• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dudebro: MSIFUSIHTS/SY2: The Straight-Up Official Thread!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
News flash: I'm back at my parents' place and the connection here died. I'll try to pop in whenever possible, until I'm back please let's stick to the plan :p

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Jocchan said:
News flash: I'm back at my parents' place and the connection here died. I'll try to pop in whenever possible, until I'm back please let's stick to the plan :p

Let the anarchy commence! =P

Actually, I'm gonna be away, too, until Sunday night. Gonna spend the next several days with that lovely lady seen on the previous page of this thread. ^_^ So it's up to the team to press on without hearing Jocchan and I's occasional nagging :lol

ColR100

Regarding the art assets, I've been a bit busy recently so not had much time to keep up with what's been going on within that area...but I'll be jumping back into it next week and hopefully be able to get through a good few of them.

An issue before for me was the lack of concept art and direction for the second/third stages, guessing this has now moved on a bit though over the past month.

Yeah bros! I got my gear in today!

2010julypickups07.jpg

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
^ Haha that's awesome, man!

Danthrax said:
Let the anarchy commence! =P

Actually, I'm gonna be away, too, until Sunday night. Gonna spend the next several days with that lovely lady seen on the previous page of this thread. ^_^ So it's up to the team to press on without hearing Jocchan and I's occasional nagging :lol
Anarchy's over!

Well, kind of. I still don't have a stable connection, but I'll do my best to be available anyway.

Sill4

:lol Shortest anarchy evar!

Noice gear Donkey. That stuff looks really good, I'm planning on supporting the cause myself eventually.

I need to do some field recording this weekend at a large industrial pressing plant/machine shop for mechanical sounds for an up coming tech demo for a game - in doing so I'll be sure to record plenty extra SFX and join the dudebro team later when I get home today.

I'll be joining as an audio engineer and musician. My music style is glitch/dubstep/classical/horror.

I'll do what I can for this project.

V_Ben

Banned
Ninja-Matic said:
I need to do some field recording this weekend at a large industrial pressing plant/machine shop for mechanical sounds for an up coming tech demo for a game - in doing so I'll be sure to record plenty extra SFX and join the dudebro team later when I get home today.

I'll be joining as an audio engineer and musician. My music style is glitch/dubstep/classical/horror.

I'll do what I can for this project.
Awesome stuff! Glad to have you on board :D

Sorry about the lack of feedback, I've encountered problems with Google Wave and have been trying to figure it out for the last few days. I have played the game extensively and will put my feedback into the Dropbox later today.

Just sent my info to Danthrax.

I'll be able to begin work on audio next week. I need to finish up work for one of my labels then get to field recording this weekend.

V_Ben - whatever format you want project files in, let me know. I can give you anything in Logic Pro, Ableton, etc. I use pretty much everything - about 28 different audio programs at last count with dozens and dozens of AU and VST.

Whatever format is preferred - just hit me up.

V_Ben

Banned
Ninja-Matic said:
Just sent my info to Danthrax.

I'll be able to begin work on audio next week. I need to finish up work for one of my labels then get to field recording this weekend.

V_Ben - whatever format you want project files in, let me know. I can give you anything in Logic Pro, Ableton, etc. I use pretty much everything - about 28 different audio programs at last count with dozens and dozens of AU and VST.

who-o-oa. :D at the moment, we're exporting everything as .ogg files, and music tends to come to us as mp3's. Use whichever program you feel would be best at making each sound. Ask rSpooky to give you a couple of SFX sounds to do to really show us what you can do!

Happy to have you on board :D

V_Ben said:
who-o-oa. :D at the moment, we're exporting everything as .ogg files, and music tends to come to us as mp3's. Use whichever program you feel would be best at making each sound. Ask rSpooky to give you a couple of SFX sounds to do to really show us what you can do!

Happy to have you on board :D

Here's a couple of entry-level Logic tutorials I've made:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SUBTRaKTR

Just a basic idea of how I create glitch sounds and create multi-band rhythmic gates using compressors, a side-chain and source audio without the use of a gating plugin (which I do have - but a friend asked how to rhythmic gate without one).

Most of the SFX material I create is all done with Logic, Peak (bias-inc FTW) and custom plugins.

As for format - I can give whatever - I was just curious if you guys wanted project files for things like Logic, Ableton, ProTools, Reason, Cubase, Sonar, etc.

I'll find out more when I can dive into stuff at the beginning of next week. See you guys then. :D

V_Ben

Banned
Ninja-Matic said:
Here's a couple of entry-level Logic tutorials I've made:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SUBTRaKTR

Just a basic idea of how I create glitch sounds and create multi-band rhythmic gates using compressors, a side-chain and source audio without the use of a gating plugin (which I do have - but a friend asked how to rhythmic gate without one).

Most of the SFX material I create is all done with Logic, Peak (bias-inc FTW) and custom plugins.

As for format - I can give whatever - I was just curious if you guys wanted project files for things like Logic, Ableton, ProTools, Reason, Cubase, Sonar, etc.

I'll find out more when I can dive into stuff at the beginning of next week. See you guys then. :D

Well, project files aren't a necessity, but keep a backup of them on your computer, so you can make little changes based on feedback. Logic seems like a great choice based on your videos, and my knowledge of the program itself. See you next week! :D

John

Displayed to the left is one of the game’s primary features; the Brodiocity Meter. Essentially, it is a health bar but its functions don’t end there. In some Acts, filling the meter entirely will be one of the main objectives. To do this, the player will have to act like a bro which includes: killing enemies, rescuing chicks, and drinking beer. Adversely, being hit by an enemy will cause the meter to drop. When it drops to zero, Dudebro will get angry at the player and leave, forcing him or her to play the Act over again.

You mean "conversely."

Do we need to keep playing to check for more stuff after providing feedback? Right now, I think I've said everything I wanted to say, but maybe more play time could give me more stuff to talk about. Otherwise, it's just me trying to find more bugs. I don't mind, but at this point, playing too much can be boring/annoying since it's very simple at this point.

flyover

Ninja-Matic said:

Welcome aboard, Ninja-Matic! As far as SFX, you might just want to bounce any you make in Logic to lossless (either WAV or AIFF is fine) files. When you then put them in a subfolder within the SFX folder (and rSpooky thinks they're good to go), let me know, and I'll master them -- to keep them consistent-sounding with the other SFX we've got -- and then save them as Ogg. That way, we're not saving and re-saving lossy files.

(Although if rSpooky says you should do things some other way, he's the SFX boss, so listen to him!)

flyover said:
Welcome aboard, Ninja-Matic! As far as SFX, you might just want to bounce any you make in Logic to lossless (either WAV or AIFF is fine) files. When you then put them in a subfolder within the SFX folder (and rSpooky thinks they're good to go), let me know, and I'll master them -- to keep them consistent-sounding with the other SFX we've got -- and then save them as Ogg. That way, we're not saving and re-saving lossy files.

(Although if rSpooky says you should do things some other way, he's the SFX boss, so listen to him!)

Thanks, flyover.

I'll keep any SFX I make flat - no eq, compression, limiting, etc - if you plan to do them. If you're not using some type of compression (multipressor, VCA, etc) or limiting, let me know.

Also let me know the type of EQ you are using - what's the name of the plugin, etc. It might be easier to exchange project files so you can master vs me giving you a WAV in case you need to make any changes to any of the layers I create for SFX.

flyover

Ninja-Matic said:
I'll keep any SFX I make flat - no eq, compression, limiting, etc - if you plan to do them. If you're not using some type of compression (multipressor, VCA, etc) or limiting, let me know.

Also let me know the type of EQ you are using - what's the name of the plugin, etc. It might be easier to exchange project files so you can master vs me giving you a WAV in case you need to make any changes to any of the layers I create for SFX.
Thanks, Ninja-Matic. WAVs are fine. You can go ahead and EQ any SFX you make to your liking, normalize the file, bounce it, and I'll take it from there for any extra compression and limiting. I'm going pretty mild on the mastering: just giving the files a little bit of consistency and evening out the perceived loudness. (I'm mastering in T-Racks, which isn't great for most music -- but is a godsend for SFX mastering.) Go ahead and PM me anytime if you want to discuss further.

HIJACKED!!

howtojoin.png

If you want to help:
1. Follow this FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
2. PM Danthrax your e-mail to be added to the staff list, Dropbox and the Google Waves
3. Contact your team lead to get assignments
4. Make sure you keep following the waves, this thread, and read the GDD
5. Remember that no one will PM you asking to do X or Y (we're too many), if you need assignments/feedback/direction/info/a beer/whatever just PM your lead
6. Use the IRC channel (more details below) to stay in touch with the team!!!
7. ???
8. PROFIT!

Useful links:
Sign-up FAQ: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_23cgnp39cs
Dudebro Game Design Document: http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcs6hh5g_8dv7w2pfm
Dudebro official website: http://www.grimoireassemblyforge.com/dudebro/
Dudebro Wiki: http://dudebro.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page
CafePress Store: http://www.cafepress.com/dudebro2

And CHECK YOUR PRIVATE MESSAGES because I or another Dudebro volunteer may have PMed you about something important!

IRC details:
server: irc.gamecubecafe.com
channel: #dudebro

John

Eight months later, I've finally gotten around to finishing the drum programming and rerecording of "Ibuprofen." Stuck it in the Finished Tunes folder.

I'm ignorant of the finer technique of mastering, however, so if any of you guys want to see what they can do with it, I'm grateful for the help.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hey guys,

Just wanted to inform everyone that I haven't left the project, but I've begun the process of applying to grad school, which not only includes doing the actual applications, but also studying for and eventually taking the GMAT.

As a result, I will be largely indisposed with that. That said, I will still be working on directing the cutscenes with Jocchan and other story related work that needs assistance.

Thanks for understanding, guys!

V_Ben

Banned
thetrin said:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to inform everyone that I haven't left the project, but I've begun the process of applying to grad school, which not only includes doing the actual applications, but also studying for and eventually taking the GMAT.

As a result, I will be largely indisposed with that. That said, I will still be working on directing the cutscenes with Jocchan and other story related work that needs assistance.

Of course! I wouldn't expect you to put your future over dudebro :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
thetrin said:
Hey guys,

Good luck, brah.

rSpooky

Ninja-Matic.. welcome aboard.
Looking forward to some of the field recordings you be making..
Flyover has been doing an excellent job with the (re) mastering and keeping consistency in all of them.
There is a list in dropbox with assets identified.. so you can use that as a start point, but make sure to also read the design doc and play the latest build etc to get a feel for what is (possibly) needed etc.

dentoomw

So just wanted to update the thread that the first pass of QA went really well and I'd say was able to generate some great data. :) Given the volunteer nature of the project, I'm really happy with how things turned out. Things are only going to improve from here.

My hats off to the entire Brosquad and especially those who were as brutally honest as you were, you guys are awesome. Some of you showed some good initiative in breaking the game as badly as you did :D way above and beyond what I expected. So hats off to you sirs :) You know who you all are.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
dentoomw said:
So just wanted to update the thread that the first pass of QA went really well and I'd say was able to generate some great data. :) Given the volunteer nature of the project, I'm really happy with how things turned out. Things are only going to improve from here.

My hats off to the entire Brosquad and especially those who were as brutally honest as you were, you guys are awesome. Some of you showed some good initiative in breaking the game as badly as you did :D way above and beyond what I expected. So hats off to you sirs :) You know who you all are.

Great to hear! I was wondering how the QA testing was going. Is there a full report on Dropbox, or do you plan on writing up a little something about the results of the testing?

[edit] Just found your link on the Coding Wave to your report on Google Docs. Never mind, thanks for making a report =) Looks really good.

dentoomw said:

Always good when expectations are surpassed. Hopefully we can keep up this pace.

Is there another way for us to keep track of the progress without coming to this thread? I know Googlewave has stuff, but it's also kind of annoying because it isn't updated everyday like this thread.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Cow Mengde said:
Is there another way for us to keep track of the progress without coming to this thread? I know Googlewave has stuff, but it's also kind of annoying because it isn't updated everyday like this thread.

Not really, besides coming onto IRC and asking how things are going.

Though the website is updated twice a week, so you can kinda get progress updates there, too.

dentoomw

Cow Mengde said:

As far as the QA stuff is concerned, I'll make an effort to PM the confirmed Squad members whenever the next test cycle is upcoming.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Hopefully once the new tool for tasks is up and running, following the progress will be easier for everyone.

As far as the QA stuff is concerned, I'll make an effort to PM the confirmed Squad members whenever the next test cycle is upcoming.

Oh, don't worry. The reason I ask is because sometimes I come here and forget to login and might not see the PM or just forget to come here. I've subscribed and bookmarked this thread since the QA thing started, and I wasn't sure if future assignments would be given through pm or google wave.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Just to let y'all know, I have Friday's update written and saved as a draft on Wordpress. The clip needs to be uploaded and imbedded into the post, though.

V_Ben

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
There are several alternatives. We've got time to plan ahead and switch over to something else before anything is lost.

Indeed. There will be time to plan out a move fully :)

I'm sorry I haven't done much testing guys. Our company moved office locations and it's been my groups responsibility (5 engineers) to move and configure pretty much everything (many, many servers, switches, voip, etc) which has led to 16 days of straight work.

I should be getting more free time now that we're settling in.

anonymousAversa said:
I'm sorry I haven't done much testing guys. Our company moved office locations and it's been my groups responsibility (5 engineers) to move and configure pretty much everything (many, many servers, switches, voip, etc) which has led to 16 days of straight work.

I should be getting more free time now that we're settled in.

Yeah, also, are we suppose to continue testing it, or do we wait for the next build?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Wait for a new cycle of QA... but feel free to test any build you want. The URL will stay the same :)

Jocchan said:
Wait for a new cycle of QA... but feel free to test any build you want. The URL will stay the same :)

Ok, but if I find anything, do I add it to drop box again or just wait and add it to the next build? I actually do have some more thoughts on the game, but wasn't sure if I should mention it now.

dentoomw

Cow Mengde said:
Ok, but if I find anything, do I add it to drop box again or just wait and add it to the next build? I actually do have some more thoughts on the game, but wasn't sure if I should mention it now.

Go ahead and slide it into the Dropbox or update the old bug tracker on the Wave :)

Top Bottom