• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

Mr_eX

I don't care about the light, it's LED so it will drain the battery about as much as the light ring on the 360s controller. I just want Sony to release official PC drivers for the controller.

I just want to know where these legions of stupid people are who need a system to tell them what controller they are holding at such a forefront level of the OS. Both this lightbar and the Kinect "switching" of players seems like idiot proofing a problem almost nobody has.

Pick the controller and press a button. There. You know which controller you have. If you must have a OS soultion, press the home button and its there on the screen overlay. Job done.

Its a bit insulting that people consider us that stupid that we need more elborate soultions than that.

Alx

I'm having a hard time understanding how it can not be turned off. That would require additional effort to remove that possibility, for no good reason.
I mean it's all software, telling which leds have to be on or off to get a specific color. Being completely off should be only one status among others.
Maybe it means that if the game developers want it to be on, there's nothing you can do about it...

DBT85

Green, Blue and Pink
ps4-dualshock-4-playstation-4-eye-photos-gdc-8_09030001B000138675.jpg

Red

Can't find a pic of the yellow, but it was used a lot at E3.

dose

read this on VG247 this morning... and I´m sad... I play at night in my bedroom, fuck me .. my wife is going to kill me if I´m playing with a freaking flashlight on at night..
Don't forget the blue LED lightbar on the console itself ;)

Hanmik

players will be represented in games by colours, rather than numbers, I would assume.

NOOOOOO.. I´m colourblind.. first the blinding light on now you tell me I have to look at dfferent colours to find out what player I am..? I´m buying a commodore 64.

i-Lo

I play on a plasma during evening times and in low light condition. To me, it may become an enormous issue.

Takuya

Banned
I'm having a hard time understanding how it can not be turned off. That would require additional effort to remove that possibility, for no good reason.
I mean it's all software, telling which leds have to be on or off to get a specific color. Being completely off should be only one status among others.
Maybe it means that if the game developers want it to be on, there's nothing you can do about it...

They could always patch it in.... Day one... You know. There's a trend with that lately. :)

ekim

The LED is only used by the Eye camera so far, right?
TBH I don't think it's going to be a large issue from what I've seen in videos so far - it looked very dimmed in most situations.

ElRenoRaven

Preorder canceled. Going with Xbox One now.......hahahahahaha who am I kidding. I'll simply put some tape over the damn light. Problem solved until they include an option to turn it off.

Takuya

Banned
The LED is only used by the Eye camera so far, right?
TBH I don't think it's going to be a large issue from what I've seen in videos so far - it looked very dimmed in most situations.

It's not an overwhelming light at all, for those who even saw it and used it, the plastic cover on the LED strip is already pretty smoked out to dim the effect of the light.

raphanum

How many of you actually sit directly facing your TV with the controller pointed straight at the screen? I mean, I've usually got my legs crossed, or laying down on the couch, or have my feet up on the coffee table so my controller is always on my lap with no direct line-of-sight. Better question, how many of you are completely level with your TV? Mines perched higher than the resting position of my controller so no reflection.

Why the hell would you buy a TV with a reflective surface? That's just begging for eye destroying glare and awkward reflections of everyone in the room during dark scenes.

Reading this all over the Web, I feel gaming is becoming a whole other level of rock bottom. It is just a light. I mean, the sunlight reflects light on your Plasma TV, even a lamp like come on now? Are you going to cover your whole apartment in the morning just to block out that glare?

I'm just saying.

I don't get the big deal, it's a light. It probably could be a key feature to why you may need it, I'd assume developers are going to make some cool stuff with it.

If you don't want it, unlike every other natural thing you can't change, throw some tape on it.

If I'm using my phone in front of my TV, it's going to reflect off the screen too. Come on guys, this is very trivial. I didn't think a discussion for a light would be this long.

Hanmik

Reading this all over the Web, I feel gaming is becoming a whole other level of rock bottom. It is just a light. I mean, the sunlight reflects light on your Plasma TV, even a lamp like come on now? Are you going to cover your whole apartment in the morning just to block out that glare?

I'm just saying.

I don't get the big deal, it's a light. It probably could be a key feature to why you may need it, I'd assume developers are going to make some cool stuff with it.

If you don't want it, unlike every other natural thing you can't change, throw some tape on it.

If I'm using my phone in front of my TV, it's going to reflect off the screen too. Come on guys, this is very trivial. I didn't think a discussion for a light would be this long.

but but.. who will think about MY WIFE...?

Lima

Yes?

I always play in the dark. Light sucks.

dr_rus

Oh noes the controller has lights on it that you can't turn off! That's such a novelty, there were no lights on the controllers before DS4.

I'm sure that it'll be ok. And those of you who afraid of reflections on the display in the dark should really be more afraid of black being fucking grey in the dark for over a decade now - and it seems that no one cares about that.

Ushae

Banned
Why the hell would you buy a TV with a reflective surface? That's just begging for eye destroying glare and awkward reflections of everyone in the room during dark scenes.

Anyone that owns a Plasma TV? They're all made of glass I believe, some are better than others for reflections.

Can't believe this of all things would be made an issue, lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
TYhought I'd better check. Some will take a comment like that as truth and run with it lol.

Also at E3 some of the indies on stage had no light on...
http://youtu.be/DmoZAPDV3ew?t=1h23m30s

That's because they were running b-roll to showcase their games. It made the presentation go smoother to have pre-recorded footage. I also noticed this while watchinh the conference because some of the indie guys up there were just holding controllers with no lights haha

Lima

I'm sure that it'll be ok. And those of you who afraid of reflections on the display in the dark should really be more afraid of black being fucking grey in the dark for over a decade now - and it seems that no one cares about that.

My Kuro is pretty black alright.

DBT85

That's because they were running b-roll to showcase their games. It made the presentation go smoother to have pre-recorded footage. I also noticed this while watchinh the conference because some of the indie guys up there were just holding controllers with no lights haha

Odd that some were on and some were off lol.

besada

Banned
When I first saw the DS4, the light bar irritated me. I don't particularly want a large blue led panel on my controller. It'll attract cats and irritate my wife, I suspect.

Worse that I can't turn it off. Won't stop me from buying a PS4, though.

Remember when PS3 controllers wouldn't automatically turn off after a period of time until they added that feature into the PS3 firmware?

It's going to be the same way with this. If it's not at launch I'd be surprised if it didn't come with the first firmware update.

If you watch a movie at night it can get pretty annoying with a led light glowing in the dark. Kinda like a person checking their cell phone in the dark at an theater. But not a huge deal, will just hide the controller under sofa table if it's necessary. Kinda annoying that led is so huge though.

Top Bottom