• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a Switch and I am surprised

lachesis

For me, grip and having old eyes prevents me playing Switch longer than 30 min i portable mode. Only play docked pretty much with Pro controller. Thanks to TOTK that I am still playing in snail’s pace - I haven’t turned on my PS5 and XSX for many months…

Allow me to remind everyone of how my PS5 arrived:

U4NPKPe.jpg

The packaging on that thing was an absolute joke.
I think that’s more on the transport company throwing the box around as much as they please than Sonys packaging. Didn’t like the box on the inside very much when unpacking but then again, it’s a one time thing.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is such fanboy drivel. All plastic is cheap, that is why it is in everything. OP is mistaking surface hardness or some other BS quality with build quality. All consoles are cheap plastic boxes. My 2017 switch is holding up just fine an my kid plays with it a lot. That said bot Sony and Nintendo controllers are rip offs. Nintendo's 80 bucks for a set of joycons without even a charging handle is the most cunty accessory scam in gaming.

K' Dash

Did they change the packaging? I got mine in early 2022 and it was in a premium box, it was disc version and in USA though so maybe that is the difference. Very sturdy box, Its up in the attic with my ps3 and ps4 boxes.

The box you got looks like shit. I wonder if they changed it do to esg pressure.. Wouldn't surprise me. That shit ruins everything.

I got mine in December 2022 and the packaging was shit, the unboxing experience for this supposed "Premium" console is terrible.

and I'm not going to talk about that hideous design and that shitty stand.

Filben

Pro Controller feels sturdy to me. OLED base model is a real looker and feels sturdy as well. Only thing that feels cheap is the docking station and joy cons. I don't own other peripheral equipment.

At how poor the build quality is of everything in here (apart from the OLED screen). Every single thing (controllers, dock, sensors) feels made of cheap plastic. Compared to PS5 I was really taken aback when I opened the box and held these things.

I dont mind it much though, just surprised. I bought it mainly for portable games as I will be away from home for a couple of months or so. Got both Zeldas for now so pretty excited about playing those. Will go through exclusives and sell it again, or thats the plan.

Also, on a big TV Breath of the wild looks really bad (kinda expected though). I am not planning on playing it on TV much so thats not a big issue for me. Even in handheld mode on that small screen there is aliasing.

Still plenty excited. This thing will be my companion when I am away from home. Never thought I would own a Nintendo console but here we are!
The switch is an all-in-one device for between $200-350 depending on the model, what did you expect? Like seriously, no joke, what were your expectations? The PS5 requires you to have a display, on the switch it is built in. One is portable, one is not. These things are barely comparable other than the fact that they both play games.

Top Bottom