• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dun duuun - The December Numbers

xaosslug

sp0rsk said:
No one cares about next gen :/

20022807843hs.jpg

"The next generation doesn't start until we say it does, foolish American BIZNATCHES."

Musashi Wins! said:
jesus, ps2 is the super console.

And the muther fucker ain't even dropped below $149 yet.

O M G.

Current gen gaming for the win. I seriously doubt the bottom will drop this year for the PS2 all of a sudden given the year it's had in 2005 and the price points it still has ahead of it.

sonycowboy said:
Current gen gaming for the win. I seriously doubt the bottom will drop this year for the PS2 all of a sudden given the year it's had in 2005 and the price points it still has ahead of it.

2006 actually looks like it could be the PS2's strongest year in terms of software, so i'd expect teh sales to follow. There's just 1 little problem...The PS3. :p

Amir0x

Banned
sonycowboy said:

O M G.

Do you change your mind now about it being a bad idea not to drop the price of PS2? Was it you who said that? I know I said it too, but I generally respect your analysis so I was wondering how you read things now.

AirBrian

sonycowboy said:

O M G.

Yep, this pretty much confirms a $129 drop before the $99 drop.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
SolidSnakex said:
2006 actually looks like it could be the PS2's strongest year in terms of software, so i'd expect teh sales to follow. There's just 1 little problem...The PS3. :p

what a problem to have.

my penis rejects your avatar change.

littlewig

Banned
I'm the one that said that Sony wouldn't make a price drop for the PS2. Oh, and before anyone starts thinking PSP will have a price drop in 2006, it won't.

Amir0x said:
Do you change your mind now about it being a bad idea not to drop the price of PS2? Was it you who said that? I know I said it too, but I generally respect your analysis so I was wondering how you read things now.

Actually, I am suprised by the December numbers, but I still think they should have done a $129 price point. It's going to be incredibly hard to keep the PS2 HW viable beyond 2007 in a meaningful way and they could have been looking at 6.5-7M units sold in 2005 with a $129 price point, another 6-7M units in 2006 with a $99 price point, and another 4-6M with a $79 price drop in 2007.

What seems likely is that Sony is trying to sop up every last ounce of profit out of the PS2 HW even if it means they lose a few million units of hardware here or there. Probably the smart thing to do, but it makes truly astronomical numbers for the PS2 hard. Like say > 135-140M worldwide.

Solid

SolidSnakex said:
Haha I'm enjoying this as much as you! :)

AniHawk said:
PS2 sales are nifty and everything, but at this point last gen, the consoles were $100 or $130. :\

Actually, at this point last gen, the price point had been $99 for over a year and the PSOne had been out for 4-5 months.

Musashi Wins! said:
what a problem to have.

my penis rejects your avatar change.

It might be ok, i'm pretty sure the PSone still managed to sell well even after the PS2 was release. They're giving the PS2 even better support than the PSone had at that time also which will help boost its sales for a longer time.

And Mia is hot. :p

Ranger X

Not impressed with the 360 numbers? I am. It's like they sold even more machine than they actually produced!!
WHERE were those 260k 360??????? Not in Canada let me tell you this.

AirBrian

Wyzdom said:
Not impressed with the 360 numbers? I am. It's like they sold even more machine than they actually produced!!
WHERE were those 260k 360??????? Not in Canada let me tell you this.
Considering this NPD report only covers the U.S., you're absolutely correct those 360s sold were not in Canada. ;-)

Amir0x

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Actually, I am suprised by the December numbers, but I still think they should have done a $129 price point. It's going to be incredibly hard to keep the PS2 HW viable beyond 2007 in a meaningful way and they could have been looking at 6.5-7M units sold in 2005 with a $129 price point, another 6-7M units in 2006 with a $99 price point, and another 4-6M with a $79 price drop in 2007.

What seems likely is that Sony is trying to sop up every last ounce of profit out of the PS2 HW even if it means they lose a few million units of hardware here or there. Probably the smart thing to do, but it makes truly astronomical numbers for the PS2 hard. Like say > 135-140M worldwide.

Yeah, I guess that's true. I was sayin' it was a bad idea not to drop the price, but Decembers numbers did surprise me. Still, I can't disagree with your viewpoint.

Top Bottom