• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII announced for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunky

Ricky Grover confirmed that already.
Never looked him up before, but Ricky Grover is one interesting bloke:
Wikipedia said:
Rickie Joseph Grover[1][2] (born 24 December 1961[3]) is an English actor and comedian. His stepfather was an armed robber and his mother a hairdresser.[4] He first cousin is Jimmy Doherty. Grover became a ladies' hairdresser and a champion boxer,[4] with the nickname Ricky 'Goodnight' Grover due to his big punching power. He then become a stand-up comedian, actor and occasional television presenter. He is best known for his role as Andrew Cotton in EastEnders. Grover is dyslexic and could not read or write until his early thirties.

He's almost like real life Yangus!

Aeana

So who here remembers this game?
latest

I recall hearing it wasn't very good, but honestly I don't care, I wanna play it as that cover is among the best that Toriyama's ever made.

It's good. It's one of the better Mystery Dungeon games as far as I'm concerned.

Psxphile

So who here remembers this game?
latest

Certainly not me!

It'd be a treat if they could incorporate some stuff from this spin-off into DQVIIIr... maybe not the whole game (but if they could, having it as a side-mode would be rad) but using it as a basis for exploring Yangus and Red's past, seeing as she's now going to be a party member.

Arkeband

Banned
I think the reason DQMJ2 tanked in the US is because DQMJ1 was kind of garbage. They really went for style over substance compared to how ridiculously intricate DQM1+2 was.

I remember seeing DQMJ2 in stores and thought about how much fun I wasn't having with DQMJ1 and didn't buy it, and I'm a hardcore DQ fan.

I played more DQM1+2 as a kid than I did all versions of Pokémon put together.

Probably does not help that for some, Joker 2 Professional exists, and we didn't get that version.

Or at least that's why I never bought it.

Psxphile

I think the reason DQMJ2 tanked in the US is because DQMJ1 was kind of garbage. They really went for style over substance compared to how ridiculously intricate DQM1+2 was.

I remember seeing DQMJ2 in stores and thought about how much fun I wasn't having with DQMJ1 and didn't buy it, and I'm a hardcore DQ fan.

Probably does not help that for some, Joker 2 Professional exists, and we didn't get that version.

Or at least that's why I never bought it.

Square-Enix fucked up big time making known the existence of Professional before the localized DQM:J2 came out: messageboards were full of people despairing between getting "a gimped version" or waiting to see if Professional would be brought over. That must have cost them a few sales.

They were much smarter about this with the Kingdom Heats Final Mixes.

Moodkip

I can't speak for DQMJ1, but 2 is excellent. I honestly think it's better than DQ9.

Hugstable

Banned
Square-Enix fucked up big time making known the existence of Professional before the localized DQM:J2 came out: messageboards were full of people despairing between getting "a gimped version" or waiting to see if Professional would be brought over. That must have cost them a few sales.

They were much smarter about this with the Kingdom Heats Final Mixes.

What was different in Professional? If it's just a monsters than it ain't all that big to me.

AgeEighty

Hopefully if they have the cast together they will record new ones for the new content in this game for a western release. Kill two birds with one stone and give us our localization. Would be nice.

They'd have to get all the other voice actors in for that, not just those two. But yes, it would be nice. Assuming, of course, that any of the new content features voice acted dialogue (it may well not).

Eusis

Hopefully if they have the cast together they will record new ones for the new content in this game for a western release. Kill two birds with one stone and give us our localization. Would be nice.
Ditto.

And I'm (cautiously) optimistic here! SE seems to be loosening up again about localizing games, and at any rate this will probably require a lot less effort unless they feel compelled to pull FFIV PS1 -> GBA -> DS -> madness. And they probably won't (not unless their pun-itis is terminal) because FFIV was an early gen SNES title on a cart that was like a megabyte while DQVIII was a late gen PS2 title on a DVD, the raw text dump probably dwarves FFIV in it's original entirety.

Obviously what I'd REALLY like is both DQVII and VIII, and VII leading up to VIII could be smart, but I'll take what I can get.

What was different in Professional? If it's just a monsters than it ain't all that big to me.

More monsters. That's not such a big deal, there were a ton of monsters in Joker 2 anyway.

Seems like there are new maps as well, which would probably be nice since there aren't that many in Joker 2.

Mostly it was Square Enix attempting a "G" version of their game, same as Capcom does with Monster Hunter.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Really hope it's better than the iOS port. That thing ran like garbage.

norm9

Meh. I already have DQVIII on ps2 and purchased the Android version already. Don't need another version of it. How about DQVII or a localization announcement of DQX.

Scrawnton

Meh. I already have DQVIII on ps2 and purchased the Android version already. Don't need another version of it. How about DQVII or a localization announcement of DQX.

Dragon quest 10 will never happen and that's why most of us here don't ask for it. DQ7 is much more reasonable and doable
But square refuses.

I would love to see this come west but, boy, the crappy release on iOS has me wondering if i should just try to finally finish my PS2 version one day instead. The orchestral soundtrack and voicework really added to that experience.

of course, given that we're still waiting for DQVIIr to come over i might as well pretend this announcement never happened : /

AgeEighty

I would love to see this come west but, boy, the crappy release on iOS has me wondering if i should just try to finally finish my PS2 version one day instead. The orchestral soundtrack and voicework really added to that experience.

of course, given that we're still waiting for DQVIIr to come over i might as well pretend this announcement never happened : /

Again: DQVII requires a new script localization. VIII does not. Not saying it's by any means a shoo-in, but it's not the same situation.

And yes, if you still have the PS2 version, play it there.

Arkeband

Banned
I can't speak for DQMJ1, but 2 is excellent. I honestly think it's better than DQ9.

That can't be hard, IX was a soulless experiment.

It got a few chuckles out of me for the gratuitous pop culture references. The only things I really remember from that game was an unexpected (yet badass) anime cutscene, Swinedimples (Hogwarts), and the main bad guy turning into "Illidan" and yelling "You are not prepared!".

Sigh. If DQXI has another customizable hero or party I'm just opting out. It sucks all the magic out of the storytelling. I'll always remember Torneko, Ragnar, or Keifer. I don't even remember what I named my little chibi people, or what they looked like.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Expected ta wake up to fanart of max tension Morrie. No such luck! You're slacking japan!

What kind of weapons should we be expecting Red & Morrie to use?

Arkeband

Banned
Expected ta wake up to fanart of max tension Morrie. No such luck! You're slacking japan!

What kind of weapons should we be expecting Red & Morrie to use?

Red would probably use swords, fist, scythe, knife...
Morrie would use fists, spear, whip... and the third would be a toss-up between maybe staves and bows. He was kind of a joke character, so honestly anything he uses is going to look goofy.

Woah. Actually thought this said DQ7 coming to 3DS but this is still big news. DQ8 is one of my fave RPGs so I will definately be getting this.

Nice surprise of an enhanced port! There's what...just the likes of Yangus and Caravan Hearts left that could perhaps yet still stand to gain some newfound love somehow or another?

Psxphile

Red would probably use swords, fist, scythe, knife...
Morrie would use fists, spear, whip... and the third would be a toss-up between maybe staves and bows. He was kind of a joke character, so honestly anything he uses is going to look goofy.

vDw48c2.jpg

Red's primary might be Flails? But there are only two in the game, and they're late-game weapons that only Yangus can use. I can see them adding more to facilitate Red, and maybe introduce a new skill tree for Flail. I suppose she could also use Knives/Swords (Yangus spinoff's artwork depicts her young self with a knife) and, I suppose, whips?

Morrie, to me, seems like he could be a specialized character that only uses Fisticuffs. Maybe they could make him into something like a Monster Master or Tamer?

Arkeband

Banned
vDw48c2.jpg

Red's primary might be Flails? But there are only two in the game, and they're late-game weapons that only Yangus can use. I can see them adding more to facilitate Red, and maybe introduce a new skill tree for Flail. I suppose she could also use Knives/Swords (Yangus spinoff's artwork depicts her young self with a knife) and, I suppose, whips?

Morrie, to me, seems like he could be a specialized character that only uses Fisticuffs. Maybe they could make him into something like a Monster Master or Tamer?

I had completely forgotten about flails.

The issue with him specializing in fisticuffs is that skill tree is supposed to be kind of the masochist mode where it only really ever pays off super late game. If they incentivize that skill tree that kind of removes the novelty of forgoing weapons entirely, but who knows.

I want Dragon Quest Monsters 2 3D localized more than I want Dragon Quest VII 3D localized

Psxphile

I had completely forgotten about flails.

The issue with him specializing in fisticuffs is that skill tree is supposed to be kind of the masochist mode where it only really ever pays off super late game. If they incentivize that skill tree that kind of removes the novelty of forgoing weapons entirely, but who knows.

Well, you did say he's kind of a joke character.

Hugstable

Banned
Sigh. If DQXI has another customizable hero or party I'm just opting out. It sucks all the magic out of the storytelling. I'll always remember Torneko, Ragnar, or Keifer. I don't even remember what I named my little chibi people, or what they looked like.

I'm playing through it right now and I like it so far, after so many games where they've had defined characters, it feels cool that they decided to go back and pay homage to Dragon Quest 3 in a way. DQ3 was my first ever game in the series (GBC) so I probably look back on it really fondly, but the vocation and class system type games are usually always my favorites. Probably part of the reason Final Fantasy 5 is one of my favorite from that series also

norm9

Dragon quest 10 will never happen and that's why most of us here don't ask for it. DQ7 is much more reasonable and doable
But square refuses.

I wanna play an official DQVII. I know emulators are always an option, but would feel better about a legit release.

RPGamer92

Banned
You guys. Nintendo and Square's conferences are at the same time. That can only mean one thing: DQ VII and VIII 3DS localizations confirmed!!11

Mr. RPG

You guys. Nintendo and Square's conferences are at the same time. That can only mean one thing: DQ VII and VIII 3DS localizations confirmed!!11

The only thing we are going to get is maybe a Dragon Quest Heroes release date and even that is me being optimistic.

Zetta

well this may be what makes me buy a 3ds. I had always hoped though that we would have gotten it on a ps console.

I was a little skeptical about this game running on 3DS, but Tales of the Abyss looked great, so I guess this game should be fine, too.

I kinda feel like they should have put this on New 3DS only. DQ8 would certainly sell more N3DSs than Xenoblade, for sure.

Vamphuntr

I was a little skeptical about this game running on 3DS, but Tales of the Abyss looked great, so I guess this game should be fine, too.

I kinda feel like they should have put this on New 3DS only. DQ8 would certainly sell more N3DSs than Xenoblade, for sure.

One thing to note is that Tales of the Abyss ran at half the framerate of the original during battles.

Mr. RPG

Has it been mentioned that the release date for the game is August 27 in Japan?

Edit: Oh nevermind it has. :p Just no one seems to have discussed it.

Hopefully it has a good 3D effect to benefit from the platform. Xenoblade's was disappointing.

Perhaps having Yangus Underpants Dance and Jessica's Puff Puff abilities in 3D. :p

I recently got this cute DQ Rocket Slime key chain off eBay even though I don't own the game, I just had to have it. I shall stare at it fondly and maybe it will make me feel more positive about DQ 8's chances:

FAF7376C-BA11-4ED1-A130-92B883F67749-1073-000001B7E1FA953B_zpsaysewe6x.jpg

Kenai

^ Rocket Slime was a great game but I distinctly remember that being the only game I played on the DS that gave me super sore thumbs. Was worth it though.

Not expecting a localization after 7r, but I can hope I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom