• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Shouta

farnham said:
funny how dai has nothing to do with the main games.. he isnt even loto is he ?

i remember how he had like two dragon insignias each one on one of his fists after he killed his father or something.

Dai is a shounen fight series using Dragon Quest conventions so it doesn't have Loto or any thing. Still a really good series regardless. The other really good Dragon Quest manga (Emblem of Loto), uses the lore more closely but still doesn't follow it exactly. Actually, Emblem of Loto is one of my favorite mangas ever.

Bentendo

Ma and Pa shops break the street dates for two reasons:

*One is they don't realize that there is a street date and just put the product out when they get it in.
*Two is they aren't selling games and realize that if they break the street date, they'll sell copies to those who want it early and can then use REASON #1 as an excuse, meaning reason #1 probably doesn't actually exist but is rather excuse #1.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
red shoe paul said:
People breaking them dates. :lol

You live in NY, I'm in Boston, an easy 4 hour bus ride away. :lol
And just think of all the tag mode hits you'll get on that bus ride!

Synless said:
Not you. I swear the other guy owed someone money, I could be mistaken though.

Red Shoe Paul owes a lot of people money and hasn't been responding to anyone. Anyhow, let's not derail the thread, I haven't seen him post in a while so I just wanted to give a reminder.

Anyhow, I hope I finish DQV soon so I can play this when I get it. Kind of glad I won't have it until tuesday.

I'm locked into Sunday at Gamestop, but at least its paid in full with the blue XL:D Now I just have to convince my wife to buy another copy so I can do the tag mode stuff.....

Alcibiades

Any chance we get Dragon Warrior II and III on Virtual Console as part of Nintendo's efforts to promote the game?

I played through Dragon Warrior and Dragon Warrior IV as a kid, and played through SOME of II, but never finished it.

I'd really like to play II and III before I get IX though.

Alcibiades said:
Any chance we get Dragon Warrior II and III on Virtual Console as part of Nintendo's efforts to promote the game?

I played through Dragon Warrior and Dragon Warrior IV as a kid, and played through SOME of II, but never finished it.

I'd really like to play II and III before I get IX though.

I doubt VC, but if you have a gameboy color or advance you can find those remakes. Pretty much the best legit way to go outside Japan or knowing Japanese.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got my copy and started up a game. having a blast so far. Question though. Is there a way to see how much exp till next level? All I can find is total exp.

DrForester said:
Got my copy and started up a game. having a blast so far. Question though. Is there a way to see how much exp till next level? All I can find is total exp.

Go to church, select divination( i hope its the same as all other DQ'S)

Alcibiades

KeioSquad2 said:
I doubt VC, but if you have a gameboy color or advance you can find those remakes. Pretty much the best legit way to go outside Japan or knowing Japanese.
yeah except I can't get over that whole Erdrick/Loto thing :lol

even though I know Loto was the original name!

thing is I know they recently (or a while ago?) put Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II so I hope against hope they are just waiting to maximize visibility or something... (in either case I'm sure I'll find a way to play them but nothing beats Virtual Console with Classic Controller)

Pretty excited though, ever since my childhood a Dragon Warrior/Quest game hasn't premiered (in an original form) on a Nintendo system here in the US, and I'd like to catch up that way. First time since Dragon Warrior IV!

Alcibiades said:

thing is I know they recently (or a while ago?) put Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II so I hope against hope they are just waiting to maximize visibility or something... (in either case I'm sure I'll find a way to play them but nothing beats Virtual Console with Classic Controller)

Pretty excited though, ever since my childhood a Dragon Warrior/Quest game hasn't premiered (in an original form) on a Nintendo system here in the US, and I'd like to catch up that way. First time since Dragon Warrior IV!

Well, here is to hoping with you......

KeioSquad2 said:
Go to church, select divination( i hope its the same as all other DQ'S)

That's how you do it? I've been playing V and I just gave up trying to find out in frustration. Sucks you can't just do it from the regular menus.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
That's how you do it? I've been playing V and I just gave up trying to find out in frustration. Sucks you can't just do it from the regular menus.

In the older ones you could only save and find out about your next level from the king, if you didn't have a wing of wyvern on you at all times you were screwed royally(forgive the pun)

Teknoman

Alcibiades said:

When did FF II go on the Virtual Console? Or do you mean the SNES game IV?

KeioSquad2 said:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nve9W-8IJ3s

I love this song, brings back such memories..........

I know alot of people might be against it, but I+II think Dragon Quest I deserves a full VIII/IX style remake. Doesnt need any extra characters or anything.

Easystride said:
Thanks for the link. It was a good read. They seemed kinda harsh on DW7 though :( Anyways, just a few more days to go for IX, and I can hardly wait!
Edit: whoops, meant to quote the history article

Don't let anyone steer you away from DQ7, it's my favorite of the series and truly feels like a living world with the way they set it up, it could have used a better localization, but I love that game wholeheartedly......

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
KeioSquad2 said:
Don't let anyone steer you away from DQ7, it's my favorite of the series and truly feels like a living world with the way they set it up, it could have used a better localization, but I love that game wholeheartedly......
I have yet to finished it, but when i played it i was totally engrossed with the game, surprised by how good it ended up being. Especially with all the negative reviews it got.

The "graphics" complaints it got during it's release were kinda lol, looking back at it, since the graphics are hell of lot more appealing to look at then something like FFVIII.

Teknoman

Man God said:
You've seen some of the hidden armor and weapons right??? :lol

Me? Nope. Trying to go into it without spoiling much. These days I can search for battle themes just to see if i'll like the music, but as far as story details and extras, no spoilers for me.

KeioSquad2 said:
Yea, I've played it and loved it. I was smiling throughout the whole Chibi/Loomin ministory :D Hard to rank since I love every DQ I've played, but I'd probaby say: 5>7>8>3>4. Havent played 1, 2, 6, or 9 yet.

Lafiel said:
I have yet to finished it, but when i played it i was totally engrossed with the game, surprised by how good it ended up being. Especially with all the negative reviews it got.

The "graphics" complaints it got during it's release were kinda lol, looking back at it, since the graphics are hell of lot more appealing to look at then something like FFVIII.

Exactly. The best thing imo is that every single puzzle you solved led to a chapter of the game that lasted about 10 to 20 hours, each a story worth it's own game......

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Eww, what a downgrade in states. Where in NJ are you?

I'm something of a Jersey boy, so I prefer the quieter life here.
I'm in central NJ, right by the shore.

Easystride said:
Yea, I've played it and loved it. I was smiling throughout the whole Chibi/Loomin ministory :D Hard to rank since I love every DQ I've played, but I'd probaby say: 5>7>8>3>4. Havent played 1, 2, 6, or 9 yet.

Yea, I loved that too, and the maids dog one, and the priest/monster one, and the robot soldier one,.........etc,etc.. There is not a part of that game that I don't like!!

Link Man

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It's annoying at first, but it helps to ween you off of obsessing over your exp. Just play the game, and let the levels come as a surprise (they come quick enough anyway if you don't grind excessively in one area).

john tv

People who don't know better like to dog NJ, but NJ is a hell of a lot nicer than NY. :) I mean, I love NY (I grew up there!) and the city is amazing, but just in terms of nice places to live, NJ has NY beat by a mile.

Teknoman

Finally got my subscribers edition Nintendo Power. DQ blowout reminds me of old school Nintendo power for some reason.

I wonder how 9 is set up, like if it has chapters, fetch quests, or mini stories? God, I can't wait to play it. 3 days to wait sucks.

gblues

Banned
Dragon Quest 7 is probably the most epic DQ game of all time. And yes, it's longer than DQ 1, 2, and 3 put together, with elements of 4 and 6 thrown in for taste. While it isn't pretty, it is fun and I highly recommend it.

Probably getting 9 as an anniversary gift to each other because my wife and I are both DQ fans, although only having 1 save slot is going to suck. WTF is up with that? Every DQ game in existence has had at least 3 save slots.

Teknoman

gblues said:
Dragon Quest 7 is probably the most epic DQ game of all time. And yes, it's longer than DQ 1, 2, and 3 put together, with elements of 4 and 6 thrown in for taste. While it isn't pretty, it is fun and I highly recommend it.

Probably getting 9 as an anniversary gift to each other because my wife and I are both DQ fans, although only having 1 save slot is going to suck. WTF is up with that? Every DQ game in existence has had at least 3 save slots.

Probably because of the MP and download quests or something.

gblues said:

There's a lot of custom data in DQ9 for things like appearance and quests. Save file is pretty big. Also, having one save slot certainly increased their sales in Japan.

Top Bottom