• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamcast documentary by Archipel (toco toco) Part 1

sublimit

Banned

Last year in Ebb and Flow, we discussed with some of the game creators who are behind Japan's recently acclaimed games on their views on the state of the industry.

This year, for the 20th anniversary of the Dreamcast, we decided to engage in another set of conversations; this time with the game creators behind some of the console's most iconic titles.

In this first part, these creators will tell us more about how they encountered the Dreamcast, the context at the time, in addition to the story behind their titles.

Full Cast: Hiroshi Iuchi (Ikaruga), Kenji Kanno (Crazy Taxi), Masayoshi Kikuchi (Jet Set Radio), Rieko Kodama (Eternal Arcadia), Tetsuya Mizuguchi (Space Channel 5 / Rez), Tetsu Okano (Segagaga), Yoot Saito (Seaman) & Hiroaki Yotoriyama (SoulCalibur)

I never had a Dreamcast but since this is by Archipel i know this documentary will be of very high quality. Going to start watching now.

Part 2:

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
tenor.gif

Kazza

Just finished it. What a well-made documentary! It had a slightly melancholy feel to it, appropriate given the subject matter I suppose.

Lots of nice info:
- the various teams at Sega (Jet Set Radio and Rez/Space Channel 5 etc) all being young and hanging out together after work
- Rieko Kodama mentioning how Skies of Arcadia was originally planned for Saturn. Interesting to see how that would have turned out
- Tetsu Okano's friendly rivalry with the "people upstairs" (i.e. the Shenmue team), telling Sega how his game (Segagaga) would be just 1% of Shenmue's budget
- Tetsuya Mizuguchi talking about pretty much living at the office during the making of Rez/Space Channel 5, working on the latter during the day, and the former at night
- Hiroaki Yotoriyama talking about how much effort they put into the Soul Calibur port (they probably wanted to keep Sega alive so that they wouldn't be faced with a Sony monopoly in the console market)

Much more that I've already forgotten. It sounds like everyone was having a really fun and creative time, and were given plenty of leeway by their bosses. Must have been a fun time to work at/with Sega

BlackTron

Oh nice. I don't have an hour to watch this right away but this is good weekend material.

Dreamcast was ahead of its time and the last console launch that made me truly excited. I still have all my games and demo disks, even the essentially useless ones like web browsers and PSO ver 1.

Just some of the best days ever in gaming.

TLZ

Banned
I'm still sad to this day my aunt gave away my only once used Dreamcast that came with a cool steel briefcase :(

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Awesome work put into making this video. I had mine on 9-9-99. Babbages had gotten a Japanese Dreamcast prior to release. They had Sega Bass Fishing and Sonic Adventure.

I remember reserving my lot. $50 down for the console, $5 for Sonic, Marvel vs. Capcom, Soul Caibur, Blue Stinger and a VMU and the arcade controller. A couple of them came in later (of course). Sonic Adventure was delayed at Babbages, so I essentially went home with Soul Calibur. I had a subscription to ODCM, so I had a bunch of Seganet discs with Sega Swirl.

I remember MTV played a bunch of 9-9-99 commercials before it came out. Dreamcast was all I could think about until another console would come out.

caffeware

Banned
Was the dreamcast that big in japan?

I would had thought the Saturn had a bigger impact there, yet it didn't get a doc.

Shin

Banned
Whoa shocking revelation unveiled...for me.
Sega was an American company, part of the Paramount group named SErvice GAmes.
After so many years I find out about this, lived through their Mega Drive, CD's and what's not and always thought it was a Japanese company from the start.
You learn something new everyday decade...

Thank you for posting. This is the best video I've seen for the Sega Dreamcast. Listening to the developers talk about their games and the console itself is beautiful. I had no idea, for example, that Jet Set Radio was designed around rough drafts of its characters that looked like they were part of the same universe, or that the white color of the Dreamcast was the series of SEGA consoles coming full circle (though there is a black Sega Sports model).

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

This shit kind of makes you sad that 14 year olds these days don't get to experience that kind of magic and expectation. The leap from 16 to 32bit, the introduction of CD, then DVD, 3D graphics etc...a console launch was a seismic event full of wildly new stuff.

These days it's just a load of mongery about terraflops and architecture. Screw that. Dreamcast was the daddy.

K1Expwy

Dreamcast dying was sad, but buying up unopened copies of the library at clearance prices were good times. Not for collecting purposes, but it was the easiest time to play everything the platform had to offer. I have a few games lying around that I guess are worth some money now.

The part about Segagaga is great. "I usually say this, but if I were at Namco, I would have made Namcococo or Konamimimi if I were at Konami [...] Now what I wanted to turn into a game the most was SEGA itself, I thought I had to do it."

"The president thanked me and left. Nobody thought I was being serious." :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"It's funny but it got covered on TV news on World Business Satellite or on the front page of sports newspapers. I didn't aim for that in the beginning, but it just came into sync. Segagaga's promotion budget was 30,000 yen ($280), it's incredible, right? Out of those 30,000 yen, 20,000 went into making my pro wrestling mask. Just to say that we didn't have any money. However, SEGA comes and announces the end of the Dreamcast and everything just took on from there."

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, I really should finish off my Dreamcast collection. It's one of those systems where, while a lot of the games were ported, the ports almost never matched the originals.

After so many years I find out about this, lived through their Mega Drive, CD's and what's not and always thought it was a Japanese company from the start.

There's more trivia! 🤣 Did you know that SEGA was almost bought by SONY in the early 80s? Here's the story. Also, SEGA's roots go all the way back to 1899.

sublimit

Banned
Yup same here. I didn't knew that.
There's more trivia! 🤣 Did you know that SEGA was almost bought by SONY in the early 80s? Here's the story. Also, SEGA's roots go all the way back to 1899.
Well that at least i knew. :p

Last edited:
"I read a lot of opinions and hear a lot of talks about this. As someone who works for SEGA, I was told to make games that elevated the console. I was given the console, the time and the people. We made this but they didn't sell as expected. I think we could say that what we made wasn't good enough. I think we couldn't make titles that were good enough for the console. I think that's the main reason. We do say that there weren't any killer titles, we had to make the killer titles ourselves. The fact that we couldn't is probably where we failed as SEGA developers."

~Rieko Kodama, Skies of Arcadia producer

Damn.

I wonder what the futuristic Dreamcast illustration on the wall of Okawa's office looked like.

These are some alternate designs from a collected works book by Darren Wall:

b44aaf30e77606255e9af145af1fe6ac_original.jpg

822d2d58418abff7e2df2af00487f978_original.jpg

Also, who would have thought they were planning to introduce a way to play games digitally on a 40GB HDD?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's like they had a mindset very similar to Nintendo but didn't manage to quite get things done. Dreamcast sounds like they wanted a Wii-like device with not going after core gamers but wanting to bring in new users. Which they never did, but still.

nush

Gold Member
Fantastically well made documentary. The part about 3rd generation sells the house is so spot on, never heard that phrase before.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
please post more of this stuff,
actually anyone in this thread please post good retro gaming channels on youtube thank you.

Kazza

I was nice to have this pop up in my feed on Sunday morning, but crying perhaps isn't the best way to start the day :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

"I read a lot of opinions and hear a lot of talks about this. As someone who works for SEGA, I was told to make games that elevated the console. I was given the console, the time and the people. We made this but they didn't sell as expected. I think we could say that what we made wasn't good enough. I think we couldn't make titles that were good enough for the console. I think that's the main reason. We do say that there weren't any killer titles, we had to make the killer titles ourselves. The fact that we couldn't is probably where we failed as SEGA developers."

~Rieko Kodama, Skies of Arcadia producer

Damn.

This was one of the saddest parts of the documentary. All those people who made all those great games blaming themselves for not being good enough.

I loved it when one of the guys said that they were like indie developers but with big budgets. Very true.

I was nice to have this pop up in my feed on Sunday morning, but crying perhaps isn't the best way to start the day :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

Won't lie, especially the second video was very, very difficult for me to watch.

This was one of the saddest parts of the documentary. All those people who made all those great games blaming themselves for not being good enough.

I loved it when one of the guys said that they were like indie developers but with big budgets. Very true.

Indeed. I thought to myself you guys did such a fantastic job, delivering some of my favorite, and unforgettable experiences ever, don't do this to yourself!

I liked when it was said that the console was successful in a way, and that it's influence lives on to this day. Nevertheless, it deserved so much better than it actually did.

Kazza

Won't lie, especially the second video was very, very difficult for me to watch.

Indeed. I thought to myself you guys did such a fantastic job, delivering some of my favorite, and unforgettable experiences ever, don't do this to yourself!

I liked when it was said that the console was successful in a way, and that it's influence lives on to this day. Nevertheless, it deserved so much better than it actually did.

I don't know too much about Japan, but if it's anything like China, then there could be a "modesty" thing going on (and not wanting to seem to be passing the blame onto others). Hopefully they are proud of what they produced. Most people seem to agree that it was a really short but creative time in gaming.

Kazza

please post more of this stuff,
actually anyone in this thread please post good retro gaming channels on youtube thank you.

To add to 8bit Man's great list (great to see Implant Games there, that guy deserves way more subs):

SNESDrunk - as the name implies it's largely focused on SNES, with occasional Megadrive and others thrown in
Kim Justice - a UK focused channel, which means lots of Spectrum, C64, Amiga etc, as well as the usual NES, Megadrice etc
Console Wars - fun SNES/Megadrive comparisons
Pixel Game Squad - I mostly subscribe to these guys for their excellent My Retro Life series, which contains lots of great VHS footage from the 80s and 90s

sublimit

Banned
I have been close friends with my Japanese teacher for 4 years now and from what she told me this is a typical mentality in Japan.Especially for older generations.
I don't know too much about Japan, but if it's anything like China, then there could be a "modesty" thing going on (and not wanting to seem to be passing the blame onto others). Hopefully they are proud of what they produced. Most people seem to agree that it was a really short but creative time in gaming.
Really?I'm very surprised to hear that. Both from my experience from some Chinese people i've met outside China as well as from what the brother of a friend of mine who has been living in China from the last 8 years (he is married with a Chinese woman and works there) Chinese,especially the newly rich ones,are very arrogant and think they have the right to do anything just because they have the money.

But anyway since i haven't lived myself in those countries i don't think i can be a good judge and i also don't want to start a Japan vs China culture war. :)

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Really?I'm very surprised to hear that. Both from my experience from some Chinese people i've met outside China as well as from what the brother of a friend of mine who has been living in China from the last 8 years (he is married with a Chinese woman and works there) Chinese,especially the newly rich ones,are very arrogant and think they have the right to do anything just because they have the money.

But anyway since i haven't lived myself in those countries i don't think i can be a good judge and i also don't want to start a Japan vs China culture war. :)

You're not wrong tho.

cireza

Just finished it. What a well-made documentary! It had a slightly melancholy feel to it, appropriate given the subject matter I suppose.
I watched the documentary about the composer for Nier, and it was also a bit melancholic. I guess that this is some kind of signature. It was a fantastic documentary by the way.

This Dreamcast video was also fantastic. You realize how much creativity was deployed back then and the talent behind the games. All great and humble creators. It is so sad to realize how much talent and motivation was present to support the console, but that it still failed. But this is a summary of Sega overall, a company that outputted legendary games several times a year, still failed and was rejected by the mass. The world did not deserve Sega.

Last edited:

Kazza

I have been close friends with my Japanese teacher for 4 years now and from what she told me this is a typical mentality in Japan.Especially for older generations.

It varies from person to person, and there certainly are rich arrogant people around (the Chinese have a derogatory term for them, 土豪, kind of "rich bumpkin"), but I'd say in general modesty is considered a virtue. I think this may be common across East Asia.

nush

Gold Member
I watched the documentary about the composer for Nier, and it was also a bit melancholic. I guess that this is some kind of signature. It was a fantastic documentary by the way.

This Dreamcast video was also fantastic. You realize how much creativity was deployed back then and the talent behind the games. All great and humble creators. It is so sad to realize how much talent and motivation was present to support the console, but that it still failed. But this is a summary of Sega overall, a company that outputted legendary games several times a year, still failed and was rejected by the mass. The world did not deserve Sega.
Their debt and sins of the past were too much for them at that point. They went out in a blaze of glory though.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
To add to 8bit Man's great list (great to see Implant Games there, that guy deserves way more subs):

SNESDrunk - as the name implies it's largely focused on SNES, with occasional Megadrive and others thrown in
Kim Justice - a UK focused channel, which means lots of Spectrum, C64, Amiga etc, as well as the usual NES, Megadrice etc
Console Wars - fun SNES/Megadrive comparisons
Pixel Game Squad - I mostly subscribe to these guys for their excellent My Retro Life series, which contains lots of great VHS footage from the 80s and 90s
Added 2 thanks 😎

Top Bottom