• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X is not meeting expectations

H_Prestige said:
Then they must have put zero effort into DQ7 because that game looks nowhere near as good. Storage space could also be a problem. 3DS is like, what, 4GB?
Theoretically 4 should be plenty for what 3DS could do with VIII. I've been playing a rip of my disc on PC; in the playable compressed form PCSX2 supports it's about 3 GB. And that's the NA version with the additional voice/music recordings. EDIT: Decompressed it's still not 4 GB, so it must've been a single-layer game anyway.

Zee-Row

Banned
A MMO is only really going to be successful on one platform. Even if it is on two then the two communities aren't going to ever meet. As shown by Final Fantasy XI on the PS2 and PC and even the 360. The PC version in the end became the primary and that is where the community was. Same is true of DC Universe Online. Same will be true of Final Fantasy XIV. Cross platform play isn't going to happen. People need to stop even thinking in that direction.

PS2 , Xbox and PC players could all play eachother in FFXI.

Sanctuary

Just think, had it not been MMORPG junk, it would have been a smashing success. Not claiming that all MMORPGs are bad, because they definitely aren't. We just don't need every new RPG attempting to be the MMORPG flavor of the week, destined for failure.

FPS and MMORPGs are the banes of the modern single player game. Who cares about narrative and story? Tack on that multiplayer and watch them fly off the shelves.

Oh wait...

watershed

Banned
DQX was an odd move all around by square. Released so late in the Wii's life. An mmo on a system with the worse online set up and probably the worst percentage of online connected users/active users, then the whole cross gen thing with the Wii U version still not out. Not surprised that it hasn't worked out.

Its a surprising follow up to DQIX which was a huge hit as a portable, cheaper, slightly more casual take on DQ.

PS2 , Xbox and PC players could all play eachother in FFXI.

Exactly. And that's the intention for FFXIV too, which is why there is no 360 version (FFXI 360 was given an exemption to use Square Enix's own servers but MS aren't repeating that decision with XIV).

And SOE have said that PS3 DCUO players outnumber their PC equivalents, so his argument is pretty garbage.

extralite

DQX sold phenomenally well being a MMO; the service just leaves way too much to be desired at this point. Once you beat the 'final' boss you're left to grind all your jobs as many of the passives transfer across classes (you can have a 150HP/60MP/150atk level1 character, for example), and the system lends itself to grinding the same mobs as the most efficient method. There were probably more people than SQEx expected that blindly followed strategy websites (極限攻略 to be specific -- the site's made a name for itself w/ guides on Dragon Quest games over the years) and didn't do any "adventuring" of their own.

Horii wanted to make a DQ MMO while Sugiyama was still able to make music. It's actually a fantastic game, just that there isn't the lasting power there to keep people playing beyond the first 2, 3 months.

There are story quests added regularly that continue the story of the central characters though. The jobs all have their own story quests as well. Not sure if it'd be worth the 1000 yen each month for many people just to play those.

Server 1 and 2 have become more active to the point of getting crowded on the week ends again. This was normal all the time in the first few months but then it calmed down.

I'm guessing the free trial from Tsutaya and then buying it at 3800 yen did bring in some new players. They began this campaign in november but the effects I mentioned above are only starting to be felt now. That would explain the comment that it advances steadily.

I think they expected it to have better legs and sell more steadily as more people would give it a chance. The free trial campaign was probably a reaction to that not quite working out as planned.

farnham

Banned
Details about the WiiU Version will come very soon (February 18th).

Im curious how this will work out for both WiiU and DQX userbase.

Usually MMORPG users are very hardcore and will probably not be scared off to buy a new console if the new version offers enough new things

i think the main features are higher resolution and off tv play right (possibly miiverse integration)?

Top Bottom