• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IV, V, VI for DS announced !!

hinode

firex said:
I think the remake will tweak 6's job system and make it so the progression isn't so bad, and the skills are more useful. At least I hope so. After just playing through 6 recently (although I never finished it, because for whatever reason it's just not as gripping as 5 was) I felt like almost all of the basic jobs stank, and even the advanced jobs weren't that good, except for the massive stat increases and a few really useful 0 MP skills.

The Fighter job was insanely good in DQ6; you get Spin Kick (free group damage), Spirit Punch (2x damage, resistable), and Swordline (4x hits of 0.5x) damage, all of which are useful throughout the game. Priest was good for obvious reasons and Wizard had pretty nice spells (Blazemore for 1 battle, Boom at level 5, Firevolt at level 8). The rest were pretty underwhelming by comparison admittedly, and the often painful stat penalties didn't help, but at least Soldier was usable and even Dancer had some worthwhile status. And the Thief stuff helped you find all those damned hidden items strewn around the map without needing a faq.

As for the advanced classes, they mainly piled the good skills onto Sage (Barrier, Bikill, HealUs, Revive, Explodet...) until you got to Hero/Dragon/Metal Babble tier, yeah. A lot of value of those classes depends on what basic classes led up to them: Paladin had mediocre skills but was still pretty good because it combined the two best basic classses (Fighter+Priest) and had good stats to boot, for insatance.

The best thing they could ever do to DQ6's class system is to let you get them earlier in the game, but barring a major change in the game's plot that won't happen, sadly. Given that constraint, it'd be nice to see them actually list which skills a class yields instead of making you guess based on a vague class description or hunt down a faq.

Also, it'd be nice if they change the job-building mechanics so that if you exceed the level cap of a particular monster you get reduced credit rather than no credit at all like it was in the original. I realize they're trying to penalize you for grinding too much, but as it is if you pick the wrong classes while experimenting and hit too high a level, you're completely screwed.

Red Scarlet

If they change anything in 6, I hope it is the entry fee for the bonus dungeon. I've never gotten to it because of what you have to do to unlock it.

castle007

Banned
Holy shit

this the most unexpected expected news :lol

I knew that these games would eventually come to the DS but not so soon and definitely not announced at the same time

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Red Scarlet said:
If they change anything in 6, I hope it is the entry fee for the bonus dungeon. I've never gotten to it because of what you have to do to unlock it.

WHAT

Sounds like you're not up to the task. Or you don't deserve the legendary name of RED SCARLET.

****ing shame!

Red Scarlet

I don't use every job, so seeing 8 of 20 torches lit up is not something to look forward to. Which sucks, because the bonus stuff sounds interesting.

firex

well, Fighter is the one that I thought was good of the basic jobs. Priest is crucial of course, since it has nearly all the healing/buffing spells, but I felt like Wizard sucked past Blazemore. I guess I can't really ignore the Thief skills though - they're really good for finding some of the randomly hidden small medals, and you can sort of cheese their skill to push/"expel" an enemy out of a fight to grind jobs longer on lower xp monsters (unless I'm thinking of the thief's skills in 7, where I abused the hell out of that).

It's just that for most classes you get like, 1 or 2 good skills out of 8 levels unless it's Fighter/Priest/Wizard, and even for the advanced jobs I think the only ones to give several really good skills were Battlemaster, Mystic Knight, and Sage (it may be just me, but Hustle Dance is the only real reason I bother with the Superstar class). That's ignoring the awesome stat boosts/passives of the other classes, though, because I'd still want a mastered Paladin or two, and even Ranger is mildly useful if you know you're fighting something with breath attacks.

But mostly, I just hate the slow progression with jobs in DQ6, and the (relatively) poor balance where some classes are godly (hero, secret classes, sage) and others you just master to unlock the bonus dungeon. Well, and I do think it's dumb that your characters get weaker after you unlock the job system, until you get everybody on an advanced job. It has bar none the best monster taming system of the series, though, if you ask me.

I liked DQ8's skills system a little better, because they cut out the fat and gave you fewer, but more useful skills. I'd honestly kind of like to see that happen with DQ6's remake. Like limit the jobs to 5 or 6 levels instead of 8, and consolidate skills and reduce the total number of battles to level them up. We'll probably just get faster leveling jobs, though...

oh well, enough about DQ6 from me. I'm way more excited to finally play DQ4 (I refuse to emulate the NES version, since I just don't think it'd be a great experience). And even the DQ5 remake has me excited since I can take the other path in the game!

hinode

Hrm, never found the bonus dungeon req too painful; if you needed to master every job it'd be painful yeah, but only getting to level 5 isn't so bad. You can get everything except Metal Babble up that high before beating the game if you plan ahead, and they specifically backloaded Metal Babble so the last few levels are the ones that take forever to reach.

I suppose this makes the gave even *more* faq-bait than it already was, but that isn't exactly a strong suit of the series in general for people who don't want to just grind a ton.

As for jobs, I never found progression to be that painful so much. Class balance could really use some work though, they stacked most of the good things in a few jobs. Though DW7 looks much much worse than 6 on paper, with Godhand and its prereqs covering most of the really good stuff.

hinode

No, it's definately level 5. I sure as heck didn't get the 299 battles to master Metal Babble before entering it myself. ^_^;

Avrum

Been gone a good portion of the day and I come home to this?

darnhehevi7.jpg

Awesome news!

ElFly

I didn't think that maxing every class was that complicated; with all the sidequests to do, it is almost for free. The only problem was maxing Dragon, then getting and maxing Metal Babble, since you get those pretty late in the game. Maxing the rest was almost for free.

The real, very painfully real, problem, is grinding to be able to beat that goddamned extra dungeon and its crazy boss :lol. It was worthwhile if only due to the town that is inside the dungeon.

All in all, an awesome game.

Jiggy

firex said:
And even the DQ5 remake has me excited since I can take the other path in the game!
If what you're saying here is that there are branching paths in the game, I have to ask... Without spoiling anything, how significant are the differences between the two?

ElFly

That said, yeah, the job system could see a rework. Getting jobs earlier would be really nice and lowering the number of required battles would be even better.

I have high hopes for DQVI remake; since it will be the last one, it will probably be the best one, like with DQIII compared to DQI+II.

I expect more monsters to capture, another extra dungeon and maybe even a secret character.

I think I will replay DQVI one more time before this comes out.

ElFly

Jiggy37 said:
If what you're saying here is that there are branching paths in the game, I have to ask... Without spoiling anything, how significant are the differences between the two?

Not a lot, besides some small differences in the characters that make up your party and only a couple of NPCs.

ElFly

DQV is my less favorite game of the second trilogy, mainly because the plot restricts the party for a long time, and tries to compensate with the recruiting monsters system. IMHO it was not enough. And a maximum of three party members active was too low.

That was one of my problems with DQVII; most of the time it would be you, Maribell and someone else, and as soon as you got a fourth party member, the plot would force one of the others to retire.

I still love both games, though.

Jiggy

ElFly said:
Not a lot, besides some small differences in the characters that make up your party and only a couple of NPCs.
Oh.

Ah well, thanks for the info. I can play a DQ game twice anyway, so I guess it's better to have some change instead of none. >_>

firex

It's not really a big change in the overall plot (I don't think it'll give you a totally different ending), but it is a pretty major decision you make about halfway through the game.

mutsu

ElFly said:
That was one of my problems with DQVII; most of the time it would be you, Maribell and someone else, and as soon as you got a fourth party member, the plot would force one of the others to retire.

I still love both games, though.

DQ7 much? You do have 4 party members for most of the game.

ElFly

mutsu said:
DQ7 much? You do have 4 party members for most of the game.

My memory of it was that you
hang around with Maribell and Kiefer for the start, then Kiefer goes away and you get Gabo, and that is for a long time, until eventually you Melvin, but shortly afterwards Maribel leaves the party for good, and finally Aira joins and you finally have a full party. Or maybe Melvin also goes away, I don't remember well.

I think the bulk of the game is played with the Hero, Maribel and Gabo.

Correct me if I am wrong.

ElFly

I haven't played DQVIII. I understand it is not a trilogy with DQVII and DQIX.

There are any references to the other Dragon Quest games in DQ8?

firex

DQ7:
You start out with hero, Maribel and Kiefer. Then you lose Kiefer and get Gabo. Then you get Melvin. Then at some point you lose Maribel (temporarily) and you get Aira relatively late in the game.

I'd say for about 2/3 of the game you have 3 characters, but I really flew through the game after initially spending a bunch of time abusing the Thief skill to fly through the job system. So I don't really know how long you have 3 characters. I just know you can take any 4 of the 5 you get with you to the end of the game.

DQ8: There's a reference in it to DQ3, which I'll just leave unexplained. It kind of felt tacked on to me, but it's still a cool reference that comes out of nowhere. Otherwise the game just stands on its own.

Shouta

firex said:
DQ7:
You start out with hero, Maribel and Kiefer. Then you lose Kiefer and get Gabo. Then you get Melvin. Then at some point you lose Maribel (temporarily) and you get Aira relatively late in the game.

I'd say for about 2/3 of the game you have 3 characters, but I really flew through the game after initially spending a bunch of time abusing the Thief skill to fly through the job system. So I don't really know how long you have 3 characters. I just know you can take any 4 of the 5 you get with you to the end of the game.

Actually,
You get Maribel, Kiefer, and Gabo in the party at the same time. However, you lose Kiefer permanently a little while after Gabo. Then it's a little while before Melvin and Aira lastly.

Fio

I would like to see non-random battles. Something similar to DQIX, with the monsters visible and without transition screens.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Fio Maravilha said:
I would like to see non-random battles. Something similar to DQIX, with the monsters visible and without transition screens.
I think you missed the announcement.

Red Scarlet

ElFly said:
I haven't played DQVIII. I understand it is not a trilogy with DQVII and DQIX.

There are any references to the other Dragon Quest games in DQ8?

It seems like the trilogies are less connected to each other as each one shows up. There are some similar themes in 7 and 8 that make up the main theme for the games, but there isn't a same legendary character that links them like in the first trilogy nor special equipment and a castle in the sky that links the second trilogy together.

AFAIK it isn't canon or anything, but 7 and 8 both have
a curse to be broken (the world in 7, the king/princess/their castle in 8) and the theme of a god versus a devil god

There are small references/cameos of characters/monsters/party members, NPC's, recurring items, and some music that were in other games before 8 as well.

Shouta: you don't get Gabo until a few scenarios in. You
start the first scenario with the Hero, Kiefer, and Maribel, then you get Gabo in the 4th scenario and lose Kiefer in the 7th.

jj984jj said:
I think you missed the announcement.
You mean the one where the DQ fans were so unhappy about any sort of change to the Battle System that Horii decided to revert to something more similar to the earlier games?

mutsu

ElFly said:
My memory of it was that you
hang around with Maribell and Kiefer for the start, then Kiefer goes away and you get Gabo, and that is for a long time, until eventually you Melvin, but shortly afterwards Maribel leaves the party for good, and finally Aira joins and you finally have a full party. Or maybe Melvin also goes away, I don't remember well.

I think the bulk of the game is played with the Hero, Maribel and Gabo.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I guess the reason why I say that DQ7 has 4 members for most of the game is because I spent about 70 hours or so with 4 partly members at the end trying to level up to beat the hidden bosses :lol

Red Scarlet said:
That would be it. If you want something else, play something else, etc.!
I think I would have enjoyed the change. I think the standard battle system was fine when I could stand to play for several hours on end, but at this point I'd rather have either an SRPG battle system (yay Ultima 5) or something closer to an Autobattle system like FF12 so I can concentrate on exploration.

mutsu said:
I guess the reason why I say that DQ7 has 4 members for most of the game is because I spent about 70 hours or so with 4 partly members at the end trying to level up to beat the hidden bosses :lol

Yeah the grind. That's the part that I just can't stand anymore.

Aeana

bmf said:
I think I would have enjoyed the change. I think the standard battle system was fine when I could stand to play for several hours on end, but at this point I'd rather have either an SRPG battle system (yay Ultima 5) or something closer to an Autobattle system like FF12 so I can concentrate on exploration.

So... play Ultima 5 or FF12? The majority of DQ fans like it the way it is. There are plenty of other series that experiment with battle systems - probably more, at this point, than there are traditional menu-driven, turn-based systems.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Slightly OT but does anyone know if there any adapters or peripherals that give the DS a TV-Out function? I'd like to play these on the big screen at home if I'm not on the road.

Aeana said:
So... play Ultima 5 or FF12? The majority of DQ fans like it the way it is. There are plenty of other series that experiment with battle systems - probably more, at this point, than there are traditional menu-driven, turn-based systems.
God only knows what would happen if Yuuji Horii strayed from the battle system he's been re-using over and over again for the last 20 years. He might **** it up.

Red Scarlet

The battle systems have been tweaked a number of times already. Some people actually do prefer familiarity (and this is one of the few series that the # that do are a vocal majority to the designers), something a whole lot of games no longer have with previous ones in how they play.

Aeana

bmf said:
God only knows what would happen if Yuuji Horii strayed from the battle system he's been re-using over and over again for the last 20 years. He might **** it up.

The battle system has changed a few times, like Scarlet said. I detailed a lot about the changes in my DQ appreciation thread.

Believe it or not, some people (like myself) really like the battle system. Because it's boring for you doesn't make it boring for everyone else.

MaddenNFL64

Jiggy37 said:
Okay. It may have taken three games at once to do it, but I'm stunned--something actually managed to beat out Advance Wars DS 2, Star Ocean 1 and 2 remakes, and the huge Tales announcement on my "news of the year" list. :eek: (And all of those are in my top ten, by the way.)
And Dragon Quest IX also, but by now I can't even remember if that happened this year or in 2006.

Star Ocean remakes? **** yeah!

Oh, and awesome news with the DS DQ games too :D.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
re: DQ8

I feel the same way Mutsu and Firex do, to me while being a good it's in the middle tier of DQ games. 3, 4 and 7 being the top tier for me.

I've gotten over why I dont feel DQ8 is great DQ just a good one a lot already, me and Scarlet have gotten over countless of arguments too ;p but in the end I guess it comes down to what you prefer.

For me DQ8 failed in a couple of areas:
1) dungeon design - obviously the move to full 3d meant simpler dungeons than in the old DQs

2) the scenario was not as enganging as the other DQs. at times I felt pushing myself to keep playing because I was bored out of my mind. DQ7 imo has the best scenario of all the DQ games even with all it's problems regarding shards and pacing, that game has a BUNCH of memorable moments something DQ8 doesnt really has imo. yes I enjoy the storylines in DQs

3) I felt DQ8 was way too linear, while I reckon that the old DQs were also linear they did a great job at hiding that linearity. you enter a town in DQ3 and you need to speak to everyone to get a clue of what's going on instead of going like in DQ8 to town trigger a cutscene and it'll tell you all you need to know. definitely didnt feel as rewarding imo. the sense of adventure in the old DQs I felt was missing in 8.

4) I liked the job system, it gave the player a lot of choices on how to build their own party and the player could decide what skills to give to each character. you dont have that level of control over your party's growth in DQ8 and that to me is a stepback. sure you need to fight a lot in 7 to get the jobs/skills you want but you had total control over your party's growth. like for example in DQ7 I could teach my whole party Increase if I want or heck how about Hustle Dance, that's not the case in DQ8 where some very useful skills are tied to specific characters that to me is a stepback.

the one thing I gave 8 that is a fantastic idea, is the alchemy pot and that really SHOULD come back in some way or the other in DQ9.

I dont know if I did a DQ ranking before, but after playing them all it'll be somethign like this.

DQ3=DQ4>DQ7>DQ5>DQ6>DQ8>DQ2>DQ1.

Johnas

^

I'm actually replaying VIII right now for the first time, despite DQ being my favorite RPG series. I didn't really have any problems with the game, other than the sheer length of it; I have trouble finishing games of this magnitude in a reasonable time frame these days. I did finish VIII on my first go-round in about 10 days, which was pretty gluttonous and probably the reason I've barely played it since (used my vacation from work :p ).

I tend to agree with Scarlet; while I haven't played VI, I felt the job system in VII was a little too cumbersome, I like how VIII streamlines it more. And to quote Himuro, what VIII nailed was the free-roaming, GTA-style huge 3D overworld, even if there wasn't a ton of variety in a lot of areas. Still well-designed with all the hidden chests and infamous monsters.

Overall, VIII felt like a great blend of old and new to me. I do like how IX looks kind of like it's taking some of VII's style and some of VIII's and blending them. Sounds like a formula for win.

Aeana

Error said:
For me DQ8 failed in a couple of areas:
1) dungeon design - obviously the move to full 3d meant simpler dungeons than in the old DQs

This is very true. One of my least favorite things about DQ8 is how simple the dungeons are, and how you are given maps, which I don't like too much.

Error said:
2) the scenario was not as enganging as the other DQs. at times I felt pushing myself to keep playing because I was bored out of my mind. DQ7 imo has the best scenario of all the DQ games even with all it's problems regarding shards and pacing, that game has a BUNCH of memorable moments something DQ8 doesnt really has imo. yes I enjoy the storylines in DQs

I can sort of agree, because coming off of 7, 8's scenario is very simple. I like it, though, and I found many parts to be simply breathtaking (
The moon world, when the ship is 'revived', the dark world, etc.
)

Error said:
3) I felt DQ8 was way too linear, while I reckon that the old DQs were also linear they did a great job at hiding that linearity. you enter a town in DQ3 and you need to speak to everyone to get a clue of what's going on instead of going like in DQ8 to town trigger a cutscene and it'll tell you all you need to know. definitely didnt feel as rewarding imo. the sense of adventure in the old DQs I felt was missing in 8.

Yeah, I wouldn't say DQ8 is more linear than any other DQ game at all, but the addition of the cutscenes probably makes it feel that way. Regardless, you still have to talk to plenty of people in order to get a real idea of what's going on, what to do next, and get your general backstory like you do in any other DQ game.

Error said:
4) I liked the job system, it gave the player a lot of choices on how to build their own party and the player could decide what skills to give to each character. you dont have that level of control over your party's growth in DQ8 and that to me is a stepback. sure you need to fight a lot in 7 to get the jobs/skills you want but you had total control over your party's growth. like for example in DQ7 I could teach my whole party Increase if I want or heck how about Hustle Dance, that's not the case in DQ8 where some very useful skills are tied to specific characters that to me is a stepback.

Yes, DQ8 is a step back from DQ7. To me, this is a very good thing. 7's class system is extremely overcomplicated, with far too many useless skills. That particular aspect does help with replayability, at least, though. I prefer DQ8's skill system, though... I hope 9 has something in between the class system and the skill system - a happy medium.

Error said:
the one thing I gave 8 that is a fantastic idea, is the alchemy pot and that really SHOULD come back in some way or the other in DQ9.

The alchemy pot is probably one of the best additions to the series. It aids with financial trouble, and allows you to get good equipment early if you know how. I love it!

Error said:
DQ3=DQ4>DQ7>DQ5>DQ6>DQ8>DQ2>DQ1.

Well, at least 5 is above some of them.

Top Bottom