• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakensang: The River of Time |OT| Swords, Sorcery, and a Boat

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Gustav said:
We have actually been bought by BigPoint and the team is currently working on Drakensang Online, a browser based, Diablo like spin off.

http://www.drakensangonline.com/?lang=us

That's hardly any different from going out of business from my perspective. ;)

I'm a sucker for party-based RPGs and I really loved DS2 (while liking DS1 after the slow beginning), and the only real downside to the game is the rushed ending/feeling that there should have been one or two more chapters.

I don't really care for another (free-to-play?) hack and slash game, but would have loved to see the team try their hand at another Drakensang/party-based RPG, as the second game was a major improvement.

Still, the first two games exist and for that I'm truly glad.

Ceebs

Balehead said:
Just got this today and after 3 hours it seems to be a fine game. At first it's actually pretty scary with all the rules, classes and mechanics but I'm getting the hang of things just fine as the game progresses. The way leveling/buying new talents/skills works is still a bit shady but I haven't got too much exp to play around with so it'll probably become clearer later on.

The story has its cliches during intro but still gets the job done at least so far and the game looks good. Too bad my dwarf's running animation with sheated weapons looks like shit. Really shit, not "Oh he's so dwarf" shit.

Take 10 minutes and read this.

http://forum.dtp-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=12047

It explains all the systems and checks in the game. Once you know the very basics of how a skill check is rolled, the whole thing makes so much sense you start to wonder why the D&D model is so dominant.

You may even want to start over once you understand the system so you can fix your character since you will probably realize you made a giant mistake somewhere.

Gustav

Banned
Primate Ryan said:
That's hardly any different from going out of business from my perspective. ;)

I'm a sucker for party-based RPGs and I really loved DS2 (while liking DS1 after the slow beginning), and the only real downside to the game is the rushed ending/feeling that there should have been one or two more chapters.

I don't really care for another (free-to-play?) hack and slash game, but would have loved to see the team try their hand at another Drakensang/party-based RPG, as the second game was a major improvement.

Still, the first two games exist and for that I'm truly glad.

Trust me, we would have loved to make another party based Drakensang RPG. We were mid to end of pre-production and so far Drakensang 3 looked good. Sadly, the financial situation did not allow for us to carry on.

Although I left as soon as Radon Labs was bought by BigPoint it really is different from going out of business. The majority of the team still has a job. That's preferable, I'd say.

Mrbob

I'm going to pick this up today. Is the Phileasson's Secret expansion worth the money? Only 5 bucks, but I don't want to get it if it is no good.

How about the original game? Worth playing after I finish the prequel game? Or will it feel like a step back since the prequel game was made second?

Primate Ryan

Neo Member
Mrbob said:
How about the original game? Worth playing after I finish the prequel game? Or will it feel like a step back since the prequel game was made second?

It will feel like a step back. The pacing is way better in the second game and it has some further improvements that make it a better experience. If you are thinking about playing both games, you should really play the first game first (and stick with it for quite a bit before it gets better).

Also: new players should read up on the game systems and particularities. One of the most important things to be aware of is how wounds work, how you can prevent them and how to inflinct them on enemies.

Ceebs

Primate Ryan said:
It will feel like a step back. The pacing is way better in the second game and it has some further improvements that make it a better experience. If you are thinking about playing both games, you should really play the first game first (and stick with it for quite a bit before it gets better).

Also: new players should read up on the game systems and particularities. One of the most important things to be aware of is how wounds work, how you can prevent them and how to inflinct them on enemies.
Pretty much this. For example, River of Time adds fast travel which will make parts of The Dark Eye unbearable without.

Read that link I posted up above before you jump in.

ICKE

Banned
This game is absolutely great and I'm still in the beginning (with an amazon).

I love the outlook and the visual aspects of it, it has that traditional fantasy theme going for it instead of all the modern grim dark settings - though I do enjoy games such as Witcher and so on.

The animations are smooth, there seems to be so much depth in the character creation system and the dialogue has been funny during the tutorial phase.

I decided to download Ergo's mod before even trying the game, because apparently the speed is somewhat sluggish without it and can be frustrating.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who has enjoyed the Baldurs Gate saga, Dragon Age Origins and other similar games. Can't believe this has slipped below my radar, it's basically a AAA RPG without any media coverage for some reason.

This is -50% in steam right now!

ICKE

Banned
I would just like to add a little warning to prospective players.

You should definitely try to get the German version as from time to time the English voice acting is sub par. It's a real shame I can't change the language in my steam version of the game.

Top Bottom