• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII 3DS - review thread

Fuchs

Thought I'd go and look for a copy at the nearest retailer since there're some copies of VIII in the wild and surprisingly there's was one left...aaaand I immediately bought it.
This is going to be my first time ever playing a DQ game, so I'm cautiously excited.

Very likely. A much more straightforward adventure than the other titles you mention with a more personable cast of characters that feel entwined in the narrative comparatively to a group of saviors doing good deeds for random villages for the sake of it. Big cohesive world you journey through with much improved pacing as well. It's largely one of the best entries in the entire run.

Dragon Quest IX turned me off with the grind to get the character abilities I wanted. Everything felt really generic. The only JRPGs I've been able to get into lately are Persona games. That said, I preordered DQVIII and have been wanting to play it since the PS2 days.

Dakhil

So, a YouTuber by the name of BeardBear, has already uploaded a walkthrough of Dragon Quest VIII on YouTube.

So far, he/she has posted 5 parts to his/her Dragon Quest VIII walkthrough, which can be accessed via the links below. But before I do so, let me give you a warning.

Beware that the walkthrough has spoilers, so watch at your own risk! You have been warned!

Here's Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, and Part 5.

I love this game but it looks so damn bad on the 3ds :'(

I miss the cel shading but it's pretty nice really, at least as far as 3DS games go.

I'm just really happy the voice acting is still in! I'm about 4 hours in and loving it, the removal of random encounters actually feels like a huge improvement.

Buying day one... Not sure when I'll be able to play it though. barely cracked the surface of VII + picking up SMT IV: Apocalypse soon too.

Moon pie? What a time to be alive...

Dakhil

Any word on whether or not you can reallocate skill points or are you stuck with your choices?

You're stuck with your choices.

But the great news is unlike the PlayStation 2 version, in the Nintendo 3DS version, you can choose to not use up your Skill Points when you level up, but instead, save up your Skill Points!

Edit: This is just in. Pocket Gamer gave Dragon Quest VIII a score of 8/10.

You're stuck with your choices.

But the great news is unlike the PlayStation 2 version, in the Nintendo 3DS version, you can choose to not use up your Skill Points when you level up, but instead, save up your Skill Points!

Yup, the Misc menu has an Allocate Skill Points option, I've been saving mine up (after giving Yangus Heal and Nose for Treasure anyway).

Arkeband

Banned
Yup, the Misc menu has an Allocate Skill Points option, I've been saving mine up (after giving Yangus Heal and Nose for Treasure anyway).

I would just stress to everyone to put some points in Axe for Yangus or Spear for Hero so you can actually kill MKS, otherwise grinding in the endgame is a trial and a tribulation.

Top Bottom