• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VII coming to Japanese 3DS' [February 7th, 2013]

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The last time I played all the games was right before 8 came out.

It took me the same amount of play time to beat 1-5 and about a third of 6 as it did for me to clear 7.

Alboreo

7's the only main-series Dragon Quest I haven't played other than 10, so this is great news (assuming it is localized).

P90

So, is DQ VII coming to the 3DS like AC III/CoD coming to the Vita?

j/k. I will hold out (false) hope that DQ VIII comes to the Vita.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
DQ7 has really fast battles, provided you turn up the text speed in battle. I'll be disappointed if they don't keep them as fast in the remake.
Yeah, the lack of that was half the reason I almost fell asleep playing DQIX.

The MMO-iness being the other.

I say this even as someone who likes MMOs and plays more multiplayer games than singleplayer.

Aeana

How does 7 stack up as far as DQ goes? I'm not too familiar with the series.
Dragon Quest is an incredibly consistent series. Unlike Final Fantasy, you'll find that the majority of Dragon Quest fans like all of the games and the things that elevate them up and down in personal rankings tend to be smaller things. DQ7 is not really any different - it's a very good game, although too long for its own good. It's one of my favorites, personally.

Kenai

I disagree slightly on this; the beginning up until the first battle is poorly paced and it takes far too long to unlock class changing. Besides that though? I basically agree.

Also it has enough content for 3 games.

Yea, if class changing had been unlocked sooner and was less punishing for situations like I described in my spoiler I probably wouldn't have had many other issues.

luca1980

Banned
DQ7 has really fast battles, provided you turn up the text speed in battle. I'll be disappointed if they don't keep them as fast in the remake.
Faster than 8 and 9 sure. As fast as remakes my memory fails probably.
Anyway lets hope this remake runs as smooth as the other ds remakes.
Dqvii was the most charming IMHO.

Gambit

someone should have told me that way back when. I had the text speed on medium, if not slower (as I feared my English wasn't good enough).

Kenai

I think that was roughly where I stopped...I got tired of grinding for job levels.

I *think* I was almost to the end.
I remember flying into the big tower endgame thing on the spaceship and promptly having my ass handed to me on a platter by the first random encounter I had. A trio of Zombie? Dragons who resisted/nulled literally everything I threw at them owned me so badly it still stings a bit. I didn't feel like checking to see if there was something I (probably) skipped, I played that game for ages and that encounter just crushed my remaining spirit
:(

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Yeah, the lack of that was half the reason I almost fell asleep playing DQIX.

The MMO-iness being the other.

I say this even as someone who likes MMOs and plays more multiplayer games than singleplayer.

I broke my old DS because I dropped it after falling asleep while playing DQIX.

Takao

Banned
I see I'm not the only one who has fallen asleep playing a Dragon Quest game. I have also fallen asleep playing Blue Dragon.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
That was... kinda unexpected. I mean it's an unexpected that Square Enix announces a title on Jump and together with it the release date so close to the announcement. Things are really changing there, aren't they?

edit. from the first images it appears to use the "Monsters 3d" remake engine... it looks ugly.

Pepboy

Even after the poor sales of the remakes on DS and the passing of DQM 3DS and Slime Morimori 3?

But but but... didn't they do reprints of V at some point? DQJoker did do poorly (surprised they localized 2), but how were sales of IX?

Even after the poor sales of the remakes on DS and the passing of DQM 3DS and Slime Morimori 3?

I didn't think the remakes sold too bad and its too soon to rule out monsters, rocket slime however never stood much chance it just looks like a ds game (wasn't it ported up last minute before release?)

CronoShot

I remember renting DQVII a long long time ago. 11 year old me thought it was garbage. I played it for like an hour and had no idea what to do.

I'll give it another try if it gets localized. Although DQVI and Joker 2 bombed IIRC, so I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they didn't localize it.

The last time I played all the games was right before 8 came out.

It took me the same amount of play time to beat 1-5 and about a third of 6 as it did for me to clear 7

VanDerCry_zps1e64e0f9.gif

damnit this game is THAT long?

is it good/worth it at least then?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So does that make the XX million Nintendo announcement 7.77m? :lol

Going by Famitsu...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week | Last Week | Last Year | YTD | Last YTD | LTD |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS # | 60.033 | 78.401 | 75.386 | 3.578.548 | 2.158.416 | 7.714.287 |
| PS3 | 22.306 | 28.010 | 23.419 | 990.611 | 1.107.384 | 8.407.759 |
| PSP # | 15.179 | 15.107 | 21.707 | 721.994 | 1.567.070 | 18.959.102 |
| PSV | 7.031 | 7.028 | | 566.530 | | 969.324 |
| WII | 3.596 | 4.238 | 12.516 | 427.182 | 642.753 | 12.594.925 |
| 360 | 1.937 | 5.151 | 1.459 | 53.969 | 95.715 | 1.574.707 |
| PS2 | 339 | 286 | 689 | 20.783 | 51.228 | 21.975.074 |
| NDS # | 168 | 159 | 1.818 | 26.099 | 690.328 | 32.861.601 |
| ALL | 110.589 | 138.380 | 136.994 | 6.385.716 | 6.312.894 | 105.056.779 |
| DSi | 168 | 159 | 1.818 | 26.099 | 663.449 | 8.271.297 |
| PSP | 15.179 | 15.107 | 21.707 | 721.994 | 1.546.947 | 18.798.527 |

...Yes, it seems 3DS did around 60k and so, 7.77 millions. Here we go :lol

Pyrrhus

I'm torn. On the one hand, this looks beautiful. On the other, even if they do localize it (not by any means guaranteed), they'll obliterate the slice of life charm with another trying-way-too-hard localization full of joke names, shitty cartoon accents, and wall-to-wall puns at inappropriate times.

Aeana

I didn't think the remakes sold too bad and its too soon to rule out monsters, rocket slime however never stood much chance it just looks like a ds game (wasn't it ported up last minute before release?)

They did. 4 and 5 sold so poorly that it caused SE to bail out on DQ in western markets. 6 would not have come had Nintendo not picked it up. And then 6 didn't do very well at all, either.

9 did very well, but that isn't something to look at if you want to see the chances of another remake coming out, honestly.

http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a525/kurillin5/VanDerCry_zps1e64e0f9.gif[IMG]

damnit this game is THAT long?

is it good/worth it at least then?[/QUOTE]

The game is fairly long, but I think what Man God said is misleading, since DQ1-5 are all fairly short games. Each can be beaten in less than 20 hours apiece.
Honestly, anybody who is willing to play a game like Persona 3 or 4 should have no problems with DQ7.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Why wouldn't they localize this? They could even go the lazy route and tweak the original localization with this one if they didn't want to spend much on it.

Kenai

It stands a good chance I think considering it is the 3DS and not DS, still pretty early in the 3DS life and they might be more ambitious.

I don't think your pessimism is totally unwarranted, unfortunately.

Aeana

Why wouldn't they localize this? They could even go the lazy route and tweak the original localization with this one if they didn't want to spend much on it.

They're going to be adding lots of stuff in the remake, so using the original translation would be difficult (and dumb, since it isn't very good at all).

I believe Shane "DraQue" Bettenhausen once claimed "...you literally can't beat this game in under 100 hours".

I'm paraphrasing, but I remember raising an eyebrow when he said that on some podcast or another.

It takes me about 60.

They did. 4 and 5 sold so poorly that it caused SE to bail out on DQ in western markets. 6 would not have come had Nintendo not picked it up. And then 6 didn't do very well at all, either.

9 did very well, but that isn't something to look at if you want to see the chances of another remake coming out, honestly.

The game is fairly long, but I think what Man God said is misleading, since DQ1-5 are all fairly short games. Each can be beaten in less than 20 hours apiece.
Honestly, anybody who is willing to play a game like Persona 3 or 4 should have no problems with DQ7.

I remember seeing 6 in the UK charts, which for a ds RPG was quite good

Top Bottom