• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest IV, V, VI for DS announced !!

C.T.

Odysseus said:
wasn't this announced at the squeenix party back in may?

edit: judging by the reaction so far, i guess not.

It was. Yuuji Horii said it, but had to refrain from those statements because Square Enix wasn't happy he told everyone.

traveler

Not Wario
Enduin said:
Good to hear. I played the whole thing, but didnt come away happy. I absolutely love the style and everything about the world, but I just did not quite expect such a generic story and combat system.

The real problem was the speed, it was all too slow and tedious so everything became a chore and nothing was rewarding, but if these DQs are as quick as FFIII is then there wont be a problem, even if their stories are just as plain.

I had similar problems as well, although I did love the art style and size of the world. I'm starting to think, however, the JRPG has simply become too stale of a genre for me to enjoy. (FFXII being the only one I even remotely enjoyed in the past few years) Considering these are remakes from a while back, I doubt they'll change my mind. This announcement simply isn't for me.

Best news of the year? HELL no. :lol SC2 alone destroys that notion.

Don't let me stop the sploogefest though. You guys enjoy your party. I'll check back in at the release of DQIV (or whatever comes first) and if anyone can convince me I'll enjoy it, I might just check these out.

AniHawk

This may be the first chance V and VI come stateside too, right? I'd like to give 'em a chance. Heard they were good.

lyre

Ether_Snake said:
Rerelease of Dragon Quest I+II on PSP confirmed! No graphical updates other than some fancier sprites and a new dungeon. Maybe a FFIV FMV for the intro for both games, maybe.
Dragon Quest's 20th anniversary has already passed. It'll be nice though (Horii probably won't have anything to do with them).

DQV has perhaps one of the best intros I've ever seen in an RPG. Not sure how well it holds up today but at time I was really really impressed.

Yes. Now all I need is that translation of DQ III on Super Famicom (was that ever released?). At any rate I now have a reason to use this:
Superfap.jpg

Nuke

Banned
Keep in mind while that DQV has had a great fan translation available for many years now, DQVI has never been fully translated to english.

JayDubya

Banned
AniHawk said:
This may be the first chance V and VI come stateside too, right? I'd like to give 'em a chance. Heard they were good.

Yup.

Only way to play DQV at this point is with a .rom, a fan translation, and an emulator, or to be able to read Japanese. I highly recommend doing this, as the game is great and the translation out there is very well done.

There isn't even a fan translation for DQVI, so you pretty much have to speak Japanese. Haven't played it yet.

jjasper

JayDubya said:
Yup.

Only way to play DQV at this point is with a .rom, a fan translation, and an emulator, or to be able to read Japanese. I highly recommend doing this, as the game is great and the translation out there is very well done.

There isn't even a fan translation for DQVI, so you pretty much have to speak Japanese.

I think there is, I tried it once. If it is the one that has an opening scene in some castle and then has like a 2 different dimensions thing going on at least.

Aeana

AniHawk said:

I think chances are pretty good that they'll make it over. Joker and Dragon Quest Swords are both coming, so it'd be pretty weird if these didn't. SE seems pretty serious about Dragon Quest in North America, ever since DQ8.

Shouta

JayDubya said:
Yup.

There isn't even a fan translation for DQVI, so you pretty much have to speak Japanese.

I thought there was a fan translation of DQ6, or at least a functional translation. Been ages since I've played it though. It's not like most DQ games need a huge amount of Japanese to play them. They aren't very dialogue/story/cutscene heavy (sans DQ8) beyond simple explanations of the circumstances.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
JohnyDeepthroat said:

Grrreeeaattt...... soiled my pants at work... AGAIN!@ :lol

DS 4TW!

Yeah, right.
Now please don't post ****ing disgusting pics like that ever again, thanks.
FFS, I'm starting to believe a juniors' curse does indeed exists.

jjasper said:
I think there is, I tried it once. If it is the one that has an opening scene in some castle and then has like a 2 different dimensions thing going on at least.

Yeah, there's definitely a translation of VI. I got pretty far into it, but pretty much ruined the game by save stating/speeding up time to level grind like a crazy madman.

I didn't know if there was one for V...never saw one that worked anyways. Guess it doesn't matter as long as these are coming here. :D

Aeana

Shouta said:
I thought there was a fan translation of DQ6, or at least a functional translation. Been ages since I've played it though. It's not like most DQ games need a huge amount of Japanese to play them. They aren't very dialogue/story/cutscene heavy (sans DQ8) beyond simple explanations of the circumstances.

There is one, but it's "99% complete" and the script is extremely stiff, from what I've seen (firex showed me some screenshots at some point).

JayDubya

Banned
Shouta said:
I thought there was a fan translation of DQ6, or at least a functional translation. Been ages since I've played it though. It's not like most DQ games need a huge amount of Japanese to play them. They aren't very dialogue/story heavy beyond simple explanations of the circumstances.

One of the things I liked best about V was the story, actually. The concept is pretty great, following a character over his entire lifespan.

And the story was VERY dark.

Never mind I see DQ 4 is out in english, but only on the NES.

While I'd rather see all the original versions get released in english on the Virtual Console, I'll take what I can get!

Munin said:
I never played the early Dragon Quests, but I do hope their gameplay isn't as archaic as Final Fantasy III's, because frankly, that one pretty much sucked gameplay-wise.

I know I should think of FF3 (NA) as FFIV.. but I just can't... so I'll assume that you're not talking about FFIV. Those are some of my fondest gaming memories to date.

TreIII

Mmmm....good stuff.

I definitely have a soft spot for IV and V. Might pick these up, if the port jobs are good...

Jiggy

Dash Kappei said:
(S-E never ever giving major releases to VC confirmed)
I love VC, but to be honest, I'd rather have the portability despite the extra cost. ...Well, that and these actually have a shot to be translated--and even if they aren't because of some asinine decision, they'll still be playable on any DS.

Wait, one more reason, actually. I'm guessing these will have a bit faster walking speed, which would be a huge positive to me. I love IV, really and truly, but the NES version's walking speed is so staggeringly slow that today I just can't play it anymore. I need auto-run, or even a dash button.

Enduin said:
Yeah definitely, I was thinking of pickin it up too, but this is SE and it'll be 2 years since IV came out on the GBA when the DS version will release so I figured expecting FFV next year and VI after that wasnt all that irrational.
Yeah, probably isn't irrational at all. I think it'll still happen, and I don't see Dragon Quest getting in the way.

kman3000

Square Enix Milkage confirmed.:lol

Okay seriously this is very exciting news considering some of those never made to the U.S.:D

Shouta

JayDubya said:
One of the things I liked best about V was the story, actually. The concept is pretty great, following a character over his entire lifespan.

And the story was VERY dark.

DQV's premise is really good. However, it's a lot like the the other DQs (the first 6 anyway) in that there's a limited amount of storytelling and dialogue beyond what is really needed. 6 and 7 have more character interaction but it's not that much more, certainly not on the same level as 8.

Error said:
DQ4 has the best DQ soundtrack. get those headphones ready!

I never got to play part V, but of those I have played, IV's soundtrack is definitely the best. Although, I pretty much love the soundtracks to all the DQ games.

The Japanese take time off work to queue up when these games are released. If you think the DS has shortages and high demand in Japan now, wait till this is released.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Forgotten Ancient said:
I never got to play part V, but of those I have played, IV's soundtrack is definitely the best. Although, I pretty much love the soundtracks to all the DQ games.
remake of 3 has some really nice songs, so it's a toss up between those 2 when it comes to DQ soundtracks imo.

Top Bottom