• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSi titles are region locked!

tidus9000

Kilrogg said:
I'm European. I'm used to manufacturers and publishers treating us like shit. In that regard, Nintendo is no worse than their competition. Most importantly, as far as content goes, I find myself happier with games on Nintendo platforms. The only exception to that being the Playstation 1, which I loved (it helps that I didn't care for the N64 at all, but still, the PS1 was awesome).

Shito said:
I'm European. I'm used to manufacturers and publishers treating us like shit. In that regard, I thank Sony for finally getting rid of this region-locking bullshit, and I shake a comforting and reassuring "well it's a good start" hand with Microsoft. Nintendo can rot in hell for all I care.

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about importing culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in your own region where you can become successful by selling games to your intended market. If you screw over importers, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the rest of the world, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase iDOLM@STER, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and cancel region locking for DSi or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Hobbun

duckroll said:
- Region locking portable sytems
- Friend codes
- Shit online infrastructure
- Retarded storage "solutions"

Yeah, I would say "worst leader ever" is just about right for Nintendo right now if you judge their overall policy and business direction in terms of being consumer friendly. :p

Let’s not forget games locked to console, instead of account. For those of us who want to keep our VC and WiiWare games beyond the Wii.

Shito

Kilrogg said:
See, this is where there is a misunderstanding. If we're looking at region-locking policies, yeah, Nintendo is the worst of the 3. But my initial comment, and everything that followed, was about manufacturers and their policies as a whole, and how what they did affected us consumers, not just their stances on region-locking. That's why I think that this "worst leader ever" comment is hyperbole, especially from the point of view of Europeans like ourselves, who used to be treated far worse than the US. Now, if you have to deal with Nintendo of America on the other hand, I understand your pain :p.
Your point is askew.
You are refuting the hyperbole (which I agree is exagerating) by stating that, for once, the situation is worse on a nintendo platform from the us point of view than from the european one. Which it is. But it doesn't make the situation any *better* from the european one, especially not when the two other competitors are at least showing sign of getting rid of the stupid region-lock. Which, well, you know, lets you play games from other countries and not care so much about, for example, the incredible stupidity of NoA.
Now if we're thinking about "policies as a whole", I don't see why Nintendo should be any better than Sony or Microsoft here in Europe. They are, at best, on the same level. Nobody ever seem to give a damn but I really think that Microsoft doing everything they can to almost always bring games at the same time in US and in Europe is a big improvement over what we were used to.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone else able to double confirm this, I mean it's Idolmaster and I may just be a one off but :/

Hanmik

t3nmilez said:
I tried putting it in my American DSi and the game refuses to register, it says that nothing is inserted in the slot. I then put it into my Japanese DSi and it ran fine. I also tried it on my American DSlite, and it also ran no problem on that.

I came here expecting to be disgusted by Nintendo and their new Region policy.. but actually I was surprised by the OP... How many Nintendo DS´s can one man own..? why would anyone own so many versions of the (almost) same console..? I would understand that the reasoning behind this could be because of region restrictions, but OP just discovered this today..

HUELEN10

VOOK said:
Anyone else able to double confirm this, I mean it's Idolmaster and I may just be a one off but :/
Well wasn't it already confirmed that the Ubi cooking thing didn't work on Japanese DSi units ages ago? Of course nobody gave a shit about that, and I can't blame them for it, My Healthy Cooking Coach isn't exactly God Tier...

Jme

That sucks, but it's not the end of the world. I mean, my Wii is region locked and yet I was able to play an imported copy of Disaster thanks to some help from the fine folks of the internet. I'm sure it won't be long before there's region unlocked mods.

Chorazin

Hanmik said:
I came here expecting to be disgusted by Nintendo and their new Region policy.. but actually I was surprised by the OP... How many Nintendo DS´s can one man own..? why would anyone own so many versions of the (almost) same console..? I would understand that the reasoning behind this could be because of region restrictions, but OP just discovered this today..

Welcome to NeoGAF, where we all own way more shit than we should.

On topic, yeah, it's 100% bullshit that Nintendo changed the way handhelds have operated since, you know, forever. Really, this will only effect legit importers, because I'm sure the pirates will find away to alter the ROM file to get around the region lock.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
HUELEN10 said:
Well wasn't it already confirmed that the Ubi cooking thing didn't work on Japanese DSi units ages ago? Of course nobody gave a shit about that, and I can't blame them for it, My Healthy Cooking Coach isn't exactly God Tier...

I hadn't heard about that one. I might try and find it and test it out on the weekend - not going to order Idolmaster if I don't have too.

Hanmik said:

I have a DS Phat, two DS Lite's, a Japanese and Australia DSi - it's really a worry for me - but it'll piss off a lot of other people.

Well, as long as iMAS works on my UK DSL like all other JPN games then I'm happy. This news just confirms that I'll be buying a Japanese DSi when I decide to get one.

t3nmilez

Hanmik said:

Mainly for DSiware stuff, I bought a Japanese DSi at launch. I knew that the American DSi would have exclusive games, so I figured that I might as well import one since I enjoy playing games in English more than Japanese anyway.

duckroll

t3nmilez said:
Mainly for DSiware stuff, I bought a Japanese DSi at launch. I knew that the American DSi would have exclusive games, so I figured that I might as well import one since I enjoy playing games in English more than Japanese anyway.

Are they at least different colors? ^^;

Kilrogg said:
See, this is where there is a misunderstanding. If we're looking at region-locking policies, yeah, Nintendo is the worst of the 3. But my initial comment, and everything that followed, was about manufacturers and their policies as a whole, and how what they did affected us consumers, not just their stances on region-locking. That's why I think that this "worst leader ever" comment is hyperbole, especially from the point of view of Europeans like ourselves, who used to be treated far worse than the US. Now, if you have to deal with Nintendo of America on the other hand, I understand your pain :p.

All the games I ever want on the other non-Nintendo consoles do not take months to come out after their different region counterparts. It is rare you have to wait more than a month.

Hobbun

duckroll said:
Yeah, I think if I ever get another DS it'll be either red or pink.

I like the blue one myself. And actually wish I purchased that one first instead of my black one. Does the blue DSi also have the matte finish like the black one?

wsippel

Banned
What happens if you rip those region locked games and play them on a DSi from a different region using a flashcard? I guess the games would run in DS mode, but they should at least work, no?

HUELEN10

wsippel said:
What happens if you rip those region locked games and play them on a DSi from a different region using a flashcard? I guess the games would run in DS mode, but they should at least work, no?
What would be the point then? The whole point is being able to use the DSi features.

t3nmilez

duckroll said:
Are they at least different colors? ^^;

Aye! Japanese White and USA Black. Heh, having the spare Japanese system is good for the wife anyway, and I usually just let my kids borrow use my lite, so I kind of have a justification for having the systems, haha.

How do the different regions work in different countries anyway? Is Asia the same as Japan, or do different countries have their own code? What about different PAL territories?

duckroll said:
Nintendo is so backward ass it's not even funny. NoA is the best though, they've taken going backwards to a whole new level. Refusing to release completely localized Wii games and leaving them in Europe instead = LOLZ.

so US gamers get an idea how EU gamers feel like for 30 years now.

Region locking has to be one of the most stupidest things ever. The "pirates" will be able to hack through, easily, to pirate the software anyway. And those who want to localize games will most likely just download a homebrew patch to play the games.

All region locking does is just give headaches.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
t3nmilez said:
How do the different regions work in different countries anyway? Is Asia the same as Japan, or do different countries have their own code? What about different PAL territories?

Nintendo historically has done some variant of US, Korea, Japan, EU in terms of hardware regions. I don't know if that's the case with the DSi or not, though.

Gokurakumaru said:
So while Sony and MS are being progressive with regard to region coding in the console space, Nintendo are being regressive in the handheld space. Worst market leader ever.

Ugh, never say the word space again.

wsippel

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
What would be the point then? The whole point is being able to use the DSi features.
The point would be that you could actually at least play the damn game if you don't own a regular DS?

Somnid

I'd still buy a US DSi if Nintendo puts VC on DSi. But for a few DSi Enhanced titles I'm kinda leaning, no.

The Faceless Master said:
well, MS started the whole multiregion thing with the original Xbox. it was, and still is, a publisher's option, but it was better than what existed before, even though it has since been eclipsed by the PS3 being region free.
I remember importing Tekken 2 fot the PS1 and being forced to do a boot trick involving a paperclip.

Good times.

Flying_Phoenix said:
Region locking has to be one of the most stupidest things ever. The "pirates" will be able to hack through, easily, to pirate the software anyway. And those who want to localize games will most likely just download a homebrew patch to play the games.

All region locking does is just give headaches.

I don't think region locking is a direct antipiracy measure. I would guess the sizable quantities of bootleg DS/GBA games that have infested the marketplace over the last decade or so might figure in more readily. The other argument for region-locking is insulating price points in different regions despite different currency values/economic conditions in different regions. Both justifications are questionable and annoying; I just don't think it's an antipiracy thing, but maybe there's something I'm not seeing.

Hmm, this doesn't really affect me since I never import. But I can totally see why people are pissed. Region locking is freakin' stupid.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
A Black Falcon said:
Why should it be expected that a handheld would be region locked? There has never been a handheld with region-locked games before... I don't think there was reason to expect Nintendo was going to start now... until they announced the DS, that is, when it became clear what they were doing.

... Save us, homebrew, indeed. :(

Call it a hunch, but the moment DSi features were announced, I suspected Nintendo would finally region-lock their handheld games.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
duckroll said:
Yeah, I think if I ever get another DS it'll be either red or pink.

Wait, another? I thought the DS you play with is your sister's.

And why did you never send pics of your sister. I showed you mine!

Luigiv

duckroll said:
Wait, so for DSi-enhanced titles, they run find on normal DS machines regardless of region, but are regionlocked for DSi machines? WOW! :lol
Well from technological perspective it does make sense, the regular DS firmwire has no region data for the game to check for region locks whilst the DSi does. that said, it's still a stupid situation.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hmm, this still doesn't add up for me. No console has ever just said "nothing inserted" or "general error" when you plug in something of a different region. Error messages concerning incongruous region always have very specific descriptions.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
it's a portable console for fucks sake, what if you are on holiday and you buy a region locked game?

that was the reason Game Boy Games where never region locked, because you are quite likely to travel to another bloody country with the thing

Nintendo are fucking crazy, I can't even see a business upside to this

dogmaan said:
it's a portable console for fucks sake, what if you are on holiday and you buy a region locked game?

that was the reason Game Boy Games where never region locked, because you are quite likely to travel to another bloody country with the thing

Heh, now that you mention this, I bought Ghost Babel in 1999 in Lyon. I would have been raging if it didn't work.

HUELEN10

dogmaan said:
Nintendo are fucking crazy, I can't even see a business upside to this
I can! Easy DLC for future games! No need to have a login for a foreign shop, with single-region play you can leave the guesswork behind!

I know what I just said is bullshit, knowing Nintendo, I could actually see this "simplicity" approach as something for them to brag about.

Chorazin

Hobbun said:
I like the blue one myself. And actually wish I purchased that one first instead of my black one. Does the blue DSi also have the matte finish like the black one?

It is, and IMO, it's still the sexiest of the non-LE DSi colors. I <3 my blue DSi!

Yoschi

I just can't stop thinking about Korg DS-10+ (a new DSi enhanced DS-10) and that it might not even be released outside of Japan :(

edit: Also, the more DSi specific stuff comes out that is region locked, the higher the urge to hack the DSi. Worst decision ever.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yoschi said:
I just can't stop thinking about Korg DS-10+ (a new DSi enhanced DS-10) and that it might not even be released outside of Japan :(

edit: Also, the more DSi specific stuff comes out that is region locked, the higher the urge to hack the DSi. Worst decision ever.
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu just remembered this game......

So stupid!

Agh! This sucks.

I import a lot of my games from America, but I have a 'PAL' NZ/Aus system.

Maaaaaan. >_< Gonna have to get an American system eventually I guess, what a waste of money.

Come on homebrew! Save us!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
:lol where's all the dudes who were telling people to "stop spreading FUD about games being region locked"

classic

so people started taking notice of this now? it's just another reason to skip the DSi altogether.

very weak move to cut off your hardcore base, or what's left of it.

Top Bottom