• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon is leaving Giant Bomb

God damn it, that sucks. Drew's been a source of joy, amusement, bemusement, bewilderment, and merriment to Giant Bomb over the years. Even though West got a little empty of late, we always had Drew.

God speed and best of luck to you in the future, Scanlon.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Here's to him taking his life to new heights. Video games were below the clouds but as we all know, it's always sunny above the clouds.

HCy0sMJ.gif

Nestunt

This hurts more than I would have anticipated.

I've grown found of Drew's calm and rational interventions. And I really think his talents were responsible for the great evolution in the production of Giant Bomb features.

I am happy for him because he is very smart and capable and probably will end up doing something really meaningful and incredible.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Super sad, Drew is awesome. What's worse is the increased amount of Rorie filler we are going to get now. The shows will be full of his derailing, dog wankery, not listening to what was just said, and his weird creepy comments.

Oh christ come the fuck on. You don't have to drag someone else through the mud to praise someone.

Rorie is great and equally a fixture of GB. These are still good people and it isn't unlikely they read these threads. Show some decorum.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Was Drew originally just a background video editing guy not intended to be part of the on screen crew?

He has been around since the Sausalito basement (Persona 4 ER).

They gradually brought him into videos more and more until he was basically on screen full time.

I am actually really going to miss his and Alexis' Extra Life streams on set.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Nobody in this thread has mentioned where he's going. I'm assuming he did not say?

"Obviously, more to come on that soon" he said. He said hell be around to guest star maybe, so he isnt moving, but it will involve traveling. No twitch, no danny meger he said.

Glix

I don't know if this is a popular opinion around here, but it just really hasn't been the same for me since Patrick left and then Ryan passed.

For me, once Patrick came on, those are the glory days.

erawsd

Jeff just needs to shutter Giant Bomb West and move east with the rest of the guys at this point.

Nah, they'll be fine. There was a similarly dark period after Vinny left when it was just Jeff, Brad, and an "awkward" Drew in the west. At least this time they have GBEast to lean on until the new hires get there.

Ominym

Banned
Damn, this actually makes me very worried about the fate of Giant Bomb. I'm not all doom and gloom, I know Jeff et al. has a knack for being hiring good people. But it seems like Giant Bomb is always reeling from a recent loss/running at a deficit for the past few years.

Best of luck to Drew, he's got a lot of career left and plenty of interesting stuff going forward. I'll make sure to check out his new thing.

He has been around since the Sausalito basement (Persona 4 ER).

They gradually brought him into videos more and more until he was basically on screen full time.

I am actually really going to miss his and Alexis' Extra Life streams on set.

I'm absolutely positive he, Mary Kish and Alexis are still going to make time for Extra Life.

Was Drew originally just a background video editing guy not intended to be part of the on screen crew?

Yep, he was hired by Whiskey Media to fold T-Shirts and later edit videos for Anime Vice and Comic Vine. When Giant Bomb started up he was moved to that, and stayed there. He popped up on some old videos and eventually became part of the fold.

That lead to stuff like Rorie, their social media and support guy becoming a personality as well, and Jason, their newest video editor followed suit, but it took a while for him to step out from behind the camera.

Yeah background and occasional yelling or video appearances for quite a few years. Didn't become a full-time personality like the rest of them until they had to fill the vacuum of Ryan's death and Patrick being in Chicago.

Sad to see Drew go. Loved that he always brought alternative viewpoints as well as keeping discussions light and not always gaming focused.

All the people ITT talking about how GB is "done" or how they screwed up letting Drew go, will probably be the people doing this the next six times this happens...

As said somewhere earlier, Jeff knows how to run the business and attract talent. Even on his most recent Jar Time, is very clear he spends a significant amount of time thinking very long term about how the site should operate.

GB will continue to be fine, and i'm sure they will find a couple more good people to bring aboard.

Happy Trails, Drew. All the best. You'll be missed.

*drops to knees and holds fists to sky
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Drew recently became my favorite Bombcast member. That said he's extremely smart and has so many varied interests that I really think the sky's the limit for him (pun intended).

Drew... no... not like this. :(

I guess when you're skilled like he is you have a lot of options for your career, working at a videogame site forever was probably too limiting to his interests. Well, either that or he's getting a fat paycheck elsewhere.

Folk saying GB is dying/dead need to get a grip.

GB East is currently doing the best it ever has done and it's podcast has now surpassed the bombcast for me.

GB West still has Jeff/Brad/Jason which is a decent core albeit not enough to sustain a 3 hour podcast once a week, but Jeff knows what's up there will be new faces and they will be excellent.

ryseing

Definitely going to miss him and his in depth aviation talk.
Was thinking of re-subbing to GB but West is barren and desolate right now.

Yeah, I hate to be one of those guys, but whoever they hire next is going to be a major factor in whether I renew or not. Drew was one of my favorites and he's going to be leaving a pretty sizable void.

GlamFM

Banned
I don't know if this is a popular opinion around here, but it just really hasn't been the same for me since Patrick left and then Ryan passed.

For me, once Patrick came on, those are the glory days.

Wrong. Whiskey Media were the glory days.

Top Bottom