• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X is not meeting expectations

"hey let's make a MMORPG on the console with the worst online possible, this will be surely an hit"

Are we talking about the PS2?

The problem with the release on Wii is not the online infrastructure, it's the fact the system was dead when DQX came out on it.

It needed to come out 2 years before it did. God knows why it took so long to come out.

Quazar

Quite simple Square, FF14 was a rushed piece of shit, and you released this one on wrong platform. Should of been PS3/PC/360. SE is fucking retarded this gen. Glad people voted with their money on 14, but I do hope they take a serious stab at MMO's again, cause this has just been a disaster.

Effect

An MMO is only as strong as its community , so releasing it on one platform was dumb.

A MMO is only really going to be successful on one platform. Even if it is on two then the two communities aren't going to ever meet. As shown by Final Fantasy XI on the PS2 and PC and even the 360. The PC version in the end became the primary and that is where the community was. Same is true of DC Universe Online. Same will be true of Final Fantasy XIV. Cross platform play isn't going to happen. People need to stop even thinking in that direction.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
say bye bye to western release. Users musta dropped like a rock

now, if the WiiU version somehow manages to reignite some of that initial fire, then there'll be a blink of hope for localization. But I seriously doubt it, since game's not exactly a killer app

vocab

Quite simple Square, FF14 was a rushed piece of shit, and you released this one on wrong platform. Should of been PS3/PC/360. SE is fucking retarded this gen. Glad people voted with their money on 14, but I do hope they take a serious stab at MMO's again, cause this has just been a disaster.

After ff14 relaunch bombas I really dont think they will make another mmo again.

Ranger X

Not sure about that. I didn't put nearly as much time into X as other GAF peeps did, but it certainly felt and played like a Dragon Quest game, except online.

The fate of Squaresoft wasn't based on this game anyways. They are dropping slowly since YEARS. Its just a consequence of accumulated negativity in their relation with the fanbase. Dragon Quest 10 is probably in their best games published lately.

fernoca

The game sold 600k and has 400k subscribers

FF XI was the most succesful FF game ever with 600k subscribers.

if you translate this
同社は決算発表で昨年8月サービスを開始したオンラインRPGゲーム「ドラゴンクエストX 目覚めし五つの種族オンライン」の運営は、「堅調に進捗している」とコメントしているが、オンラインシステムの運営負担がのしかかるうえ、期待されたほどの大ヒ ットにはつながっていない。

the comment SE made was
「堅調に進捗している」

It means the game is progressing steadily.

the not meeting expectation part is a commentary from MSN.
Weird..so any official translation? :p
Seems one translation puts the "not meeting expectations" as part of what Square-Enix said, but the other put that as an assumption from the writer.
Even the crappy-Google translation puts the steady sales in quotes, but not the rest. :p

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't think FF XI should count since it was on PC as well and that attributed to most of its success. Heck, it was released in NA on PC before PS2.

Yep. And the real money came from the western markets.

Most players in Japan came from the PS2 version.

FF XI LTD for the PS2 sku in Japan are in the region of 160k.

Dragon Quest X is well past 600k in Japan.

Aeana

Weird..so any official translation? :p
Seems one translation puts the "not meeting expectations" as part of what Square-Enix said, but the other put that as an assumtpion from the writer.
Even the crappy-Google translation puts the steady sales in quotes, but not the rest. :p

I don't know where people are getting the idea that it's an assumption of the writer. The document being referenced is available in Japanese and English. The quoted part is directly from the Japanese document, the rest is paraphrased.

The game looks like it was made without any love or passion. Like the Dragon Quest team were told to make an MMO, like it or not.

I doubt it. Yuji Horii has been wanting to make a multiplayer online DQ since the 90s. And in any case, I don't think SE CAN tell him what to do with the series.

Aeana

I doubt it. Yuji Horii has been wanting to make a multiplayer online DQ since the 90s. And in any case, I don't think SE CAN tell him what to do with the series.
They own the IP, so they can do whatever they want with it whether he's on board or not. That said, it's unlikely that they'll ever actually do that because it would damage their relationship. As for DQ10, it's honestly a very well-made game that does feel like DQ, having played it for about a month.

Cipherr

Makes me really wonder how high their expectations were then. Unless they are putting vast amounts of content into the game, I dont know what they were expecting.

I feel lately like SE is scared that Single player games are a dying breed, and that they are more and more trying to establish their large franchises as massive multiplayer or online in some manner for fear of their cashcow single player games dying off.

Eusis

Makes me really wonder how high their expectations were then. Unless they are putting vast amounts of content into the game, I dont know what they were expecting.

I feel lately like SE is scared that Single player games are a dying breed, and that they are more and more trying to establish their large franchises as massive multiplayer or online in some manner for fear of their cashcow single player games dying off.
Sound like Bioware with TOR, but it ended up being not only unfounded but very costly for them. FFXI did alright and I suspect DQX is merely underperforming rather than tanking (I'd have to see if there was a hard subscriber drop off), but FFXIV did crater and TOR did so too, maybe more spectacularly relative to its budget.

They own the IP, so they can do whatever they want with it whether he's on board or not. That said, it's unlikely that they'll ever actually do that because it would damage their relationship. As for DQ10, it's honestly a very well-made game that does feel like DQ, having played it for about a month.

The relationship is pretty strange by traditional standards. Copyright is divided between Horii's Armor Project, Toriyama's Bird Studio, Sugiyama and Square Enix.

A MMO is only really going to be successful on one platform. Even if it is on two then the two communities aren't going to ever meet. As shown by Final Fantasy XI on the PS2 and PC and even the 360. The PC version in the end became the primary and that is where the community was. Same is true of DC Universe Online. Same will be true of Final Fantasy XIV. Cross platform play isn't going to happen. People need to stop even thinking in that direction.

But it does....Why don't you think cross play will happen?

I knew a lot of people that I played with that were playing PS2/360.

fernoca

I don't know where people are getting the idea that it's an assumption of the writer. The document being referenced is available in Japanese and English. The quoted part is directly from the Japanese document, the rest is paraphrased.
That's better. Though I read and read, and the only mention of Dragon Quest X is:
Digital Entertainment
The Digital Entertainment segment plans, develops, distributes and operates digital entertainment content primarily in the form of games. Digital entertainment content is offered to meet customer lifestyles across a variety of usage environments such as consumer game consoles (including handheld game machines), personal computers and
mobile phones (including smartphones).

During the nine-month period ended December 31, 2012, the Digital Entertainment segment as a whole has not recovered the operating loss posted in the six-month period ended September 30, 2012, primarily due to the increasingly difficult condition of the world-wide console game market, under which the Group is struggling to achieve
a fair expected return on its investment.

In the area of content for other platforms such as PCs and smartphones, “SENGOKU IXA,” a browser game, and “FINAL FANTASY BRIGADE,” a social networking game for Mobage, are generating an acceptable profit. In addition, newly released game titles such as “Kaku-San-Sei Million Arthur,” a social networking game released in April, 2012
serving more than 1 million registered users, have been expanding at a satisfactory pace.

Registered users of “FINAL FANTASY ARTNIKS,” a social networking game released in November, 2012 for GREE, exceeded 1 million at the end of December, 2012.

The operation of “DRAGON QUEST X,” a major MMORPG, started in August, 2012, has been showing steady progress.

Net sales and operating losses in the Digital Entertainment segment totaled ¥57,827 million (an increase of 7.7% from the same period of the prior fiscal year) and ¥392 million (operating income of ¥12,451 million in the same period of
the prior fiscal year), respectively.

The rest is about Aumesent Facilities, merchandise, liabilities and assets; so I read quickly through that. :p

Nearly at the end, they even mention:
The Group views this change as an opportunity to capture new profit sources, and is making every effort to establish its profit base through expansion of content and services that conform to emerging customer needs, and launch of full-scale commercial services for major MMO titles.
Which implies that they still have a focus on MMOs in general.

Seems that what didn't met expectations were sales of console games in general, not (just?) Dragon Quest X; alluded in the first quote:
During the nine-month period ended December 31, 2012, the Digital Entertainment segment as a whole has not recovered the operating loss posted in the six-month period ended September 30, 2012, primarily due to the increasingly difficult condition of the world-wide console game market, under which the Group is struggling to achieve a fair expected return on its investment.

Which is why I was wondering about if there was an actual english translation.

I mean, one can get from that part that Dragon Quest X is not meeting expectations, since they attributed the lower numbers to consoles games (and DQX is a console game) but it seems that no game released during the 9-months period (March 31, 2012 - December 31, 2012) met expectations either. Dragon Quest X, Deus Ex, Sleeping Dogs and Hitman, were released on consoles during that timeframe.

There's also the bit about "world-wide console game market", and DQX was the only game of of those that wasn't released worldwide (only in Japan).

But then again, you (and Niro) know better... and I'm usually suck at reading. Or maybe the japanese version has some other details that I missed. XD

I don't know where you get that it has been not meeting expectations, it says:

"The operation of “DRAGON QUEST X,” a major MMORPG, started in August, 2012, has been showing steady progress." There's no further comment on DQX, to be paraphrased.

Is steady progress not meeting expectations? TOf course one could say if it was meeting expectations, they would mention it as a huge hit; but that's totally speculations.

期待され たほどの大ヒ ットにはつながっていない。

and

堅調に進捗している

mean

While they are bullish on its progress, it didn't become the big hit they were expecting.

But being "bullish on its progress" is vague and doesn't say if they're making a lot of money with it now or they just expect to in the future. The official translation says "steady progress" but that is still vague and doesn't give an idea as to the financial condition of the game right now.

That means it didn't become a big hit like they expected.
Thanks, so it's removed from the English translation? [or I am blind!] That's interesting.

Aeana

I don't know where you get that it has been not meeting expectations, it says:

"The operation of “DRAGON QUEST X,” a major MMORPG, started in August, 2012, has been showing steady progress." There's no further comment on DQX, to be paraphrased.

Is steady progress not meeting expectations? TOf course one could say if it was meeting expectations, they would mention it as a huge hit; but that's totally speculations.
It is speculation, but it's reasonably extrapolated from the numbers quoted in the document.
They'll have a fiscal call soon and the summary document will be posted, and we'll get to hear what Wada has to say on the subject then.

It is speculation, but it's reasonably extrapolated from the numbers quoted in the document.
They'll have a fiscal call soon and the summary document will be posted, and we'll get to hear what Wada has to say on the subject then.
The only thing I see that can be extrapolated, is that its sales hasn't been enough to make their digital media segment profitable in total.

But apparently there's further info in the Japanese version of the report?! I don't know.

This had disaster written all over it.
Had it been a single player game, it could be released around the world by now. If they wanted to milk more money out of it, extend it with paid DLC quests or something. Nobody in their right mind wanted DQ to go online.

muu

DQX sold phenomenally well being a MMO; the service just leaves way too much to be desired at this point. Once you beat the 'final' boss you're left to grind all your jobs as many of the passives transfer across classes (you can have a 150HP/60MP/150atk level1 character, for example), and the system lends itself to grinding the same mobs as the most efficient method. There were probably more people than SQEx expected that blindly followed strategy websites (極限攻略 to be specific -- the site's made a name for itself w/ guides on Dragon Quest games over the years) and didn't do any "adventuring" of their own.

Had it been a single player game, it could be released around the world by now. If they wanted to milk more money out of it, extend it with paid DLC quests or something. Nobody in their right mind wanted DQ to go online.

Horii wanted to make a DQ MMO while Sugiyama was still able to make music. It's actually a fantastic game, just that there isn't the lasting power there to keep people playing beyond the first 2, 3 months.

Eusis

DQX sold phenomenally well being a MMO; the service just leaves way too much to be desired at this point. Once you beat the 'final' boss you're left to grind all your jobs as many of the passives transfer across classes (you can have a 150HP/60MP/150atk level1 character, for example), and the system lends itself to grinding the same mobs as the most efficient method. There were probably more people than SQEx expected that blindly followed strategy websites (極限攻略 to be specific -- the site's made a name for itself w/ guides on Dragon Quest games over the years) and didn't do any "adventuring" of their own.
When you have a monthly fee looming I could see why.

Though the fact there's a definite endpoint is why I'll probably actually get this and subscribe if it comes over here, still sounds like a really good DQ that just happens to be an MMO, rather than an MMO that's DQ themed (like Elder Scrolls Online seems to be its franchise, maybe.)
I wonder if maybe just making it a regular online game would've been more practical. You couldn't depend on the monthly fee, but they'd still be making that online adventure to play with your friends. Kinda like what some of us probably imagined Phantasy Star Online would've been before that ended up being more like dragging up an old name to reuse on a sci-fi Diablo-esque game.

Where did this sentence

同社は決算発表で昨年8月サービスを開始したオンラインRPGゲーム「ドラゴンクエストX 目覚めし五つの種族オンライン」の運営は、「堅調に進捗している」とコメントしているが、オンラインシステムの運営負担がのしかかるうえ、期待され たほどの大ヒ ットにはつながっていない

come from in the document? I couldn't find it. Which is probably why it doesn't appear in the English version.

fernoca

and

堅調に進捗している

mean

While they are bullish on its progress, it didn't become the big hit they were expecting.

But being "bullish on its progress" is vague and doesn't say if they're making a lot of money with it now or they just expect to in the future. The official translation says "steady progress" but that is still vague and doesn't give an idea as to the financial condition of the game right now.
But that's from the MSN article/link and not the actual link aeana posted. Unless said MSN article is a follow-up interview, and not only based on the report; which could explain "that mention".

MSN post (underlined what you quoted):
同社は決算発表で昨年8月サービスを開始したオンラインRPGゲーム「ドラゴンクエストX 目覚めし五つの種族オンライン」の運営は、「堅調に進捗している」とコメントしているが、オンラインシステムの運営負担がのしかかるうえ、期待されたほどの大ヒットにはつながっていない。

The japanese PDF seems to say the same as the english one:
RPGゲーム「ドラゴンクエストX 目覚めし五つの種族オンライン」の運営は、堅調に進捗しております。

Badly translated into:
Dragon Quest X Massively Multiplayer which was launched in August last year. Management of online "tribe of one, we are progressing steadily.

Which is similar to the english PDF:
The operation of “DRAGON QUEST X,” a major MMORPG, started in August, 2012, has been showing steady progress.

And the bit in the japanese PDF about sales in general:
当第3四半期連結累計期間は、家庭用ゲーム機向けソフトの市場環境が厳しくなっており、投資に見合った期待
Also mentions console sales in general, not just DQX.

Bad translation again:
First three quarters of the current fiscal year, the market environment of the software for home-use game machine has become severe, expectations on investment

Actual translation:
...primarily due to the increasingly difficult condition of the world-wide console game market, under which the Group is struggling to achieve a fair expected return on its investment.

Only the MSN article mentions "Dragon Quest X not meeting expectations"; but I'm wondering now if it's a follow-up.

But the original informaiton basically implies that Hitman, Deus EX and Sleeping Dogs also underperformed. Bravely Default and Terry's Wonderland too if handhelds are included in their "home console numbers".

Erethian

And we all know how single player DQ titles are known for their rapid and timely localisations.

evangd007

First FF 14, now DQ X.

Something tells me that Square got very overconfident with the profitability of MMOs after FF XI printed money for them the past few years.

RangerBAD

I wonder if maybe just making it a regular online game would've been more practical. You couldn't depend on the monthly fee, but they'd still be making that online adventure to play with your friends. Kinda like what some of us probably imagined Phantasy Star Online would've been before that ended up being more like dragging up an old name to reuse on a sci-fi Diablo-esque game.

Honestly, I wouldn't have even wanted co-op missions in it. I love just taking in the DQ worlds by myself.

Is there actually significant multiplayer content in the game? Like guilds, PVP, trading, etc. (i.e. stuff that the MMO component is essential for) or is it just glorified co-op (i.e. stuff that the MMO is incidental for) with a monthly charge like tons of MMO games now?

Erethian

First FF 14, now DQ X.

Something tells me that Square got very overconfident with the profitability of MMOs after FF XI printed money for them the past few years.

MMOs are one of the three pillars in their overall corporate strategy. The other two are mobile/social gaming, and "HD" titles (they bundle handheld games in with this).

Though there is nothing to indicate DQX is in the same group as FF14 so far as its impact on the bottom line. The former failed to meet expectations but is progressing steadily, while the latter was/is a shambles.

It's not like they aren't going to release an offline DQ; but it's going to be on the 3DS, and not a home console; they just saw that a home console is the best for an MMO, while a handheld (The handheld, 3DS), is the best for their offline game, considering how much the Japanese market is dominated by the handhelds.

nasos_333

Great news

now they can finally start bringing their trully masterpiece and unique games like Bravely Default for a change and not try with more of the same

I dont understand why they dont try with what they did best

Trully unique, 2D, with stunning art, epic single player JRPGs

That is what worked for them, anything else they make is a joke for me, even FF12 that was not a bad game, but was an extremely dissapointing FF for my tastes (and the first game in the series that reminded me of a generic MMO and never finished)

SE just wanted another source to get some of dat FFXI money they've enjoyed for many years.

I paid my monthly fee for nearly a decade. o_O Must of made them sooooo much money.

Can't blame them for trying I guess.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
First FF 14, now DQ X.

DQX is not in the same category as XIV... XIV crashed and burned, had a phoenix down drop on it and had regen cast for a slow recover. And now they are still rebuilding it with the largest team they ever had. DQX has been said to be on the very road to being profitable and has already made back its development costs. It's not a disaster like many in this thread seem to think it to be. Impressions have also been good so far, at least not bad like FFXIV 1.0 was.

Bladenic

Just wondering, why did you stop playing? No time, or did you finish all the content at the time?

Eteric Rice

Might just need an expansion or some new content. Is it possible that people have already burned through everything and just canceled their subs?

New content is required to make people want to continue playing.

farnham

Banned
Might just need an expansion or some new content. Is it possible that people have already burned through everything and just canceled their subs?

New content is required to make people want to continue playing.

There will be an event very soon about the wiiu version. Probably an announcement of an expansion?

Top Bottom