• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSi titles are region locked!

Acosta

It was stupid enough in consoles, and now they want to pull that shit in portables too? And it's not the first time this company shits on me with the DS portability (hint for Nintendo: there is something called "universal power supply", included even on the most humble electronic devices, that way I can keep using the system in other countries with different voltage).

Good, there goes any chance I could "upgrade" to DSi. My DS it´s good enough. One less potential client for DSiware.

Its soooooo silly! You take your system overseas with you, you see some games and you think oh I want them to play while on holiday! *buys*

Its the way it has always been on a handheld, no one is gonna buy a whole new system just for a holiday country trip lol.

Why do it? Do they not want that money?

Soooooo dumb. >_< Agh.

Azure J

I just can't understand Nintendo sometimes. Why do this now when more than likely, a shit ton of folks have already dabbled in getting games from different regions? Damn. :/

AzureJericho said:
I just can't understand Nintendo sometimes. Why do this now when more than likely, a shit ton of folks have already dabbled in getting games from different regions? Damn. :/

This is what's really confusing. I mean, hell, I've seen Ouendan/Band Bros in fucking Best Buy.

HUELEN10

A Twisty Fluken said:
This is what's really confusing. I mean, hell, I've seen Ouendan/Band Bros in fucking Best Buy.
Lol wut? Damn, you make my Best Buy seem even shittier! Imports at Best Buy sounds awesome! :D

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Augemitbutter said:
so people started taking notice of this now? it's just another reason to skip the DSi altogether.

very weak move to cut off your hardcore base, or what's left of it.
Well now we can 100% confirm it since there haven't been (to my knowledge) any DSi-enhanced carts.

I thought the DSi-enhanced games WOULD work actually and the completely DSi only games would not.

Ouch!

Dineren

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
Lol wut? Damn, you make my Best Buy seem even shittier! Imports at Best Buy sounds awesome! :D

My Best Buy had Jump Superstars available last year for a few months, but I haven't seen any imports since. They must not have sold very well.

Would Elite Beat Agents have happened if not for the amount of people importing Ouendan? That's a question we can't ever know the full answer to but the imports must have contributed to EBA's release or development.

Is the bullshit excuse about the different ratings standards in various regions as the reason for locking out DSi carts the only reason given for this decision?

Yeah its the 'confirmed' fact now that's causing people to go off now I guess, after reading the thing on the package I prepared for the worst but still held out hope.

;(

Malio

Very disappointed in Nintendo this gen. I had 34 gamecube games, I have 6 Wii games. The terrible online/friend codes crap, lame wii channels, total shift to the casual market, now this region locking for the dsi. Really sucking out my desire to give them any more of my money.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
AstroLad said:
:lol where's all the dudes who were telling people to "stop spreading FUD about games being region locked"

classic

The assumption was that the DSi couldn't play Nintendo DS games from any other region then the one it was bought from, this was incorrect. The proviso was always that if Nintendo ever did Nintendo DSi only games (which back in March hadn't been spoken of) they would most likely be region locked. The fact that you'd only be able to connect to the DSi Ware store of the region that the device is set too was also assumed.

This here is my photo I took of the DSi box before it even came out which states the above. At the moment there only seems to be one, maybe two region locked games out there (if the OP isn't have some weird problem) and we don't know if it compulsary either.

This still doesn't negate the fact that this is a fucking stupid idea and that Nintendo in their infinite wisdom has decided that this sort of draconian shit will fly in 2009.

Thank God for Nintendo saving gaming....from gamers.

Maybe I'll buy a new PSP to spite them(not a PSPgo though so I can spite Sony as well).

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Also forgot to mention that it was only assumed that 'DSi only' games would be locked, but this Idolmaster game seems to only be DSi enhanced, so it's actually worse. Nintendo could some shit DSi enchanced stuff in Spirit Tracks and theoretically region lock it.

Bad news all around.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
VOOK said:
Also forgot to mention that it was only assumed that 'DSi only' games would be locked, but this Idolmaster game seems to only be DSi enhanced, so it's actually worse. Nintendo could some shit DSi enchanced stuff in Spirit Tracks and theoretically region lock it.

Bad news all around.
Yup, exactly what I thought in my post above.

I see alot more DS games in 2010 getting DSi enhanced features that would cause a lock.

HUELEN10

I predict that in 2010, no less than 1/6th of DS releases will be DSi enhanced. I also predict that there will be no less than 6 DSi Only Cards released. I wonder how it will all pan out in the end, thus has begun the GBC of our time.

Shito

thetrin said:
Hmm, this still doesn't add up for me. No console has ever just said "nothing inserted" or "general error" when you plug in something of a different region. Error messages concerning incongruous region always have very specific descriptions.
I don't recall the PSX or the DC giving any error messages concerning a region lock back in the days. Maybe Konami did that on a few titles, but weren't you taken directly to the cd audio application?

Somnid

What's interesting is that the regional firmwares aren't even completely the same. Non-JP firmwares have language and region settings that aren't part of the JP firmware.

HUELEN10

Somnid said:
What's interesting is that the regional firmwares aren't even completely the same. Non-JP firmwares have language and region settings that aren't part of the JP firmware.
Great, it's even more bullshit than we originally thought. :lol

Somnid

HUELEN10 said:
Great, it's even more bullshit than we originally thought. :lol

I don't know if it changes anything, but I was kinda suprised looking at my GF's DSi. It looks like US ones have options for French, Spanish and English, as well as letting you select your country. Those options are completely missing from mine even at the latest version. No clue if they could effect region locking either.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
duckroll said:
Do you have something worthwhile to contribute to this thread?

He's a marketing exec!

On topic: RAAAAGE!

I've always hated the whole region locking everything - ultimately however, it is something that only informed consumers care about so corporations can easily get away with it. Average Joe is just aware of what's on the shop's shelves and that's it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
AzureJericho said:

They probably read the threads in which people were overjoyed at their ever growing profits and posted all the "it prints money" gif's...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
VOOK said:

Bad news all around.

Yes, they have basically backported region locking to DS titles too (if you run them on a DSi)...

The (only) good news is that bushing and company from Team Twiizers have been making some significant headway on hacking the DSi. Hopefully we'll see a Homebrew Channel and a DSi version of GeckoOS soon to get by this absolutely idiotic policy.

Nintendo created the policy of region-free gaming for GameBoy onwards specifically because people would go on holiday and might buy a game.

This is complete bullshit though. I don't see Shantae DSiWare hitting EU DSiShop for some reason, for instance...

Dragona Akehi said:
The (only) good news is that bushing and company from Team Twiizers have been making some significant headway on hacking the DSi. Hopefully we'll see a Homebrew Channel and a DSi version of GeckoOS soon to get by this absolutely idiotic policy.

Nintendo created the policy of region-free gaming for GameBoy onwards specifically because people would go on holiday and might buy a game.

This is complete bullshit though. I don't see Shantae DSiWare hitting EU DSiShop for some reason, for instance...

DSi Homebrew channel needs to happen period, so yes.

Somnid

Dragona Akehi said:

Actually it sounds like Nintendo beefed up the security. Rather suprising since it's usually simplistic.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Just to be clear, because some of the talk in here sounds like people may have the wrong idea:

DS games of any region will work on any DS or DSi.

DS games with DSi enhanced features will work on any DS (albeit without the enhanced features) and a DSi of the same region as the game.

DSi games will only work on a DSi of the same region as the game.

Pretty shitty. Thankfully it isn't a big deal yet (or possibly ever will be one), but it is sad to know your options are suddenly limited.

Somnid said:
Actually it sounds like Nintendo beefed up the security. Rather suprising since it's usually simplistic.

Well, like I said, they've made considerable progress in the past little while. I expect that we'll see something soon from them...

Somnid

Yazuka said:
For the love of god Nintendo. Why would you even do this?
Stupid, stupid. Now I'm never going to buy a DSi.

I don't understand these posts. Nintendo is (theoretically) barring you from games so your solution is to instead bar yourself from more games?

Tiktaalik

jaundicejuice said:
Would Elite Beat Agents have happened if not for the amount of people importing Ouendan? That's a question we can't ever know the full answer to but the imports must have contributed to EBA's release or development.

Is the bullshit excuse about the different ratings standards in various regions as the reason for locking out DSi carts the only reason given for this decision?

I'm curious about this as well. This seems like maybe the one title that folks could point to that got more press in NA due to folks importing and writing articles and talking in forums about it. If there's any title that got a localization due to fan imports it would be this one.

Possibly one could point to Demon Souls as well.

zigg

sonarrat said:
This and not supporting WPA encryption for older games like Pokemon Platinum... whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy??!

Because those games all drive the old DS wireless chip directly. It's not abstracted out.

Tiktaalik said:
I'm curious about this as well. This seems like maybe the one title that folks could point to that got more press in NA due to folks importing and writing articles and talking in forums about it. If there's any title that got a localization due to fan imports it would be this one.

I certainly got that vibe.

I'm personally disappointed (though it's not unexpected), but then again, I haven't imported squat for the DS in a long time, and don't really expect to at all for DSi. DSiWare, by contrast, I do have, and I very much appreciate.

Once again Nintendo "delivers." Thanks, guys! I knew my tireless work advocating your incredible DS platform and pouring my money into your coffers could only possibly result in further improvements of the gaming experience for me, the consumer.

How in the world do you hack a DS? My lite only take cartrigages on it, I don't see how you can get homebrew one it. Unless the DSi added memory sticks....

Hmm i'll look that up

Yep it does take memory sticks. Go homebrew them!

charlequin said:
Once again Nintendo "delivers." Thanks, guys! I knew my tireless work advocating your incredible DS platform and pouring my money into your coffers could only possibly result in further improvements of the gaming experience for me, the consumer.

It's really just another good reminder as to the silliness of viewing gaming purchases as a vote of support or investment in futures.

Cat in the Hat said:
How in the world do you hack a DS? My lite only take cartrigages on it, I don't see how you can get homebrew one it. Unless the DSi added memory sticks....

Hmm i'll look that up

Yep it does take memory sticks. Go homebrew them!

Flash cards will allow homebrew to be run. With the DSi, it's hoped that Team Twiizers will find a exploit that just allows people to run homebrew code from the DSi's DS slot, and not require further hardware.

morningbus said:
Just to be clear, because some of the talk in here sounds like people may have the wrong idea:

DS games of any region will work on any DS or DSi.

DS games with DSi enhanced features will work on any DS (albeit without the enhanced features) and a DSi of the same region as the game.

DSi games will only work on a DSi of the same region as the game.

Pretty shitty. Thankfully it isn't a big deal yet (or possibly ever will be one), but it is sad to know your options are suddenly limited.

So regular imports are safe? None-issue for me then. :)

on the one hand i think, what's the big deal?

on the other hand, I realize that my import copies of soul bubbles, tingle's rosy rupeeland, and tingle's balloon fight are three of my favorite DS games, and there will surely be a dsi-enhanced or dsi-only game that i'll want to import.

mrkgoo

This is great news! It's like Nintendo is becoming more like the Nintendo of old. Does this mean they will release Super Metroid on DSi? Can't wait until I get a pass through cart like the good lo' SNES days.

Huh, I bought a DSi in the US knowing that I will one day return to NZ and be able to get raped by the PAL-region game prices.

JodyAnthony said:
on the one hand i think, what's the big deal?

on the other hand, I realize that my import copies of soul bubbles, tingle's rosy rupeeland, and tingle's balloon fight are three of my favorite DS games.
nm

HUELEN10

Zeitgeister said:
So regular imports are safe? None-issue for me then. :)
For now...
As it stands, DSi-Enhanced Cards do not have required special packaging. It could be entirely possible not to know if game is a true DS Card or not. Knowing Nintendo, future DS games may be DSi Enhanced for no benefits and for no reason at all. I can honestly see them pulling this shit, and soon we will have to make a list of what titles are and aren't enhanced.

Just saying, always expect the worst.

gerg

Even as one of the most ardent defenders of Nintendo here, this seems really shitty.

I can only hope that this somehow changes in the future. But it probably won't.

A Twisty Fluken said:
It's really just another good reminder as to the silliness of viewing gaming purchases as a vote of support or investment in futures.

It's also a good reminder that at least a few people will always bend over to lick up whatever cold anti-consumer brew a particularly favored corporation chooses to pour out for them.

charlequin said:
It's also a good reminder that at least a few people will always bend over to lick up whatever cold anti-consumer brew a particularly favored corporation chooses to pour out for them.

Pretty much.

Thank the gods above and below for homebrew, where I can use my legally purchased hardware and software however the fuck I want to, as intended.

Top Bottom