• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon is leaving Giant Bomb

Nooooo!!!! Is he going to become a pilot or something. Oh well people move on and change jobs. It's probably only a matter of time before Jeff and Brad "retire" per se.

phant0m

Devastated. Metal Gear Scanlon is still the best content GB has ever produced. I'm still reeling over Dan going to East, but this is too much.

EddvMkp.gif

The life of full-time pilot Drew begins.

But seriously, GB West is hemorrhaging talent. Maybe the game journalist salary just isn't sustainable in San Francisco?

Trojan

This is a bummer. Drew was always good for some interesting left field conversations gaming or otherwise. Drew had decent jokes when it counted and he wasn't a mushmouth, which is Rorie's big problem.

Rorie brings some interesting things to the table but he isn't as engaging to listen to and he needs some elocution lessons if he's going to be talent rather than production/backroom.

Jason is fine in videos especially when focussing on one thing but I actually don't like him on the podcast, he makes a lot of throwaway comments and asks poor questions. I'm sure he's great in production but I don't know if he can act as a pillar on the podcast.

GB West is in trouble. It really hasn't been great for years but at least they were trying to fix things on a regular basis and it never entered death spiral territory. Hopefully they do some thoughtful but quick hires for production and content.

Agree with your first 3 paragraphs - that Drew was great and that Jason and Rorie are better as supplements than primary podcasters - but lol at your last paragraph.

They'll be fine. This happens every time someone important leaves a website, TV show, or even your job. Everyone forecasts doom and gloom and 90% of the time it turns out fine. As long as Jeff is still running the show they'll get the right people in as they've shown they can do multiple times over recent years.

big_z

I'm going to miss drew a lot, he's super interesting and stands out from the other guys. He brings some of the best stories and facts to the podcast and will be impossible to replace.

I'm very curious what he moves on to and if it's the SF hellscape that's forcing the guys out. Maybe time to move the office?

spiritfox

I'm going to miss drew a lot, he's super interesting and stands out from the other guys. He brings some of the best stories and facts to the podcast and will be impossible to replace.

I'm very curious what he moves on to and if it's the SF hellscape that's forcing the guys out. Maybe time to move the office?

I know a basement in Petaluma that's perfect.

tmarg

They'll be fine. This happens every time someone important leaves a website, TV show, or even your job. Everyone forecasts doom and gloom and 90% of the time it turns out fine. As long as Jeff is still running the show they'll get the right people in as they've shown they can do multiple times over recent years.

Trying to live in San Francisco on a game journalist's salary isn't a problem that clever hiring will fix. There is a definite exodus of talent across the industry, not just at Giant Bomb, and even when they make good hires they aren't sticking around. I think there could definitely be a long term problem for GB west.

ryseing

Just an observation- the reactions ITT, myself included, show both the upsides and downsides of running a personality driven site. The upside is that your audience is more invested (sometimes in... unhealthy ways) and will thus be more loyal. Downside is that when changes do inevitably happen they can be absolutely catastrophic.

Red UFO

The life of full-time pilot Drew begins.

But seriously, GB West is hemorrhaging talent. Maybe the game journalist salary just isn't sustainable in San Francisco?
That CBS building in general seems to be a leaky boat lately in terms of losing talent. Wonder what's up, if anything.

This might be petty and dramatic, but sadly I'm going to unsub from premium after being a member for so long. Dan leaving made me waiver in my love, but Drew kept me going!

Sad to see him leave!

I really don't think it has anything to do with living in sf. Drew has worked for gb in sf for 8 years. He just wants to start something new.

This might be petty and dramatic, but sadly I'm going to unsub from premium after being a member for so long. Dan leaving made me waiver in my love, but Drew kept me going!

Sad to see him leave!

You should probably hang on until they get one new hire at least. They've had one spot up for grabs for a few months now. So it shouldn't be too much longer.

canedaddy

Happy for him, but this is a bummer. Drew is the MVP of the Bombcast... so many great one-liners quietly slipped in between the others.

Fox Mulder

Sad to see him leave!

I haven't subbed since the whiskey glory days. Magical upstart times.

Good luck to Drew, cool fun dude.

canedaddy

Just an observation- the reactions ITT, myself included, show both the upsides and downsides of running a personality driven site. The upside is that your audience is more invested (sometimes in... unhealthy ways) and will thus be more loyal. Downside is that when changes do inevitably happen they can be absolutely catastrophic.
"Absolutely catastrophic"? Huh?

Najaf

Was too handsome for GB west anyway... Loved the tone he brought to the table. Always surprised me all the travel, flying and hobbies he seemed to have on what was probably a pretty modest income. Will really miss him on the Bombcast especially.

I kind of feel like GB west should not be in San Francisco. SF is so expensive; unforgiving so. And honestly, GB west could work from anywhere. I always thought the GB crew would function well in a place like Austin. I'm not surprised the games journalism business has gotten thin and only has retained a few key names.

Jeff, Vinny and Brad (and Ryan) probably inked pretty decent contracts with CBS, with Jeff at the head of the pack in that regard. But everyone else is likely on par for their job description as far as pay goes. And working with great people only carries one so far. Eventually, pay ceilings start to paint a pretty narrow picture for people as young as Drew.

Shame. Will miss him.

I haven't subbed since the whiskey glory days. Magical upstart times.

Good luck to Drew, cool fun dude.
Yaaa best days. ;(

You should probably hang on until they get one new hire at least. They've had one spot up for grabs for a few months now. So it shouldn't be too much longer.

I'll hang on a while longer and I'm rewatching all of Metal Gear Scanlon (thus compounds my Dan/Drew love!). Just a bummer they are losin' so many and I don't have hope for their new hires.

Also if this means Rorie is not a permanent fixture on GBcast... I'll probably bow out of that too. Rorie is a great guy, but I'm not a huge fan of listening to him on the show. Major respect to him though.

hwy_61

Banned
Was too handsome for GB west anyway... Loved the tone he brought to the table. Always surprised me all the travel, flying and hobbies he seemed to have on what was probably a pretty modest income. Will really miss him on the Bombcast especially.

I kind of feel like GB west should not be in San Francisco. SF is so expensive; unforgiving so. And honestly, GB west could work from anywhere. I always thought the GB crew would function well in a place like Austin. I'm not surprised the games journalism business has gotten thin and only has retained a few key names.

Jeff, Vinny and Brad (and Ryan) probably inked pretty decent contracts with CBS, with Jeff at the head of the pack in that regard. But everyone else is likely on par for their job description as far as pay goes. And working with great people only carries one so far. Eventually, pay ceilings start to paint a pretty narrow picture for people as young as Drew.

Shame. Will miss him.

GB should move....

To Chicago.

big_z

He hasn't said it outright, but my guess is if Vinny couldn't move to NY he would've left Giant Bomb eventually.

Vinny made it pretty clear that sf was pricing him out of the area and kids aren't cheap. He didn't really have much choice but I'm happy it worked out for him and us. Vinny is easily one of the best personalities in the industry.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I just hope they don't spend a year looking before they hire anyone.

Crew is becoming pretty barebones, and are losing someone that brought a lot of variety when it comes to game taste.

- J - D -

He hasn't said it outright, but my guess is if Vinny couldn't move to NY he would've left Giant Bomb eventually.

I was thinking GB West pack up and move east but I know it's unrealistic. Jeff is now married and owns a home in the bay area. Jason's family just added a new kid. Brad I dunno, he seems like he'd be the likeliest to move (or leave).

Top Bottom