• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII coming to Japanese 3DS' [February 7th, 2013]

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eight. Not eight titles, but the eighth Dragon Quest game, Journey of the Cursed King.

It's going to be a gr-eight day when that is no longer the case.

DQ VIII with no load times, wherever I go or DQ VIII in HD...hopefully with no load times and gamepad only mode.

Aeana

It's going to be a gr-eight day when that is no longer the case.

DQ VIII with no load times, wherever I go or DQ VIII in HD...hopefully with no load times and gamepad only mode.
DQ8 with no load times is already possible with HD Loader on PS2~

At this point, after Slime Mori Mori, Terry's Wonderland remake and this high profile remake, it's just the next logical step.
I still think we could get a DQM2 remake too. And maybe a Shonen Yangus conversion and the inevitable Itadaki Street x-over. Plus the GBC games on VC (it's really time for DQ to finally hit VC).

I wonder if L5 will be involved with DQXI?

DQVIII I'm sort if feeling Wii U HD Remix for some reason...

So how many DQ games are left that aren't playable on Nintendo consoles?
They should really port the SNES versions (or most recent mobile versions, whichever are better) of Dragon Quest I, II and III for the eShop or a combo cart, then you've have almost the whole series on one system.

kunonabi

Well if 8 is the only one missing I think I'm going to go ahead and start collecting the main series. I just have 4 and 9 at the moment.

Something weird for me to think about is when I last played this game, (when it first came out) the series was called Dragon Warrior and it was the first time since the NES that I had played a new DQ game.

It has come a long way.

:)

I'm pretty nostalgic for this game. I'm excited to hear what people who are playing it for the first time will think of it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
qbkKy.jpg

Yeahhh... it's probably for the best.

lol the CGI was really bad and probably the reason the game was 2 discs.

this is one of my fave in the series, flawed? sure but it has the best story in the series.

if they tweak the job system and make it less tedious to level up jobs (boss fights should count more towards leveling up jobs than regular fights) man oh man, perfect DQ.

Mileena

Banned
They should really port the SNES versions (or most recent mobile versions, whichever are better) of Dragon Quest I, II and III for the eShop or a combo cart, then you've have almost the whole series on one system.

SE should do this with both DQ and FF. Free fucking money!

Wonder if a spiffied up Caravan Hearts is on a timeline somewhere in the dark recesses of the S-E HQ----that's be one that could benefit from some do-over I'd think.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
I really hope they bring this to the states because I recently tried to play the PSX game and I hated the way the character controlled. The game is awesome but it just felt hard to maneuver. If it's using the DQMW engine then the controls must be fantastic compared to the original. Please localize this Square-Enix.

Metallix87

Agreed. That would be absolutely amazing, and probably very easy money for Square-Enix.

hongcha

I'd bet SE will put up at least DQ1 on the Japanese 3DS eshop (Famicom version) around the release of DQVII, as a tie-in.

yankee666

I'd bet SE will put up at least DQ1 on the Japanese 3DS eshop (Famicom version) around the release of DQVII, as a tie-in.

That would be great, but i really doubt it. The game isnt even on the Wii JP VC. Maybe they could release the GBC version of DQ 1+2

Canuck76

Banned
Eh still need to beat DQV and get 9......

But if I live to 50 i'll buy it!

No I'm excited, bring the rest of the DQ's through e-shop or something too tho.

All the DQ's on one system

randomkid

This speculation from Parish a while ago is kinda funny in retrospect.

http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9087723

Though to be fair, he did caveat the hell out of it. The dangers of body language reading!

I'm actually looking forward to more info, it's pretty ridiculous how just the promise of an orchestrated soundtrack and avoiding the original engine is slowly turning me around.

Celine

Though to be fair, he did caveat the hell out of it. The dangers of body language reading!

I'm actually looking forward to more info, it's pretty ridiculous how just the promise of an orchestrated soundtrack and avoiding the original engine is slowly turning me around.
I'm glad (and probably he is too) that he "need" eat a crow.

Eusis

He could still be right and that's the reason why this is a full remake.

But it seems unlikely.
They usually go for full remakes anyway, DQIV DS was almost a fluke and even then that had some significant visual changes if you actually compared the PS1 and DS versions. Basically it just kept the sprites.

Jeremy should know that in Japan they are much more sensitive to this sort of thing - company honor and business relationships, I mean - you just don't show up to a big Nintendo-Enix announcement and bring up the split that occurred during the PS1 days.
Talk about committing a faux-pas!

He also speculates that Sony subsidized games like FF7 and DQ7, but can anyone confirm this? It would be the first I've heard of it, when Squaresoft was quick to point out it was the CD-ROM format and memory capacity that was the major turning point.
And Enix has stated the platform with the biggest user base (not the biggest money bags) gets the DQ series (which explains why the PS1 and PS2 got DQ7 and DQ8). At least, that's how it was back then.

ghibli99

Dug up some of the pictures I took of my DQ7 playthrough back in 2010... some good and not-so-good memories here. I don't think there is anything spoilerish in here.

Makes sense to me! :)
4oIgZ.jpg

Charm is a big part of why I love the DQ series.
YkdUi.jpg

Took so long to get here, but it was worth it!
cjVs2.jpg

I hate this guy. I really do feel like I got lucky when I beat him.
tLx8L.jpg

I got quite addicted to the job system... using Whistle to quickly grind out jobs was a lot of fun!
whmlm.jpg

Dug up some of the pictures I took of my DQ7 playthrough back in 2010... some good and not-so-good memories here. I don't think there is anything spoilerish in here.

So do you think I should try to play this version before the 3DS one comes out?
I've played and enjoyed all the DS ones and DQ8 in the past few years.

Cactus

Banned
So do you think I should try to play this version before the 3DS one comes out?
I've played and enjoyed all the DS ones and DQ8 in the past few years.

The PS1 version is really good, so there's no harm playing though it, especially considering we might never get the 3DS version in English.

ghibli99

Hopefully the 3ds version improves the graphics. I love DQ7, but it's fugly.
I think its biggest faults were the CG cutscenes and some rather sloppy sprite scaling in their (at the time) unrefined engine. I also didn't like that the world map was so clunky... I like that they changed them to straight 2D with the DS games. Those look so much better to me.

I found most of the other graphics to be quite pleasant. The monster animations were just spectacular, and I can't wait to see them again in the 3DS game!

I hope we do hear something soon on this. It would be wonderful to have this game to look forward to in English. Being able to play it in portable form would be the ultimate.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
I swear, it better be 3D and Akira Toriyama should be consulted.

Aeana

It really does seem like they've gone a route similar to Phantasy Star 2/4 or perhaps more similarly, Lufia 2 for battles. That's an interesting median approach that should hopefully satisfy everyone.

Also interesting that they've gone ahead and added furigana, which isn't something I expected anyone but Level-5 to do.

It does look like there's a decent compromise there with the battle engine. I doubt this system will account for the long/drawn out animations of VIII/IX, so it should be a lot faster. I hope we get a trailer soon that demonstrates it.

Also seems like there might be a visible equipment feature for the classes or just generally? It would probably explain why they went this direction with the battle engine. Should be interesting to see how monster classes are handled if that's the case, ha.

There are new scans from this week's Famitsu? If so I need to find them >_>
I think it's just a HQ version of the one we already saw last week.

Top Bottom