• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dropquest II (Dropbox scavenger hunt for free space)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

they didn't, though :)

Exactly, which is why I'm a little bummed that we got quoted riddle from a gaffer instead of an answer or even real help.

"The nth letter of each log" lolwut. I went through text files picking up individual letters, when I actually needed the whole word that started with the 9th letter. Or the Nth letter? what does Nth mean?

I still dont understand that hint. Whatevs, all done now

CoG

Never got past the damn slider puzzle. Oh well, picked up 350GB and already got 16GB extra from referrals.

So what rank do the prizes go up to?

1st place (1) Dropbox employee hoodie, LIMITED EDITION Dropbox Hack Week t-shirt, Dropbox drawing signed by the entire Dropbox team, invitation to help write the next Dropquest, 100 GB for life
2nd place (10) Dropbox employee hoodie, Dropbox t-shirt, 20 GB for life
3rd place (15) Dropbox t-shirt, 5 GB for life
4th place (50) 2 GB for life
5th place (100) 1 GB for life

Adamm

So what rank do the prizes go up to?

1st place (1): Dropbox employee hoodie, LIMITED EDITION Dropbox Hack Week t-shirt, Dropbox drawing signed by the entire Dropbox team, invitation to help write the next Dropquest, 100 GB for life!
2nd place (10): Dropbox employee hoodie, Dropbox t-shirt, 20 GB for life!
3rd place (15): Dropbox t-shirt, 5 GB for life!
4th place (50): 2 GB for life!
5th place (100): 1 GB for life!

So....176th?

Although i got 1gb extra and i finished 2000th-ish

Enco

Thanks for the GB Dropbox.

It was a cool ride. Although I got a lot of help from here and the big google docs file.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Exactly, which is why I'm a little bummed that we got quoted riddle from a gaffer instead of an answer or even real help.

"The nth letter of each log" lolwut. I went through text files picking up individual letters, when I actually needed the whole word that started with the 9th letter.

I still dont understand that hint. Whatevs, all done now

The first word of the first log
The second word of the second log
The third word of the third log
The fourth word of the fourth log
The nth word of the nth log

Common CS/Math vocab.

Biff

The first word of the first log
The second word of the second log
The third word of the third log
The fourth word of the fourth log
The nth word of the nth log

Common CS/Math vocab.

What did order logs by size mean then? Just data size right?

Kazerei

Banned
1st place (1) Dropbox employee hoodie, LIMITED EDITION Dropbox Hack Week t-shirt, Dropbox drawing signed by the entire Dropbox team, invitation to help write the next Dropquest, 100 GB for life
2nd place (10) Dropbox employee hoodie, Dropbox t-shirt, 20 GB for life
3rd place (15) Dropbox t-shirt, 5 GB for life
4th place (50) 2 GB for life
5th place (100) 1 GB for life

Heh yeah, everyone who won prizes deserved them. People waiting for the answer to get posted online weren't going to win anything special.

But we all did get +1GB, which is great :)

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Heh yeah, everyone who won prizes deserved them. People waiting for the answer to get posted online weren't going to win anything special.

But we all did get +1GB, which is great :)

I'm willing to bet that the majority of the people that won prizes had help along the way. Maybe even for the last one, considering there were 177 prizes.

Kazerei

Banned
What did order logs by size mean then? Just data size right?

From the crossword we got the hints "order logs by size" and "nine letter words".

So if you order logs by size and search for nine letter words, you'll get this

Log 6: Nominally
Log 10: Timepiece
Log 8: Histories
Log 7: Weirdness
Log 1: Obnoxious
Log 13: Rebounded
Log 2:Dominated
Log 18: Seemingly
etc.

The first letters spell out the next hint, which is "Nth words of logs by chapter".

So if you do that, it spells out this

Particle Physicist

Windows would just say "1KB" or whatever the cluster size is. You can still sort by size, using the terminal or by looking at the file sizes and doing it manually (preview view in Finder should say "153 bytes", "100 bytes", etc)

I tried sorting it by size but it just reversed the order. preview just shows 4KB. I'm on Snow Leopard, if that matters. I gave up on actual file size because I thought they were all the same. :.(

EDIT

If I hit more info it shows the actual size... it still wouldn't sort it though. :(

Lexxon

Man, that last last one was a killer. Also I must have clicked size twice, because it turns out the 'nth word' message was spelled out in reverse...so I didn't see it at all.

Was fun, all. As others, I got most of my info from the Doc and this thread--I started late so I cheated on most of the early ones, especially all of the encryption chapters.

I'm going to end up looking forward to this every year! Even without winning anything (except the gimme-GB of course), solving the puzzles that I did (and communicating with you guys on figuring out two of the late ones) was a blast. Internet hive-mind at its best.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I tried sorting it by size but it just reversed the order. preview just shows 4KB. I'm on Snow Leopard, if that matters. I gave up on actual file size because I thought they were all the same. :.(

EDIT

If I hit more info it shows the actual size... it still wouldn't sort it though. :(

You are capable of sorting things on your own or at the Terminal :p

Cyan

Banned

I posted the crossword answers immediately as I solved them.
I came back to post the "nth words" clue from the size-ordered logs, but GAF was down.
Solved (part of) the nth word thing, went googling madly for the answer just in case I was first.

I used the quote thing so as to keep it within GAF.

So again, sorry to those who think I should've spilled the answer right away. But I definitely was trying to help on the last one.

Particle Physicist

I came back to post the "nth words" clue from the size-ordered logs, but GAF was down.
Solved (part of) the nth word thing, went googling madly for the answer just in case I was first.

So again, sorry to those who think I should've spilled the answer right away. But I definitely was trying to help on the last one.

I was just ribbing you man, it's all cool :)

Biff

Yeah I'm finally caught up now and see that the nth word thing was from Dropbox. I must have accidentally clicked 'order by size' twice because now I see that nth word thing too, had it backwards and couldn't figure out wtf it was trying to say.

Sorry, I thought you made your own riddle up to guide us. I see now you weren't.

Lexxon

That's a quarter million unique viewers?

Us and Slickdeals were linked in the Google Doc and probably elsewhere. This was a pretty active thread with some early solutions. (Plus, the 4th place winner, Cyan! Congrats!) I bet there were a ton of folks lurking for answers ASAP. I doubt anyone who didn't have a friend doing it beside them/on private chat got in the top ~150, as I didn't see the final answer posted until it was too late.

OatmealMu

Not sure what's going on with Chapter 19. I tried repairing but it seemed to take me back a chapter while saying I was still on Chapter 19. Ah, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom