• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IV English site open. Release date Sept. 16, 2008!

NolbertoS said:
DQ I - III is referred to as the Loto trilogy. Pretty much all 3 games tie into each other, as u discover how the legend of Loto started and continued through the generations by fighting the next evil villain that menaced the Land. I recall awhile back that DQ IV to VII was referred to as the Zenithian trilogy. I can't say much as I never got the chance to fully finish DQ V and VI.

Regarding your party following u like a snake, yes they're always behind you. In DQIV they introduced the wagon, so you got a wagon to hold your extra party members.

Not VII. VII is connected to VIII.
Compare the two final world maps
!

Volcynika

jaundicejuice said:
Oh shit, I just realised that we're getting Etrian Odyssey II, Final Fantasy IV and then Dragon Quest IV all this year.

So it's like 'oh shit my wallet will suffer greatly' ?

Doytch

I've never finished a JRPG, but the only games I actually hate are Final Fantasy. Is DQ different than the others, as in, should I bother looking into this?

Volcynika said:
So it's like 'oh shit my wallet will suffer greatly' ?

Nah, even with paying the Square-Enix tax twice it's not the money, it's more "oh shit, I'm not going to want for a good rpg for the next year or so".

Well I may have to purchase a new DS Lite, my original's getting a little worse for wear.

Vargas said:
I just hope we don't have to wait too long between the three.

Not too too long after the JPN releases, I don't think. DQV prolly won't come before Christmas 2008 though.

Man God said:
If we don't what are they gonna do? Not release DW VII? :lol

I dunno about S-E, but you'll be banned!

:p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well, I'm gonna buy one copy of each DQ IV-VI. I haven't played IV since the last time I rented it from a mom and pop video game store back when it was first released and I haven't played V and VI since high school when I used my hard earned cash to import those mofos.

V and VI and the SFC and the dictionary I used to get through them are probably still in my desk drawer at my parent's house. Maybe when I go back for a visit next time I'll bust out the SFC and give it one more go for old time's sake.

Jiggy

DQIV, DQV, and DQVI? Day one, day one, and--oh, yes, day one.

Edit: Obligatory mention that they're still probably worth it despite the inevitable Square-Enix Tax (and, if DQIV is any indication, they'd be worth even more for that matter), but that said S-E Tax still sucks because it's going to hurt the sales potential among people who aren't already fans. :(

NolbertoS

I'll buy both game twice too. This will make up for the greatest blunder that I ever committed in DQ history. I bought all 4 DW NES games with boxart, manual, etc at a flea market and than lent them to a friend, who lent it to another friend and soon all my DQ games were lost :( He did pay me back for losing them, but not having all 4 DW games in my hand was a greater loss. Ever since than, I've collected the boxart and DW game as one and never lent it out to anybody, not even to touch.

Kobiekun

Fuuuck.gif

Cannot wait!

donny2112

NolbertoS said:
Regarding your party following u like a snake, yes they're always behind you. In DQIV they introduced the wagon, so you got a wagon to hold your extra party members.

Can you explain more about the wagon? Once you get it, do all your party members ride in it except the single main guy? Does the wagon follow you into towns or just appear in the overworld?

joesmokey

Can't believe we'll soon be able to play legitimate English versions of V and VI. The Zenithian Trilogy always fascinated me back in the day.

September 16th can't come soon enough!

Aeana

donny2112 said:
Can you explain more about the wagon? Once you get it, do all your party members ride in it except the single main guy? Does the wagon follow you into towns or just appear in the overworld?

Anyone not in your main party (of 4) stays in the wagon. You can switch people in and out mid-battle without wasting a turn any time your wagon is with you, which is just about anywhere except really tight caves. You can also use their magic out of battle as long as the wagon is with you.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm still shocked at they confirmed all 3 in one shot. V and VI for the first time ever in the US! First the missing FF. Now the missing DQs!! And all on the same system. Who the FUCK would have thought?

Look at me. See that glow?

Teknoman

Mejilan said:
I'm still shocked at they confirmed all 3 in one shot. V and VI for the first time ever in the US! First the missing FF. Now the missing DQs!! And all on the same system. Who the FUCK would have thought?

Look at me. See that glow?

Now all we need to hear is PE3 Cellphone was scrapped and is coming out on a decently cinematic medium.

akenatone

as much as i am excited, i was really hoping we get the first one sometime this summer.
Well, at least this confirms all three.

STG!

I'm so looking forward to playing all three of these games. Especially V & VI. September can't come soon enough.

donny2112

Thanks, Aeana.

NolbertoS said:
DQ I - III is referred to as the Loto trilogy. Pretty much all 3 games tie into each other, as u discover how the legend of Loto started and continued through the generations by fighting the next evil villain that menaced the Land.

I've played a lot of 1, and I have 3 to eventually play. How important to the Loto trilogy is DWII, then?

Olaeh

YES!!!! Though I thought we'd get a summer release for IV, knowing the others are on the way here is GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
donny2112 said:
Thanks, Aeana.

I've played a lot of 1, and I have 3 to eventually play. How important to the Loto trilogy is DWII, then?

Not especially. I mean, you can't have a trilogy without three games. III is the important one.

Also, even though I hate repeating myself, September 16th is this summer.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Getting better, Square. You're almost there. Now think, and think hard: there's another RPG you have with Toriyama art. You can remake that one too. Can you picture it? Do you remember?

Rpgmonkey

I need to get a DS Lite sometime soon...

Well, if DQV is a Winter '08 release, I know what two things I'm getting this Christmas (despite me already having DQV by then, but I have a strange habit of wanting the English versions of games I already have...).

$170 saved. :D

NolbertoS

donny2112 said:
Thanks, Aeana.

DQII takes place after the events of DQI. If you ever intend to play DQ I - III in chronological order it's like this

DQ III
DQ I
DQ II

However, if you want to play them the way they were released, which I usually do, when I get the itch to replay them on the GBC, it's DQ I, DQII and DQ III. DQII hold a special place in my heart, only cuz it was the only DQ, that I got stuck in a certain "cave" that leads to the final boss for 1 month, all cuz I wanted the most powerful weapons in the game and this "powerful" weapon, was hard to locate by yourself. Also if you ever get to play DQII, you'll understand why it's one of the most frustrating DQ to finish, especially that "cave" that I described.

Teknoman

Htown said:
Getting better, Square. You're almost there. Now think, and think hard: there's another RPG you have with Toriyama art. You can remake that one too. Can you picture it? Do you remember?

That might be a dream forever unfortunatly. I'm just hoping for a Romancing SaGa 2 remake like the PS2 game, possibly on the PSP if its too much risk to put into a PS3 game.

Joule

Teknoman said:
That might be a dream forever unfortunatly. I'm just hoping for a Romancing SaGa 2 remake like the PS2 game, possibly on the PSP if its too much risk to put into a PS3 game.

The so called best SaGa game and I can't play it. Count me in for such a remake.

Top Bottom