• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IV English site open. Release date Sept. 16, 2008!

madara

Oh happy day! Tears of joy! My DQ adventures return to me and the last one in a language I can understand too! :D Off to tell my circle the official news. Puff Puff

jesusraz

This is fantastic news, if somewhat predictable given the amount of foreign languages tucked away in the Japanese version of DQIV DS. Great to see the trilogy not only confirmed for the US, but PAL territories as well. Seems they're ditching the numbering system for Europe, as SE did with DQVIII. Makes sense, I suppose.

Htown said:
Getting better, Square. You're almost there. Now think, and think hard: there's another RPG you have with Toriyama art. You can remake that one too. Can you picture it? Do you remember?

Wait for the announcement later this year...

LaneDS

Main theme gives me chills every time it starts up.

Really excited for this great, great news. Haven't played IV since the NES days, and I've never played V or VI.

jesusraz said:

Don't play with my heart like this!

Owensboro

OH EM EFF GEE. No, i'm srsly. DQ IV is the one with f-ing Taloon in it, and Ragnar, and Healy. Oh god, this game is the one that started my RPG addiction back in the day. Playing each chapter as a different character, and then meeting up with them all in the 5th was such a shocker for me. Basically, THIS is the game that made me expect more from RPGs then just "grind, enter dungeon, kill boss, grind, enter dungeon, kill boss". Man, maybe I can find my old NES copy...

Shite, now i'm going to HAVE to by a DS. Oh well, at least I can laugh my ass off when an Army of Merchants comes in again.

sooooooo muuuuuuch <3 for this game.

Owensboro

wait wait wait, these 3 games are a trilogy too?!? Holy crap why did I never know this....

So how are they related? Are they out of order like 1,2 and 3? Are they seperated by hundreds of years? Basically, for the people that loved IV, are there heartwarming refrences to it in the latter games?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
jj984jj said:
OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! :O

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! :D

LISTEN TO THIS MAN! HE SPEAKS THE TRUTH!

TimeKillr

I can't wait to go grind cash with Torneko again in his chapter!

Seriously, DQ4 is insanely good. It's the most innovative RPG of its time, and very few have managed to squeeze as much different types of gameplay in a single RPG in a LOOONG time.

All the chapters are wildly different, the characters have a LOT of personality, they're all unique...

And Torneko always trips :)

batbeg

Hey cool, European confirmation. If they don't jack up the price too much (they will) I won't have to import it from the US!

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but the three games being officially announced like this makes me think Square-Enix really are making good on their promise for worldwide release dates, as it's quite possible VI could hit around the same time, isn't it? Maybe not, but it still feels like they're pushing it more now.

Also cool, the Valkyrie Profile DS site was updated a while back!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Sweet, although didn't we already know this about DQ5 and 6? Looking forward to a DQ5 US release date, I was hoping it would be out by the end of the year in the states but that looks unlikely if 4 is released in Sept.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Never played a single Dragon Quest game in my entire life. But DAMN am I hyped.
Though I'd like i if you saw your characters do battle, but hey, everything looks great.

When I get this, am I in for a treat?

Easy_D said:
Never played a single Dragon Quest game in my entire life. But DAMN am I hyped.
Though I'd like i if you saw your characters do battle, but hey, everything looks great.

When I get this, am I in for a treat?

If you like TBRPGs, then DQ stands at amongst the top of the pack.

So make your own judgments from there.

jesusraz

batbeg said:
Hey cool, European confirmation. If they don't jack up the price too much (they will) I won't have to import it from the US!

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but the three games being officially announced like this makes me think Square-Enix really are making good on their promise for worldwide release dates, as it's quite possible VI could hit around the same time, isn't it? Maybe not, but it still feels like they're pushing it more now.

S-E Europe is all too aware that things like delaying FFXII: RW so much killed sales here.

Aeana

soul

Aeana said:
Thanks!
No numerals, so I guess these are the European logos. Makes sense, considering the press release. They sure do look boring without the numerals, though.

Aye, just like DQVIII. If it's the NA logos you were after I'll make sure to upload them as well once S-E NA's division release their own (if they are any different, that is, I've no idea if they will be numbered).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
It's a good plan to get the market ready for Dragon Quest IX. Even if these games do poorly in sales, at the very least the consumer will be aware of the series when Square releases Dragon Quest IX.

soul

TekunoRobby said:
It's a good plan to get the market ready for Dragon Quest IX. Even if these games do poorly in sales, at the very least the consumer will be aware of the series when Square releases Dragon Quest IX.

People are pretty aware of the DQ franchise by now after DQVIII rocked on the PS2, I doubt it needs any further introduction.

jarrod

Banned
soul said:
People are pretty aware of the DQ franchise by now after DQVIII rocked on the PS2, I doubt it needs any further introduction.
DQ8 was years ago by now, and it undershot expectations itself (though it did improve pretty dramatically over DW7). The Dragon Quest brand definitely has a long ways to go in the west in general, and the US specifically.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
soul said:
People are pretty aware thanks to a game that didn't come close to sales expectations and came out years ago on another platform provided by a different company? You could have at least used Dragon Quest Swords as a better example since that's pretty recent and release under the Nintendo umbrella.

Releasing a steady stream of games similar in style on the same platform as a lead up to the main release is what I mean by being aware. I'm speaking about the general consumer here, not the Dragon Quest fanatics.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jesusraz said:
This is fantastic news, if somewhat predictable given the amount of foreign languages tucked away in the Japanese version of DQIV DS. Great to see the trilogy not only confirmed for the US, but PAL territories as well. Seems they're ditching the numbering system for Europe, as SE did with DQVIII. Makes sense, I suppose.

Do you know something or is this just a joke?

LaneDS

TekunoRobby said:
People are pretty aware thanks to a game that didn't come close to sales expectations and came out years ago on another platform provided by a different company? You could have at least used Dragon Quest Swords as a better example since that's pretty recent and release under the Nintendo umbrella.

Releasing a steady stream of games similar in style on the same platform as a lead up to the main release is what I mean by being aware. I'm speaking about the general consumer here, not the Dragon Quest fanatics.

I'm pretty sure Dragon Quest VIII did quite well in the U.S., considering how popular the franchise was in the U.S. at the time of launch. Anyone have final sales numbers? Or even better, the expected sales from Square?

Sweet, I guess this means I will finally make it all the way through DQ V and VI. I will even know what is going on story wise this time as an added bonus.

Of course, I am also picking up DQ IV. I love that game.

sw26

I've never played a DQ game in my life, but I'll definitely pick up DQIV to give it a go.

Nice to see us here in Europe not having to wait either, hopefully Square Enix will do this a lot more often now (it's a similar release for FFIVDS as well I think).

:D

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Volcynika said:
I've never played any of these. Am I a bad person?

But it's ok, since they're coming here!

No, especially considering how rare 4 was and the fact that you had to deal with moonspeak to play 5 and 6.

HK-47 said:

For now, perhaps, but who knows later on?

Anyway I would expect that DS Europa releases would be very close to any American release date, from S-E. I'd hazard a guess of within a fortnight at the worst.

As for DQV, I really wouldn't expect it before Christmas 2008...

Dragona Akehi said:

Enh. We've got enough awesome games down the pipe anyway. And if EO2 is anything like the first one, I'll stay be playing it come the new year.

Volcynika

North America will probably get their own press release sometime today, since it's only close to 9am in the SE offices. Hurry up you guyz. But great that Europe is getting it very close to the NA release.

jesusraz

TekunoRobby said:

Exactly. Dragon Quest did pretty well on PS2, but that was a long time ago. DQVIII, in the UK at least, fared far better than expected, and yet both DQM: Joker and DQS have failed to make their respective Top 30 format charts in the UK. The DQ brand over here really needs a boost if S-E expects to see strong results for DQIX further down the line.

HK-47 said:
I don't joke about stuff like that. Was I joking when I said Tingle was coming to Europe? No. But anyway, that's not the topic at hand, so I'll shush now...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dragona Akehi said:
For now, perhaps, but who knows later on?

Anyway I would expect that DS Europa releases would be very close to any American release date, from S-E. I'd hazard a guess of within a fortnight at the worst.

December 26, 2008?

Believe? :lol

boxu.jpg

My love.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
jesusraz said:
Htown said:
Getting better, Square. You're almost there. Now think, and think hard: there's another RPG you have with Toriyama art. You can remake that one too. Can you picture it? Do you remember?
jesusraz said:
I don't joke about stuff like that. Was I joking when I said Tingle was coming to Europe? No. But anyway, that's not the topic at hand, so I'll shush now...
...!

Awesome! I mean, I've only played DQVIII to any great extent, but I loved it to death. Also I'm glad that we finally have a set release date for IV, even though I was hoping that it'd come out earlier during the summer (like, say, mid-August). Then again, I 'spose with FFIV DS already coming out in July, that might've been a bit much to hope for =p.

I've got a question for those who have played the original versions of IV-VI though; how exactly do they compare to VIII? It seems like VIII has been the odd man out in terms of presentation (showing characters perform their attacks, fully 3d world, voice acting, etc), but I'm more curious in terms of gameplay (out of battle, I mean) and story.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I have only played the first and eighth installments of the series. I enjoyed both immensely. I was one of those people who got the first one for free from Nintendo.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
ruby_onix said:
Heck, I'll even go so far as to buy all three.

Ah, who am I kidding. I already know I'll buy six.
I'm doing the same. So far I've bought all the DQ DS games released here on the DS!

LaneDS said:
I'm pretty sure Dragon Quest VIII did quite well in the U.S., considering how popular the franchise was in the U.S. at the time of launch. Anyone have final sales numbers? Or even better, the expected sales from Square?
I clearly remember it not doing too well in the U.S. and doing particularly better in Europe as was said by jesusraz. Let’s not forget that a sizable portion of the game’s sales were also due to the Final Fantasy XII demo being packed in which even Square Enix went out of their way to heavily promote. People weren't buying it for Dragon Quest alone.

To further prove my point here's a link I discovered showing off the game’s launch month numbers:

Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King - ~84,000
http://www.gamesarefun.com/news.php?newsid=5899

While that isn’t the most “reliable” source out there it’s the best I could come up with. I’m sure there’s a GAF thread corroborating that evidence as well.

NolbertoS

Red Scarlet said:
I've never said they would come out in the US. 1 t.

My mistake, Scarlett, thought you stated it was coming Stateside, must've been Dragona and Aeana than :p. I'm now wanting a DQ 1 - III DS Remake, come on SE, you know you can sell alot more copies of DQ I - III on the DS if you revamped the graphics.

NolbertoS

Dragona Akehi said:
DS is officially RPG king of the forever.

Well Not quite, the DS lacks Star Ocean 1 & 2, Suikoden I & II, Brave Story, FF Tactics, and other NIS, Atlus games :p I was going to mention Valkyrie Profile, but it's getting remade for the DS

NolbertoS said:
Well Not quite, the DS lacks Star Ocean 1 & 2, Suikoden I & II, Brave Story, FF Tactics, and other NIS, Atlus games :p I was going to mention Valkyrie Profile, but it's getting remade for the DS

PSP isn't doing bad either. But, you know. DQ.

Top Bottom