• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

keit4

Banned
UuCexBB.png

And that aint exactly a dark room

Terrible.

Sony fix your shit.

I...I don't know man.

I really wanted to support Sony this gen, but this is a deal breaker. How can I game with a little blue reflection on my TV screen ruining the experience? How can I game discreetly with a GIANT FUCKING LIGHT on my controller (it's not like the bright backlight of my TV is on at night as well)?

I can't put up with this bullshit Sony. I just cancelled my PS4 pre-order, and have $100 down on a brand spanking new, obnoxious LED-free Xbox One.

I cannot believe how much Sony fucked this up.

\sarcasm

UuCexBB.png

And that aint exactly a dark room

I think people are interpreting this picture and this video the wrong way. The blue light in the game is in the controller as those little guys portal. When you cover it, the room gets dark. That is not a glare off the TV.. Did anyone watch the video at all? There was no glare straight through

whitehawk

Banned
this sticks. during dark scenes I can already see the red LEDs from my ps3 controller on my screen. this will be even worse.

DBT85

I think people are interpreting this picture and this video the wrong way. The blue light in the game is in the controller as those little guys portal. When you cover it, the room gets dark. That is not a glare off the TV.. Did anyone watch the video at all? There was no glare straight through

Check the rest of the thread, it's a reflection.

Troll

Banned
If the blue light reflects off my screen I definitely won't buy a PS4 until it's fixed. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, having a light reflect off of my TV while playing a game.

sunnz

Since it isn't in my face, not much of an issue but would prefer it if you could turn it of ( tv reflections)

Hip Hop

The 360 Controller used to bug the hell out of me when it was running out of batteries, the damn lights kept spinning and spinning.

This is the same situation, times 10.

Hope Sony does something about it, I can't put tape on my controller.

Kinyou

What I could imagine is that they let you choose the color. Maybe there is one that is less obnoxious

Did you post this just to stir shit up? Or are you dumb enough to believe you posted something real? That's the camera picking up where the light is and showing it as a blue point on screen.

I don't know which is worse, but either way, you've confused a bunch of people in this thread. Use your heads people.
Have you read the thread? It's pretty clearly a reflection

Just open the controller and remove it! At least it's not always on in a Kinect way.

What does a Kinect have to do with a DS4 PS4 controller?

On topic: Kind of sucks for my set up. Have a dark room setup, mainly because of my glossy tv, and i hate playing video games with glare and too much bright light.

Hanmik

If the blue light reflects off my screen I definitely won't buy a PS4 until it's fixed. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, having a light reflect off of my TV while playing a game.

don´t worry .. it´s not going to be a blue light... I asked a Playstation expert (he works with the new PS4) how bad it is.. he was kind enough to take a picture and mail it to me. He told me that this type of TV is the one most people buying a PS4 will be using..

1+ZENITH+TV+1973+PF.jpg

so I guess it will only be bad for people who buy never tv´s.

Vidpixel

Not exactly surprising, especially since Sony has been saying how the different light bar colors would indicate which player you are.

JudgeB

Banned
I own a plasma, and Im kinda worried...
Dont understand why it must be turned on all the time. I mean, the lightbar was made to work with the PS camera no? And afaik the camera is optional???

It obviously wasn't optional then when they first planned all this ;)

But maybe it can be dimmed? Full power for games which make use of the camera in difficult lighting situations, low power for anything else.

chiablo

You can't turn off the battery indicator on the current Dual Shock 3. Nobody complains about this, but this would have the same sort of problem with glossy televisions.

Lima

You can't turn off the battery indicator on the current Dual Shock 3. Nobody complains about this, but this would have the same sort of problem with glossy televisions.

Who is nobody? I complain about this. I can see this shit little red light in my TV.

nib95

Banned

Based on the pictures etc, I'm not sure the light bar is powerful enough to be reflected on a screen at normal viewing distances, unless you play really close of course. I've certainly never seen any battery indicators reflected off my screen or anything. Never even thought about it till now lol.

Sure they've tested this stuff.

People are really digging deep to say something negative about the PS4.

I thought the same thing. That Polygon love. Also, this has been discussed several times over and Yosh said that days ago.

Put some black electrical tape on your controller light bar if it bothers you, end of story.

Now, everyone that isn't interested in the PS4 can keep complaining about how this is a deal breaker and the system is doomed.

Anyone that owns a Plasma TV? They're all made of glass I believe, some are better than others for reflections.

Can't believe this of all things would be made an issue, lol

They make TVs that don't have anti-glare coatings on the screen, and people buy them?

Sendou

I thought the same thing. That Polygon love. Also, this has been discussed several times over and Yosh said that days ago.

Put some black electrical tape on your controller light bar if it bothers you, end of story.

Now, everyone that isn't interested in the PS4 can keep complaining about how this is a deal breaker and the system is doomed.

The fact is that you shouldn't have to use tape to fix something that Sony could do in a day on OS level. I'm interested in PS4 but this is just dumb. Also what's up with 3 lines between paragraphs?

iMax

Dude, no. It's a reflection. If you look at the TV, the entire background of the gameplay feed is a super close up shot of the back of the DS4.

8byte

Banned
Oh how I love the dramatic mishappenings on NeoGAF. This is the very definition of a first world problem, haha.

Have you read the thread? It's pretty clearly a reflection

After going back and reading the thread and researching the video, yeah, I'm going to say it's still not a reflection. I didn't see anything that convinced me otherwise. People are making interpretation and suggesting that angles mean something significant when I don't see why all of if it couldn't be interpreted and translated by the camera. So, while I think there are some people in here who are convinced it's pretty clear, I don't think it's clear at all. I'll believe it when I see a color projected onto another game.

Thanks man!

son_of_ottie

Neo Member
I...I don't know man.

I really wanted to support Sony this gen, but this is a deal breaker. How can I game with a little blue reflection on my TV screen ruining the experience? How can I game discreetly with a GIANT FUCKING LIGHT on my controller (it's not like the bright backlight of my TV is on at night as well)?

I can't put up with this bullshit Sony. I just cancelled my PS4 pre-order, and have $100 down on a brand spanking new, obnoxious LED-free Xbox One.

I cannot believe how much Sony fucked this up.

\sarcasm

Grover has a good point. I HAD been thinking of jumping to my death inside the NYU library in protest and then I remembered they put barriers up few years ago to stop that. FASCISTS!
So I guess I'll just buy electrical tape for the front if I need to. It's far less dramatic but...

Truly, it is over for Sony. They have lost, you can't turn off something that isn't that annoying on their controller. Microsoft has won.

lol

nib95

Banned
Edit: Ignore me.

I've only owned plasma screens over the last several years (Pioneer Kuro's and Panasonic's). Most come with some sort of anti glare tech, and aside from reflections in bright conditions because of the sun, I don't think I've ever seen any battery indicators or anything like that reflected off mine in darker situations.

Guess I'll have to wait and see. Hopefully they add an option to turn it off anyway. More options is better than none.

If they don't want us to turn it off completely then at least allow brightness adjustments. If the light is a little too powerful I can just tune it down. I haven't seen the controller in person but that light on that controller looks pretty big.

Why should console manufacturers cater to you just because you bought a defective tv?

Why the hell would you buy a TV with a reflective surface? That's just begging for eye destroying glare and awkward reflections of everyone in the room during dark scenes.

They make TVs that don't have anti-glare coatings on the screen, and people buy them?

is this for real? this is like the NeoGAF equivalent of "why would I want to live there".

Takuya

Banned
This is an issue only where:

1. You play in the complete dark, and the screen is emitting no light at all in the area where your controller's lightbar would be reflected.

2. You play in daylight, and you play far enough from your TV and are holding the controller at an angle that will allow for the light to be reflected on the TV in a way that you can perceive from your point of view. ( also take into account parts of #1 ). Also, the daylight reflections of other objects in your screen somehow don't bother you as much as the dim light.

3. Completely black/dark loading screens.

Top Bottom