• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 build quality is garbage. Why would Sony make such a cheap controller?

REDSLATE

Honestly, the PS3 controllers' build quality was pretty cheap too. Felt like I was going to break the damn things every time I played (and it's not as if I was gripping them particularly hard).

Oxn

It's far from perfect but I still think it's the best PlayStation controller in terms of design and build quality.

(I own two launch day DS4s.)

Yep,

One of my favorite controllers, and definitely top of the list of playstation controllers.

My white one which i have since sold off had squeeky trigger, and rubber peeling off analog stick, but it didnt really bother me.

My 20th anniversary controller right now, the real 20th anniversary controller from a 20th anniversay ps4, have non of those issues.

Sadist

My only real gripe with PlayStation; their controllers are never built to last. Every other controller I own keeps working except for those. I really was careful with my PSone controllers but I think I've bought five of them. PS3 controller seems sturdier though. Friends with a PS4 all complain about sticks and triggers.

Only issue I've had with mine was the terrible squeaky/sticky triggers. Granted I don't play my PS4 a lot at all, but I've been putting in a lot more hours due to picking Bloodborne back up, and with the release of DS3 and UC4 lately. Had to disassemble mine to spray the inside of the triggers with WD40 about a year ago when it was killing me during Hotline 2. It's been fine ever since. Up til Hotline though, I'd estimate that I'd put maybe... I dunno, 70 hours of actual gameplay time on it? (launch unit here). So yeah, considering that, it's pretty shitty in terms of build quality.

Haines

Banned
Yup sticks fall apart and first controller I've ever had damn near fall apart from dropping it

Sony should be embarrassed.

The ds4 looks great, but it does not feel solid. Quality issues aside...I don't like the thumbsticks. Personally I think they feel too long and I don't have total control, especially when playing an FPS like Doom. After playing with the Elite controller with adjustable thumbsticks, the ds4 just does not feel good. Would be great if you could use the Elite controller on PS4. Would be a great combo.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Still on my launch controller, still good as new, no peeling (maybe some people's diets are too acidic ;)).

Just replaced it with the UC4 DS4. Battery life seems to last much longer, feels tighter overall, more solid if that makes sense.

phant0m

I have 2 controllers from Jan '14 that are still good. Sticks are fine as are all the buttons, though battery life is only 3-4 hrs at this point. I also have a white DS4 from early 2015 that's great as well, and that one's battery is still a solid 6 hours.

I think some of you need to wash your grubby mitts before playing, and maybe stop squeezing the controller so hard?

Peltz

My first DS4 that came with the console had squeaky triggers right out of the factory sealed box. The other two controllers I have appear to be flawless though.

Both of the default controllers this gen are bad in terms of build quality. Thin plastic, they feel like you could twist them apart. On the Xbone, the Elite and even Lunar White are much better alternatives, but the basic controllers should be a lot more solid.

MDave

I replaced the sticks with Xbox One ones (get them cheap off ebay for less then £2) and it's dramatically improved my fps game. The higher sticks, and much better rubber tops are much better for grip and smooth accuracy. No problems with this controller now, except for battery life. And the thing has a 1000 mAh battery in them! The Wii U Gamepad (non pro) has a 1500 mAh battery, for comparisons sake. And the Wii U Pro controller has a 1300 mAh battery.

Pachinko

I can attest to the terrible build quality , I've thrown a newer dual shock 4 at a table, wall and a couch a few times (which resulted in a ricochet towards the cement floor) and not only does it still work but all the buttons are intact :p

Seriously though I'm not sure I have the same problems. I did actually throw a brand new controller out of frustration (Uncharted 3's third act is just AWFUL) but despite some cracked seams and a few dents the controller still works. I think I might invest in a stress ball from the dollar store before I try Uncharted 4 though :p

Only controller I've had serious quality issues with was a wired 360 pad from that systems launch, the buttons got all gummy , the triggers started sticking and the rubber covers on both analog sticks literally dissolved. It still functions I suppose but it wore right out.

dubq

I have had two ds4s since launch and have zero issues, nor do I find them cheap, tbh. But GAF gonna GAF, so... :)

The biggest issue with the ds4 is it doesn't even send inputs over USB. Like its 2016 and Sony is still forcing us to use Bluetooth.

I keep getting interference and had to rearrange my office turn off any Bluetooth devices whenever I play. Every big cod tournament this year has also ran into this issue. Playing competitive esports with a wireless Bluetooth controller is a joke.

I won't be purchasing titanfall or any other competitive shooters on the ps4 ever again.

xkramz

When I had a ps4 I went through 3 ps4 controller, all with right trigger hinge problems.

There are definitely some quality control issues.

I have two Xbox one controller and they all work flawlessly even taking a beating dropped into marble floors quite a few times.

joshcam19

I've had the same 2 controllers since launch and I probably play between 10-15 hours a week on average. Had no problems, battery life could be better but the build quality is great. I have noticed that a lot of people manhandle their controllers though and I don't.

Still on my launch controller, still good as new, no peeling (maybe some people's diets are too acidic ;)).

Just replaced it with the UC4 DS4. Battery life seems to last much longer, feels tighter overall, more solid if that makes sense.
Yup, at some point in time since the DS2/DS3, people have definately started to sweat corrosive acid from their fingertips. It's crazy. I mean, aside from the unlikely scenario that Sony just decided to use shitty, cheap materials for the DS4, there's just no other explaination for why a lot of the sticks began to disintergrate within weeks despite their previous controllers holding up for decades within the grubby mitts of the exact same people.

What are you guys doing that the controllers are shitting out? Battery life is an issue, yes, but in my time of owning a PS4 (Coming close to a year now) my two controllers are still running strong.

Jesus, are you guys chucking them across to the wall or something?

Jolkien

What are you guys doing that the controllers are shitting out? Battery life is an issue, yes, but in my time of owning a PS4 (Coming close to a year now) my two controllers are still running strong.

Jesus, are you guys chucking them across to the wall or something?

Easy to say when you have revisions and not launch controller. My launch fat 60GB PS3 died but until it broke the DS3 controller it came with was working fine. 2 months after the ps4 launch my left joystick was peeling away. Same thing for two RL friend of mine we all got our ps4 on launch day. My second DS4 has been flawless which I got months after.

Got three DS4 controllers and none of them have issues. Maybe I'm just lucky but I always felt they were built well. I have had more issues with my XBox One controller on my PC, it has terrible input lag recently.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I had to replace my rubber analog sticks on my launch DS4, and after about 3 months of Destiny play, the left analog stick went all wonky. It kept pulling me to the right. I've never had a controller break that soon before.

And those hanging triggers make DIY repairs a nightmare. Those tiny wound springs....ugh.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yup, at some point in time since the DS2/DS3, people have definately started to sweat corrosive acid from their fingertips. It's crazy. I mean, aside from the unlikely scenario that Sony just decided to use shitty, cheap materials for the DS4, there's just no other explaination for why a lot of the sticks began to disintergrate within weeks despite their previous controllers holding up for decades within the grubby mitts of the exact same people.

Psst, it is called sarcasm. Hence the wink. But carry on.

Decider

My 20th anniversary controller right now, the real 20th anniversary controller from a 20th anniversay ps4, have non of those issues.

I do enjoy the way some people point out that their Anniversary controllers are "real".

My "fake" Anniversary controller doesn't have any of those issues either.

Neonep

I honestly don't know how ya'll play games. I have a launch DS4 & a 20th anniversary DS4 and both of them are perfectly fine. Te controllers are just fine, most of ya'll are just manhandling your controllers.

dubq

What does this mean?
Not everyone have the exact same controller, different or faulty componment might happen.
It means when some people say it's so on GAF, it must be so, so the rest of the bandwagon fills up regardless of facts or anyone else's experiences.

CD'S BAR

The thread title doesn't in any way reflect my experience with the controller. It's the best Sony have ever made.

Agreed. Some nonsense in thread. I own 4 and I've never had a problem with any, not even peeling thumbsticks. Felt like a premium controller from the first time I held one.

They're awful for durability but the best Sony have designed. Have always ended up replacing controls for everything but classic consoles so hard to judge on that.

Agreed. Some nonsense in thread. I own 4 and I've never had a problem with any, not even peeling thumbsticks. Felt like a premium controller from the first time I held one.
This thing does not feel premium at all. The Elite controller feels premium. This thing is garbage with very poor build quality. I am very very careful with my equipment and my thumb sticks have started to peel - I have a launch system. I have never had trouble with any controller except this one. Controller design is good, but build quality is god awful.

Yazuka

My launch controller is still doing good, with no issues what so ever. And same for my 20th anniversary, which I use all the time since it's been released. Still feels like new, so I guess I'm very lucky.
My only gripe with the controller is the battery life. I really wish they could improve it.

I didn't have peeling sticks until over a year and a half after.

My main issue with the sticks though is from playing COD so much. Using the L3 click to sprint so often causes the controls to go wonky when pushing forward on the stick after a few months of use. Most games you cant notice it, but games that have really sensitive controls are affected. An example of what happens is if you're controlling a character that can walk or run, if you push forward on the stick in a certain angle, it will alternate with walking and running very quickly. In COD, this makes sprinting cancel constantly. Its extremely annoying.

I've been through two controllers and I've tried every remedy from replacing the sticks to using di-electric grease and nothing fixes this. Never had this issue when I played COD on the 360 for years. Its my only complaint with the controller.

Fonz72

The thread title holds true for a batch of launch controllers, pretty sure they even narrowed it down to certain serial numbers. My launch DS4 had peeling sticks and sticky/squeaky triggers (which is an easy fix. You take them off and clean them. It's caused by a film leftover from the manufacturing process.) I purchased a blue, a white and a camouflage controller and have had no issues.

Needs to die, but people just love to jump on a negative band wagon.

On a side note, every 360 controller I own has drifting sticks and the rumble disconnects the battery packs.

CD'S BAR

This thing does not feel premium at all. The Elite controller feels premium. This thing is garbage with very poor build quality. I am very very careful with my equipment and my thumb sticks have started to peel - I have a launch system. I have never had trouble with any controller except this one. Controller design is good, but build quality is god awful.

Never used an Elite but at 3x the price of a ds4 I'd hope it'd feel a step up. Can't think of a more premium feeling standard controller than the ds4 and xbone regular. The build feels better than 360, ds3 and anything before.

slapnuts

Launch controller and the newer blue controller...only thing i could tell is the texture on on sticks of the newer blue controller is smoother vs launch controller. But both are fine to this day!

Have been following these Dualshock 4 threads somewhat since the PS4 released, so I was reluctant to buy a DS4 for PC gaming at first after reading of others' experiences. Finally went with an Anniversary edition earlier this year because why not (as a long time PS fan), and I guess these latest revisions truly have fixed all issues (or at least the most important and immediate ones), the thing feels really solid too.

My controller has a FCC ID ending in A, like that other thread discussing this specific revision. From what I've read, most, if not all Anniversary controllers seem to use that one.

Mingledorff

Neo Member
My original controller (from the second wave of consoles. Wanna say it was around February after launch) peeled within 3 months of me barely using it. I ended up getting my hands on a silver batman edition controller. Was so worried of the issues that I bought KontrolFreek CQCs for it. That said, no issues out of the controller since. Though I'm still not sure I wanna remove the grips.

saunderez

The thread title holds true for a batch of launch controllers, pretty sure they even narrowed it down to certain serial numbers.
Sorry but this is absolute bullshit. I didn't buy my PS4 anywhere near launch (I just checked and it was August 2014) and the pack in controller suffered stick degradation within 6 months. The red controller I bought after I bought the console also suffered from this. Stick degradation is a pain in the ass, but relatively easy to fix, and I eliminated that problem entirely by buying some aluminium analog sticks.

But that's not even the biggest flaw with the controller. The trigger mechanism is. It's a complete engineering failure and has only recently been redesigned. Over time I think 100% of the original design are going to have faulty triggers. If you've pulled it apart to repair this problem it's obvious why it's happening. The arm that anchors the trigger on the spring side is longer than the other side. It is also under a lot more stress due to the fact it's holding the spring. This arm will break. When it breaks it may or may not cause immediate problems, it usually just starts with creaking and feeling like its loose. Lot's of people in here are saying they've got creaking/squeaking triggers - sorry fellas but pretty high chance your trigger is actually broken. Over time the floating side of trigger can damage the rubber boot underneath and when that happens bye bye trigger.

I'd like to see the industrial testing the original design went through. I remember Microsoft saying they put their controllers through millions of mechanical button presses, and I had assumed Sony would do the same, but there's no way that trigger mechanism was tested enough.

The DS4 that came with the console had a completely broken left analog stick. Got a second one, which has a nonfunctional headphone jack.

Compared to the two XBox ONE controllers I've bought, both of which never saw problems.

drotahorror

Both my launch and white controller have never had peeling sticks. White one has a squeeky trigger though, was like that on the first day I opened it.

My biggest issue is where it acts like the controller loses connection. The headset goes fuzzy and my friends can't hear me. My controller goes wonky and starts moving in directions I'm not pressing and I lose all control. This happens for about 2 seconds. It happens on full battery, while charged, or low battery. Doesn't matter. Probably happens once or twice (sometimes 3) an hour.

That's been an issue for both controllers. There is nothing blocking the path way to the ps4. It's literally 9 feet to the right of me with no interference. Never had that problem with any controller.

Top Bottom