• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub PS+ Edition Has Been M.I.A. For 100 Days

Stove

Banned
I don't think it's unacceptable, it isn't like people paid money for it and didn't get it.

When you offer an optional consumer product that isn't a basic need, but rather an entertainment product or luxury good but you need to delay your product, I don't think you owe the potenial consumers something. Unless people paid money for it already in advance of course. But this isn't the case here.

So I would consider it an annoyance and an inconvenience, but not something that is unacceptable.

People paid money for PS+ with the promise of the PS+ version of Driveclub being available at the games launch. They were even saying this would be the case up until the game launched without the PS+ version. So they do owe people something. That something might just be the actual product and an apology, but they will get a lot of shit if that's all.

I don't think it's unacceptable, it isn't like people paid money for it and didn't get it.

When you offer an optional consumer product that isn't a basic need, but rather an entertainment product or luxury good but you need to delay your product, I don't think you owe the potenial consumers something. Unless people paid money for it already in advance of course. But this isn't the case here.

So I would consider it an annoyance and an inconvenience, but not something that is unacceptable.

It is unacceptable when you use the game to market ps+ and a new console launch in general.

5taquitos

Someone will say how they signed up for PS+ because of the promise of Driveclub, but that would be a silly reason to sign up for a paid service.

Amir0x

Banned
It really is a shame Sony has not lived up to their promise on this. They need to do it eventually, no matter how long it takes.

And yeah it is unacceptable. You promised a DC PS+ edition, then said you delayed it for a specific reason. Much time has passed. So either they've effectively been lying this entire time, or it's still coming. Either way is fucked up at this point, because no way it should have taken this long, and if they're lying it's a very real betrayal of customers trust.

Circinus

People paid money for PS+ with the promise of the PS+ version of Driveclub being available at the games launch. They were even saying this would be the case up until the game launched without the PS+ version. So they do owe people something. That something might just be the actual product and an apology, but they will get a lot of shit if that's all.

Yep, it's just what I edited in the post you quoted from me.

If you're in the situation where the PS+ Edition of Driveclub contributed to you subscribing to PS+ and they refuse to refund said subscription when you explain the situation, then I think that's definitely unacceptable.

Stacey

Banned
I would love to know the percentage of people that "signed up to ps+ for driveclub" knew they were getting a single country and a handful of cars and not the entire game.

5taquitos

As silly as the people that sign up for PS+ for the other free games?

Sillier, Driveclub was always a bonus for the month, and was just a small slice of the actual game. Signing up for PS+ for full games is fine, but the Driveclub PS+ version was never the full game. Getting PS+ just for a glorified demo is silly, yes.

BibiMaghoo

As the post's above Circinus. It all adds up. My purchasing decisions were altered at launch on the basis of a promise made that to this day has not been fulfilled. You cannot excuse that. They have failed their customers in a way that is far beyond a game simply being delayed, and that is objectively speaking. I defend Sony on many things, but this is just not on at all man.

Stove

Banned
Sillier, Driveclub was always a bonus for the month, and was just a small slice of the actual game. Signing up for PS+ for full games is fine, but the Driveclub PS+ version was never the full game. Getting PS+ just for a glorified demo is silly, yes.

It's silly, but they still promised that Driveclub PS+ would come, and they have yet to deliver on that promise, Furthermore, the only reason that they can't deliver on their promise is just pure incompetence. Reagrdless of how much the PS+ version of Driveclub actually matters, Sony and Evolution should still be held accountable for it

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
8Rf4NzI.png

Angel_DvA

I would love to know the percentage of people that "signed up to ps+ for driveclub" knew they were getting a single country and a handful of cars and not the entire game.

It's not the problem here, Sony made a promise, they need to stick with it and offer more for apologize for the delay, that's it.

Circinus

The PS+ thing sounds like a gimmick that somebody at Sony thought up in an elevator as a way to smooth over online multiplayer going behind a paywall for PS4. "But you get a full AAA launch game for free with your PS+ subscription!"

I really like Driveclub, but I think Sony and Evolution should have just had faith in the game for what it is and focused all their efforts and time on that rather than trying to use it as a Playstation+ subscription ploy. Now there's this cloud hanging over the game for having failed at offering something which has nothing to do with what the product actually is.

I agree with this, it's a very plausible scenario.

And I agree, it's fair when people criticize the game itself, but seeing people criticizing a game based on the availability of an stripped-down/basic/F2P that is unrelated to the quality of the actual game itself, is a bit unfortunate to see. And it must be annoying for the developers who can hardly properly gauge the feedback.

As the post's above Circinus. It all adds up. My purchasing decisions were altered at launch on the basis of a promise made that to this day has not been fulfilled. You cannot excuse that. They have failed their customers in a way that is far beyond a game simply being delayed, and that is objectively speaking. I defend Sony on many things, but this is just not on at all man.

Assuming you're talking about the purchasing decision of a PS+ subscription and you consider the initially advertised benefits and perks of the subscription unfullfilled (Driveclub PS+ Edition) and you therefore seek a refund; have you demanded a refund? Like I've said, it's definitely unacceptable in that case if they refuse to refund the PS+ subscription.

And if you aren't looking for a refund of the PS+ subscription, because you still consider the rest of the PS+ perks to be significantly worth it, can you really say the PS+ Edition of Driveclub played a big part in the purchasing decision of a PS+ subscription?

It's silly, but they still promised that Driveclub PS+ would come, and they have yet to deliver on that promise, Furthermore, the only reason that they can't deliver on their promise is just pure incompetence. Reagrdless of how much the PS+ version of Driveclub actually matters, Sony and Evolution should still be held accountable for it

I wouldn't say it's incompetence. You never know what's going under the hood. There may be significant unforeseen engineering challenges/problems.

It's not the problem here, Sony made a promise, they need to stick with it and offer more for apologize for the delay, that's it.

What do you want them to do? Releasing this game free on PSN will bring a ton of new users, which will break the game again.

What does that accomplish? You get a broken game, and the people who actually bought the game get a broken game. Now what?

Slashlen

The new Startline Tour seems perfect for a PS+ release.

That's what makes me think it's going to happen. That tour doesn't seem to make sense for a game that's already had most of it's sales and is just working on DLC. It does make sense for a Plus version where they maybe try to reboot the game's image into something other than a broken launch full of broken promises.

BibiMaghoo

Assuming you're talking about the purchasing decision of a PS+ subscription and you consider the initially advertised benefits and perks of the subscription unfullfilled (Driveclub PS+ Edition) and you therefore seek a refund; have you demanded a refund? Like I've said, it's definitely unacceptable in that case if htey refuse to refund the PS+ subscription.

Do you work in CS by any chance? I ask this because rather than see a customers inconvenience as a thing that exists outside of money, you are looking at it completely from a financial perspective. No I didn't seek a refund, because I value the service. I do not value being mislead. If I say buy this cookie and get a free Mars bar, and you buy it and I don't give you the Mars, does that mean you should ask for a refund when what you wanted was the cookie? I still lied to you. You got your cookie though. There are laws against this in many parts of the world. The name for it is false advertising. You tempt a person to buy a product with something that isn't there. That is what happened here.

What do you want them to do? Releasing this game free on PSN will bring a ton of new users, which will break the game again.

What does that accomplish? You get a broken game, and the people who actually bought the game get a broken game. Now what?

This is forum defense 101, it's just sad. It's really up to Sony and their development teams to figure out how to deliver on their promises without breaking the game, isn't it?

This isn't Sony being asked to deliver some gargantuan impossible feat, it's Sony being asked to replace their mouth with their money.

At the very least, what I'd expect from an organization of mature adults is an explanation, an apology, and a clear, dated plan of action going forward (even if that action is YOU GET NOTHING. GOOD DAY SIR). Has that happened? Are we at a point where THAT is considered an unreasonable request?

Circinus

Do you work in CS by any chance? I ask this because rather than see a customers inconvenience as a thing that exists outside of money, you are looking at it completely from a financial perspective. No I didn't seek a refund, because I value the service. I do not value being mislead. If I say buy this cookie and get a free Mars bar, and you buy it and I don't give you the Mars, does that mean you should ask for a refund when what you wanted was the cookie? I still lied to you. You got your cookie though. There are laws against this in many parts of the world. The name for it is false advertising. You tempt a person to buy a product with something that isn't there. That is what happened here.

I agree, that's absolutely a fair point. It's definitely misleading, but I still wouldn't consider it a significant issue because I can't imagine that the PS+ Edition was such a significant factor that stimulated many people to subscribe for PS+.

And no, I don't work in CS for the record.

This is forum defense 101, it's just sad. It's really up to Sony and their development teams to figure out how to deliver on their promises without breaking the game, isn't it?

This isn't Sony being asked to deliver some gargantuan impossible feat, it's Sony being asked to replace their mouth with their money.

At the very least, what I'd expect from an organization of mature adults is an explanation, an apology, and a clear, dated plan of action going forward. Has that happened? Are we at a point where THAT is considered an unreasonable request?

I agree. But you never know what problems in terms of engineering (server software engineering in this case) lie under the hood, behind the scenes.

I think an explanation, an apologize and an outline of a plan of action going forward has happened though. I definitely agree; clear communication towards the consumer is definitely a first step of a minimum level of respect for the consumer. And a minimum display of professionalism.

Here's Shuhei Yoshida's apology and message about DRIVECLUB on behalf of Evolution Studios and SCE WWS:

( https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/718571408227222 )

Angel_DvA

Nope, I want them to fix it, to get more servers and then, release it on PS+...

Definitely an egg on Sony's face. I'll wait patiently for the PS+ version until the retail version hits $20 on a sale. I'd love a lighthearted, replayable racing game to kill time on my PS4.

Kayant

Does anyone believe the PS+ version will still come ??

I think Sony will slowly forget about it.

Given the game is now a "Game as a service" that seems very unlikely.

Crazy how the core component(Online) was broken for a while at launch and still affecting it(Not 100% for PS+ to come out).

Circinus

Definitely an egg on Sony's face. I'll wait patiently for the PS+ version until the retail version hits $20 on a sale. I'd love a lighthearted, replayable racing game to kill time on my PS4.

I think it's already available for $20 at some places, isn't it?

I don't live in the US, but I've heard people reporting here on NeoGAF that they got it for $20.

Thomasnokia

Neo Member
I'm surprised that people still care about the plus edition. Hype for me died a long time ago and even though the game is cheap, I've lost all interest. They'd be better off giving the full game away than wasting resources working on the plus edition at this point.

Does anyone believe the PS+ version will still come ??

I think Sony will slowly forget about it.

I still playing PS+ driveclub some time. I really want Multiplayer have a India tracks only room for PS+ edition player.

This 100%. Just rent it people ffs.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
You people need to stop with the faux outrage over this like you're trying to show you're a savvy consumer.

Share play/rent/get it on discount if you're so desperate to play it.

Quit whiteknighting consumer rights over this, cause nobody believes for a second anybody bought PS+ for such a tiny commodity.

It's getting fucking annoying by now.

Amir0x

Banned
You people need to stop with the faux outrage over this like you're trying to show you're a savvy consumer.

Quit whiteknighting consumer rights over this, cause nobody believes for a second anybody bought PS+ for such a tiny commodity.

What a absurd comment. Are you so indebted to some faceless corporation that you would actually try to run defense for them on this indisputably shitty thing they've done?

I mean there's so much fucking dumb about this post I'm at a loss for where to start,

First, there's no "faux outrage." People actually are angry, and they have every right to be. Sony made one promise - that there would be a PS+ version on release - and then delayed it by making a second promise that it'd come when server issues were resolved. Not once, but twice customers of PS+ were either deceived (which is fucked up no matter how insignificant you want to pretend the misleading commentary was, since people are paying money for these services) or Sony still somehow has not got the server issues under control and it's really been this long and this much sheer incompetence that led it to not be on PS+ yet. Which says incredibly damning things about the PlayStation Network/Evolution's server setup, so that's almost just as bad at this point.

Secondly, pretty much everyone is a more savvy consumer than you if your twisted logic here is anything to go by, so that's not saying much.

Third, there absolutely were people who purchased PS+ partially for Driveclub PS+ edition, and you do not have the right to claim they're all bullshitting about their intentions. You have zero evidence of that, and so your comment has zero value on that score.

But it doesn't matter if they exist or not. If you are buying a service in which the company providing said service promises a specific feature, the expectation is absolutely that the consumer is allowed to get angry and continue to angrily demand they receive that feature. It is not your right nor Sony's right to say how insignificant they believe it is, because they should have kept their goddamn mouth shut and not made promises if they had no intention of fulfilling their duties.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
i still don't understand the rabid defense force ofevo here. everything about how this was handled was wrong period. share play? Yeah thats obviously the same as having it on your own console being able to play when you want,Definitely works great too for people with mediocre internet connections. evo and sony KKNOW they screwed up, not sure why sdf fights it so hard.

Gestault

Wow.

This.

I do understand, but I don't think the interest is there anymore for a lot of people. The game is very cheap as it is and I just feel the game missed its window.
No. You don't understand at all. Because you said they need to stop wasting resources working on the PS+ Edition and release the entire game.

They're not sitting there making a PS+ Edition. It is made. They're sitting there trying to get the servers into a state whereby the influx of PS+ players can be handled sufficiently.

If they give the whole game away that's not going to change the need to do that.

johnny956

Sony/Evolution screwed up bad on this. The potential lost sales by not having the PS+ at launch is one. Before launch I was on the fence and PS+ could have been a nice way to covert me to the full version. That never happened and I never bought the game.

Also still no tentative date on the PS+ version means to me they have no idea how to fix the server issues without completely redoing the game and if we do get a date it'll be quite some time when people just don't care anymore so the servers can handle it.

Slashlen

i still don't understand the rabid defense force ofevo here. everything about how this was handled was wrong period. share play? Yeah thats obviously the same as having it on your own console being able to play when you want,Definitely works great too for people with mediocre internet connections. evo and sony KKNOW they screwed up, not sure why sdf fights it so hard.

Just think of it as the same as AnimeGAF and their waifus. Only it's somehow better because corporations are "people".

BibiMaghoo

Your perception of peoples issues and reality are very different things.

Ostinatto

Sony/Evolution screwed up bad on this. The potential lost sales by not having the PS+ at launch is one. Before launch I was on the fence and PS+ could have been a nice way to covert me to the full version. That never happened and I never bought the game.

Also still no tentative date on the PS+ version means to me they have no idea how to fix the server issues without completely redoing the game and if we do get a date it'll be quite some time when people just don't care anymore so the servers can handle it.

Completely redoing the game? wut? Are you serious?

Those waiting for this version, stop and just go buy it. I don't have it because I dont own a ps4 but I played a bit at a buddies and the racing is top notch.

I think it's already available for $20 at some places, isn't it?

I don't live in the US, but I've heard people reporting here on NeoGAF that they got it for $20.

This is true got it for $20 NEW on GameStop, I think it still $20, also btw if you also complained about The Order 1886 it's $30 NEW at GameStop too for PRO members.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It's been 6 months from release. I would love to know what exactly the issue is with the servers or code. Clearly it's a pretty big issue or we would have some date or explanation

I rented the game for a time to see what the fuss was about, and basically it makes some pretty crazy server calls for a whole host of things at a time. The game is essentially a DDoS App for servers, and Sony doesn't have infinite cloud power to billion dollar magic wand away like MS can.

One of the silliest "locked behind online" features was custom liveries because they're tied to your Club. Servers down again, hope you like that stock paint, bitch!

Sony/Evolution should have bit the bullet a long time ago and adjusted whatever initial promise they made to the PS+ version being an offline only one. Now they're well and truly stuck because the extensive work to make the whole thing not a server-side apocalypse is probably beyond the skeleton crew left and not even economically a wise use of time either.

I rented the game for a time to see what the fuss was about, and basically it makes some pretty crazy server calls for a whole host of things at a time. The game is essentially a DDoS App for servers, and Sony doesn't have infinite cloud power to billion dollar magic wand away like MS can.

One of the silliest "locked behind online" features was custom liveries because they're tied to your Club. Servers down again, hope you like that stock paint, bitch!

Sony/Evolution should have bit the bullet a long time ago and adjusted whatever initial promise they made to the PS+ version being an offline only one. Now they're well and truly stuck because the extensive work to make the whole thing not a server-side apocalypse is probably beyond the skeleton crew left and not even economically a wise use of time either.
This is not true, you could always create your own liveries even offline.

le-seb

Completely redoing the game? wut? Are you serious?
I suspect the database framework and the way the game communicates with its servers had to be redesigned, because it didn't scale well. The rest of the game is okay, but that's nonetheless a huge slice of the game.

That being said, Evo have made many game and servers updates these last months, that corrected most of the problems the game still had.
I'm confident the PS+ edition may really release soon, now.

Top Bottom