• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest VIII announced for 3DS

Status
Not open for further replies.
so they didn't chibify the game? Interesting, it retains the PS2 style.

DQ 7 and DQM 1/2 remakes were not chibify either, it was close to Toryama original artworks for the games (which were more cartoony than DQ8, Toryama being in a "cute" phase in the late 90's)

Scrawnton

DQ 7 and DQM 1/2 remakes were not chibify either, it was close to Toryama original artworks for the games (which were more cartoony than DQ8, Toryama being in a "cute" phase in the late 90's)
I don't think they would ever chibi-fy a dragon quest game. It's pretty much a sin in that series.

Cool I guess, but I what I really want is localized DQ7 since I barely played it on PSX. If they localized this new version of DQ8 I doubt I would buy it simply because I played the shit out of it on PS2 and it's not really a game I want to replay.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I guess I'll answer both of these at the same time. People earlier in the thread were claiming the 3DS would not be able to run the game looking the way the PS2 version was and they were worried the graphics would be gutted. Even though the screens are just scans, it's obvious they kept in tact the same graphics as the original version. Now, whether the game is smooth in the field or not is a different story, but the screens show it's the same game with the same look.

I still don't understand: was people expecting SE to re-do the game with a more "chibi" or "deformed" visual approach?

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I guess I'll answer both of these at the same time. People earlier in the thread were claiming the 3DS would not be able to run the game looking the way the PS2 version was and they were worried the graphics would be gutted. Even though the screens are just scans, it's obvious they kept in tact the same graphics as the original version. Now, whether the game is smooth in the field or not is a different story, but the screens show it's the same game with the same look.

I just want to clarify that I myself are not doubting the 3DS hardware. I was doubting the developer (SE), especially after the trend of so many 3rd party 3ds games that got somewhat chibified for the 3DS (Atelier, Miku, FF Explorers, Persona Q, Naruto, One Piece Super Grand Battle, BlazBlue: Clone Phantasma, Assassination Classroom etc)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Because 3rd parties are always doing it on Nintendo’s platforms:
PersonaQ
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2
Atelier Rorona
Etc.
Most of these games are spin-offs where they go for a another style to differ from the main series other systems. This is a DQ main title.

Ooh, fully voiced for Japan. Which pretty much confirms this shipping on a 4GB game card I guess, and if it makes it here, the English voice track.

Yeah, hopefully it's built on solid tech. 3DS is very capable provided devs have good tech. Just look at what Capcom have done with M.T. Framework Mobile and E.X. Troopers, Monster Hunter 4U and so on. Shin Megami Tensei IV also looked great, even if it suffered a bit with muted textures and reduced colour depth. Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask 3D look great too (Majora's Mask especially, as its game world isn't as sparse as Ocarina's) with nice lighting, big maps and sharp textures. Luigi's Mansion 2 forgoes large environments in favour of terrific animation and moody dynamic lighting.

I think 3DS games from studios without a solid technical foundation (like Gust) change peoples' expectations a little. If Gust had better underlying mobile tech, Atelier Rorona 3DS wouldn't be the chug fest it is now, though ideally that game would have been made in 2D, with sprites, and complete with slick menus that make it as fast to play as Rune Factory 4. Of course, expecting Gust to invest a lot of money on a simple port is madness, but it's a shame regardless. Since the KT acquisition it speaks volumes how much better Gust's games are now from a technical perspective, given they've moved to using Koei Tecmo's engine, which scales easily across PS Vita, PS3 and PS4.

The 3DS should be fine with DQ8, only thing that has me worried is the relatively large overworld.

A lot of JRPGs for 3DS in the last year or so had chibi/almost chibi characters designs. It created a myth that 3DS can't handle normal character models, even tho there are games that disprove it.

This so much.

Scrawnton

I still don't understand: was people expecting SE to re-do the game with a more "chibi" or "deformed" visual approach?
I don't know what people were expecting. but some of the tones were insinuating it would be a completely down port compared to the ps2 version.

Laconic

Banned
DQ8 wasn't a DVD9 game. It's < 4GB, which shouldn't be a problem for a 3DS cartridge.

Looks fairly good. I just remembered how much I didn't like the mostly empty world with a high encounter rate, but switching to non-random encounters should make looking around a lot more tolerable. Hopefully they fill in some new chests and goodies to incentivize exploration, maybe random sidequests or something.

I think that no random encounters, even the option for it, rather kills the excitement of exploring the world looking for treasure. There needs to be that constant potential for danger. Risk versus reward is a thing.

ONe of my favorite RPGs of all time. To bad it will never come west. I think it honestly depends on how Dragon Quest Heroes does in the states. IF that games does well on PS4, then I think we will start getting more ports.

Scrawnton

Regarding the localization, I'm starting to think along these terms: with their openness with dqvii and saying it probably isn't happening after all of us getting our hopes up, I'd like to think square would've told us up front this time if it was Japan only. Most likely, Nintendo is probably going to publish and advertise for this in the west and that's why square hadn't said anything regarding a NA version of this game.

Even if square doesn't want to publish it, I doubt Nintendo would ignore this game considering it's very very high reputation in America, especially considering a translation is already done.

Heck, I bet DQ8 on 3ds would sell more in America than xenoblade 3d would.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I don't know what people were expecting. but some of the tones were insinuating it would be a completely down port compared to the ps2 version.

but that could STILL be.
I mean, we should clarify:

- People assume a downport
- People judge that it's not a downport by a blurried scan

that would make sense just if the downport would correspond to a "chibification" of the style, because the only thing that we could say from the scan is that they ketp the same style.

But:

- Chibification would have probably meant a complete rework, not a downport. probably, looking a chibified versions would have allowed us to assume a pretty solid effort from SE and not just a port
- The scan shows just the same style, it's absolutely impossible to judge the possible downgrade in terms of polycount, texture and framerate

Scrawnton

but that could STILL be.
I mean, we should clarify:

- People assume a downport
- People judge that it's not a downport by a blurried scan

that would make sense just if the downport would correspond to a "chibification" of the style, because the only thing that we could say from the scan is that they ketp the same style.

But:

- Chibification would have probably meant a complete rework, not a downport. probably, looking a chibified versions would have allowed us to assume a pretty solid effort from SE and not just a port
- The scan shows just the same style, it's absolutely impossible to judge the possible downgrade in terms of polycount, texture and framerate

I know what you're saying from a technical standpoint, but from the picture of the overworld, it's obvious none of the art, geometry, or general detail was cut. Will it be one to one as good as a ps2 game when it comes to detail? Maybe not. But as a 3DS game, the screens point to it being extremely similar to the ps2 game, which was already pretty low res on wide screen tvs. This game is not going to be as pretty as the modded pc version, but there will be very little differences between it and the ps2 versions when it comes to the look. The frame rate will be lower, but I doubt it's as bad as the iOS port, but I can't be sure.

Xenoblade looks like a mess on 3ds because it had a much bigger scale, draw distance, and more varied textures in the environment. Dragon quest has a lot of repeating assets and a more simple geometry for its overworld. There's something simplistically beautiful about DQVIII and it should easily look better than xenoblade 3d.

Laconic

Banned
As much as I LOVE this game, and I do love it - it was my game of the PS2 generation - I do think it a rather sad telling of the state of the industry, that it, and so many other remasters, are such an overwhelmingly huge portion of the hype that this gen evokes in me.

It isn't just me.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well SNES was the most dark time I guess since nothing made it over. PS1/PS2 were such a mixed bag cause we got the new mainline games but almost nothing else, and literally nothing on GBA; I guess the GBC games didn't do so hot? DS was definitely the best since nearly everything made it over. 3DS is such a disappointment but the market in the west for console/handheld games really really sucks right now (there's very little space for mid-range games, non-AAA(AAAAA) or indie) so I guess I don't blame them as much as other people do.
Yeah, it doesnt seem to be much brighter times in the lasts years. iOS and Android versions seems to have been released in the west, so that track record seems pretty good at least.

sörine;163808143 said:
Looking at mainline installments, including remakes and ports:

NES: 4 out of 4 releases
MSX: 0 out of 2 releases

SNES: 0 out of 4 releases

PS1: 1 out of 2 releases
GBC: 2 out of 2 releases

PS2: 1 out of 2 releases

NDS: 4 out of 4 releases
Wii: 0 out of 2 releases

3DS: 0 out of 3 releases
Wii U: 0 out of 1 release
PC: 0 out of 1 release
iOS: 6 out of 7 releases
Android: 6 out of 8 releases
Thanks for the list. iOS and Android have a pretty good track record.

DVD9 >>>>>> 3DS cartridge

amazing port job....
For comparison, the PS2 version is about 3.9GB, and the iOS and Android version are about 1.4GB.

I think camera c-stick is a given for n3DS. I think square is only making this because the iPhone port was too much of a compromise when it came to gameplay and atmosphere. I have a gut feeling this will be the definitive version of this game. I can see Nintendo of America getting behind this as a major n3DS game in America.

If it's going to use c-stick for camera I hope they include shoulder buttons for camera as an option. Even if I had a N3DS I'd rather do that, it worked really well in DQ7 3DS (and Joker 2!).

I think that no random encounters, even the option for it, rather kills the excitement of exploring the world looking for treasure. There needs to be that constant potential for danger. Risk versus reward is a thing.

I really don't agree. Even in a densely packed world I'd rather not risk death to explore. That's beside the point cause in the world in Dragon Quest VIII it's almost empty, there's not a lot to see in its "open world," it's just pretty and I like exploring. But there being encounters every 3 seconds made exploring a royal pain and not worth bothering. Even when you were in an area with weak monsters relative to your strength it sucked to wander cause it was just annoying.

At least in DQ9 and DQ73DS (the worlds aren't as big there) you can avoid monsters when you want to look around.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I know what you're saying from a technical standpoint, but from the picture of the overworld, it's obvious none of the art, geometry, or general detail was cut. Will it be one to one as good as a ps2 game when it comes to detail? Maybe not. But as a 3DS game, the screens point to it being extremely similar to the ps2 game, which was already pretty low res on wide screen tvs. This game is not going to be as pretty as the modded pc version, but there will be very little differences between it and the ps2 versions when it comes to the look. The frame rate will be lower, but I doubt it's as bad as the iOS port, but I can't be sure.

just to be clear, I was stunned by (other's not yours) reactions:
- announced: OMG it will suck
- blurried scan: OMG it's identical to the PS2 version

I'd say that on paper it could be very similar to the PS2 version, but the scan doesn't provide me any actual help in checking this :p

Scrawnton

just to be clear, I was stunned by (other's not yours) reactions:
- announced: OMG it will suck
- blurried scan: OMG it's identical to the PS2 version

I'd say that on paper it could be very similar to the PS2 version, but the scan doesn't provide me any actual help in checking this :p
I think with the cell shaded graphics, it's simple overworld (textures and geometry compared to xenoblade), and its overall design will translate much better to 3ds than other games. I think if they port it wisely, it can be a very beautiful 3DS game.

I think of ocarina of time on 3ds but with less realistic textures and more flat colors for the world and I can see this game being a great fit for 3ds.

Jigorath

Banned
Meanwhile, at the Square Enix localization offices.

family-guy-good-good-evil-cockroach.gif

Scrawnton

Meanwhile, at the Square Enix localization offices.

family-guy-good-good-evil-cockroach.gif

Lol. This will be my breaking point for square enix. If they keep this localization from us, I will buy every one of there games used from here on out. I'm very passionate about this series and this game in particular. It's very meaningful for me for certain reasons.

They ruined FFIV that way.

They also stripped us from ever playing FF3 in a decent way in America.

The style is such a turn off for me on those remakes. It removes a lot of the epicness feeling.

........ the original FFIV and FF3 sprites were in chibi art style

True Fire

Because 3rd parties are always doing it on Nintendo’s platforms:
PersonaQ
Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai 2
Atelier Rorona
Etc.

Those are bad examples. The only chibified 3DS remake was Atelier Rorona. The other games were stylistic choices, or in the case of Persona Q, an evolution of the Etrian Odyssey artstyle.

They ruined FFIV that way.

They also stripped us from ever playing FF3 in a decent way in America.

The style is such a turn off for me on those remakes. It removes a lot of the epicness feeling.

Sprites are chibi. I'm not sure how you played the original games if they didn't have the "epicness" you seem to require in order to enjoy a game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
FF IV DS actually has less "chibi" models than the original version of the game. Much closer to the official character art.

So after months of sitting on it, I've finally started Dragon Quest VII on 3DS. The hype got to me. Those blurry scans made me think the visuals in DQVIII should be pretty solid. Is it true that the 3DS is slightly more powerful than the PS2 in some areas?

8gosiHOl.jpg

weevles

So after months of sitting on it, I've finally started Dragon Quest VII on 3DS. The hype got to me. Those blurry scans made me think the visuals in DQVIII should be pretty solid. Is it true that the 3DS is slightly more powerful than the PS2 in some areas?

8gosiHOl.jpg

IIRC they are comparable in overall capability.

I still have to finish Starry Skies and DQM Joker.... :/

Scrawnton

8gosiHOl.jpg

I will be importing if neither of these games come to America. I'll buy a Japanese 3ds just for them.

My little brother is in Japan, so I'll get him to buy them second hand as well.

duckroll

FF IV DS actually has less "chibi" models than the original version of the game. Much closer to the official character art.

I don't think the comparison should be with the "original" version though. 2D and 3D is pretty different. The comparison for FF3 and FF4 on DS should be with other 3D FF games S-E was releasing on other platforms at that time. So even if we exclude consoles and only look at portables, S-E definitely went for a conscious choice of making it different from stuff like Crisis Core and Dissidia.

Mcdohl

........ the original FFIV and FF3 sprites were in chibi art style

Sprites are chibi. I'm not sure how you played the original games if they didn't have the "epicness" you seem to require in order to enjoy a game.

I did not imagine them as chibi I guess.

I don't think they look 'cute' or 'child looking'.
4th%20-%20FFIV-620x.jpg

On DS they all seem so baby-faced to me :/
Sealed_Cave_FFIV_DS_Battle.PNG

PSP is also right on, and imo more true to what I imagined the SNES version to be.
FFIV_PSP_Mug.png

8gosiHOl.jpg

Man, the game and that N3DS with its Super Fami style buttons look beautiful together, what I wouldn't give to have both in the West.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ahhh FML.
I should probably learn Japanese. How hard can it be to learn a 4th language, when one of the ones I do know is already batshit crazy?

Ahhh FML.
I should probably learn Japanese. How hard can it be to learn a 4th language, when one of the ones I do know is already batshit crazy?

If you have the patience to learn a language already and know the process you would use it shouldn't be that hard. With even just basic skill (plus a walkthrough) you can get through a Dragon Quest game; you won't get much of the story this way but... well I certainly don't mind.

Ooh, fully voiced for Japan. Which pretty much confirms this shipping on a 4GB game card I guess, and if it makes it here, the English voice track.

Yeah, hopefully it's built on solid tech. 3DS is very capable provided devs have good tech. Just look at what Capcom have done with M.T. Framework Mobile and E.X. Troopers, Monster Hunter 4U and so on. Shin Megami Tensei IV also looked great, even if it suffered a bit with muted textures and reduced colour depth. Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask 3D look great too (Majora's Mask especially, as its game world isn't as sparse as Ocarina's) with nice lighting, big maps and sharp textures. Luigi's Mansion 2 forgoes large environments in favour of terrific animation and moody dynamic lighting.

I think 3DS games from studios without a solid technical foundation (like Gust) change peoples' expectations a little. If Gust had better underlying mobile tech, Atelier Rorona 3DS wouldn't be the chug fest it is now, though ideally that game would have been made in 2D, with sprites, and complete with slick menus that make it as fast to play as Rune Factory 4. Of course, expecting Gust to invest a lot of money on a simple port is madness, but it's a shame regardless. Since the KT acquisition it speaks volumes how much better Gust's games are now from a technical perspective, given they've moved to using Koei Tecmo's engine, which scales easily across PS Vita, PS3 and PS4.

The 3DS should be fine with DQ8, only thing that has me worried is the relatively large overworld.

This so much.

3DS can produce some fine graphics, but come on. SMT IV is one of the most ugly games I have ever played...

We were talking about 3DS games. In the remake, 3D characters stick to their original artworks.

Oh, so the game was unchibified? Hmm, guess only time will tell if I like that or not.

Anyway, I apologize, I didn't know. I thought they used the same sprites. It's just the often people don't realize RPG sprites are in chibi form (you can see lots of that in this thread).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom