• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII coming to Japanese 3DS' [February 7th, 2013]

ghibli99

Thanks. Wonder why Se didn't show this at tgs, maybe to preserve dqx lol
DQ7 is a known quantity in Japan. It sold over 4 million there, scoring 38/40 from Famitsu (I know, I know...). Pretty sure SE could have just written a one-line blurb confirming its existence and release date and guaranteed a ton of sales. If it comes here, though, hopefully there's a (i.e., *any*) presence at E3.

Gloam

A new advertisement and magazine scan has shown up. The graphics look really good, the 3DS' top screen displays the action in town while the bottom screen shows a sort of three-quarter view map. The camera also appears to be lower to the ground than IX, looks to be more in line with the PS2 remake of V (which I think people had said earlier in the thread).

Both the advertisement and the magazine scan appear to show the world map and maybe some form of out-of-battle attack, looks as if there's a ring coming out of the party as they approach an enemy... Could be something else though. There's also a couple of battle shots which seem to confirm a behind-the-back Phantasy Star 2 style view.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A new advertisement and magazine scan has shown up. The graphics look really good, the 3DS' top screen displays the action in town while the bottom screen shows a sort of three-quarter view map. The camera also appears to be lower to the ground than IX, looks to be more in line with the PS2 remake of V (which I think people had said earlier in the thread).

Both the advertisement and the magazine scan appear to show the world map and maybe some form of out-of-battle attack, looks as if there's a ring coming out of the party as they approach an enemy... Could be something else though. There's also a couple of battle shots which seem to confirm a behind-the-back Phantasy Star 2 style view.

I've seen the advertisement too, but I can't find the new magazine scan ( I think you mean from Famitsu, since it was in this week's issue). I need to find it. :D

Jucksalbe

Banned
Both the advertisement and the magazine scan appear to show the world map and maybe some form of out-of-battle attack, looks as if there's a ring coming out of the party as they approach an enemy...
Does this mean the game has visible enemies and no random encounters? (sorry haven't followed the thread for some time)

Gloam

Correction, what I thought was a threat-ring on the field, appears to be a dirt trail. There is a slime visible on the world map, so I suppose encounters work the same as the last couple of games.

DCharlie posted the ad over on twitter.
rbptXl.jpg

luca1980

Banned
wow, so charming...
i loved dqvii. with sword dance still intact and fast exploring and battles i will replay it for sure!!!!

BearChair

Early speculation was that there was no way this would get localized because of the game's size and because DQVI sold so poorly in the US.

Has that changed at all? Are we hoping for this game fruitlessly?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Square just recently said that they're considering the possibility...but except for those words which could be PR words too, nothing else: still speculation about it coming or not here on Gaf.

Looks cool. The world map (?) looks DQIX-inspired - they're really going all out with this remake it seems. Guess town exploration will be fixed on one screen this time compared to the DS remakes.

Aeana

Hm. The change in world map style could have a pretty dramatic effect on the game.

The shot showing Gran Estard actually looks surprisingly similar to the original game.

29-Screen_17.PNG

Sadly the best image I could find, not exactly the angle I wanted.

Aeana

Huh? Can't you switch between different perspective in battle? There seem to be battles with the old view and then some with the PS kinda view.

Also, not happy with the visible enemies on the field, but I guess it can't be helped.

No, what's happening is that it's first-person when you're selecting your commands, and then the camera pulls out while attacks are being executed.

Aeana

The weird thing about this to me is how the dungeons look. They seem to have actually kept the same perspective and design. It's not a bad thing, but it's kind of striking compared to the way they've pulled the camera down and built stuff up in other locations.

Spiegel

It's a big step up from other DQ remakes but similar to DQV PS2. This is how I imagined DQIX would've looked if it had been psp game.

Jucksalbe

Banned
No, what's happening is that it's first-person when you're selecting your commands, and then the camera pulls out while attacks are being executed.

Ah, you're right. Didn't notice there was no command window in the PS style.

Overall, I'm excited for this because it's a portable DQ7, but apart from that, I don' know, I prefer the style of the original, maybe it's the nostalgia.

I like those graphics. It seems like an update engine of DQIX

Looks more like DQV PS2 engine to me. Some areas look strikingly similar, especially town interiors and the dungeons.

The world map really looks like a complete overhaul wow...that will be interesting to see how they execute. Hopefully they do it properly because I'm sort of wary at the moment.

The weird thing about this to me is how the dungeons look. They seem to have actually kept the same perspective and design. It's not a bad thing, but it's kind of striking compared to the way they've pulled the camera down and built stuff up in other locations.

Yeah the dungeons look so very similar to the original while everything else feels different.

jett

D-Member
tnxtc.jpg

Are they trying to imitate the warping textures of the PS1 here? :p

It looks nice, they've respected the design of the original which I appreciate.

fates

I am trying really, really, really hard to not get excited for this. Square Enix's decisions for localization have continuously disappointed me, and this game is a massive translation undertaking.

gkryhewy

I am trying really, really, really hard to not get excited for this. Square Enix's decisions for localization have continuously disappointed me, and this game is a massive translation undertaking.

But they already have a translation, no?

urfe

Not sure how I feel on the screenshots. Regardless, picking this game up the day it comes out.

Still haven't picked up Bravely Default... :(

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
tnxtc.jpg

Are they trying to imitate the warping textures of the PS1 here? :p

It looks nice, they've respected the design of the original which I appreciate.

It always bothered me in the DS remakes of 4-6 how they kept the "warping" appearance of the walls... surely the DS didn't have the issue where it warped straight/angular shapes like the PS1?

Aeana

It always bothered me in the DS remakes of 4-6 how they kept the "warping" appearance of the walls... surely the DS didn't have the issue where it warped straight/angular shapes like the PS1?

It's something Arte Piazza does intentionally. You can see warped geometry besides the textures, especially in DQ5 PS2.

Top Bottom