015 and the Japanese gaming market is small compared to the rest of the world now. Announcing a new game for Japan and making fans wonder for years if they will even get it in the west is the type of stuff you pull in the 90s, not in the present day.

There's no way the game is on PS4 and not coming over. A PS4 release is probably built primarily for the West, otherwise it may as well be 3DS only. The only thing up in the air is if the 3DS version comes over which I hope it does

They would be out of their minds to bet the farm on the international success of a Dragon Quest game.

Asd202

There's not really a reason to do a ps4 version if you're not going to release it globally. I'm not worried.

Yeah the PS4 version will come over the question is will the 3DS version come over too. I can see them skipping the 3DS version for NX with Nintendo's approval to help sell the system.

Clunker

Just watched the video in the OP - the battle view on 3DS changes to either first-person or overhead third-person depending on whether you're using the D-pad or Circle Pad!?!

Not enough mindblown.gifs in the world. The "lower screen as a map" shtick has been taken to its logical conclusion and there is no coming back.

Time to restart and actually play through DQ6 since it's the only one I couldn't really get into. I need to go back through the thread more carefully but is there a summary of any gameplay info (is it a DQ3 and 9- style make-your-own or 8-style established characters, etc.)?

We will consider it as we've done in the past for other Dragon Quest titles

:(

I really want that 3DS version, but I can see that if this does get localised only the PS4 version will. Not like I mind that either, from what they showed the game looks great. But I really can't see the 3DS version coming out over here. This just reminds me of Ni No Kuni, PS3/DS version but we only got the PS3 version. Though I think the giant spell book was way more of a factor in that localisation. I just want this gut feeling to go away.

I'm incredibly optimistic this is coming over purely because they are making a PS4 version. So happy I will be able to play one of these in HD. I liked the DS games but I've wanted to see one of these with full on production value since forever.

Tadale

I am pacing my excitement.

I remember the announcement for DQ IX very well - it was early 2007. That game didn't come out in the states until 2010, and that was back when DQ games came out in the west.

Neither am I. People are aware that the PS4 has a lower userbase in Japan than even the Wii U, right? Square isn't making an expensive revamped version of DQXI because of potential Japanese sales.

marrec

Banned

Exactly. PS4 is doing gangbusters everywhere BUT Japan, why spend the money developing for it if you're going to only release it in the worst possible territory?

Top Bottom