• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII coming to Japanese 3DS' [February 7th, 2013]

neoemonk

Still got my old save :D

xxJS9.jpg

STG!

...giving hints about where to find new shards

And that's a good and much needed fix. Not that I don't mind how the game originally is, but the game expects an extremely-thorough exploration effort from the player. I played it without a walkthough, and still even after thinking I was doing everything right one shard managed to completely elude me and caused me to do a decent amount of backtracking to figure out what I missed. I should have been under 90 hours! :)

That said, the game is a pleasure. The way the game develops is really something special, and a few of the stories in it are some of my favorites in the entire DQ series. The opening is really a non-issue in my eyes, it's long but not unbearable. Fun game, with a ton of stuff to do and experience along the way.
Kind of curious to see how one certain later section of the game is handled in full 3D.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
JRPG for handheld announced?

Obligatory "hope it gets localised/comes to EU and NA" comment.

Until that is confirmed, this game doesn't exist to me.

Prophane33

Would get it day one if the 3DS was region free, I've played every DQ game, but never in English, this sure as heck isn't going to be the first. I guess I'll have to pick up a Japanese 3DS and get this one on the cheap in the distant future.

Sinople

The news I've been waiting for, and it's only 4 months away! =)

I wonder if they're going with the DQ 8/9 route or the first person route for the battles. I like to see the characters but I would prefer the latter for quicker battles. The game is already long enough.
The new fairy...thing should make the tablet-hunting easier and is a welcome addition despite its meh design.

Aeana

And that's a good and much needed fix. Not that I don't mind how the game originally is, but the game expects an extremely-thorough exploration effort from the player. I played it without a walkthough, and still even after thinking I was doing everything right one shard managed to completely elude me and caused me to do a decent amount of backtracking to figure out what I missed. I should have been under 90 hours! :)

That said, the game is a pleasure. The way the game develops is really something special, and a few of the stories in it are some of my favorites in the entire DQ series. The opening is really a non-issue in my eyes, it's long but not unbearable. Fun game, with a ton of stuff to do and experience along the way.
Kind of curious to see how one certain later section of the game is handled in full 3D.

It doesn't expect you to explore, because it provides an NPC who tells you where you can find shards.

Synless

The "they" who brought 5 and the "they" who brought 6 are different people, though. 6 was not going to come until Nintendo swooped in and picked it up. And then they got kinda bitten on that deal too.
I did my part! They better bring DQ7 over.

Aeana

Oh good it's ArtePiazza again, so it's probably closer to DQV PS2 technology than Joker/Terry 3D.
It looks better than DQ5 PS2 in terms of model detail at least. But yeah, Arte Piazza with Majima art direction once again. It's not going to look super amazing, but it'll be eye-pleasing.

Aeana

It's mostly just credits and general information (genre/system/etc). It does say the release date is February 7th, but I'm not sure if we knew that specific date or not.

Oops, forgot the scan didn't say the 7th. I had heard that from someone else. So yeah, that part's new.

salromano

Staff credits:

Scenario and Game Design: Yuji Horii
Character Design: Akira Toriyama
Music: Goichi Sugiyama
Planning and Development: ArtePiazza
Marketing: Square Enix

neo2046

ttp://www.famitsu.com/news/201210/31023590.html

> also orchestra sound from Tokyo Metropolitan Symphony Orchestra will be used as the BGM this time

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No best news ever would be a localization announcement. This is great news though.

DQ VII is the last really good DQ soundtrack.

STG!

It doesn't expect you to explore, because it provides an NPC who tells you where you can find shards.

We're talking original or the new one?

Just a small hint or indicator that you might have missed something, I'm all good. That's a good fix!

Aeana

We're talking original or the new one?

Just a small hint or indicator that you might have missed something, I'm all good.

The original. If you go to the valley by Falrish, she's set up down there and she'll give you hints about the locations of shards you're missing.

Bladenic

If this comes out in the West and I have a 3DS, will totally get. DQ1-3 and 7 are the games I haven't played, and since there's no readily available way to play the first 3, 7 will do wonderfully to get my DQ fix.

Not sure if I'll be able to handle this. I could barely force myself through the 40 hours of Dragon Quest IV, let alone the 25034590 hours of DQVII.

Will definitely buy, but it'll probably take me 200 years to finish.

Snake

Amazing coincidence. A copy of DQ7 has been sitting in my room unplayed for the last ten years, and only two days after I finally start the game they announce a remake!

I'm actually accustomed to the graphics at this point in the game, but if any Dragon Quest needed an update it is definitely 7.

Bearpowers

Neo Member
This is my favorite game of all time with BoF4 coming in close 2nd.

I am importing myself a White 3DS XL this Christmas it seems.

donny2112

Wonder if they'll port 8 next.

8 was on PS2, which isn't just terribly far from 3DS levels, so there wouldn't be much of an up-port. HD remake would seem best, but with DQXI likely going on 3DS, I'd imagine DQXI would be the next game. They could always go back and re-make DQ1/2/3 again, though. :)

Top Bottom