• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Shock 4 lightbar can't be turned off

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I use my laptop all the time in front of the tv and never see the apple light glowing on the TV, I think it will be ok in my setup.

This is one of those things that would usually never bother me. Until I would notice the reflection and then I would never be able to unsee it. That's just the way I work.

Certainly not a deal breaker though, barely even a blip on the radar. But it does make for some good
silly
discussion.

Kopite

but it will be in your eye sight just as much as the LED, you might say that you can lower the Wii U pad so it's out of your eyesight but guess what? you can do the same with the DS4 LED.

For me at least being in view isn't a problem but being on the TV might distract me from what's actually happening on my TV.

I'll never understand the "It doesn't effect me, so fuck you" mentality a lot of people have around here. It seems like it would be extremely simple to just have an option somewhere to turn the light off.

Raymo

You could just test this out with a move controller now if you were really that concerned.

I think it's a non-issue.

FranXico

I'll never understand the "It doesn't effect me, so fuck you" mentality a lot of people have around here. It seems like it would be extremely simple to just have an option somewhere to turn the light off.

It will probably be patched into a firwmare update soon. Not a big deal at any rate.

A lot of people around here seemed to be more bothered about the trophy notifications than this...

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The budget for having an option to dim or disable the light could be spend on funding a new Naughty Dog IP. Do you want to stand in the way of that?

Acnologia

Banned
It is the new player identifier of course it can't be turned off beside you won't see reflection of led lights on screen unless the TV is turned off

coldfoot

Banned
2 things:

1. Friends don't let friends buy glossy TV's. For LCD, the Vizio E series is pretty good with a matte screen.
2. Use black electrical tape instead of duct tape as it's less likely to ruin the look of your controller. In fact I just thought of an idea: selling electrical tape cut to the exact shape of the lightbar. Calling China after this post.

QaaQer

I do have a lamp on across the room, to be fair. It's not pitch black.

You need one of these: http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/Ideal-Lume.htm They make dark room tv viewing simply fantastic. There are some slightly cheaper bias lighting solutions, but the Ideal Lume has an adjustable brightness baffle + it's bulb is pretty close to 6500K, which is what you want.

You need to buy this as well though: http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-RF9720-Self-Stick-Reclosable-Fasteners/dp/B000YKVTSI/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1373300608&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=RF9720 as the mounting hardware in the kit isn't up to the job. Make sure you get that particular type of 3M velcro-style tape though, because you'll need to have it strong enough. Regular velcro will not cut it.

it's nice to have some ambient light behind your display to help with this problem.[/QUOTE]"]
it's nice to have some ambient light behind your display to help with this problem.

Actually, the reason to do it is that it improves image quality cuz of some physiological thing which I don't feel like explaining right now. But once you have it, you'll know what I mean. Of course I'm a nerd, so I have an expensive plasma with a color spyder attached my htpc so I can calibrate colour every couple of weeks...most people probably wouldn't care that much.

Gestault

But what if Sony sends the angle I hold the controller at to the NSA? My deepest secrets, laid bare...I feel so violated.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
960x99_ps4outofstock.jpg

Just as the bad news started piling up GameStop stopped taking pre-orders for the PS4.

Coincidence? I think not.

I don't own any TVs with gloss screens, so this is a non-issue for me (and should be for anyone else with matte screens).

This is also a non-issue for me because I own tape.

read this on VG247 this morning... and I´m sad... I play at night in my bedroom, fuck me .. my wife is going to kill me if I´m playing with a freaking flashlight on at night..

You have a magic TV that emits zero light when it's on? She lets you play your games in bed, I'm sure she'll forgive you an LED on the controller which is actually pointing away from her face.

I'd prefer an option to at least turn it off if you are the only controller and aren't using Eye stuff. Oh well, I'll be able to manage. I don't think my screen will reflect it since it is a matte screen.

Yeah use duct tape on your brand new controller, great ghetto fix.

Or the electrical tape I bought to cover up indicator LEDs in my bedroom, which won't leave a mark when removed.

Wouldn't the duck tape stop the controller from working? why else would they need such a big light?

The light is for PSEye, which I have no intention of ever buying. Other than that it just indicates which player you are in local multiplayer.

Sethos

Banned
960x99_ps4outofstock.jpg

Just as the bad news started piling up GameStop stopped taking pre-orders for the PS4.

Coincidence? I think not.

With you there man, I heard rumors of Sony actually ditching the Playstation 4 because of this massive backlash with the LED.

BigDug13

Isn't this an LED light? You know, those things that take so little power that a teenage girl was able to make a flashlight that was powered by the warmth of the palm of your hand. I don't foresee battery life being the issue. Glare is a realistic problem but I'll have tape standing by.

Wouldn't the duck tape stop the controller from working? why else would they need such a big light?

It would stop it from working with the camera. I think the people upset about this aren't planning on getting the camera. Or would like, atleast, to turn it off when they aren't playing a game that uses the camera.

Seems pretty silly for Sony to not give us the option to turn it off. It might be time to start fabricating little plastic pieces that snap on over the light for 2 cents a piece and sell them for $9.99.

Capitalism ho!

Isn't this an LED light? You know, those things that take so little power that a teenage girl was able to make a flashlight that was powered by the warmth of the palm of your hand. I don't foresee battery life being the issue. Glare is a realistic problem but I'll have tape standing by.

inb4 flleshlight.

Actually, the reason to do it is that it improves image quality cuz of some physiological thing which I don't feel like explaining right now. But once you have it, you'll know what I mean. Of course I'm a nerd, so I have an expensive plasma with a color spyder attached my htpc so I can calibrate colour every couple of weeks...most people probably wouldn't care that much.

some guy who did his own bias lighting seems to have a good enough answer.

In a pitch black room with nothing but the tv as a source of light, your pupils dilate and constrict with the constant changing between dark and light scenes. This eventually gets really uncomfortable for most people and can lead to headache and fatigue.
On the other hand, people who view their TV with the room lights on are introducing reflections and impacting the contrast and colour perception of what they see on screen in negative ways.

The alternative? Light the area immediately behind the TV. This is commonly known as 'Bias lighting'.

Gestault

Could someone explain to me why the light-bar is intrusive? This reaction seems...disproportionate to the concerns I can imagine.

What was the patch that took forever on the PS3? The one with the controller battery when you pressed the "PS" button? I hope we don't have to wait that long for this to be updated with an option to turn off the LED light.

Could someone explain to me why the light-bar is intrusive? This reaction seems...disproportionate to the concerns I can imagine.

Because it serves almost no purpose when you dont own the PS4 camera. Without the camera, its pretty much just a LED flashlight pointing at the TV. It should easily be turned off, yet Sony says otherwise.

Sethos

Banned
By the way, has anyone brought up the real health hazards of this thing? Imagine that LED light hitting our sensitive pale skin, we might get burns ...

JaseMath

Depends if they really care. How long did it take to fix the clock bug on the ps3?

True, but the clock thing didn't intrude on the physical experience of playing a game - it was a UI nuisance. This is going to be a total pain in the ass for a gaming environment, especially for night-timing gamers (like myself) playing in a dimly lit room.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This is a total non-issue for me. I game at my desk, and to see any sort of reflection I'd have to hold my controller at chest height, lol. And I never play games in a dark room, cause it's always felt like a strain on my eyes.

So yeah, non-issue. I could see how others would have concerns, though.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Because it serves almost no purpose when you dont own the PS4 camera. Without the camera, its pretty much just a LED flashlight pointing at the TV. It should easily be turned off, yet Sony says otherwise.

It serves as a UI device and a multiplayer controller indicator. You can't turn it off because the system/OS is built to have it on all the time. A dev might use the light to signal health, for example, and not have any visible UI on screen. By having the OS turn it off, you would need to tell the dev to patch their game to come up with new solutions of displaying the health indicator.

I'm basically saying I don't think it'll likely be patched to turn it off. Now a dimmer of some kind...that would be something that could happen. I don't know how well LEDs can dim inside the controller though.

Top Bottom