• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dropquest II (Dropbox scavenger hunt for free space)

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

http://blog.dropbox.com/?p=1194&

Many of you were around for last year’s Dropquest, where we sent y’all on a magical journey through Dropbox and the interwebs. Wordokus were solved, music puzzles were deciphered, origami cranes were folded, and dragons were slain. All in all, nearly half a million Dropquesters were rewarded for their craftiness, skill, and effort. That was well over a year ago, and since then we’ve been holding our cards and toiling away to craft a Dropquest successor worthy of the first.

What is Dropquest? Dropquest is a multi-step scavenger hunt that has you solve a series of puzzles (inspired by the likes of MIT’s Mystery Hunt or Notpron [though not nearly as time/effort-consuming]). Everyone who completes Dropquest will get at least 1 GB of extra free space, even if you participated last year. Also, everyone starts at the same time, but the questers who finish the soonest get amazing prizes!

1st place (1) Dropbox employee hoodie, LIMITED EDITION Dropbox Hack Week t-shirt, Dropbox drawing signed by the entire Dropbox team, invitation to help write the next Dropquest, 100 GB for life!
2nd place (10) Dropbox employee hoodie, Dropbox t-shirt, 20 GB for life!
3rd place (15) Dropbox t-shirt, 5 GB for life!
4th place (50) 2 GB for life!
5th place (100) 1 GB for life!

Any rules? This year, we won’t tolerate use of our support, forums, or blog for Dropquest hints or answers — our wonderful mods and support team would really appreciate it. In fact, you’ll probably get disqualified if we catch you doing this!

When is it? Dropquest starts Saturday, May 12, at 10AM PST (17:00 GMT). Don’t be late.

Go here at the above date and time: http://www.dropbox.com/dropquest2012

2011 thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=25429867

Enco

Did they decrease the space this year?

I'm sure it was more than 1GB last year.

edit: maybe not.

Should be fun!

Dropbox said:
Any rules? This year, we won’t tolerate use of our support, forums, or blog for Dropquest hints or answers — our wonderful mods and support team would really appreciate it. In fact, you’ll probably get disqualified if we catch you doing this!

So... yea.

Poyunch

Hope someone here posts a hefty guide. My mom hates crowds so the family's celebrating Mother's Day on Saturday and I'm probably going to be gone most of the day. :(

10 am PST... so like 12 pm Central Standard Time?

I've been real psyched for this cause I've been reading 'Ready Player One' that's kind of similar in nature to this hunt.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Chapter 1's puzzle wasn't so bad.

Start with

3x8
4x6

Then

Then since we're keeping whole numbers for the fourth digit (half the second digit)...we can eliminate the first last sequence:

46_3
64_2
38_4

From there it's easy to figure out.

The product of the first two digits is 24.

The fourth digit is half of the second digit.

The sum of the last two digits is the same as the sum of the first and third digits.

The sum of all the digits is 26.

The second and third digits add up to the last digit.

In order to get the computer to read it, I'll need to add a file of the password's name to my Dropquest folder, then view that file from the Dropbox website. (For example, if your answer is 12345, add 12345.txt to your Dropquest folder)

*head assplodes* :(

clav

Clues are different for everyone.

Questions are differet. My question for the last one is:

"The second digit is greater than the last digit."

This is what I have as well. I tried something, but the system created a folder called "Captain's logs" with what appears to be a text file with an error message.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Tempted, but that would require me to vacate my throne (toilet) and head to my computer. Using the google adwords referral trick netted me far greater space and nearly no effort.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Oh snap. They changed it up. :lol...

The captain's log has nothing. They update the file with the password your create with instructions for the next clue. I have:

Damage report:

3 parts critically damaged:

- spectroscopic dielectric amplifier
- plasmonic hypercapacitor
- super-special, quantum, sapphire Dropbox core (55% intact)

Vehicle is still flight-ready.

To replace the core, please consult the engineering team staff directory (http://www.dropbox.com/about) for further instructions.

1. Someone with six letters in their first name (including 2 capital letters).
2. Someone with an initial instead of their last name.
3. Someone who's a recruiter.
4. Someone who wears glasses.
5. Someone who's next-door neighbors with an animal.

Now, I don't know if I'm supposed to get one person that has ALL of these qualities or 5 people that have one of those qualities individually.

Kwhit10

Oh snap. They changed it up. :lol...

The captain's log has nothing. They update the file with the password your create with instructions for the next clue. I have:

Now, I don't know if I'm supposed to get one person that has ALL of these qualities or 5 people that have one of those qualities individually.

Yea I've only found one person who's blurd mentions this time machine.

Red

I have the right answer but nothing is happening when I view it. Does it have to be saved as a specific type of file? Mine is an rtf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom