• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ds stuff from EGM......needs confirmation.

From Menashe at ign forums:

"In the back of the newest EGM there are a lot of cool new quotes from famous developers. Here's what's turned up from some big names (no actual quotes from the mag, just summaries of the conversations):

Super Monkey Ball's Toshihiro Nagoshi-
Nintendo asked him to make a Super Monkey Ball game and he says he was interested in making it.

Baten Kaitos' Shinji Noguchi-
Says users would love to have Baten Kaitos on the DS. A card based game like BK would work well with the touch panel.

Castlevania's Koji Igarashi-
Confirmed a Castlevania game for the DS with the same style gameplay as Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for GBA. (Also says touch-screen is likely to get greasy after kids eat food and then play DS.

Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden's Tomonobu Itagaki-
Says DS is better than PSP. Confirms game being made for DS along with his daughter who is a major Nintendo fan.

Sonic's Yuji Naka-
Nintendo asked him to make a Chu-Chu Rocket game for DS. He also confirmed a game called Project RUB which is a brand new genre but otherwise secret.

Also the Silent Hill Director says he wants to make a Silent Hill game but a portable isn't good for scary games so it'll probably be a Silent Hill which is more shooting oriented.

Also the Final Fantasy director and the Contra director both said they will make games for DS once they figure out how to implement new ways to use its features. "

Can anyone confirm this?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden's Tomonobu Itagaki-
Says DS is better than PSP. Confirms game being made for DS along with his daughter who is a major Nintendo fan.

Will she star in a future DOA? :)

Nester

Bluemercury said:
Sonic's Yuji Naka-
Nintendo asked him to make a Chu-Chu Rocket game for DS.

Please yes with Online play. Would work much better then the GBA version now that there's a Dpad plus 4 button diamond configuration for placing arrows.

skip

if you're asking for confirmation that this is in the new EGM, then yes. these quotes are in the new EGM.

Theres a DS/PSP thing on the very last page of the issue I have, but I don't see the quotes. I haven't really looked through the whole mag though...

mj1108

Bluemercury said:
From Menashe at ign forums:

"In the back of the newest EGM there are a lot of cool new quotes from famous developers. Here's what's turned up from some big names (no actual quotes from the mag, just summaries of the conversations):

Super Monkey Ball's Toshihiro Nagoshi-
Nintendo asked him to make a Super Monkey Ball game and he says he was interested in making it.

Sonic's Yuji Naka-
Nintendo asked him to make a Chu-Chu Rocket game for DS. He also confirmed a game called Project RUB which is a brand new genre but otherwise secret.

Both of these need to be online. Chu Chu Rocket + Monkey Ball online = ROCK!

Alcibiades

I hope people that read this know it's fake without having to be told...

edit: just think about it, wouldn't this have made news when the EGM scores came out?

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Confirmed a Castlevania game for the DS with the same style gameplay as Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for GBA. (Also says touch-screen is likely to get greasy after kids eat food and then play DS.
Haha.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oh man, if they make another Chu Chu Rocket with online, I am so there

efralope said:

edit: just think about it, wouldn't this have made news when the EGM scores came out?

skip said:
if you're asking for confirmation that this is in the new EGM, then yes. these quotes are in the new EGM.

skip

efralope said:

EGM #181 - August 2004 - p.96

efralope said:

skip said:
if you're asking for confirmation that this is in the new EGM, then yes. these quotes are in the new EGM

Kon Tiki

Banned

PSP will likely get sticky if any 'good' movies come to UMD.

Alcibiades

woops, I posted before I saw what Skip said hmmm... that's suspicious, wouldn't a Castlevanis DS be like, big news or something, wouldn't 1up.com and every other website be clamoring to mention this?

when the hell is someone gonna find out what Kojima thinks of the DS already? i'd sooooo love for him to make a text adventure game for the system. it would be such a ridiculous match made in heaven.

think about how awesome that would be with the touch screen, not to mention that he'd probably have some really stylish cinemas that jump from one screen to another.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I remember something about Castlevania DS being posted during/around E3. Not like it's a surprise anyway

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
that castlevania belongs on psp. :( i want a metroidvania that can match or exceed sotn in every respect.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
drohne said:
that castlevania belongs on psp. :( i want a metroidvania that can match or exceed sotn in every respect.

well, if tis n64 quality, thats better than ps1 quality right?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
not last i checked. certainly the music won't be ps1 quality. and the resolution will be similar to the gba's. bleh. although i suppose i can look forward to easy map and menu access!

perhaps they'll do one for psp as well.

drohne said:

Well Castlevania on PSP would probably end in a 3d version a la LOI which is probably the worst Castlevania after the n64 ones......at least on DS it will probably be a la SOTN....

BuddyC

I remember hearing that Iga wasn't too fond of the DS, of course, this was before he'd actually seen it in person. I'll talk to Pat and clear that up.

FriScho

Nintendo asks 3rd Parties to do certain games for their system? What? Hasn't it been the other way round all those years?

Soul4ger

If this is true, WOW! I find it surprising that even the Silent Hill producer is behind the thing?! This is more support than even I expected.

Bluemercury said:
Well Castlevania on PSP would probably end in a 3d version a la LOI which is probably the worst Castlevania after the n64 ones......at least on DS it will probably be a la SOTN....

What makes you think that? Basically every game announced for the DS is 3D. It's a 3D machine just as the PSP is. And that's basically going to be what type of game is announced for each system.

Memles

Sounds like some solid software announcements there, I'd say. Would consider Chu Chu, Monkey Ball if Online, only Monkey Ball if not. But still, some solid support from people who know what they're doing. Key.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Why do I miss all the good DS threads? :(

Anyway, remember the developer list? Remember the quotes from developers from the Nintendo E3 conference? One of the strong points of the NDS has always been the strong support for it in the development community. Hell, at E3 the big N dubbed the NDS Nintendo Developer's System. They did that for a reason.

Memories are short :)

Last I checked, the DS isn't N64 quality 'cept maybe in the area of poly count, and SotN wasn't exactly a poly-heavy game.

Low-res and software-based effects certainly won't add up to a SotN-beating experience, visually.

Are the DS' specs final? If not, here's to hoping that Nintendo will at least achieve N64-level filtering. I already knew I was getting this system...if only to play GBA games on a bigger screen. More Chu-Chu Rocket is always a good thing!

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'm really interested in finding out what they're going to do with Castlevania. I see a great looking 2 and a half D game with some nice vector and filled polygon special effects, myself.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
iga wasn't too hot on the DS when i talked to him at e3. weird. he didn't understand how people would hold the stylus and play during an action game.

Once the game designers get tired of sticking it to Sony (or, more accurately, registering their complaints about PSP development costs) or playing the market iconoclast ("game design is in a rut") and they actually sit down and REALLY think about how to use the DS for an engaging gameplay experience, most of them will be like Iga and wonder what the fuck Nintendo was thinking.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'd say by then the DS will have a good 5-10 million unit lead on the PSP, so it'll be moot (the point, that is) :)

(had to post one last time. Off to the OT I swear!)

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Sonic's Yuji Naka-

Please be a masterbation game! Please be a masterbation game! Please be a masterbation game! Please be a masterbation game! Please be a masterbation game! Please be a masterbation game!

BuddyC

BuddyChrist83 said:
I remember hearing that Iga wasn't too fond of the DS, of course, this was before he'd actually seen it in person. I'll talk to Pat and clear that up.

eXxy said:
iga wasn't too hot on the DS when i talked to him at e3. weird. he didn't understand how people would hold the stylus and play during an action game.

:D

SolidSnakex said:
What makes you think that? Basically every game announced for the DS is 3D. It's a 3D machine just as the PSP is. And that's basically going to be what type of game is announced for each system.

"Confirmed a Castlevania game for the DS with the same style gameplay as Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for GBA. (Also says touch-screen is likely to get greasy after kids eat food and then play DS."

Drinky Crow said:
Once the game designers get tired of sticking it to Sony (or, more accurately, registering their complaints about PSP development costs) or playing the market iconoclast ("game design is in a rut") and they actually sit down and REALLY think about how to use the DS for an engaging gameplay experience, most of them will be like Iga and wonder what the fuck Nintendo was thinking.

Its going to be so much fun when the doubters are wrong again. Nothing but unmitigated hate towards a product that's not even final yet. All this good news and positivity must be driving you nuts. <bigassgrin>

Mashing

The DS needs to get some PC point and click adventure games... just think of the old LA adventure games on DS or stuff like TLJ.... rock!

krypt0nian said:
Its going to be so much fun when the doubters are wrong again. Nothing but unmitigated hate towards a product that's not even final yet. All this good news and positivity must be driving you nuts. <bigassgrin>

He's a Nintendo hater so that's hardly a surprise......just go to the 4swords thread......nice words from drinky regarding Nintendo just isnt possible, its a natural thing.......lol

Soul4ger

I thought it was a little too good to be true, and it is. Most of the developers do say this stuff, but...

For instance, Shinji Noguchi of Baten Kaitos says:

"My first impression of PSP was that it had really awesome graphics and that users would love to have [GameCube RPG] Baten Kaitos on it, but I fear two issues: battery life and price. With the DS, the double screen and touch panel are very unique. A card-based game like Baten kaitos [would work well with] the touch panel."

IGA complained about the stylus, and said he thought it would make playing action games difficult. In the blurb at the bottom of his quote, it says he "later" admitted that he would start working on an Aria of Sorrow-style Castlevania as soon as he could figure out how to make use of the touch screen.

Kojima says the DS is for a younger audience.

Yasumi Matsuno says that the touch panel is going to be too hard to utilize for gaming, but is good for typing and things like that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn, I knew the quotes in the mag were probably spun out of proportion. Oh well.

GDGF

Soothsayer
That's not too bad. Basicly everything's cool except Baten Kaitos is nothing more than a good idea, and Kojima thinks NDS is for a younger audience (which didn't stop him from making Boktai for the GBA :))

Lost Weekend said:
That's not too bad. Basicly everything's cool except Baten Kaitos is nothing more than a good idea, and Kojima thinks NDS is for a younger audience (which didn't stop him from making Boktai for the GBA :))

Kojima and iga belong to Sony's ass like most Konami teams so their comments are hardly surprising.....i will laugh at Kojima's face if PSP fails to sell at a mass rate and DS manage to do it. Then wait for his explanation for why no KCEJ games on DS......

Top Bottom