• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub Review Thread.

Man, I feel so bad for Evo for the reviews this game has gotten :( the game is much better than the reviews leads one to believe.

But at the same time, all this online fuck up is absolutely ridiculous and should've been fixed a long time ago. I mean... if it's something SO SERIOUS that they can't handle themselves, they should get help from Sony. Such an important game like this being left at the stage it is now is not acceptable.

BumRush

Man, I feel so bad for Evo for the reviews this game has gotten :( the game is much better than the reviews leads one to believe.

But at the same time, all this online fuck up is absolutely ridiculous and should've been fixed a long time ago. I mean... if it's something SO SERIOUS that they can't handle themselves, they should get help from Sony. Such an important game like this being left at the stage it is now is not acceptable.

I agree with everything you wrote. My cousin bought it and I played for a little yesterday...beautiful game that probably deserves better in reviews (assuming the online component worked)...except for an online focused game that has shit online, it almost should've gotten worse reviews...

A beta REALLY would've helped.

I need to stop coming into this thread. The shut down pouncing that occurs the moment anyone offers a drab review of the game is embarrassing to this entire forum. First it was that the professional reviews got it all wrong. Now it's some users that are getting it all wrong, or they have agendas too. Everyone's got agendas and wants to hate on this game because, reasons.

Terms like "no frills racer" and "arcade" become blankets excuses for criticizing the lack of basic features, and any sort of slick presentation or customization, even though they've clearly become staples of any modern game with a decent budget. The AI is great, even though countless people complain about being rammed from behind (which the game hilariously penalizes the racer for). No one is allowed to contrast Driveclub to other racing games released before it, and point out it's deficiencies in comparison. It's all too much. I just can't.

Mods, please hand me a ban if I post in this thread again.

IcyEyes

A quote for you, because I really agree with your whole post.

This game is pretty good. I'm really enjoying it!

I need to stop coming into this thread. The shut down pouncing that occurs the moment anyone offers a drab review of the game is embarrassing to this entire forum. First it was that the professional reviews got it all wrong. Now it's some users that are getting it all wrong, or they have agendas too. Everyone's got agendas and wants to hate on this game because, reasons.

Terms like "no frills racer" and "arcade" become blankets excuses for criticizing the lack of basic features, and any sort of slick presentation or customization, even though they've clearly become staples of any modern game with a decent budget. The AI is great, even though countless people complain about being rammed from behind (which the game hilariously penalizes the racer for). No one is allowed to contrast Driveclub to other racing games released before it, and point out it's deficiencies in comparison. It's all too much. I just can't.

Whatever your excuses are, dude. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but it would be good to have something substantial to support your claims. If I go to the Forza Horizon 2 OT and say the game is bland because it's open world, do you think I wouldn't be criciticed? You can have a good open world game and you could have a bad open world game. That fact doesn't make, by itself, the game better or worse. I mean, someone comes to this thread and says: "well I played the game yesterday and yeah it's really bland". Ok... why? "Oh I mean, you can't customize your car... that sucks, how come a game in 2014 has no customization?" That is not something to support your claim... that is just an opinion and it could be wrong. A racing game DOES NOT need to have customization to be considered good. Is it a good addition? Yes it is. Better have it than not. But Evolution said many times they didn't want any customization of car parts because they want everyone playing to have the same chances. It's up to the player's skill, not to the parts he was able to buy for his ride.

Whatever your excuses are, dude. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but it would be good to have something substantial to support your claims. If I go to the Forza Horizon 2 OT and say the game is bland because it's open world, do you think I wouldn't be criciticed? You can have a good open world game and you could have a bad open world game. That fact doesn't make, by itself, the game better or worse. I mean, someone comes to this thread and says: "well I played the game yesterday and yeah it's really bland". Ok... why? "Oh I mean, you can't customize your car... that sucks, how come a game in 2014 has no customization?" That is not something to support your claim... that is just an opinion and it could be wrong. A racing game DOES NOT need to have customization to be considered good. Is it a good addition? Yes it is. Better have it than not. But Evolution said many times they didn't want any customization of car parts because they want everyone playing to have the same chances. It's up to the player's skill, not to the parts he was able to buy for his ride.

So my chrome wheels make me go faster?

You know that's not what he's talking about. If the game had customizations and only the wheels were changeable, people would complain it was incomplete. Either you have full customization or you do not, I guess.

In that case it makes sense, they want the cars to reflect real world performance. I thought maybe people were complaining because you couldn't do much aside from changing the color of paint, Maybe they want the ability to do custom paint jobs, add mags, cosmetic sort of things.

because they want everyone playing to have the same chances. It's up to the player's skill, not to the parts he was able to buy for his ride.

I wonder if Evolution played the Forza 4 demo and the full game. The demo was based around rivals mode and it was fantastic, good enough to make me pre-order the game just for that mode. Then the game was released and rivals was a bloated mess and I played it a handful of times and never bothered with it again. I always thought the reason it wasn't as good was because of the customisation and limitations they imposed on the mode.

In that case it makes sense, they want the cars to reflect real world performance. I thought maybe people were complaining because you couldn't do much aside from changing the color of paint, Maybe they want the ability to do custom paint jobs, add mags, cosmetic sort of things.

You know, he actually sent me a pm since he's not posting here anymore, and I agree with him. Customization can mean a LOT of things. So yeah. The game is pretty basic indeed. But I like it the way it is. Gameplay is addictive as hell :)

ok that part made lol

no such thing as "professional reviews" btw

Pryor

DC makes a lot more sense if you stop comparing it to games like GT and Forza and just look at it as an evolution (I know) of PGR 4.

For me it is really that simple. Now if you excuse me I has cars to drive!

Rodelero

They aren't blanket excuses, they're just truths. This is, undeniably, an arcade racer. This is, undeniably, a no frills racer. I'm okay with the former, as someone who enjoys the entire breadth of the genre, and I'm loving the latter. This game has been slaughtered by the media because, quite simply, they didn't give any time to try and understand what it is.

The remarks about AI found in countless reviews are simple proof of just how little attention the reviewers were paying. I will not deny that the AI does get into plenty of scrapes compared to the AI in many other racing games, but, it's also one of the first racing games I've played for a long time where the AI is really racing me. Certainly, the comment that I saw multiple times, that the AI is too interested in sticking to its racing line, is absolutely untrue.

Noobcraft

Worse imo. I'm seriously considering trading it in already (like tomorrow). The content just isn't there and the gameplay isn't anything special. I'm glad other people like it though.

Harmen

Too bad about the reviews. Still, I do not like open world racing (exept for messing around in games like GTA) and hope to see more AAA track racers. And I still think I will enjoy this.

One of the main gripes seems to be the lack of content. Seeing as Motorstorm 1 was also very bare bones I have faith this will be adressed in an eventual sequel.

VanWinkle

Worse imo. I'm seriously considering trading it in already (like tomorrow). The content just isn't there and the gameplay isn't anything special. I'm glad other people like it though.

What do you mean the content isn't there? You couldn't be talking about the number of tracks because there are loads of those. Maybe too few cars? Have you even unlocked all the ones we have? Do you like this style of racer? If so, what makes gameplay in this one more stale?

Noobcraft

What do you mean the content isn't there? You couldn't be talking about the number of tracks because there are loads of those. Maybe too few cars? Have you even unlocked all the ones we have? Do you like this style of racer? If so, what makes gameplay in this one more stale?
I like sim-cade racers, its just that in Driveclub all the races feel the same. Regardless of which location you race, the track surfaces (and designs) feel identical. Going from a clean road to a semi dirt road in india handles exactly the same as the mountain roads in Norway and Canada. Fwd and rwd cars all seem to feel and handle similarly, and the multiplayer component (the biggest draw for me) doesn't work 90% of the time. I just don't have the patience to put up with the grind to unlock the cars because each race feels the same as the last.

Racing games I like include:
GT5, Forza Motorsport 5 (post Nürburgring), Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (Remake and original), Need for Speed Underground, Need for Speed Most Wanted (GameCube era), Forza Horizon 2 (FH1 was OK), Burnout series (especially Paradise), and Mario Kart series.

Shaneus

I like sim-cade racers, its just that in Driveclub all the races feel the same. Regardless of which location you race, the track surfaces (and designs) feel identical. Going from a clean road to a semi dirt road in india handles exactly the same as the mountain roads in Norway and Canada. Fwd and rwd cars all seem to feel and handle similarly, and the multiplayer component (the biggest draw for me) doesn't work 90% of the time. I just don't have the patience to put up with the grind to unlock the cars because each race feels the same as the last.

Racing games I like include:
GT5, Forza Motorsport 5 (post Nürburgring), Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (Remake and original), Need for Speed Underground, Need for Speed Most Wanted (GameCube era), Forza Horizon 2 (FH1 was OK), Burnout series (especially Paradise), and Mario Kart series.
Yeah, I think it's because all those games have some kind of a career/progression mode in them... at least, considerably more meaty ones than those in DC. DC is much more about repetition and improving skills in any given situation (like time trials) and then bettering yourself, where most of those I never really got that feeling... only enough to keep me completing events.

If you want to check boxes, complete specific given tasks and progress through a "career", then Driveclub won't be the game for you (and is partially why I suspect it got some low scores/average reviews). It's more about pushing yourself and others (in the case of MP) in any given situation selected by an end user.

sangreal

Yeah, I think it's because all those games have some kind of a career/progression mode in them... at least, considerably more meaty ones than those in DC. DC is much more about repetition and improving skills in any given situation (like time trials) and then bettering yourself, where most of those I never really got that feeling... only enough to keep me completing events.

If you want to check boxes, complete specific given tasks and progress through a "career", then Driveclub won't be the game for you (and is partially why I suspect it got some low scores/average reviews). It's more about pushing yourself and others (in the case of MP) in any given situation selected by an end user.

Getting low scores for that isn't really something unique to driveclub. Any game where the goals are tied entirely to leaderboards is not likely to score well in 2014 -- especially a full price game

Shaneus

Getting low scores for that isn't really something unique to driveclub. Any game where the goals are tied entirely to leaderboards is not likely to score well in 2014 -- especially a full price game
Oh, my point exactly. If there's not something you can intrinsically measure progress in a game against, there's a good chance it'll have points docked for it. Goals/signs/bucket lists a la Horizon 2? It's a reviewer's wet dream. We're in a completionist age where people want to look for the 100 drug packages (a la GTA), orbs (Crackdown), Pokemon, loot or otherwise get 100% in something. DC doesn't cater to any of that at all beyond accessing all the cars and liveries (which can be accessed via grinding in time trials if one really wanted).

It's why I reckon traditionally PC-based sim-racer fans would have a blast with DC. There's none of that forced progression or tickboxes like pretty much every sim on the market... it's all about improving yourself via time trials and competing online.

I was a bit miffed playing Driveclub yesterday, for the first time.

Gave it a second go today, and now it's just perfect. One of the first things you should do is turn the OSD off completely. It's a bit scary without the map, but you'll be fine.

The graphics and light are so amazing, the sense of speed is great, control is great. It's just exactly the game I expected now. Fantastic graphics with driving bliss. All I need.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Sorry if I missed it posted earlier, but have any reviewers actually gone back and lowered the original score, a la Polygon, since the server issues? I would not be shocked at this point, and it would be doing the customer a disservice to leave these problems unaddressed.

ok that part made lol

no such thing as "professional reviews" btw

When people write reviews as their job, when it is their profession, then there are professional reviews. Just as there are professional fire fighters, professional wrestlers and professional skateboarders. Professional is not a mark of quality, it is a designation of receiving payment for the work.

But at least you had your sarcastic LOL.You must be so proud.

p3tran

Banned

I have the full game since 3-4 days.

I completed everything there is in single player (just a bunch of menus to pick a race in reality)
and, because I really wanted and tried hard and had patience, I have had my share of online racing too.

I could write a very elaborate review, naming one by one what this game does and does not.
but only thinking about the kind of replies I will get, I will refrain from doing so. ever!!

:)

I have the full game since 3-4 days.

I completed everything there is in single player (just a bunch of menus to pick a race in reality)
and, because I really wanted and tried hard and had patience, I have had my share of online racing too.

I could write a very elaborate review, naming one by one what this game does and does not.
but only thinking about the kind of replies I will get, I will refrain from doing so. ever!!

:)

OK cool, I did the same for FH2, I decided to refrain from posting a review for the same exact reason.

I completely agree, bolded for emphasis! I actually intended to login today to tell people to at least play with the Lotus car before judging this game. The race was actually heart pounding. Pure adrenaline. I loved it!

The AI feels right too. It's aggressive in the sense they want to win the race, not sabotage you. This is the most fun I've had with a racing game in a long time.

I have a feeling the demo version will convert a lot of people into buying this.

Glad to hear someone else feels the same! We're making it sound like the driving game equivalent of FFXIII: "It gets better after 20 hours!" has become "Wait till the Lotus!". Which is only 2-3 hours in at most, so don't take my metaphor too literally people!

I'm not nuanced on driving AI so I can't comment, but I can say that I haven't noticed anything super annoying about them.

Yes the demo is key. I believe most people who are on the fence due to reviews will jump over once they experience the demo. Shame Evolution missed the boat on that though, they really needed it at launch considering the reception the game got.

That sounds like almost every track-based racing game ever made.

Gotta admit, I am curious about your findings ;p

He made an elaborate post in the FH2 thread that people should be tarred and feathered for commenting on the XB1's power now that FH2 was released. I'm assuming he thinks that will happen to him here.

chico

i refuse to drive the beetle. i hate it. sadly the Golf is only for people driving in clubs... 6 days and still couldnt connect to the servers once. :/

Jimrpg

I am baffled at how anyone can call Driveclub soulless.

I HATE that the reviews called it soulless. Was it Gertsmann? He's so wrong on this. It just sounds like he didn't care much for it.

This is such an amazing racing game, I just don't think he gets it. The tracks are really well designed and the vistas are just stunning, everything looks 10x better with the global illumination system AND the fact that there are various times of days and time lapse and weather IS the HEART of Driveclub, I don't think any racer does this as well. And that's the whole point of the game, that minor variations in the race and weather conditions can lead to a completely different race. That's innovation and creativity.

p3tran

Banned
That sounds like almost every track-based racing game ever made.

Gotta admit, I am curious about your findings ;p

I will write what I really liked, so that will make things simple.

-There are a couple of those fantasy tracks that are very interesting to race on.
-There are some very nice details like the light refractors on the guard rails and the illuminating red lights alongside that road at night.
-Flyovers at start of each race are beautiful.
-Even though before playing the game, the rear cam (where the car looks so fat and big) and the new in-car cam (the one in front of the wheel) I was thinking I am going to enjoy the most, still its hood cam and bumper cam for me. I enjoy the most in those views. speed-wise and gameplay-wise, my preferred.
-Some of the visuals in not ordinary time of day (ie not sunshine) are great to look at. (not as great to play to)

Nyx

I HATE that the reviews called it soulless. Was it Gertsmann? He's so wrong on this. It just sounds like he didn't care much for it.

Eurogamer said ''no romance, no passion''

It's the worst review from them I've read in a long time...

Pug

This is such an amazing racing game, I just don't think he gets it. The tracks are really well designed and the vistas are just stunning, everything looks 10x better with the global illumination system AND the fact that there are various times of days and time lapse and weather IS the HEART of Driveclub, I don't think any racer does this as well. And that's the whole point of the game, that minor variations in the race and weather conditions can lead to a completely different race. That's innovation and creativity.

There are other racing games that do weather that change the driving characteristics. Drive club is not innovating at all in these areas. Besides the fact there no weather in the game at the moment bar the sun getting in your eyes and Forza already does that (and it just as irritating). What Drive club is for me, is a competent arcade based racer.

Footos22

Dunno why people take notice of reviews anyway.
Its one persons opinion who isn't even playing it for fun they are playing it to actively look for flaws in which they rush through to meet deadlines.

If you like the look of the game before it releases, more often than not you're gonna enjoy it.
The internet will actively try and find any excuse to shit on something its just the way we are same as hyping up something they've never even played before.

Same with film reviews. Who takes notice of that

Watched turtles at the weekend expecting the absolute worst because of the reviews. Proper enjoyed it even though megan fox acting is as ugly as her thumbs.

7/10 is not a bad score anyway, that's about the norm these days.

I like horizon a ton but ive not touched it in about a week as the thought of having to drive somewhere just to get to an event puts me off i need time for a game like that, time a 30 year old dad hasn't got. Something driveclub caters for very well and look forward to pickign it up as soon as the server issues are sorted.

same as destiny. go on do the daily, then the nightfall and weekly once a week, Is perfect for me.

So I paid for the full version, and have now had a weekend to get to grips with it and form an opinion. So far I'm not overly impressed. It's just ok, nothing special. Just ok.

Sure, the racing is fun and there is a great sense of speed. I like the verticality of some of the tracks and the game can look really pretty, especially at night.

On the other hand, it's not half as pretty as I was led to believe it would be, and can actually look really quite ugly at times. The aliasing is awful. It completely ruins the look of the game for me.

The AI can be annoyingly aggressive, but no more so than a lot of the people you come across playing racing games online. It is a bit shitty to hand out a penalty when a car hits you from behind though. That has caused me to get a bit frustrated at times.

The ongoing server issues are also a huge downer. The fact that I have not been able to connect online once since Thursday night is a disgrace. This game has been promoted as a connected, online experience, and for that not to work almost a week after release is unforgivable.

I get that Driveclub isn't going for the same feel as GT or Forza and is 'no frills', as some posters have referred to it, but what people seem to fail to realise is that it is possible to just 'pick up and play' both Forza and GT just like Driveclub. Basically, they do everything DC does, and more.

If I was reviewing DC and had to give it a score, I'd be inclined to give it a 7/10. If I was being really harsh and taking the server problems into account, I'd give it a 5/10,but I know that Sony and Evolution will get them fixed eventually. DC is a decent racing game but doesn't excel at anything to consider it good. There is a fair bit of competition in the genre, and the standard is very high. In my opinion, the only reason DC is so hyped is that it's the first pure racing game to come out on PS4. Had GT7 been out already, I think reviews of DC would have been even more critical of it's bare bones approach.

I get that Driveclub isn't going for the same feel as GT or Forza and is 'no frills', as some posters have referred to it, but what people seem to fail to realise is that it is possible to just 'pick up and play' both Forza and GT just like Driveclub. Basically, they do everything DC does, and more.
They really don't though. Neither of those games have these kinds of tracks, much less these kinds of tracks with varying conditions. Their cockpit views are tame in comparison, and the rivals and challenges are not universally based upon stock conditions, which makes a huge difference to the competitive character of the game.

Not that those other games are in any way worse for their choices and options, but they aren't doing what DC is.

Nyx

They really don't though. Neither of those games have these kinds of tracks, much less these kinds of tracks with varying conditions. Their cockpit views are tame in comparison, and the rivals and challenges are not universally based upon stock conditions, which makes a huge difference to the competitive character of the game.

Not that those other games are in any way worse for their choices and options, but they aren't doing what DC is.

And let's not forget those loadingtimes.

I can't remember a GT or Forza loading up a race in 2 seconds after selecting ''Restart''.

Fair enough on the tracks, but the cockpit view is present in other games and is certainly comparable, and DC does not do it sufficiently better to call them tame. Remember Forza is operating at twice the frame rate too.

The challenges have been irrelevant so far for me as they don't work right now because I can't get online. Personally, I think Forza's drivatars add more to the competitive side of the game, and GT has far better car models.

Of course, DC isn't identical to the others, but it's close enough that it is fair to compare it to them.

RetroStu

Banned
Meh. To me Driveclub is the most immersive racing experience on the market. I am a racing buff and I have played them all. But no racing game captures the essence of driving a high powered car like Driveclub does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWRKy6saQiU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF9W6rQ0c8g

Check out these 2 videos I made. I am baffled at how anyone can call Driveclub soulless.

Didn't Evolution themselves even say that they expected bad reviews?, thats not a good sign really.

This game reminds me of the first MotorStorm. Amazing looking but very little content. The only difference is that MotorStorm wasn't delayed a year.

IcyEyes

I'm playing a lot this game right now ... I can't still believe this game have a so "low" metacritic. This game is pretty excellent and despite the server issues, I hope will sell a lot.

And let's not forget those loadingtimes.

I can't remember a GT or Forza loading up a race in 2 seconds after selecting ''Restart''.

This is pretty amazing. Helps so much the gameplay itself!

p3tran

Banned
I like horizon a ton but ive not touched it in about a week as the thought of having to drive somewhere just to get to an event puts me off i need time for a game like that, time a 30 year old dad hasn't got. Something driveclub caters for very well and look forward to pickign it up as soon as the server issues are sorted.
if you can accept a word of advice from an older dude than you :) you can do exactly the same quick menu-jump-to-the-game thing in horizon too.
in fact, its much more elaborate while more analytical too at the same time.
just hit "start", then press three times the RB.
that should bring you to "RIVALS" menu, where everything is just a button press away:
you got an entire section with PERSONAL rivalries (ie your friend beat you at that event, press a button to beat his ghost), named "My Rivals".
then, right next to that, you've got your "FESTIVAL ROUTES" right next to it, offering DIRECT access to anything, anywhere. pick a location, and the list of events under that location is there for you to pick with a button.
but thats not all, because right next to that, is the "SHOWCASES" option, where again with the press of a button you immediately go to any showcase event.
Aaand on top of those, you've got the "MONTHLY RIVALS" on that same screen, where you can compete in the monthly rival events that playground sets. again, with the press of a button.
oh, and full analytical stats for everything you and your rivals do. on that same page.

plus of course, if you progress a little bit in the main game itself, pretty soon you will be able to fast travel anywhere in the world you like for free. its one of the progress unlocks.
but assuming you will never play to unlock this, you should just try going to that rivals menu I describe above for the functionality you ask for.

Top Bottom