• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII coming to Japanese 3DS' [February 7th, 2013]

Logo:

zrBm3.jpg

TEJ

Felt more hand fed in 8 rather than being allowed to figure it out for myself.

figuring it out in 7 meant ungodly amounts of battles. Not trying to say that DQ8's system was perfect, but common sense would dictate not to put any points in stuff like unarmed.

Aeana

Quickly caught up with the thread in case I missed some things outside of Aeana schooling people.

Hooray. I take it'll be straight from the CD release rather than a re-recording? Unless Square Enix want to foot the bill for a new rendition that is, which is entirely plausible if they wanted to add new scenes or sections. Some very beautiful tracks on this soundtrack (Over the Horizon is beyond luscious - though this is the London Philharmonic version) and it'll be sublime to hear it filter through while playing.

Was thinking about getting rid of my US 3DS but I'll keep it around just in case.
It'll be a new recording, just like DQ5 PS2 was.

That's kind of clunky though. The remake should give you a Dragon Ball style radar or something.
The remake adds a new fairy character who will give you those hints on the go.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Naturally this huuuuuuge news has to hit when I'm without power/internets due to Sandy :p Saw the scan and I want so bad, ready to spend another 130 hours of my life on this... I loved about 99% of DQ7 (building up immigrant town notwithstanding), maybe with this version they'll nerf Sword Dance a bit :p

Oxx

This thread is giving me Dragon Quest fever.

Unfortunately the only DQ game on my shelf that I haven't finished is DQ Swords.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I was assuming he's a Dragon Quest fan.

The best parts of DQVIII are very much not like the rest of the series, which holds it back.

DQVII is far superior.

I can't help feeling that if DQVIII didn't have the graphical polish it does it would have been largely ignored. Without the job system, tons of characters, monster recruiting, it kinda feels like bare bones DQ with pretty graphics.

I mean come on, it was fun, but even the dungeon design was bad. Plus the battle speed had to be slowed way down to encompass load times.

A great RPG? Hell yeah. A great DQ game? Ehh...

I take serious issue with Monster recruiting defining what constitutes a "Dragon Quest" game. A gimmick that permeated a game or two that some of us fans don't give a shit about nor even want. Joker can have that stuff. No DQ requires it, nor does my appreciation of the franchise hinder on it.

As for job system vs. skill system. Both suffer the same problems that DQ has always had. A silly number of pointless skills that are pushed aside for a few useful and redundant ones. The concept is always great, but never is executed well. DQ7 or 8, they both suffer nearly fatal flaws in their character customization, but the engagement is fine.

As for the speedy battle system...eh. DQ8 did get a bit too hung up on the tension system, which made many of the dramatic battles a bit drawn out. But what you suggest is a non-experience. It's one thing to want battles that end as fast as they begin, but I'd prefer beefier battles than a non-game. Combat so automated that you barely need to consider it. DQ always suffers this issue though, and really it's not exclusive to DQ alone, but I never agreed with the conceit that "instant fights!" are a good thing.

So yes, I would argue that all these factors do make DQ8 superior because of its vastly superior world and visuals. As trite as that may appear.

Please SE, please release your games in English. >_<

I want BD and DQ etc!

Its cool for Nintendo to keep getting these huge exclusives but don't forget about us not-Japan people too. :(

So yes, I would argue that all these factors do make DQ8 superior because of its vastly superior world and visuals. As trite as that may appear.

Visuals, I'll give you, but DQ7 has an amazing game world with some of the most memorable towns and locations in the series. I suspect I'm not the only one who grew particular attached to that world because I, you know,
put it together piece by piece

jb1234

Good news! I doubt I'll play through the game again (as the first time took me months and 108 hours) but for the ones who haven't played it yet, it's quite the experience.

ghibli99

Navi confirmed?
LOL... for this game, I had to use a guide, so this will be a welcome addition. There were just way too many times where I felt completely lost, having no idea where I needed to go next. Even when I did know the solution, several times it just felt so random, like it was making me wander around near-aimlessly happening upon the right item or NPC to advance the story. I really hope they tighten up all the backtracking and long corridors that seem to serve no purpose but to make it a 100+ hour game.

That being said, I still do very much like this one, but the PS1 original was not without its flaws.

isual

Welp, with this, the official SMT4 and MH4 on the 3DS, Handheld will be the champ this next gen. Vita would be too...only thing on that is Ys and the digimon game (if they ever send it overseas).

Full 3D remake... Orchestral score...
Just from these two details, it seems to me this game is VERY different from the last DS remakes, and also much better to sell for Western audiences too.
Yeah. DQVI and DQMJ2 might've both bombed for Nintendo, but DQIX was a million seller for them. DQVII is looking like it'll have the sort of potential to follow that moreso, despite being a remake.

Megatron

If Nintendo does pass, I wonder if someone like XSeed could bring it over? I wish Sony could step in and offer to port it to Vita, but I know that wouldn't happen.

jdevil99

I am willing to buy a JP region 3DS for this title, regardless of any real solid info at this point. DQVII is one of my favorite games of all time, not just in the RPG category, but games in general.

If Nintendo does pass, I wonder if someone like XSeed could bring it over? I wish Sony could step in and offer to port it to Vita, but I know that wouldn't happen.
I thought Xseed had a pretty strict "no SE" policy?

The only 3rd party who ever brought over SE games was Ubisoft iirc.

I hope there's some new playable characters too. Even though I love the game, the main cast of DQVII aren't really my favorite.

Ubisoft did Drakengard II but not anything else. They're the only 3rd party to pick up something since SE's formation though. Before that they did Grandia II PS2 (which Enix had a hand in).

EA?

But that was more of a joint venture between Squaresoft and EA, I think.
Yeah, that was a partnership for distribution of each other's games (Square EA in the west, EA Square in Japan). It ended with the SE merger though.

Eidos also brought over some Dragon Warrior games for the GBC.
Only the first one. They also did FFVII/VIII PC iirc. This was also pre-SE though.

figuring it out in 7 meant ungodly amounts of battles. Not trying to say that DQ8's system was perfect, but common sense would dictate not to put any points in stuff like unarmed.

Except that Unarmed had some of the best abilities in the game like Thin Air and Defending Champion.

DekuLink

nothankyou.gif

It was pretty, but the gameplay really suffered from the perspective and the slow battles.

I still haven't played DQ5 PS2, but that game looks pretty much exactly how I want my 3D Dragon Quest, except maybe a bit too zoomed in. From the scan this looks somewhere between the two, though it's a bit early to judge

What has a graphics engine to do with battle speed?

Slime

Banned
Jeez, this is going to be huge!

Handheld is the best format for this. It'll be fun to take this with me and play it in short bursts. I always enjoy this game more when I just savor it.

Gloam

So, word from a few places is that DQVII is being "evaluated" for an international release. Let's hope they don't look at the sales for VI and Joker 2!

Taruranto

I was assuming he's a Dragon Quest fan.

The best parts of DQVIII are very much not like the rest of the series, which holds it back.

DQVII is far superior.

I can't help feeling that if DQVIII didn't have the graphical polish it does it would have been largely ignored. Without the job system, tons of characters, monster recruiting, it kinda feels like bare bones DQ with pretty graphics.

I mean come on, it was fun, but even the dungeon design was bad. Plus the battle speed had to be slowed way down to encompass load times.

A great RPG? Hell yeah. A great DQ game? Ehh...

While i do agree that VIII gameplay feels rather poor in some areas compared to VII (mostly characters customization), i really don't see how it doesn't feel like a DQ game.

If anything, DQIX is the one that fails as a DQ game, imo.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I wouldn't be surprised to see it announced by the end of next year at least.

At this point, after Slime Mori Mori, Terry's Wonderland remake and this high profile remake, it's just the next logical step.

Oxx

At this point, after Slime Mori Mori, Terry's Wonderland remake and this high profile remake, it's just the next logical step.

They could wait until Sony has some positive Vita news to announce before revealing it for 3DS to put the final nail in the coffin.

But in that scenario, DQXI might never get announced.

Would really love to see more screens.

I got about 30 hours into the PSone game before I hit a game-breaking glitch. I was really just starting to get into the town anecdotes.

Really disappointed they're not continuing in the DS games' VII-inspired style, however. I really was wanting to see that polygon/sprite-work hybrid continue in VII at a higher resolution and with a more powerful processor.

Top Bottom