• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 9 |OT| Last chance* to shine

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
O, one of you fancy shore people. Are you on tv now?

Ugh. Don't believe everything (anything) they say on TV.
Jersey Shore, Jersey Couture, etc. are just really bad television.

john tv said:
People who don't know better like to dog NJ, but NJ is a hell of a lot nicer than NY. :) I mean, I love NY (I grew up there!) and the city is amazing, but just in terms of nice places to live, NJ has NY beat by a mile.

Yep, pretty much.
And yet, you're close enough to be able to hit up the city for a day to visit your favorite sites/restaurants/etc.
Or your favorite street-date-breaking mom & pop electronics shops! Woooooo!

teekun

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
That's how you do it? I've been playing V and I just gave up trying to find out in frustration. Sucks you can't just do it from the regular menus.

I thought you could quicksave from the regular menus.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
john tv said:
People who don't know better like to dog NJ, but NJ is a hell of a lot nicer than NY. :) I mean, I love NY (I grew up there!) and the city is amazing, but just in terms of nice places to live, NJ has NY beat by a mile.
*highfive*
Well, South Jersey at the very least. :D

teekun said:
I thought you could quicksave from the regular menus.
You can suspend save from the regular menus. Yeah, I'm being petty but it's a bit different from a quick save.
And the way, with the way DQ handles death, it's easy, especially with the portable versions, to go a long time without actually saving. Dangerous if your battery dies! :lol

Segata Sanshiro said:
There's a lot of custom data in DQ9 for things like appearance and quests. Save file is pretty big. Also, having one save slot certainly increased their sales in Japan.

Can you explain that to me...........

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
KeioSquad2 said:
[/B]

Can you explain that to me...........
Let's have a critical thinking exercise here!
If three people want to play the game and the game has three saves, how many copies do you need?
If three people want to play the game and the game has one save, how many copies do you need?
I expect the answers on my desk in an hour!

RevenantKioku said:
If three people want to play the game and the game has three saves, how many copies do you need?
If three people want to play the game and the game has one save, how many copies do you need?

1 and 3, now where is my cookie!!

TheExodu5

Banned
RevenantKioku said:

3 and 3.

RevenantKioku said:

SE Numbers?

3 and 9.

Tiktaalik

So regarding tag mode. Do we have any idea about how long it takes to "tag" someone and get a map? I suppose it's a thing that's hard to test, but I'm wondering if folks in Japan have been able to get a surprising amount of hits via travelling on the train or bicycling somewhere, so many that it would be likely that they got some very quickly while in transit instead of just from people stationary next to them?

I'm curious if I'll be able to turn on my DS before my bike ride around town and whether I'll be able to pick up signals. :lol

Of course this assumes that the game actually becomes somewhat popular and people are around in tag mode.

RevenantKioku

I just want to say how proud I am of all you guys! I think we've made some real progress here in your critical thinking skills!

KeioSquad2 said:
1 and 3, now where is my cookie!!
You are "Poor People" correct!

TheExodu5 said:
You are "Rich People" correct!

Freyjadour said:
SE Numbers?
3 and 9.
You are "DQ9 is fucked!" correct!

Aeana

tCIeu.jpg

Yay crappy camera.

RevenantKioku

Well, I have officially failed in my specified timeline for finishing DQ9. Straight up props here. Who will beat it in the US before I even finish it?

teekun

RevenantKioku said:
You can suspend save from the regular menus. Yeah, I'm being petty but it's a bit different from a quick save.

Yeah, that's what I meant by quicksave. It's different, but the point is you should never find yourself in a situation where you need to stop playing and can't quickly save and turn off the DS.

Well, except for an extended boss battle, I guess :D

Aeana

RevenantKioku said:
They spelt color wrong.
Since DQ8, the DQ games have used British English.

On that subject, so far I'm very pleased with the localization. It's much closer to DQ8's in tone and style.

RevenantKioku

I used the chiefly British spelling of the past tense of spell. :(

Aeana said:
Since DQ8, the DQ games have used British English.

On that subject, so far I'm very pleased with the localization. It's much closer to DQ8's in tone and style.
As compared to? Oh, the DS remakes, I guess?

Aww, I missed the Jersey love (North Jersey here). Oh well. Speaking of which, anyone know a place in Jersey that broke the street date? If not, I'll just go to the Nintendo World store event.

Pooya

gameinformer

DQ IX producer Ryutaro Ichimura revealed that he doesn't consider the game a JRPG at all, and it has some rather surprising influences.

"We have no recognition that Dragon Quest IX is a part of the so-called JRPG genre, unless you mean all the RPGs created in Japan are JRPGs," Ichimura told me. The differences from past, more traditional Dragon Quest games include a focus on multiplayer, a quest system, and the ability to view armor and weapons on your characters after equipping them.

The way these elements come together reminded me of an MMO, so I asked Ichimura if he has looked at MMOs while designing Dragon Quest IX. That wasn't the genre Square had in mind either, though. He explained:

"The quest system was inspired by The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, which I played many times. And I would like to reference Diablo as the title which inspired our thinking about how we can maintain player’s motivations."

Ichimura said that they studied Diablo to learn about "motivation-control" and how to drive players to constantly search for the next weapon and armor upgrade.

Effect

Anyone know anyone or perhaps works at Best Buy themselves that can see if this game will be available in the actual stores? Or will be online only from them?

Though might try my local GameStop and see if I can get lucky with them. I did get Crystal Bearers early from them but seeing as Nintendo is in the picture they might be more wary.

Aeana

All right, superior version confirmed. Sandy/Stella speaks much more normally. She's a little blunt and rough, and certainly way more casual than most people in the game, but she is not annoying at all. I am so very pleased!

RevenantKioku

I'm not sure how anything is better than ギャル.

Philthy

I noticed another headline on that Eurogamer article about how Oblivion and Diablo inspired some of DQ9. Does this mean weapons and items will be more random generated, or basically just a huge abundance of them to use? It's been a while since I've played DQ8 and I don't seem to remember a very large selection of weapons/items, and I think it followed the normal path of sword, silver sword, gold sword, etc that a lot of JRPGs tend to do.

Does this game have an element of random loot generation or boss farming that I didn't know about? (please say yes please say yes please say yes)

Aeana

Philthy said:
I noticed another headline on that Eurogamer article about how Oblivion and Diablo inspired some of DQ9. Does this mean weapons and items will be more random generated, or basically just a huge abundance of them to use? It's been a while since I've played DQ8 and I don't seem to remember a very large selection of weapons/items, and I think it followed the normal path of sword, silver sword, gold sword, etc that a lot of JRPGs tend to do.

Does this game have an element of random loot generation or boss farming that I didn't know about? (please say yes please say yes please say yes)
There is a lot more equipment, but it isn't random. They added a bunch more equipment slots, though. It also all shows up on your character now.

Also, there are randomized treasure map dungeons with treasure and bosses in them.

RevenantKioku

There seems to be a good amount of things in it, yeah. And yeah, in the treasure maps you've got that other thing.
Personally, I don't like the idea of equating it to Oblivion/Diablo because I wouldn't think of that as a compliment, but whatever works to get people playing this awesome game!

Aeana said:
There is a lot more equipment, but it isn't random. They added a bunch more equipment slots, though. It also all shows up on your character now.

Also, there are randomized treasure map dungeons with treasure and bosses in them.

Oh Aeana, I can't wait for this game. How did you come by your copy?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
cosmicblizzard said:
Aww, I missed the Jersey love (North Jersey here). Oh well. Speaking of which, anyone know a place in Jersey that broke the street date? If not, I'll just go to the Nintendo World store event.

So many Jersey-ites loving the RPGs... maybe it's because they can relate to the spiky haired protagonists so well :D

Italian-American LIer here, it's only in good fun ;)

RevenantKioku said:
There seems to be a good amount of things in it, yeah. And yeah, in the treasure maps you've got that other thing.
Personally, I don't like the idea of equating it to Oblivion/Diablo because I wouldn't think of that as a compliment, but whatever works to get people playing this awesome game!

I agree.

RevenantKioku said:
When I think of Diablo and the DS I think of something more like Soma Bringer: 99.9% of the loot is shit or vendor trash and you spend more time managing inventory and storage to keep on top of all of it than anything else..

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Mafro said:

This paragraph makes me particularly hopeful for DQX on the 3DS that take advantage of the better graphics and the supposed better online functionality.

J. Parish said:
In all fairness, DQIX would certainly appear to be the opposite of progressive on its surface: It is, after all, a DS sequel to a gorgeous PlayStation 2 game. Sure, its visuals are about as attractive as 3D can look on the DS, but those graphics are nowhere near as beautiful as Dragon Quest VIII's were. Yet the move to DS was a strategic trade-off, and a canny one at that; DQIX sacrifices visual splendor in favor of more subtle technological benefits. In unchaining the series from the television, its creators freed themselves to design the open-ended, player-driven experience the series has always aspired to be.

It's nice to want things? Or inevitable? How did DQIX sell in Japan?

Top Bottom