• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

casmith07

Leave it to GAF to go batshit over a god damn light on a controller.

You guys are weird if you play games aiming your controllers perpendicular to your TV screens.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
0k32eKQ.png
Dude you have a giant TV. Or is that you, Peter Dinklage?

WiiFan

Neo Member
I'm amazed on how people find things to bitch about...just blown away. Play the damn game and stop complaining.

Just buy some paper tape and cover the damn led if it bothers you!!

Now some dude will start a petition to Sony to bundle some scotch tape with the console...

Looking forward to "#PS180" posts when they shut off the light when not in use.

Whats even more pathetic than the people trying to downplay the significance of this, (fuck you if you think buying a new television is a reasonable responce) is the xbox fans trying to draw some kind of false equivlance with the mountians of issues surrounding the X1. Especially the ones who have made it clear over several threads that they are buying an X1 and only an X1 but are pretending this is a deal breaker for console they had no intention of buying.

Stop it. You are embarssing yourselves.

Nilaul

So they exclude the PSeye out of the box; and dont give the option for the light bar to be turned off? Amazing

Its not really an issue.

its not that big of a deal if its dimmer when not in use

I can see a change now that the camera isn't a pack-in. no camera plugged in? turn the light bars off to save battery power and remove glare.

at least we're giving Sony some feedback on these types of things prior to launch. I suggest we nitpick even more.

Bgamer90

Banned

You guys are weird if you play games aiming your controllers perpendicular to your TV screens.

Yep--- since there's no such thing as having a TV that's a big enough size (e.g. 50"+) to cause light to reflect off of it regardless of its position.

Always amazed at the lack of understanding on gaming forums.

jts

...hate me...
Well, from what I remember with the Wii, I always had to point it at the screen while playing Twilight Princess as opposed to when playing Skyward Sword which used the motion+ gyro for motion.

That said, I expect to hold it in a relaxed position when playing a game that doesn't require it, so the LED should be pointing down. Shitty drawing, but the I drew the LED in the direction it should be pointing rather than it's alignment on the controller

TOP: actively using the camera. BOTTOM: Relaxed position for normal gaming
0k32eKQ.png
It's a LED, not a laser beam. It would still be observable.

I don't see how you could explain this gif without it being a reflection

That is definitely a reflection.

I've rewatched the video a few more times and this is where I stand vs. my initial arguments. Based on the video, I'm not seeing anything definitive to say it is a reflection. I think that sort of point of light could easily be translated as such by the camera and without seeing it on a non-PSeye game, I don't believe a reflection that stark will exist.

I still hold to that statement, but I did notice something else I initially missed. (http://www.engadget.com/video/viddler/944416f2/ around 1:02) Seeing them turn the controller around near the start of the video to show the light bar, it looks bright. Very bright. Far brighter than I've seen it in any other demo of the PS4, and also flashing between white and blue. I argued that there's no way it could create a reflection given the intensity of the light source, but that argument isn't appropriate here, because clearly the lightsource is far more powerful than I've previously seen it, and potentially powerful enough to create a reflection. As such, the reflection seems possible.

What I want to know now is whether this light source has various states. I don't recall if ever looking so bright, so does that mean it gets turned up in intensity for move games? It would seem odd if it is that bright all the time.

Well, from what I remember with the Wii, I always had to point it at the screen while playing Twilight Princess as opposed to when playing Skyward Sword which used the motion+ gyro for motion.

That said, I expect to hold it in a relaxed position when playing a game that doesn't require it, so the LED should be pointing down. Shitty drawing, but the I drew the LED in the direction it should be pointing rather than it's alignment on the controller

TOP: actively using the camera. BOTTOM: Relaxed position for normal gaming
0k32eKQ.png

holy shit, some people were balking at some of us who use glossy plasma displays. don't let them know your still using a projection TV from 1995

casmith07

Yep--- since there's no such thing as having a TV that's a big enough size (e.g. 50"+) to cause light to reflect off of it regardless of its position.

Always amazed at the lack of understanding on gaming forums.

Understanding what? I have a 55" Samsung television and I sit approximately 7 feet from the screen and I've never had glare issues from anything except my windows, which is understood.

Lima

"This TV shiny, sparkly, therefore best."

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

The best LCD ever made, the Sharp Elite has a reflective screen.

The best in class LCD's this year from Sony have a reflective screen, same goes for Samsung etc.

Sure go out and buy your crappy 500$ LG LCD with an anti-reflective screen. I'm sure it will offer cutting edge picture quality.

Mononoke

Banned
So, for those that have light reflection with their TV setup, are you going to cancel your PS4 pre-orde? Is this a deal breaker?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
What is the lightbar used for anyway w/o move?
You can take the Dual Shock 4, point it at the moon and because the Apollo missions installed a retroreflector on there you can measure the speed of light and the drift of the moon away from the earth.

And people are saying games are dumb!

Edit: Oh and you can also see who is player one, two and three and such.

onQ123

So they exclude the PSeye out of the box; and dont give the option for the light bar to be turned off? Amazing

Its not really an issue.

PS3 didn't come with the PS-Eye & you couldn't turn off the LED lights on the DualShock3.

Xamdou

The lightbar isn't a small led light, it's length is about 50% of the PS4 controller itself. For gamer who play single-player only, that light will be on every time they play.

maltrain

Some people never used PSMove. Lights didn't reflect on anything and those lights are bigger. Slow day maybe... many people bitching around for NOTHING.

DJwest

I remember a guy complaining about the tiny red light on the Dualshock 3 here.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

The best LCD ever made, the Sharp Elite has a reflective screen.

The best in class LCD's this year from Sony have a reflective screen, same goes for Samsung etc.

Sure go out and buy your crappy 500$ LG LCD with an anti-reflective screen. I'm sure it will offer cutting edge picture quality.

aaa538.JPG

I take it you have an iphone and ipad, too, because they're the "best."

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

No one is going batshit insane, it's just a potential annoyance and distraction. I have a small room and with the way I sit in my chair the light will most likely be reflected in the center of the screen. It'll be annoying. Yes, I can and probably will just tape it but I wish there was a system option for it. The only people I've seen in this thread that seem legitimately mad are people who are calling out the people that are freaking out about the light, which is pretty much no one.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Some people never used PSMove. Lights didn't reflect on anything and those lights are bigger. Slow day maybe... many people bitching around for NOTHING.

Well congrats on your seating position and non-reflective TV. Some of us don't have that.

Bgamer90

Banned
Understanding what? I have a 55" Samsung television and I sit approximately 7 feet from the screen and I've never had glare issues from anything except my windows, which is understood.

Depending on the size of the screen itself as well as how far someone is sitting away from the screen, one wouldn't have to point the controller directly straight at the TV to notice it reflecting.

MMaRsu

Banned
We need to get on this, get it patched in a firmware update please Sony!!! I need to be able to turn this horrific shit off if need be.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I used PS Move and could always see it reflected in my screen. It didn't stop me from using Move, but it was noticeable.
It actually did stop me from using Move. My eyes naturally fixated on the reflection and I had to strain them to look at the game behind it. Really annoying.

RoKKeR

This is a fucking joke, right GAF?

I would love to see how many of you point your controller right at the screen like a fucking flashlight.

onQ123

those 2mm wide leds? I don't think that's comparable

The point is that the Light bar is also a replacement for the small LEDs that indicated which controller was which & let you know when the battery was going low by blinking. so it's not all about the camera.

We need to get on this, get it patched in a firmware update please Sony!!! I need to be able to turn this horrific shit off if need be.

is it already to late to have this done before launch?

The point is that the Light bar is also a replacement for the small LEDs that indicated which controller was which & let you know when the battery was going low by blinking. so it's not all about the camera.

I realize that but the actual amount of light it emitted wasn't a problem.

Xamdou

This is a fucking joke, right GAF?

I would love to see how many of you point your controller right at the screen like a fucking flashlight.

Where are we suppose to point the controller then? Away from the screen because of Sony's shitty design choice? Lol

Oppo

It actually did stop me from using Move. My eyes naturally fixated on the reflection and I had to strain them to look at the game behind it. Really annoying.

I kinda don't believe you. Or feel that you are making too much of it.

Let us remind ourselves that TVs are typically glowing with light. You would only see a reflection if the bulb happened to line up perfectly with a part of the screen that happened to be dark at that moment, for however long. The rest of the time you can't see shit. Because you are looking AT A TV.

There's no way that reflection is going to overpower a plasma.

Xamdou said:
Where are we suppose to point the controller then? Away from the screen because of Sony's shitty design choice? Lol
lol indeed. you're right there's no other solution. good thing you found out before you ordered, that's a bullet dodged.

Ydahs

How bright is it though? I play on a projector so the room is always dark. A bright light right beneath my eyes will definitely affect the experience.

Xamdou

my Bravia has a glossy screen

now I have to get a matte Samsung

way to sabotage your own TVs Sony

I have a 46" Sony Bravia HDTV and it has a glossy glass screen, any light source will cause a reflection. I don't plan to replace my Sony tv anytime soon.

Top Bottom