• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

teekun

Vamphuntr said:
I don't like these kind of features. If you want to lock content and make it available only in multiplayer, at least make it online multiplayer. None of my friends are getting this so it's kinda frustrating. Also pretty sure that using tag mode while walking around where I live won't net me anything either.

Yeah, this is the toughest part of that mode. If you don't live in a densely populated area, what are the chances of coming across anyone with the game? I think if this is going to thrive, there's going to need to be an online community of sorts, with designated meetup locations, things like that. That's kind of how it's being done in Japan right now isn't it?

teekun said:
Yeah, this is the toughest part of that mode. If you don't live in a densely populated area, what are the chances of coming across anyone with the game? I think if this is going to thrive, there's going to need to be an online community of sorts, with designated meetup locations, things like that. That's kind of how it's being done in Japan right now isn't it?
I was thinking the same thing. THe social aspect obviously works well in a place like japan. If you live in nowhere washington, you're gonna miss out on some of the really cool aspects of this game.

I'm really looking forward to this, but I'm afraid I'm going to miss so much not being able to be around people who play it. I only know one person locally who's getting it.

teekun said:
Actually, in Japan, you can just head to a major electronics district of any big city and you should be able to find people to play with. Certainly not like a year ago when it first came out and you could walk down the streets of a countryside town and run into people to play with, but it's still pretty easy.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
teekun said:
I guess conserving battery life is an issue, but seeing as I end up charging my DS every day when I'm using it regularly, I don't have much of a problem with that. Sure I'd rather be actively playing it, but if I'm somewhere that I can't play, yet have my DS on me, why not put it in tag mode?

As for holding content hostage... it's randomly generated. I suppose they could include a random map generator that lets you create them yourself, but that kind of destroys the social aspect of trading maps with nice rewards, and so on.

Randomly generated? That's even worse (see below).
I use a flash cart with my DS.
Those tend to suck up battery life, even when the system is in sleep mode.
Tag mode is never worth the trade off for me.
Particularly since at 4 hours of my day are spent commuting.

john tv said:
Way to miss pretty much the best part of the game. :)

Haha, if I didn't know better, I'd say this is a troll attempt!
Not playing a game being the best part of it? ;p
More seriously, I don't see how a tag mode could possibly be considered the best part of anything. For me, it'd be the idea of some random looting/exploring. Not patiently waiting for a silly (and random) on-cart content unlock flag. I'd much rather just have that content available to me at my leisure.

teekun

Mejilan said:
Not patiently waiting for a silly (and random) on-cart content unlock flag.

You keep saying this, but what does it even mean? There is no "flag"

You're either going to get random maps from other users, or you don't get new content from anyone. There isn't a list of maps you can go through like a checklist and unlock them.

Tag mode is the "best part" because after you're done with the content on the cart, it's a way to potentially extend the life of your game near infinitely. Sure you might get bored once you max out your characters, but you always have that option of potentially getting new content from other users to explore.

No cheat code is going to put people's characters in your inn, showing off whatever weird outfit they happened to be wearing when they tagged you. No cheat code is going to give you some of the random maps.

DQ9 has a fully featured single-player mode, but what really makes the game special are the social aspects, which include both the multiplayer and the tag features. Writing off half the social aspect as nothing more than a "content unlock flag" is kind of missing the point in spectacular fashion.

Dineren

Banned
The social aspects sound great, but unfortunately outside of the Gamestop event many people here won't get to experience it. I can see why it would be desirable to have at the least a method to obtain random treasure maps in game for people without access (maybe there already is). It's a shame DS wireless tunneling never took off like the PSP did.

vagabondarts said:
I will put it in tag mode when I'm out and about and on vacation, and hope for the best.
...better than just writing it off outright :)

who knows, maybe I will catch some tags
I'll definitely be carrying my DS in tag mode with me, but even if I carry it around with me 24/7 I can't imagine getting one even if the game sells millions. Hopefully I'm wrong.

I will put it in tag mode when I'm out and about and on vacation, and hope for the best.
...better than just writing it off outright :)

who knows, maybe I will catch some tags

Mejilan

teekun said:
You keep saying this, but what does it even mean? There is no "flag"

You're either going to get random maps from other users, or you don't get new content from anyone. There isn't a list of maps you can go through like a checklist and unlock them.

Tag mode is the "best part" because after you're done with the content on the cart, it's a way to potentially extend the life of your game near infinitely. Sure you might get bored once you max out your characters, but you always have that option of potentially getting new content from other users to explore.

I'd be really surprised if the game's generating on-the-fly new content in any fashion. Or even unique configurations of pre-existing content.
I know that the DLC maps are all actually on the cart, and that you're just downloading bullshit little unlock flags, much like the DLC puzzles in the Layton games.
I wouldn't be shocked if the tag mode goodies are nothing more than randomly distributed unlock keys.
Regardless, I fully expect the code-generating and game-hacking community to figure out the ins and outs of it, granting me access to most, if not all, of the content without the ridiculous hoop-jumping! Best of both worlds. You get your fun, and I get mine!

Segata Sanshiro said:
No cheat code is going to put people's characters in your inn, showing off whatever weird outfit they happened to be wearing when they tagged you. No cheat code is going to give you some of the random maps.

DQ9 has a fully featured single-player mode, but what really makes the game special are the social aspects, which include both the multiplayer and the tag features. Writing off half the social aspect as nothing more than a "content unlock flag" is kind of missing the point in spectacular fashion.

Good thing for me that I've always considered those kinds of social aspects in games to be a completely pointless waste of time! If I really cared about the inane ways people customized their characters, I catch the Youtube showing off. Thankfully, I don't care. And much how I can't be bothered to look up people's customizations during the idle downtime I surf the net, I'd be even LESS inclined to waste non-idle hours seeing them on my DS!

I mean, I'm not likely to ever meet a friend that actually owns the game. But if I did, I'd much rather play the meat and potatoes (actual multiplayer), than waste time "tagging" each other or swapping costume get-ups. In any event, I'd hardly consider that "half" of the post-single-player content. And the least special, by far.

teekun

Mejilan said:
I know that the DLC maps are all actually on the cart, and that you're just downloading bullshit little unlock flags, much like the DLC puzzles in the Layton games.

No, you in fact know absolutely nothing.

Mejilan

teekun said:
No, you in fact know absolutely nothing.

No, I do know that much, at least. I've seen the cheat codes that unlock all of the DLC content in the JP game. Before they were normally available to regular consumers. It was all pre-existing content stored right there on the cart. Again, like the Layton puzzles. And again, very easily unlocked.

Shouta

The Tag Mode bothered the crap out of me in the JP version because there really isn't much point other than to show off characters to some random person you don't know and to get a few maps you may want. It's even worse if you don't live in a place that's crowded.

Mejilan said:
Good thing for me that I've always considered those kinds of social aspects in games to be a completely pointless waste of time! If I really cared about the inane ways people customized their characters, I catch the Youtube showing off. Thankfully, I don't care. And much how I can't be bothered to look up people's customizations during the idle downtime I surf the net, I'd be even LESS inclined to waste non-idle hours seeing them on my DS!

I mean, I'm not likely to ever meet a friend that actually owns the game. But if I did, I'd much rather play the meat and potatoes (actual multiplayer), than waste time "tagging" each other or swapping costume get-ups. In any event, I'd hardly consider that "half" of the post-single-player content. And the least special, by far.
Mm, I said half the social content, not half the post-single-player content. I guess the social stuff isn't going to matter to everyone, but it is definitely what makes the game special. And it won't be the same if you just unlock it via cheat, but since you don't seem to care about sharing stuff with other people, I guess it won't matter either way.

Enjoy the game as you like best, of course, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling some kind of weird pity for you right now, Mej.

teekun

Mejilan said:
No, I do know that much, at least. I've seen the cheat codes that unlock all of the DLC content in the JP game. Before they were normally available to regular consumers. It was all pre-existing content stored right there on the cart. Again, like the Layton puzzles. And again, very easily unlocked.

We're talking about two completely different things here. There are two ways to add content to the game.

One is what you're referring to, which is an online store that uses in-game currency. Every week new items are made available that you can buy. Those are unlocks, but they are also just items, not actual gameplay content per se. This does not involve communications with other players at all, and is not tag mode.

The second are truly random maps that you trade with other players. This is what tag mode is for, and what we are talking about. You cannot just "unlock" maps, because they are truly randomly generated.

Like I said, you have no idea what you're going on about.

Shouta

Segata Sanshiro said:
Mm, I said half the social content, not half the post-single-player content. I guess the social stuff isn't going to matter to everyone, but it is definitely what makes the game special. And it won't be the same if you just unlock it via cheat, but since you don't seem to care about sharing stuff with other people, I guess it won't matter either way.

Enjoy the game as you like best, of course, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling some kind of weird pity for you right now, Mej.

Personally, the social aspect is pretty half-assed to me. Showing off your character and trading maps isn't much of anything and while there's the multiplayer element, it's local only and thus you'd have to play it with friends that have the game because most folks don't do pick-ups in an ad-hoc game.

teekun said:
We're talking about two completely different things here. There are two ways to add content to the game.

One is what you're referring to, which is an online store that uses in-game currency. Every week new items are made available that you can buy. Those are unlocks, but they are also just items, not actual gameplay content per se. This does not involve communications with other players at all, and is not tag mode.

The second are truly random maps that you trade with other players. This is what tag mode is for, and what we are talking about. You cannot just "unlock" maps, because they are truly randomly generated.

There's a lot of locked content in the game that's already on the cart but flagged off until something says to turn it on. It's motsly quests

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I am chomping at the bit for this game. I've been dying for a new, good old JRPG to play for months.

I haven't been following this game THAT closely. Will I still be able to get plenty of enjoyment out of it without anyone to play with or any internet connectivity? I keep hearing little bits and pieces about the Tag system and multiplayer that sound pretty cool.

also I'm a little worried about how well the game will do. It's a stupid reason, but it seems really quiet for an official thread for the game that caused such a megaton back in the day. I know it's no real indication, but it seems it's only to be appealing to the same ole' hardcore DQ fans and not garnering much new interest.

Another anecdote: I got hooked with DQVIII and loved DQ IV, and couldn't be more stoked for this, but I I'm trying to get my pokemon' lovin friends on board and It's not going so well.

I just really want it to do well : (

Vamphuntr

teekun said:

There are also map/quest you get via DLC. There is also an action replay code to get randomly generated treasure map from chests.

Kodiak said:
I am chomping at the bit for this game. I've been dying for a new, good old JRPG to play for months.

I haven't been following this game THAT closely. Will I still be able to get plenty of enjoyment out of it without anyone to play with or any internet connectivity? I keep hearing little bits and pieces about the Tag system and multiplayer that sound pretty cool.
Yeah, it's still a full-featured single-player game. Taken just on the single-player stuff, it's probably middle-of-the-road as far as DQs go, but that's a pretty friggin' awesome road, so I doubt anyone will mind.

teekun

Shouta said:
There's a lot of locked content in the game that's already on the cart but flagged off until something says to turn it on. It's motsly quests

But how are they unlocked? I mean, aren't all the quests opened up by playing the game? It was my understanding that the tag-mode stuff was specific to treasure maps, and that's it. Everything else was either opened up by playing the game or accessing the online shop.

Vamphuntr said:
There are also map/quest you get via DLC. There is also an action replay code to get randomly generated treasure map from chests.

Right, so its still the stuff you get online. I thought that was just items. In any case, it's got nothing to do with tag mode, which is the main point here.

Shouta

teekun said:
But how are they unlocked? I mean, aren't all the quests opened up by playing the game? It was my understanding that the tag-mode stuff was specific to treasure maps, and that's it. Everything else was either opened up by playing the game or accessing the online shop.

Access the online store once per week to get quests unlocked. It has nothing to do with Tag mode. Tag mode is only for maps and that's it. There's apparently codes to generate maps too so uh, yeah...

One interesting pattern I've noticed is that the JGAF members who loved DQ9 are the ones who got into the multiplayer/social stuff, while the JGAF members who were so-so on it were the ones that didn't do that stuff so much due to geography/population density issues.

Shouta said:
Access the online store once per week to get quests unlocked. It has nothing to do with Tag mode. Tag mode is only for maps and that's it. There's apparently codes to generate maps too so uh, yeah...
Tag mode is also to make your inn bigger, which is a requirement to get some items. But that certainly could be unlocked with a cheat code as well.

Shouta

Segata Sanshiro said:
One interesting pattern I've noticed is that the JGAF members who loved DQ9 are the ones who got into the multiplayer/social stuff, while the JGAF members who were so-so on it were the ones that didn't do that stuff so much due to geography/population density issues.

Or the ones that liked DQ9 liked collecting people and the ones that didn't don't. I didn't like DQ9 and I live in a small town but it wasn't because of the Tag mode as I was all over Kyoto, Osaka, and Tokyo when I was playing it.

Shouta said:
Or the ones that liked DQ9 liked collecting people and the ones that didn't don't. I didn't like DQ9 and I live in a small town but it wasn't because of the Tag mode as I was all over Kyoto, Osaka, and Tokyo when I was playing it.
Well, I would assume "got into" would imply "liked", but I suppose I could have and should have used clearer words.

teekun

Shouta said:

Well in that case, I suppose he can have fun inputting random codes and playing the maps that result from them.

Mejilan

teekun said:

No, I know exactly what I'm talking about.

The only item I wasn't completely sure about was how the "random" maps worked.
Whether they were pre-existing content unlocked via keys (like the "DLC" maps which I discussed in my earlier post), or whether they're pseudo-random configurations of level/monster/loot set data.
As it turns out, it IS the latter. According to those wily devils on GameFAQs and GBATemp, anywho.

Still not a big deal, because there are a variety of different ways to get said random maps. Rare drops (yay). Quest rewards (yay). Tag mode (boo). And for those of us that like to mitigate the annoying hoop-jumping, random map generating cheat codes (double yay)!

In any event, it seems like you can only hold 99 of these maps. And the "DLC" maps number 64. But the main point is, that I won't have to engage in tag mode. So I'm happy! Or perhaps not so happy, since such "randomized" shenanigans tend to be very poorly implemented in these kinds of games. (See FF I&II Dawn of Souls). I do hope to be pleasantly surprised, though. Time will tell.

I wasn't talking about the wifi shop at all, which does, in fact, sell items.
But that's no concern because... it's a shop, and so not dependent on the dubious tagging feature that I so take issue with.

Shouta

teekun said:
Well in that case, I suppose he can have fun inputting random codes and playing the maps that result from them.

Yep. I only did the Tag mode a bunch of times to get the proper maps I wanted (since folks would be carrying ones with the floors full of Metals) other than that, I played the game by myself since I have no one to play in my town and no one in the cities wants to do pick-up games.

Mejilan

teekun said:

Haha. Inputting codes? Hardly.
It's called downloading an updated database of codes and selecting said code from a handy list just prior to the game launching. I haven't inputted codes since... the NES Game Genie days? *shudder*

I like LESS hoop-jumping, not more! :)

I called a local NJ store today and they said to check back tomorrow because they might have it in. So street-breaking may be on the horizon, I'll check back tomorrow if I get the good news.

robotzombie said:
I called a local NJ store today and they said to check back tomorrow because they might have it in. So street-breaking may be on the horizon, I'll check back tomorrow if I get the good news.
Oh? What town? It's not Bob's Video Time in Brick, is it?

antispin

Isn't there some way to simulate Tag mode / LAN over WiFi and thus not rely on your local population but GAF/internet to deliver the goods?

Otheradam

Stores would have to get copies tomorrow or Friday for a Sunday launch. Expect ma and pa stores in NYC to break street date. :lol I think I'm going to wait til Sunday to get it at Toys R Us for the giftcard though.

Otheradam said:
Stores would have to get copies tomorrow or Friday for a Sunday launch. Expect ma and pa stores in NYC to break street date. :lol I think I'm going to wait til Sunday to get it at Toys R Us for the giftcard though.

I'll have this tomorrow. Sucks it was delayed because of the Holiday..

Mejilan

Otheradam said:

Oh shit! I've been taking the July 20-something EU date as the US date!
Didn't realize this was hitting THIS Sunday.
Tomorrow (and if need be, Friday) during my lunch break, I need to scope out downtown NY to see if my old mom & pop shop haunts are still around!
If I can snag this BEFORE my Saturday flight overseas...

:eek:

teekun said:

Which is different from wandering around a random city in the United States hoping that someone else is playing this how?

Besides, you're missing the point where there is a code that generates random maps. Aka, it emulates tag mode for the sake of gaining maps.

Mejilan

Freyjadour said:
Which is different from wandering around a random city in the United States hoping that someone else is playing this how?

Different in that tag mode can be an unnecessary hassle for some, whereas manually inputting codes is just unnecessary for all! Well, except for those that maintain the DS cheat code database on GBATemp, I suppose! ;p

antispin

Mejilan said:
Different in that tag mode can be an unnecessary hassle for some, whereas manually inputting codes is just unnecessary for all! Well, except for those that maintain the DS cheat code database on GBATemp, I suppose! ;p

Some of us don't even have the option to cheat :( This sucks the most about this game and similar games, and it's coming from experience seeing how badly I need those Demon Fossils in Spirit Tracks for the dragon train. Tag mode is a damn stupid idea for someone like myself, but I see its appeal for those blessed with a gaming population and the people density to go along. Hopefully, the 3DS will extend this to over a WAN and not limit it to a LAN:

Nintendo/Sony discussing 3G net connections for 3DS/PSP 2
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=254871

I can see both sides of tag mod argument. Yes, it sucks that in Us it'll be hard to fully utilize the feature. But it will be awesome to play with when you can utilize it. I plan to stop by the 7/31 DQIX event at my local Gamestop and my wife & I will be at PAX this September. Those'll probably the only times I'll get any tags. But I'm still looking forward to both events, especially PAX! :D

Aeana

It seems there is a lot of confusion about how tag mode/treasure maps work. They aren't completely randomly generated and then passed around. Basically, when a map is transmitted via tag mode, only 2 values are transmitted (in addition to the name of the person who "discovered" the map, of course): map number, and map type. From these numbers, the game is able to generate a unique map. Any time those 2 numbers are together, though, the generated map will always be the same. So someone can very easily "unlock" a popular map via a cheat code by adding its bytes to their game.

For example, the code for the massively popular Masayuki map is simply this:

220F96A5 000000BB
120F96A8 00000E5C

Map number BB, map type 0E5C.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't really care for the tag mode. I enjoyed thoroughly what little I completed in my DQ9 import compared to the end-game shenanigans. The only reason I stopped playing it was the fact that my Japanese is poor.

antispin said:
Some of us don't even have the option to cheat :( This sucks the most about this game and similar games, and it's coming from experience seeing how badly I need those Demon Fossils in Spirit Tracks for the dragon train. Tag mode is a damn stupid idea for someone like myself, but I see its appeal for those blessed with a gaming population and the people density to go along. Hopefully, the 3DS will extend this to over a WAN and not limit it to a LAN:

Nintendo/Sony discussing 3G net connections for 3DS/PSP 2
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=254871
Indeed it seems that online communication is the next step for things like this. It is definitely a great idea but limited in the scope of participants. Keeping the same theme toward ideas like this but opening it up to allow everyone to be afforded these opportunities would quell any notion of bad vibes among gamers.

Bentendo

rockman zx said:
Is the game worth for one player?.

That's what I was wondering. I'm very curious about this because I know there is no chance in Hell I'll be able to find someone to play with, so it really comes down to whether or not it's fun for single player. For reference I loved the Final Fantasy DS remakes.

Aeana

Really, guys, it's a full-spec Dragon Quest game that just happens to have social features. They are in no way required.

Top Bottom