• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Crown |OT| Knock down the crown

Just picked up the vita version of this game from the sale. is there any good resources on character skill builds and whatnot? Or do you just kind of wing it? Coming from diablo where every character is minmaxed im surprised there aren't that many guides online for each class.

I personally just pick what I like, but I've done so with every talent system ever from WoW to Guild Wars 2, so don't mind me. I just don't understand the point of having a customization system, then using it to ape everyone else.

I personally just pick what I like, but I've done so with every talent system ever from WoW to Guild Wars 2, so don't mind me. I just don't understand the point of having a customization system, then using it to ape everyone else.

Its more about maximizing utility with your skill points. I know that in a lot of games if you don't skill and stat in certain ways you won't be doing your maximum dps, which makes late game much harder.

Its more about maximizing utility with your skill points. I know that in a lot of games if you don't skill and stat in certain ways you won't be doing your maximum dps, which makes late game much harder.

That entire mindset is what I loathe precisely. What does it matter you're not doing top DPS if you're playing the character as you like it? It's not like you can't compensate for it with, well, playing well (which you will need to do anyway in the latter difficulties).

There's also Amnesia Elixirs and you'll get at least two-three per character before the game really turns hard (the end of Infernal), so you can just pick what you want and respect when you hit the 90s and stop getting skill points. I dunno, I find the idea of writing down a template and following it mind-numbingly boring. But I do know many people take their games as serious business, and I can't change their minds, so again, don't mind me. :D

That entire mindset is what I loathe precisely. What does it matter you're not doing top DPS if you're playing the character as you like it? It's not like you can't compensate for it with, well, playing well (which you will need to do anyway in the latter difficulties).

There's also Amnesia Elixirs and you'll get at least two-three per character before the game really turns hard (the end of Infernal), so you can just pick what you want and respect when you hit the 90s and stop getting skill points. I dunno, I find the idea of writing down a template and following it mind-numbingly boring. But I do know many people take their games as serious business, and I can't change their minds, so again, don't mind me. :D

Like i said earlier, I just bought the game and have no idea there the difficulty curve and whether respecs are available. I am usually not a stickler for MAX DEEEEEPS but in loot based dungeon crawlers like this, min-maxing stats are usually super important if you want to do well. I still remember playing D3 and getting wrecked in inferno because my characters weren't specced correctly. That was definitely not fun.

Ashtar

So i got this game on the PSN sale, how long do I have to play (what level) before I get to play online. I read it takes 5 - 7 hours.... please tell me they decreased it some I want to play online co-op with my cousin

maouvin

Like i said earlier, I just bought the game and have no idea there the difficulty curve and whether respecs are available. I am usually not a stickler for MAX DEEEEEPS but in loot based dungeon crawlers like this, min-maxing stats are usually super important if you want to do well. I still remember playing D3 and getting wrecked in inferno because my characters weren't specced correctly. That was definitely not fun.

You can get the first respec potion after beating the 3rd floor of the dungeons that shows up after beating normal difficulty. But you can't really go wrong before Infernal, and on ultimate diff you'll be able to farm respecs.

So i got this game on the PSN sale, how long do I have to play (what level) before I get to play online. I read it takes 5 - 7 hours.... please tell me they decreased it some I want to play online co-op with my cousin

You need to beat the first nine bosses before playing online iirc.

Question about importing character data to PS Vita:

I've been playing local co-op on PS3 and planning to pick up two PS Vita copies soon. Can the second player that I have been playing co-op with on PS3 import their character from my PS3 to their PS Vita?

maouvin

And here comes the second (and prettier) sorc figure: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-005015&page=top

iklz5QAMiDor5.jpg

Priced a bit higher than the amazon, and some 800 jpy lower than the elf.

Her pose worries me - the stand better hold her well, else any wind will knock her down.

Question about importing character data to PS Vita:

I've been playing local co-op on PS3 and planning to pick up two PS Vita copies soon. Can the second player that I have been playing co-op with on PS3 import their character from my PS3 to their PS Vita?

You would have to use the same PSN account, with all the associated problems and caveats. For one I doubt you'd be able to play online at the same time, let alone together.

Velcro Fly

So I'm grinding trophies. Does it matter if I start my new characters at level 15? Should I skip or do quests? The idea of being able to skip half the game and still get trophies for beating the game on the lowest difficulty is really appealing.

Also do builds matter for characters I'm just using to plow through easy mode for the trophies? Tons of skill points at level 15 and I have no idea what to do :(

Ashtar

Do I have to beat the game before I can start a new character at 15? Im at the point where I can go online and I have to collect the talismans but when I tried to create a new character he was level 1. Also is there a rhyme or reason as to where the talismans will be? I thought they'd be down the new paths but so far it seems like a crap shoot

So I'm grinding trophies. Does it matter if I start my new characters at level 15? Should I skip or do quests? The idea of being able to skip half the game and still get trophies for beating the game on the lowest difficulty is really appealing.

Should be perfectly OK. They implemented it as an anti-repetition measure, so preventing trophy acquisition would kind of defeat the purpose.

Also do builds matter for characters I'm just using to plow through easy mode for the trophies? Tons of skill points at level 15 and I have no idea what to do :(

My advice? Pick what seems fun. I don't think you can screw yourself over by picking the wrong talents.

Do I have to beat the game before I can start a new character at 15? Im at the point where I can go online and I have to collect the talismans but when I tried to create a new character he was level 1.

You should be able to do so already, I think. Did you play for a bit? I think you get the option to skip to 15 right after the tutorial.

Also is there a rhyme or reason as to where the talismans will be? I thought they'd be down the new paths but so far it seems like a crap shoot

They are all in the B paths. You don't receive them unless you actually kill the boss. Most bosses have a "no win" condition, usually by them escaping or dying prematurely for reasons other than you killing them (or in some cases, simply by help arriving, even if you do kill them). Some of them are not obvious; for example, if you escape the first Medusa fight by exiting right, then kill her at the inner temple, it will NOT count as a kill either.

Each orb appears at a specific stage's B path, and stages always follow one another in a predetermined cycle (specifically, the order they appear in the stage select screen, which also shows what talisman you get out of each stage and whether or not you have them), so you can plan ahead to get several talismans in one run (I once collected all nine of them in a single Hard run with my dwarf).

Ashtar

Sweet thanks for the help brosef I had just been playing online and going to random games but now I see there's levels to this

maouvin

Looking to jump back in this game. Anyone have a recap of what's changed in the last 3 or 4 months?

The biggest thing would be patch 1.05, with a new difficulty, "Ultimate", available after you beat AD on infernal. It has a new dungeon (Tower of Mirages - it's like Lab of Chaos, but with 1 floor/level and is apparently endless) and new item properties exclusive to it.

Also, on Ultimate you can level up to 255 (no new skill points, and item levels still cap at 99), and all monsters are level 255 - but on the Tower of Mirages they are rather weak at the beginning and get more powerful as you climb up. On the normal 9 stages, they are lvl 255 from the get go and will one-shot a lvl 99. So, opposed to the first three difficulties, you climb the ToM for loot and levels and eventually go to the main stages.

There's more to it, like balancing and stuff, but I forgot.

The biggest thing would be patch 1.05, with a new difficulty, "Ultimate", available after you beat AD on infernal. It has a new dungeon (Tower of Mirages - it's like Lab of Chaos, but with 1 floor/level and is apparently endless) and new item properties exclusive to it.

Also, on Ultimate you can level up to 255 (no new skill points, and item levels still cap at 99), and all monsters are level 255 - but on the Tower of Mirages they are rather weak at the beginning and get more powerful as you climb up. On the normal 9 stages, they are lvl 255 from the get go and will one-shot a lvl 99. So, opposed to the first three difficulties, you climb the ToM for loot and levels and eventually go to the main stages.

There's more to it, like balancing and stuff, but I forgot.

Right on. Feels like I can get another 20-30 hours out of this game.

Ashtar

What level should I be at before I fight the dragon? I'm a level 28 amazon and he tore me a new one, i got him down to maybe 25% life before I finally succumbed to my injuries

maouvin

What level should I be at before I fight the dragon? I'm a level 28 amazon and he tore me a new one, i got him down to maybe 25% life before I finally succumbed to my injuries

You're capped at level 35 on normal, but it should be doable at 28.

Maybe you already know this, but since I only learned it on Infernal (lol) here it goes: you can hit his head while on the floor, so you can build berserk and brandish his face off.
Don't bring AI with you - or, if you absolutely feel like you need to bring just one, around the same level as you.
It's been some time since I last played, but iirc his area attacks (explosion and tornado) begin small and then activate, and you can destroy them before the activation.
You can hit the green shots the fires at the walls to send them back to him, giving some damage and protecting the walls.

Those are some of the basic tips, I guess.

Ashtar

You're capped at level 35 on normal, but it should be doable at 28.

Maybe you already know this, but since I only learned it on Infernal (lol) here it goes: you can hit his head while on the floor, so you can build berserk and brandish his face off.
Don't bring AI with you - or, if you absolutely feel like you need to bring just one, around the same level as you.
It's been some time since I last played, but iirc his area attacks (explosion and tornado) begin small and then activate, and you can destroy them before the activation.
You can hit the green shots the fires at the walls to send them back to him, giving some damage and protecting the walls.

Those are some of the basic tips, I guess.
Thanks dude, I'm level 30 now so I'm gonna try it tomorrow

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
FINALLY playing this game and it fucking ROCKS!!!! Haven't had this much fun playing a jrpg in a long time.

Questions:

1)Is there a way to either add, retrieve, or change the equipment of your AI controlled partners?

2)Do your AI partners level up at all?

3)I am currently a Lvl 20 Fighter. What are generally considered the "MUST HAVE" skills? Which skills should I level up?

Bombless

FINALLY playing this game and it fucking ROCKS!!!! Haven't had this much fun playing a jrpg in a long time.

Questions:

1)Is there a way to either add, retrieve, or change the equipment of your AI controlled partners?

2)Do your AI partners level up at all?

3)I am currently a Lvl 20 Fighter. What are generally considered the "MUST HAVE" skills? Which skills should I level up?

1) They may have multiple bags of equipment, you can switch them around when some of their items break. You can't give/take stuff though, just switch the bags.

2) No. You have to pick up new bones and rez them up at the chapel.

3) I never took groundslam and power strike. I don't remember his skills but I maxed autoblock as soon as I could. Same for the air and ground cyclone combos.

maouvin

Saw that Bombless posted and thought "new patch!"
Not today :p

As for the fighter: cyclone masher, tempest edge, reflex guard and cover allies are all things you can max whatever your build is. Cover Allies will buff your damage after ou block (you'll get some blue flames around you), and procs with Reflex Guard. Other interesting one is Shiled Tactics (people gets it up to level 8 - is helps you block harder hits from the enemies).

As for the rest, some of them scale poorly on the endgame, but as you can respec I'd suggest you don't worry with it for now :)

And a general tip: Deep Pockets (+1 slot on your bag) is the only skill that don't get "refunded" when you spec. Only take it if you feel you really need to carry more stuff with you. But a Fighter wouldn't need more than 1 or 2 levels in that.

If I might add to that, disable AI companions (via Triangle, in the tavern). They're useless, they make everything more confusing, and they make the difficulty scale up.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, I was able to easily defeat the Ancient Dragon on level 25 characters before the 2 minute fly-away thanks to level 60+ NPC allies.

Untrue. When you start a new level 1 character, having level 99 AI companions makes the game much faster.

Yeah, I read about that. So they don't get level-capped like you do, then? I never tried myself; sounds boring, faster or not. In any case, this is his/her first character, so it's a moot point anyway.

Yeah, I read about that. So they don't get level-capped like you do, then? I never tried myself; sounds boring, faster or not. In any case, this is his/her first character, so it's a moot point anyway.
It didn't feel like they were level capped! Bosses were mowed down in seconds.

What's really boring is playing most of the characters at level 1. NPCs get you to the fun parts faster.

JC Lately

Got a quick question about the story progression. Its been like a million patches since I played last so I want to make sure I got it straight:

Is story progression still tied to whoever is 1st player? My wife and I have been playing off and on since launch, until we got our asses handed to us by the Gazer. She got discouraged and barley feels like playing anymore, but I want to keep going. Can I proceed with and finish up the storyline solo with my character, and later on when she feels like giving it a go again can we load the same save file, only with her character as player1, and pick up the story where she left off?

Got a quick question about the story progression. Its been like a million patches since I played last so I want to make sure I got it straight:

Is story progression still tied to whoever is 1st player? My wife and I have been playing off and on since launch, until we got our asses handed to us by the Gazer. She got discouraged and barley feels like playing anymore, but I want to keep going. Can I proceed with and finish up the storyline solo with my character, and later on when she feels like giving it a go again can we load the same save file, only with her character as player1, and pick up the story where she left off?

Yes, exactly. Alternatively, she could delete and remake her character, and since you would have beaten the first 9 stages, she could shoot straight to level 15 with all of them completed (you can now skip that part with all successive characters).

After that, you can actually progress together, in the sense that it's all getting Talismans from there, and they're awarded to all players in the party. She would still have to get them if you're playing solo first, though.

It's a real shame that you quit at Gazer, as, right after that is when the game truly opens up, with all the B paths, online multiplayer, chaining runs, the cooking minigame, etc. There's a reason why they made it so you can skip to right after the Gazer with new characters: that's supposed to be the "boring" part!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This game is without a doubt my GOTY 2014 so far. Holy shit I've been playing non-stop every day for hours it's ike digital crack!!! Beat it on hard and made my way up to lvl 68. Been using only a fighter so far and completed all 50 quests.

Questions.....

1)How do you guys like to play in terms of solo-ing vs partying up online vs playing with AI partners? What's your preference and do you feel doing one has an advantage over the other?

2)Question about weapons/accessories: Which is more important....high ranked weapons/shields or high level weapons/shields? In other words, is it better to go with S-ranked weapons or high level weapons?

This game is without a doubt my GOTY 2014 so far. Holy shit I've been playing non-stop every day for hours it's ike digital crack!!! Beat it on hard and made my way up to lvl 68. Been using only a fighter so far and completed all 50 quests.

I have one of each character at level 60 at least, and my elf at level 96... and I've mostly stopped playing because Persona 4 Golden. It does have some insane replayability. :)

Questions.....

1)How do you guys like to play in terms of solo-ing vs partying up online vs playing with AI partners? What's your preference and do you feel doing one has an advantage over the other?

I personally play entirely solo; no AI because I dislike them (reasons outlined above), and no online players out of necessity since I play on the Vita during subway trips. Since the Vita chugs a bit when a lot of stuff is onscreen, playing solo also helps with that.

2)Question about weapons/accessories: Which is more important....high ranked weapons/shields or high level weapons/shields? In other words, is it better to go with S-ranked weapons or high level weapons?

I personally simply check the stats, using mostly weapons that have a high both min and max damage, accessories that have high defense, and in general, equipment that has more "lines" of effects or more interesting ones. Sometimes that means wearing a C piece of equipment if all your S ones are ten levels below. :)

maouvin

Questions.....

I played very little this year, but DC is my 2013 GOTY :)

Before answering, I have to say that my 3 characters are lvl 100~120, so I guess my opinions are biased to endgame.

1) I prefer to play online. People are usually competent enough, and it's more, uh, "light" to play since the monsters will have more than one target. When I play offline, it's solo - the bots simply aren't worthy allies.

2) Check the stats. I usually identify all S, A and B stuff and sell the rest. The higher the rank, the more properties an item can have, but it's not hard to see a rank A outclass a rank S (since they can roll a lot of useless bonuses), and sometimes a rank B comes with just the mods you've been looking for. Same for levels.

isamu

Thanks to both of you gentlemen for the very helpful and informative responses. Will certainly keep that in mind. Anyway, back to the game :)

isamu

Oh and a couple more questions:

1)Which prayer do you feel is most useful? I've been using Trailblazer's Boon and sometimes Prayer of Wealth. Which ones do you personally prefer?

2)Speaking of the Pray "Services", can you tell me if they remain activated during your entire game session, or are you required to buy one every time before you go on another Adventure?

Oh and a couple more questions:

1)Which prayer do you feel is most useful? I've been using Trailblazer's Boon and sometimes Prayer of Wealth. Which ones do you personally prefer?

I always use the most expensive +EXP prayer available: at your level that should indeed be Trailblazer. You'll be drowning in money after a while unless you make a point to continue often (I have well over 6 million) and you outgrow equipment, but experience is forever and you need quite a lot of it at the later levels.

2)Speaking of the Pray "Services", can you tell me if they remain activated during your entire game session, or are you required to buy one every time before you go on another Adventure?

They remain active during a single dungeon run, i.e. until you return to town. This is one of the reasons it becomes very worthwhile to make multi-dungeon runs as soon as the ability is unlocked, the others being additional bonuses per dungeon completed, and even further bonuses from the camp/cooking minigame. I usually try to do as many in a run as I can and that's usually in the order of 5-10+.

There's also an additional, subtle advantage to it. Equipment received hovers at around your level or a couple of levels more, but if I'm not wrong this is after the experience from the run is applied. This means that if you start a 10-dungeon run at level 30 and end at level 38, all the equipment you earned during all ten dungeons will be level 37-40 or so.

isamu

I always use the most expensive +EXP prayer available: at your level that should indeed be Trailblazer. You'll be drowning in money after a while unless you make a point to continue often (I have well over 6 million) and you outgrow equipment, but experience is forever and you need quite a lot of it at the later levels.

They remain active during a single dungeon run, i.e. until you return to town. This is one of the reasons it becomes very worthwhile to make multi-dungeon runs as soon as the ability is unlocked, the others being additional bonuses per dungeon completed, and even further bonuses from the camp/cooking minigame. I usually try to do as many in a run as I can and that's usually in the order of 5-10+.

There's also an additional, subtle advantage to it. Equipment received hovers at around your level or a couple of levels more, but if I'm not wrong this is after the experience from the run is applied. This means that if you start a 10-dungeon run at level 30 and end at level 38, all the equipment you earned during all ten dungeons will be level 37-40 or so.

Wow thanks a bunch Weltall you rock dude! Very helpful info :)

isamu

Heh, you're welcome! *blush*

Totally OT, but is your nick Macross Plus-related?

Yes :)

Anyway, after having leveled up my Fighter to lvl100, I've started with the Elf and have gotten her up to lvl 61. I gotta tell ya. Beating the Killer Rabbit Solo for the Guild request was a right pain in the ass! Loving the game to bits!

isamu

Up to level 72 and almost completed Infernal with my Elf. What skills do you guys have in your Elf Build? I don't think I have enough points to max out Boots *AND* Toxic *AND* Power Arrows(or whatever it's called).

Heh. Macross Plus rocks. :)

Anyway, after having leveled up my Fighter to lvl100, I've started with the Elf and have gotten her up to lvl 61. I gotta tell ya. Beating the Killer Rabbit Solo for the Guild request was a right pain in the ass! Loving the game to bits!

One good side of playing the entire game solo is that you end up doing these requests as if they were nothing. I really only sweated two bosses: Ancient Dragon on Infernal (it kept healing faster than I could damage it, at first) and the Demon King.

Up to level 72 and almost completed Infernal with my Elf. What skills do you guys have in your Elf Build? I don't think I have enough points to max out Boots *AND* Toxic *AND* Power Arrows(or whatever it's called).

I certainly didn't max Boots; I see kicks as more of a failsafe way to get more arrows (although they are good against some enemies, like Imps).

Admittedly, if you're almost done with infernal at level 72 you're probably much better than I am, so I'm not sure I should be giving you tips :D. I needed level 90+ to beat the aforementioned two bosses with the Elf (my only character on Ultimate).

isamu

Heh. Macross Plus rocks. :)

One good side of playing the entire game solo is that you end up doing these requests as if they were nothing. I really only sweated two bosses: Ancient Dragon on Infernal (it kept healing faster than I could damage it, at first) and the Demon King.

I certainly didn't max Boots; I see kicks as more of a failsafe way to get more arrows (although they are good against some enemies, like Imps).

Admittedly, if you're almost done with infernal at level 72 you're probably much better than I am, so I'm not sure I should be giving you tips :D. I needed level 90+ to beat the aforementioned two bosses with the Elf (my only character on Ultimate).

Thanks bro.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is there a website I can check to see all the classes'abilities and possible builds?

nbthedude

So I just bought this game to play with my two brothers co-op on our Vitas.

Am I reading the OT right that you have to play through every damn level in the game before playing Co-op? What the fuck is this bullshit?

Top Bottom