• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Chairhome

Hex said:
If you have Prime, stay with Amazon and no tax.
If you do not have prime, go with Toys R Us
Yeah, I don't have prime. But I spend less if I go with Amazon (as opposed to paying full price then having to go to TRU again which is about 30-40 min away). I'm sure my wife will want me to go to TRU to get it so we can use the gift card on baby formula, haha.

Teknoman

Aeana said:

Aww missed the DQVIII voiced accents, either way, cant wait for mine to arrive Monday.

Not sure why anyone would think the game could be more MP focused than SP. It's a main series Dragon Quest game.

teekun

Aeana said:
For example, the code for the massively popular Masayuki map is simply this:

220F96A5 000000BB
120F96A8 00000E5C

Map number BB, map type 0E5C.

Well technically that doesn't mean they aren't "random" really. I mean, we're still talking tens of thousands of possible maps, and they wouldn't have been designed by hand. It sounds more like a random generator that takes a seed value as the number and type. That way you will always end up with the same result given the same seed value, which allows them to use less memory to store the received map data.

But yeah, it does make it relatively easy to identify a certain map and insert the code via a hack that way too. But at the same time, it makes it more difficult to generate a map with desired elements unless you've already mapped what every single value relates to, which is a massive undertaking hardly worth doing.

Anyways, I guess they reason the who idea of generating your own maps irks me is because of the way it destroys the social aspect. To me it seems like the nature of tag mode would allow one player to stumble upon an amazing map, which would get shared and propagated among other users with their name attached to it. To my understanding that's how it worked in Japan, right? I suppose if you have absolutely zero chance of encountering anyone who plays the game, that would be your only way to experience this feature, it's just a shame it would have to come to that.

BooJoh

The real issue here is that there's just a lot more rural area in North America than in Japan.

I live in a county with a population around 3,000 people, the nearest sizable town is about 20 miles away and only has a population of about 9,000. I have to travel about 50 miles to get to a real city, which is where the nearest GameStop participating in the event is.

Needless to say, other than possibly attending that event if I have any other reason to head that far out, I have literally no chance of using tag mode unless I have local friends who will buy the game (which I don't.)

For me, every new game that comes out with local wireless multiplayer and no online might as well have no multiplayer at all. Except that they do, and I'm missing out on content because of it.

Aeana

teekun said:
Anyways, I guess they reason the who idea of generating your own maps irks me is because of the way it destroys the social aspect. To me it seems like the nature of tag mode would allow one player to stumble upon an amazing map, which would get shared and propagated among other users with their name attached to it. To my understanding that's how it worked in Japan, right? I suppose if you have absolutely zero chance of encountering anyone who plays the game, that would be your only way to experience this feature, it's just a shame it would have to come to that.
If the US were Japan, I would agree with you entirely. I still agree in theory. But in the US, DQ9 players are going to be so spread out that it just isn't going to work like it was designed to. It's really very unfortunate.

Vamphuntr

Aeana said:
If the US were Japan, I would agree with you entirely. I still agree in theory. But in the US, DQ9 players are going to be so spread out that it just isn't going to work like it was designed to. It's really very unfortunate.

I find it disheartening that they did not implement an online multiplayer system. I mean they went ahead and made one for FFCC Echoes of time. Beat it from start to finish online. It's a much lower budget game that no one cared about. DQ9 won't be as popular in NA as it was in Japan so finding players will be difficult. They worked so hard on multiplayer features that to see them unused is quite depressing. At least from my understanding your not missing any content? You can still get treasure maps in the game, you only can't experience the random factor that is introduced by sharing it with friends right? MGS Peace Walker is another kind of those game. At least I was able to complete every missions and extra missions alone.

bluemax

Banned
So I'm trying to decide, should I buy this game early on Friday or buy on Amazon and save a few bucks? The story I buy early from usually lowers game prices by a few bucks, but sales tax might make it back to about $35.

Decisions.

BooJoh

On the subject of being able to tag with few people, can you tag the same person twice, giving each other two different maps, or is the map that's unlocked specific to your game/system combo?

Aeana

BooJoh said:
On the subject of being able to tag with few people, can you tag the same person twice, giving each other two different maps, or is the map that's unlocked specific to your game/system combo?
You can tag with the same person twice provided both sides delete each other from their inns each time.

john tv

It's fascinating how different the experience can be depending on where you live. After I spent 50-60 hours on the main quest, I probably spent another...I dunno, 100 or so hours just trading maps in tag mode and playing with those. That was by -far- the best part of the game for me. I realize you can't all experience it in the same way living in the US (or wherever -- basically not Japan), but I definitely feel for you, because it's an amazing experience.

Aeana

LALILULELO said:
Anyone knows if it possible to link up with he JP version for multiplay?
Word is that tag mode works between all versions, but multiplayer is only between US and EU.

john tv said:
It's fascinating how different the experience can be depending on where you live. After I spent 50-60 hours on the main quest, I probably spent another...I dunno, 100 or so hours just trading maps in tag mode and playing with those. That was by -far- the best part of the game for me. I realize you can't all experience it in the same way living in the US (or wherever -- basically not Japan), but I definitely feel for you, because it's an amazing experience.
I think with DQ I will still give tag mode a chance. The likelihood of me trading even one map with someone is virtually zero, but how glorious would it be if it actually works even just one time! :p

Pyrokai

Another unfortunate thing regarding how tag mode won't be quite as rivetting in the US as in Japan is because the sheer number of people will be far less in a vastly larger country. Japan sold in the millions whereas here it will be lucky to sell even half a million (and I'm not counting on that). So the combination of an extremely dense population with millions having the game versus a very spaced out population with thousands having the game makes it an unfortunate feature for Americans.

Not saying it won't be awesome when it does all come together, though. The GameStop event is one way to push the social aspect. And who knows, even living in a city with ~75,000 might provide some pleasant surprises :) .

I'm also trying to convince anyone I can think of who might want play the game to buy it so we can all play together :p

JKTrix

I'm going to the NY launch event. Nice 4 hour trip there, hang at the store for a while, then 4 hours on the bus back to dig right into the game.

Aeana

Freyjadour said:
"For the first time in the series, your party is entirely comprised of mute adventurers"

Someone didn't do their homework.
I didn't even see that line. That makes his earlier remark about having been there nearly from the beginning really silly.

botticus

zigg said:
30-100 feet, Nintendo says.
Yeah, that's probably not enough. I was thinking maybe if I took it with me as I drove around there might be a chance of tagging someone, but 100 feet wouldn't reach most buildings. I might have a tough time explaining "Tag Mode" to the police officer when I'm reported for wandering around outside an elementary school.

Aeana said:
I didn't even see that line. That makes his earlier remark about having been there nearly from the beginning really silly.
If it was a trivial piece of info about DQVI or something, I'd understand, but 3 did pretty well for the U.S. didn't it? I've known quite a few who started DQ with 3 GBC.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Aeana said:

in reference to IX, does he mean no voice acting or no character dialogue from your party?

zigg

botticus said:
Yeah, that's probably not enough. I was thinking maybe if I took it with me as I drove around there might be a chance of tagging someone, but 100 feet wouldn't reach most buildings. I might have a tough time explaining "Tag Mode" to the police officer when I'm reported for wandering around outside an elementary school.

It'd probably be cut down being in the car, too. When I was playing Treasure World (which isn't quite the same thing, since the DS isn't actually broadcasting, just listening for wireless beacons) I found I'd find more "stars" by opening the window and holding it up a little. And that's enough public exposition about how many pedestrians I put in danger back then. :lol

Unrelated, but on-topic: I've never played a mainline DQ game before and I'm leaning pretty seriously toward picking this one up next week.

Aeana

levious said:
in reference to IX, does he mean no voice acting or no character dialogue from your party?
The latter. Your party members are all created, and hence have no personalities or dialog. That's not to say there's no talking, since Sandy/Stella tags along and has plenty to say at any moment.

But the game doesn't have any voice acting, either.

zigg said:
It'd probably be cut down being in the car, too. When I was playing Treasure World (which isn't quite the same thing, since the DS isn't actually broadcasting, just listening for wireless beacons) I found I'd find more "stars" by opening the window and holding it up a little. And that's enough public exposition about how many pedestrians I put in danger back then. :lol.
lol don't feel bad you weren't the only one hahaha

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
IIRC The World Ends With You had some sort of pin experience accrual that was relegated to it's equivalent of a tag mode, but allowed the game to basically ping with any other form of Nintendo wireless game/device. I'm fairly sure I would ping with my Wii when at home! I can see why DQ9 doesn't work that way, but it is a shame that it doesn't.

So... Any broken street dates yet?

Aeana

Mejilan said:
IIRC The World Ends With You had some sort of pin experience accrual that was relegated to it's equivalent of a tag mode, but allowed the game to basically ping with any other form of Nintendo wireless game/device. I'm fairly sure I would ping with my Wii when at home! I can see why DQ9 doesn't work that way, but it is a shame that it doesn't.

So... Any broken street dates yet?
Apparently some local stores broke the date, as a few people have posted elsewhere about having it. But it doesn't seem very widespread.

Mejilan

Awesome. That means that some stores already received their shipments. Gonna have to hunt around today, methinks.

Big B

after being massively disappointed by P3P (just not my kind of game), here's hoping I'll have at least one summer RPG to play.

Oxx

I wish the game was already out.

I've been using peak-time public transport in the second biggest city in England for the last couple of weeks.

Short of traveling down to London (or flying to Tokyo), this would probably be my best chance of encountering any other DQIX owners.

Bentendo

I have a question:

When I change a class, I read in Nintendo Power that it starts the character's level back at 1. I was wondering if when I change classes back to the class I was just at, if I'll still be at level 1 or at the level I was at when I changed. For example

I'm class X and at level 5
I change to class Y and am back at level 1
When I change back to class X, will I be at level 5 again or at level 1

So, in other words, will it revert me back to level 1 everytime I change classes even if I've progressed quite a bit in one class?

Oxx

Sweet. Edge is here. Looking forward to reading the review.

It's pretty funny seeing DS screens blown-up so prominently in a magazine.

Aeana

Bentendo said:
I have a question:

When I change a class, I read in Nintendo Power that it starts the character's level back at 1. I was wondering if when I change classes back to the class I was just at, if I'll still be at level 1 or at the level I was at when I changed. For example

I'm class X and at level 5
I change to class Y and am back at level 1
When I change back to class X, will I be at level 5 again or at level 1

So, in other words, will it revert me back to level 1 everytime I change classes even if I've progressed quite a bit in one class?
No. Level warrior up to 15, switch to mage and level it up to 12, switch back to warrior and warrior is still 15. Mage is still 12. No progress is ever lost.

Anyone found any stores in NJ that have broken street yet. The place where I normally go for stuff like this doesn't stock DS games. :/

Mejilan

By the gaming gods, bless NYC's street-breaking mom & pop shops. I just bought their only copy!

rush777

Aeana said:
The latter. Your party members are all created, and hence have no personalities or dialog. That's not to say there's no talking, since Sandy/Stella tags along and has plenty to say at any moment.

But the game doesn't have any voice acting, either.

Wow thats kind of a downer after just finishing DQ 4 and 5, although I didn't expect any voice acting.

For those that have finished the game, where does DQ IX rank for you in the series??

Bentendo

Aeana said:
No. Level warrior up to 15, switch to mage and level it up to 12, switch back to warrior and warrior is still 15. Mage is still 12. No progress is ever lost.

That's good news. :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Anybody else going to the NYC launch event? I'm highly considering it... too bad Horii is only signing autographs for the first 30 people on line. NYC lines get REALLY long really fast... and I'm too lazy to stay awake and wait on line for like a few hours. :p

Link Man

Banned
Mejilan said:
By the gaming gods, bless NYC's street-breaking mom & pop shops. I just bought their only copy!
Wait, you live in one of the most densely-populated cities in North America, and you were complaining about tag mode?

SMH.

Top Bottom