• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IV, V, VI for DS announced !!

jarrod

Banned
Drakken said:
It says Armor Project / Bird Studio / Artepiazza / Square Enix at the bottom. So, does that mean those first three are involved with the development (excuse my ignorance)?
FWIW, Dragon Quest V PS2 said the same... then we found out later that Matrix Software actually made it. :lol

My money's on Matrix, TOSE or 8ing being behind these remakes...

Lucky

As someone with a DS who has never played any of the Dragon Quest games this seems like an awesome announcement. I'm very excited about this. I suppose I'll buy IV for sure and depending on how I like it I'll get more. I'm guessing it will come out 1Q08 along with DQS in NA which I'd also like to pick up. Can anybody suggest otherwise?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This thread still pumping makes me happy. I still need to finish off DQVIII but just posting this in here makes me want to crack open a new save for past DQ games.

Cheerilee

Lucky said:
As someone with a DS who has never played any of the Dragon Quest games this seems like an awesome announcement. I'm very excited about this. I suppose I'll buy IV for sure and depending on how I like it I'll get more. I'm guessing it will come out 1Q08 along with DQS in NA which I'd also like to pick up. Can anybody suggest otherwise?
Ha ha, no! Dragon Quest IV is awesome.

Cheerilee

Random H-game pics I found on the interweb. I believe it's from the PC98. I like the look of 8/16-bit art without the usual cartrige constraints. And girls with swords. And hentai. :lol

turk128

ruby_onix said:
Random H-game pics I found on the interweb. I believe it's from the PC98. I like the look of 8/16-bit art without the usual cartrige constraints. And girls with swords. And hentai. :lol
And I was wondering what hentai game PCE stood for....

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
neo ftw - thx dude :D

looks nice can`t w8 for the release in us :)

Aeana

Looks like they changed the shop interface, at least. I guess they made a box around the text so it's easier to press with the stylus. I really wonder what the battles will look like.

It also looks like they changed the maps a little. At the very least, Bautland castle is on the same map as Bautland town, but they were on separate screens in the PSX version.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I can't wait to play one of these for the first time. Question, as I'm pretty much ignorant on DQ pre VIII: is the battle system in these similar to VIII? Do IV-VI all have different things in their system or is basically the same thing for three games?

Well, they all use the traditional turn-based style of jRPG combat, but most of the iterations will differ in things like having Job Systems, etc. Those sort of gameplay mechanics.

Aeana

Darunia said:
I can't wait to play one of these for the first time. Question, as I'm pretty much ignorant on DQ pre VIII: is the battle system in these similar to VIII? Do IV-VI all have different things in their system or is basically the same thing for three games?

The core battle system remains very similar between 4, 5, and 6. They're different from DQ8. Faster. You don't see your own characters at all, and enemy attacks are limited to very short animations. Earlier DQ titles also lack tension.

vareon

I have a question here : Let's say I can only buy one of these titles, since the upcoming library on DS is killing my wallet. Which one should I get? Note that I never played ANY of the Dragon Quest series (shame on me).

Aeana

vareon said:
I have a question here : Let's say I can only buy one of these titles, since the upcoming library on DS is killing my wallet. Which one should I get? Note that I never played ANY of the Dragon Quest series (shame on me).

I would personally recommend 5, but I imagine most people will recommend 4. Both are very good starting points for the series.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
vareon said:
DQ4

JayDubya

Banned
vareon said:

VI has never been playable in English, though I think there are fan projects working on it, albeit slowly. So that leaves most English speakers with IV on their NES or V on an SNES emulator. I like the flow of V better, but both have unique plot gimmicks.

Mild spoilers ahoy, to sort of attempt to explain why I like V better.

IV follows four different sets* of characters through their own chapters before you even meet the main character, your hero, who brings them all together. It's a bit like Odin Sphere in that regard, if Odin Sphere actually let your heroes combine forces at the end.

V follows the main character, your hero, beginning as a little boy through adulthood, marriage, parenthood, etc; from villager to slave to rightful king.

JayDubya said:
VI has never been playable in English, though I think there are fan projects working on it, albeit slowly. So that leaves most English speakers with IV on their NES or V on an SNES emulator. I like the flow of V better, but both have unique plot gimmicks.

IV follows four different sets of characters through their own chapters before you even meet the main character, your hero, who brings them all together. It's a bit like Odin Sphere in that regard, if Odin Sphere actually let your heroes combine forces at the end.

V follows the main character, your hero, beginning as a little boy through adulthood, marriage, parenthood, etc; from villager to slave to rightful king. It resona

It resona?

JayDubya

Banned
Error said:
good job spoiling the whole game.

Fine, I'll spoiler tag it. Erase your copy of it too if it's that big a deal.

Talking about specific characters or events is a big deal to me. That sort of tagline I gave is the sort of thing people find on movie trailers. It's probably the best feature of the game - why not promote it as such?

Jiggy

vareon said:
o_O

Thanks, that leaves me a choice between IV and V. I'll choose the one with better storyline, any ideas? Both have very interesting plot gimmicks >.<
I can't speak for V, but I really enjoyed the structure of IV.
Time passes between the chapters and inevitably you end up revisiting old locations to find that things have changed quite a bit... One of my favorite aspects of that game, definitely. There's also some decent variety to the first four chapters, particularly the third, and it's hard to ever feel you're doing the same thing four times, due to the different goals of the chapters, different emphases on NPCs, and such. I won't say any more than that, though.

And also it has Alena--you see her in the scan, the girl in the yellow dress and blue hat--and she was probably the most awesome female fighter in any RPG for fifteen or so years. >_>

Verve

i searched and didn't find anything, so hopefully this rumor hasn't been posted yet..

gamefront.de writes:

rumor from game labo:

if DQ IV DS sells very well, the online feature of DQ IX will be removed and the game will be sold without. the online part will be released with another software then...

don't know if thats any kind of likely

Victrix

*beard*
holy shit! I was out of town when this dropped and I missed it completely

very cool!

query: what'd be the best versions for playing dq1-3 today?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Am I just seeing things, or do some things look all warped and wobbly, like the should-be straight lines...?

Thomper

Verve said:
i searched and didn't find anything, so hopefully this rumor hasn't been posted yet..

gamefront.de writes:

rumor from game labo:

if DQ IV DS sells very well, the online feature of DQ IX will be removed and the game will be sold without. the online part will be released with another software then...

From what I've read of most Japanese GAFfers, Gamelabo rumors mean nothing at all. I'd say take it with a large grain of salt.

And weren't there already rumors that the online mode of DQIX had been removed a couple of months ago? That, and IV and IX are both supposed to appear by the end of the year - you don't simply take an online mode 'out' in a matter of days/weeks.

itxaka

Defeatist
f_reggiedancem_c5dc6c9.gif

JayDubya said:

Mild spoilers ahoy, to sort of attempt to explain why I like V better.

IV follows four different sets* of characters through their own chapters before you even meet the main character, your hero, who brings them all together. It's a bit like Odin Sphere in that regard, if Odin Sphere actually let your heroes combine forces at the end.

V follows the main character, your hero, beginning as a little boy through adulthood, marriage, parenthood, etc; from villager to slave to rightful king.

VI is definitely playable in english

firex

Yeah, DQ6 has been fan translated, although it has some bugs.

And personally, I think it's just lacking the charm or wit of either the original NES Ren-faire english style translations or the silly saturday morning cartoon charm of DQ8, or even the sometimes monty python-ish translation of DQ7. Anyway, you can play 6 fully in english... it's just a bit hard to get the translation patch, and I don't think it's even worth it. I'm buying all 3 of these remakes, though I'm most excited about 4 because (as I've said too many times already) I've never played it.

mutsu

Verve said:

gamefront.de writes:

rumor from game labo:

Worst rumour ever.

firex said:
Yeah, DQ6 has been fan translated, although it has some bugs.

And personally, I think it's just lacking the charm or wit of either the original NES Ren-faire english style translations or the silly saturday morning cartoon charm of DQ8, or even the sometimes monty python-ish translation of DQ7. Anyway, you can play 6 fully in english... it's just a bit hard to get the translation patch, and I don't think it's even worth it. I'm buying all 3 of these remakes, though I'm most excited about 4 because (as I've said too many times already) I've never played it.

Yeah, I didn't really have fun with DQVI. I'm sure the Japanese version was great, but there wasn't any "magic" to playing the fan translation. The game itself was good, but it was kinda impossible to get into the story or care about the world at all.

That, and save-states + maxing out the speed killed any challenge and fun I could've otherwise had. Damn me and my grinding ways.

Link1110

Jiggy37 said:
And also it has Alena--you see her in the scan, the girl in the yellow dress and blue hat--and she was probably the most awesome female fighter in any RPG for fifteen or so years. >_>
Alis.png

Top Bottom