• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT3| Evolved

Okay guys, I am having an insane problem with Driveclub. I wanted to post a separate thread about it to see if I could get some help, but I can't post new threads yet.

Here's my problem: Every 20 minutes EXACTLY, the audio totally drops out of the game for about a second, and then comes back. I am not kidding, it is EXACTLY 20 minutes on the button, like clockwork. I've tested it for the past couple hours now, and it has never missed the 20 minute mark.

I have absolutely no clue what could possibly be causing this, but it is driving me insane. I just upgraded my PS+ editing to the season pass this week, and now I'm getting bummed out.

Any ideas?

Okay guys, I am having an insane problem with Driveclub. I wanted to post a separate thread about it to see if I could get some help, but I can't post new threads yet.

Here's my problem: Every 20 minutes EXACTLY, the audio totally drops out of the game for about a second, and then comes back. I am not kidding, it is EXACTLY 20 minutes on the button, like clockwork. I've tested it for the past couple hours now, and it has never missed the 20 minute mark.

I have absolutely no clue what could possibly be causing this, but it is driving me insane. I just upgraded my PS+ editing to the season pass this week, and now I'm getting bummed out.

Any ideas?

That's very odd. Have you tested any other games to see if the problem is isolated to Driveclub?

My 'quickfix' ideas would be to turn your PS4 off entirely and do a full restart - as well as rebuild your database.

These have both solved odd quirks in games/software on my PS4 in the past.

Outside of that the only other thing I could think of would be deleting/reinstalling the game.

Sorry!

That's very odd. Have you tested any other games to see if the problem is isolated to Driveclub?

My 'quickfix' ideas would be to turn your PS4 off entirely and do a full restart - as well as rebuild your database.

These have both solved odd quirks in games/software on my PS4 in the past.

Outside of that the only other thing I could think of would be deleting/reinstalling the game.

Sorry!

As far as I can tell, it seems to only be in Driveclub, and only seems to be through headphone output. I tried database rebuild, earlier, but no dice.

I was thinking of deleting and reinstalling as a last resort, but I was saving that until I had no other options since I only have the digital download and a lousy bandwidth cap on my cable internet. Argh.

The 20 minutes thing is killing me though. I thought it was random the first several times it happened; wrote it off as a bluetooth signal problem or something. Then I started to notice it seemed to happen with obvious regularity...then I started timing it. Perplexed.

As far as I can tell, it seems to only be in Driveclub, and only seems to be through headphone output. I tried database rebuild, earlier, but no dice.

I was thinking of deleting and reinstalling as a last resort, but I was saving that until I had no other options since I only have the digital download and a lousy bandwidth cap on my cable internet. Argh.

The 20 minutes thing is killing me though. I thought it was random the first several times it happened; wrote it off as a bluetooth signal problem or something. Then I started to notice it seemed to happen with obvious regularity...then I started timing it. Perplexed.

Only through the headphone output is definitely odd. Have you tried a different controller/headset to rule that out too (assuming you are using the headphone jack on the controller)?

I've heard of weird controller related problems too

Any ideas?

This might sound weird but do you have any downloads going on in the background? I had audio drops whilst the game was reinstalling itself after a hard drive swap. When I turned off the downloads they stopped.
I don't think it's the same thing considering how the timing but I thought it was worth bringing up. :p

I've tried 3 controllers, same thing. I'm going to test one more time through TV speakers in case I missed it through the speakers. No downloads happening currently.

I do have a new development, though. On a whim I uplugged the LAN cable from the back of the PS4 right before my next 20 minute cycle ended. No sound drop with cable unplugged. I waited 3 minutes and plugged it back in. Now the cycle of audio drops happens 3 minutes later than before (for example, it was dropping at :5 minutes, :25 minutes, :45 minutes after the hour...now it's dropping at :8, :28, :48).

So for some reason, it is happening every 20 minutes from the point at which Driveclub first syncs with the network.

xrnzaaas

Just played the demo of Sebastien Loeb Rally. I don't think I've ever experienced a worse handling model.

The problem with that demo is that you can't change any control settings like adding the dead zone or tweaking the sensitivity. Also the car is responding with a visible delay. It all pretty much makes the handling horrible and I've already removed the game from my wishlist. I heard Dirt Rally on PC is awesome, but if you're waiting for the PS4 version I recommend WRC 5 in the meantime. The graphics aren't great and the framerate isn't perfect, but it's very enjoyable to drive rally cars in that game.

Guess we missed this one.........

mtOzv6H.jpg

I just bought a PlayStation 4 a few days ago.

I looked on the PlayStation store for Drive club. All I could find was a PS+ upgrade to the Full game and season pass £20; or a PS+ upgrade to the Full game £15 or just the Full game for £25.

I'm wanting the Full game and the pass but I never downloaded the PS+ edition of the game. As long as I have a PS+ subscription can I still make use out of this deal? Or will I need to buy the £25 one and the season pass separately?

Had an hour with it with brother in law at his and I had to get a ps4 for it.

xrnzaaas

I just bought a PlayStation 4 a few days ago.

I looked on the PlayStation store for Drive club. All I could find was a PS+ upgrade to the Full game and season pass £20; or a PS+ upgrade to the Full game £15 or just the Full game for £25.

I'm wanting the Full game and the pass but I never downloaded the PS+ edition of the game. As long as I have a PS+ subscription can I still make use out of this deal? Or will I need to buy the £25 one and the season pass separately?

Had an hour with it with brother in law at his and I had to get a ps4 for it.

The PS+ upgrade is for all PS+ users afaik, not just the ones that downloaded the PS+ edition when it was available.

DD

The problem with that demo is that you can't change any control settings like adding the dead zone or tweaking the sensitivity. Also the car is responding with a visible delay. It all pretty much makes the handling horrible and I've already removed the game from my wishlist. I heard Dirt Rally on PC is awesome, but if you're waiting for the PS4 version I recommend WRC 5 in the meantime. The graphics aren't great and the framerate isn't perfect, but it's very enjoyable to drive rally cars in that game.

Dirt Rally is bloody AWESOME.

Now, on the Driveclub subject, I asked Rushy if this next update will bring the new tracks, but no answer. :(

Ainsz

I don't see the point in the filters personally, could be fun for a bit. Don't see why not though! Can't wait to see the meat of the update.

desu

Now, on the Driveclub subject, I asked Rushy if this next update will bring the new tracks, but no answer. :(

For some reason I think people should keep their expectations in check?

If I were to release the new content I would probably release it together with Driveclub VR as new physical release. Whatever will happen, wouldn't suprise me if it takes a few more months until we see the new tracks/locations.

I have had the same issue, though not exclusive to DC just the most noticeable as a momentary lapse in a corner sends you into a wall. Thinking about it now it has always been when connected via the ethernet port and headphones plugged in as I haven't had it in the Witcher 3 for a while and when I was getting it that was when the console was connected via ethernet. Not had a problem with WiFi will have to test it out later on today.

xrnzaaas

For some reason I think people should keep their expectations in check?

If I were to release the new content I would probably release it together with Driveclub VR as new physical release. Whatever will happen, wouldn't suprise me if it takes a few more months until we see the new tracks/locations.

Geez now that you've mentioned it I really hope that DriveClub VR isn't the only "big new project" for Evo Studios this year.

ZalXII

Have you guys noticed that all cars are easier to drive now? A few weeks ago, i managed to do a new personal record at Venom Hot Lap in only a few tries. The old one was from 4 or 5 days after release and i never got this time again until this specific incident.
New time 1:13,265, old was 1:13,629. It felt dubios to begin with, because i did not noticed what i had done better now and it was only the fourth or fith try, but shook it off as: Well, maybe with time i got better at this. Basically the same speech from a few pages ago (or the old OT2, dunno).

But yesterday, i found this thread on gtplanet, especially the quoted post and everything became a little more clear:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/new-kid-in-town-global-world-records-going.339760/

Since the Bike DLC was added to Driveclub it has affected the Grip Levels an in doing so made previous Times seem not as good, apparently in testing the bikes they where harder than expected an in consquence they "accidentally" changed the car handling an grip, eb4 times are on the limit to the point that it wouldnt be possible to go 1sec faster, Recently i took a break from Driveclub an came back an updated all my WR's with ease, an i'm not a player who drives for 1st then stops, i'm only intrested in doing my ultimate lap, it was a shock how easy it was an annoying, i tried the Porsche Clubsport with 5 laps i went P1 with 1sec advantage to eb4 an tbh i wish i never bothered the time i did is irrelevant.

Some of the current so called "World Record" Laps on some tracks are ridicoulus to me (and for the people doing them) up to a point, that i'm asking myself why some poeple demand a Motorstorm with Driveclubs engine. We already have it, just look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DsJAFqVjyY
or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xq7klq7auzs

There was once a time where going offroad with 2 wheels for a glimpse or scratching a barricade destroyed your time and now you can ride on dirt and walls with laughter. The game has became a little too arcarde in my view.

nib95

Banned
Have you guys noticed that all cars are easier to drive now? A few weeks ago, i managed to do a new personal record at Venom Hot Lap in only a few tries. The old one was from 4 or 5 days after release and i never got this time again until this specific incident.
New time 1:13,265, old was 1:13,629. It felt dubios to begin with, because i did not noticed what i had done better now and it was only the fourth or fith try, but shook it off as: Well, maybe with time i got better at this. Basically the same speech from a few pages ago (or the old OT2, dunno).

But yesterday, i found this thread on gtplanet, especially the quoted post and everything became a little more clear:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/new-kid-in-town-global-world-records-going.339760/

Some of the current so called "World Record" Laps on some tracks are ridicoulus to me (and for the people doing them) up to a point, that i'm asking myself why some poeple demand a Motorstorm with Driveclubs engine. We already have it, just look at this:

There was once a time where going offroad with 2 wheels for a glimpse or scratching a barricade destroyed your time and now you can ride on dirt and walls with laughter. The game has became a little too arcarde in my view.

Wow, those examples are utterly silly. I really hope this game isn't slowly becoming casualified, because I will honestly just abandon it and/or simply end up losing interest, this coming from someone who voted it GOTY, and who has sunk more hours in to it than I have any other game this gen. This kind of nonsense is not what made Driveclub popular, nor the reason it is so revered, quite the opposite in fact. It's almost like it's becoming less driving/racing skill based, and no longer as competitively fair.

Easy mode is one thing, but giving this much off road leeway is another thing altogether. Just ridiculous.

xrnzaaas

Can't this be repaired by including only clean laps in the leaderboards? Sure, it would turn them upside down at first, but it would be better in a long run.

Can't this be repaired by including only clean laps in the leaderboards? Sure, it would turn them upside down at first, but it would be better in a long run.

Some of the later tour challenges had that clean lap requirement so they do know when you've gone off road but haven't got a corner penalty - Those laps in the vids are extreme though and will only work with quick hyper cars, I'm sure if you try following those line in something slower then you'll lose a lot of time.

A lot of the restrictions mentioned were loosened to improve the online play (which they did), maybe they should be brought back for the time trials and other offline modes.

I have had the same issue, though not exclusive to DC just the most noticeable as a momentary lapse in a corner sends you into a wall. Thinking about it now it has always been when connected via the ethernet port and headphones plugged in as I haven't had it in the Witcher 3 for a while and when I was getting it that was when the console was connected via ethernet. Not had a problem with WiFi will have to test it out later on today.

So I've definitively tracked it down to something happening with the DS4 audio output that's being caused by an active internet connection to the PS4 (ethernet AND/OR wireless).

I found last night that it's not just Driveclub-- for example, booting up Arkham Knight causes around 3 skips of audio right as the game gets to the main start screen, every single time (only with headphones plugged into the DS4). If I unplug the ethernet cable, there are no sound skips, and instead a message pops up saying that network features are unavailable.

Same thing with Driveclub. Right after booting up the game, there is a recurring audio skip, and if I unplug the ethernet and reboot the game, I get no audio skip, and in its place a message about being unable to use network features.

I had taken a break for a while, but hopped on the give DHC's challenge a go, there's no way it is easier to drive :p

Just went back to this game today and my god, I'm always amazed how good it looks. Can't wait to see how it looks on those city tracks :D

ZalXII

A lot of the restrictions mentioned were loosened to improve the online play (which they did), maybe they should be brought back for the time trials and other offline modes.
That sounds like backtracking + Evo would have to reset the Leaderboards which will anger some. Why not going a step forward by including a second time trial mode with a hardcore rule that forces players to stay between the frikkin white lines, while maintaining the current mode as "Legacy". 10 seconds penalty at the finish line for every dirty touch, be it on walls or grass/dirt. So, one Hardcore mode with new Leaderboards and a rule that nobody can afford to brake to get good times and the current mode for arcade time trials sid by side. Nobody loses anything they've done, but can participate in a new, for time trials more applicable hardcore mode.

Makikou

That sounds like backtracking + Evo would have to reset the Leaderboards which will anger some. Why not going a step forward by including a second time trial mode with a hardcore rule that forces players to stay between the frikkin white lines, while maintaining the current mode as "Legacy". 10 seconds penalty at the finish line for every dirty touch, be it on walls or grass/dirt. So, one Hardcore mode with new Leaderboards and a rule that nobody can afford to brake to get good times and the current mode for arcade time trials sid by side. Nobody loses anything they've done, but can participate in a new, for time trials more applicable hardcore mode.

I'd prefer it just would invalidate the time. Of course i would also prefer that it is 2 wheels off track rule, not just a single wheel off track.

It's a good suggestion but unfortunately I don't think it's feasible due to the extra server load (talking as a non-expert). 66 tracks x 2 (wet/dry) x 2 (cars/bikes) = 264 leaderboards to be duplicated and that's not including all the individual vehicle tables for every track & condition or the Sprint events :-(

Maybe a compromise would be to wipe the leaderboards where there's obvious advantages being taken and modify the tracks (barriers / walls / penalties) to prevent reoccurrence - I should think most tracks are fine, it's the circuits with the bigger run-off areas with the issues going off those examples in the videos.

I'd prefer it just would invalidate the time. Of course i would also prefer that it is 2 wheels off track rule, not just a single wheel off track.

This is how it should be done. Gran Turismo and Forza are very harsh with their dirtying of laps (Forza almost too much so). If Driveclub is meant to be serious as a leaderboard game then this generous lack of penalties should be fixed ASAP.

Duallusion

Hundreds of playtime hours later and DC managed to blew me away yet again when I tried Evo's club time trial challenge on Nilgiri Hills yesterday (AMG GT S). It was a genuine aesthetic joy to experience that particular lighting and weather shift.

I'd love a BMW e30 as DLC but appreciate it'll not happen cus it'd be a bit random, and it'd be hard to get one to microphone and all that stuff.

Hundreds of playtime hours later and DC managed to blew me away yet again when I tried Evo's club time trial challenge on Nilgiri Hills yesterday (AMG GT S). It was a genuine aesthetic joy to experience that particular lighting and weather shift.

You have the highest score on my friends list at 785 million (I'm a mere 168) which is just incredible :) Yep some of the lighting effects are just amazing at certain times of day, I wonder if the optimisations their looking at for Vr will mean they can push the standard game even further. Now I've seen the shadow lod switching during the intro videos (especially Tamil Nadu & Yedapalli) I'd love to see them improved.

Can you add Ai cars to private lobbies? Think I've either missed this option or it would be a great addition.

They're not in at the moment but sound like a good idea and I wouldn't have thought it would be too hard to do.

More than worth it. You'd be crazy not to go after it. Arguably the best bike experience ever.

Ehhhh...

The bikes don't feel like they have weight, and feels a bit too arcadey.

I feel PGR4 had the best motorcycle physics in any game, the bikes had weight and didn't feel like they could cut through any corner at full speed.

Still, yeah it's worth the price of admission.

Wow, those examples are utterly silly. I really hope this game isn't slowly becoming casualified, because I will honestly just abandon it and/or simply end up losing interest, this coming from someone who voted it GOTY, and who has sunk more hours in to it than I have any other game this gen. This kind of nonsense is not what made Driveclub popular, nor the reason it is so revered, quite the opposite in fact. It's almost like it's becoming less driving/racing skill based, and no longer as competitively fair.

Easy mode is one thing, but giving this much off road leeway is another thing altogether. Just ridiculous.

It's always been like this. People use off road as a means of slowing down rather than breaking, and to give them more road space.

I don't understand why the lap isn't invalidated if it isn't clean.

I'm not sure if the drift trials at the same, but they used to be, people used to use off road to make the tracks functionality wider than they should be, and then they would also reset the car for longer drifts. I think that may have changed now though, not sure.

The game is pretty bad from a TT perspective though. It's kinda' funny that the world record holders are mostly motorstorm players. There are definitely faster racers within the GT community and other racing games, but many of them aren't interested in this game because of things like the off-road lap times.

Had an Xbox One briefly and loved FH2, but never bothered with any driving games this gen on my PS4 as I had initially tried DC when it first came out for free on PS+ and hated the image quality with the screen shake effect, I basically could not stand the look of it and it felt like the whole image was just vibrating and not smooth compared to FH2 that I had been loving a few weeks before - so I wrote DC off after that and deleted it for space I needed on PS4 HDD

So anyway - someone mentioned that at some point in the future the Devs would maybe be implementing the option to turn off this screen shake effect. I kept this in the back of my mind not thinking much about it and playing other games with no real thought of ever going back to or redownloading DC ...

Fast forward however many months to a few days ago from now and I have an out of the blue craving to play some driving/racing game and now armed with a 2TB HDD in my PS4 I decided to redownload DC and see if the screen shake has been patched as was rumoured months ago. To my delight it had and I get stuck into the game for a little bit and it all clicks and yesterday I decide I need the full game and season pass ... £15.99 later and clicking to purchase more DLC than I can remember on the PS Store and I am all set.

I've only done some of the starting tutorial tour and time trial but it has its hooks in me already and I love the game.

Sorry for the long post I just noticed that the Devs post in this thread at times and wanted to show them that including small options (screen shake effect off) can totally change a customers opinion on your game and make you a sale and a new fan you would never have had and one that will likely buy your next game also.

Thanks to the Devs for patching that option in - It literally changed the whole game for me and now I can sink many hours into learning and enjoying your game and support you by buying this content and future content.

Thank you Evolution Studios.

Just got the game. Is there any point to the club stuff? Am I missing out on something if I don't partake in that stuff?

Some cars are locked to a certain club level - If you ask around on here I'm sure someone can find room for you in theirs, they probably have an inactive club member or something that doesn't play anymore.

OK the first weekly challenge is complete, thanks to everyone who took part and well done to Ainsz, DavidRicardo and Vaga for taking 1st, 2nd and 3rd places respectively. It was really competitive on there with AnythingBut narrowly missing out after leading early on.

I'll post a full list of results up later but in the meantime here's the Week 2 challenge...

https://youtu.be/7xQMXGx_n5A

Drifts aren't really my speciality so I'm sure it'll be beaten even quicker than the time trial was! Same as last time, it's invite only so if you want to take part but haven't received the challenge then let me know and I'll forward it on. Have fun!

Shaneus

Ehhhh...

The bikes don't feel like they have weight, and feels a bit too arcadey.

I feel PGR4 had the best motorcycle physics in any game, the bikes had weight and didn't feel like they could cut through any corner at full speed.

Still, yeah it's worth the price of admission.
I think you're right. Bikes in PGR4 definitely feel heavier and more "real" than in DC, despite them both obviously not being sims in any fashion.

Top Bottom