• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons and Dragons: Who still plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoverX

I just picked up Player's Handbook 1 and 2 on sale. There seems to be a good group playing at my local shop and i live in a big city so i'm sure there are plenty of players in my area.

Who on Gaf still plays? or started playing again recently?

ronito

I'd really love to play but the problem I find is that either people are WAY more into it than I am (IE: you have to tell the GM your motions and how you cast your spell, or get way too far into the RP) or they're just not serious about it at all (goof off or just miss).

If I could find a good group I would probably play again. But finding a good group is more than half the battle.

4th edition is pretty good, yeah. If you can't find people to play with in real life, try finding (or starting) a play by post game on a message board. It works pretty well.

Jokey665

I started playing in '06, and I'm still playing. (I'm 21 now, and my group is playing 3.5 with me as the DM)

I also actively homebrew content and am currently working on a huge project.

hoverX

Ulairi said:
I play pen and paper role-playing games, I don't play D&D.

What do you prefer to play?

I also picked up the Shadowrun core rulebook but honestly i like the 4e rules much better. Shadowrun does have a cool world though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Obligatory link to DM of the Rings and Darths and Droids.

DM of the Rings

comic_lotr2.jpg

comic_lotr14.jpg

Darths and Droids

darths0001.jpg

darths0004.jpg

Ulairi

Banned
hoverX said:
What do you prefer to play?

I also picked up the Shadowrun core rulebook but honestly i like the 4e rules much better. Shadowrun does have a cool world though.

For fantasy I play HackMaster Basic.

Ulairi said:
I play pen and paper role-playing games, I don't play D&D.

Tried DnD once, but never really fit with my gaming group. Currently not playing much at all--just a Battletech game that's been going on for some time and an online SW Saga game.

Have had pretty long stints with GURPS, Mutants and Masterminds, Warhammer and a huge amount of SW RCB.

Ridli

I really wish I could play again, it's been years and 4E looks really nice. Unfortunately I really don't want to slum trying to find a new group, but the people I want to play with don't have the proper time to do something.

But oh do I miss it. I played mostly 3E and I really loved it.

Maybe this is a good place to ask, has anyone had good experience with something like Google Wave running a game electronically? I'm hoping there have been some crazy new developments in online game spaces that would help facilitate getting the old gang back together.

impirius

We play just about every week at work. Our CEO is the DM. I... I don't know if I should be putting this on the Internet.

LazyLoki

I (still) play, started about 8 years ago. Nowadays mostly 4ED, but the group has two active 3.5 campaigns.
So far, I'm liking 3.5 more, but some details from 4ED are great.
I hear there's a symbiont of both called 'Pathfinder'. I guess the group will give it a shot, has anybody any experience with it?

i still dm every couple weeks or so. very casual, ive written 6 or 7 adventures that i take different groups through. nothing too complex, lots of action and lots of rewards

I'd like to start playing again. If there was a way to play with gaffers online I'd play.

Wow I was just thinking that google wave would be a good medium for D&D.

hoverX

Ridli said:
I really wish I could play again, it's been years and 4E looks really nice. Unfortunately I really don't want to slum trying to find a new group, but the people I want to play with don't have the proper time to do something.

But oh do I miss it. I played mostly 3E and I really loved it.

Maybe this is a good place to ask, has anyone had good experience with something like Google Wave running a game electronically? I'm hoping there have been some crazy new developments in online game spaces that would help facilitate getting the old gang back together.

i've heard of people using google wave to play but i've never done it. I think they have die roll add-ins and things like that to make things easier.

Ridli

hoverX said:
i've heard of people using google wave to play but i've never done it. I think they have die roll add-ins and things like that to make things easier.

Yeah, I *just* got my invite so I haven't had a chance to delve into it proper. I was just thinking that with a little die rolling app/widget you could do a lot. I'd imagine you'd probably want to handle most conversations/interactions via a webcam or voice, but just giving everyone a shared battlespace could be a big step.

Edit: I should be more specific, I would prefer a voice interaction for most things, but I'm sure a lot of people could get along fine with the usual chat communication in Wave.

LazyLoki said:
I (still) play, started about 8 years ago. Nowadays mostly 4ED, but the group has two active 3.5 campaigns.
So far, I'm liking 3.5 more, but some details from 4ED are great.
I hear there's a symbiont of both called 'Pathfinder'. I guess the group will give it a shot, has anybody any experience with it?

Its more like a revised version of 3.5.

soco

i play with a bunch of gay guys. well everyone is gay except the DM, but he's awesome (and also writes D&D books)

Tommie Hu$tle said:
I'd like to start playing again. If there was a way to play with gaffers online I'd play.

Wow I was just thinking that google wave would be a good medium for D&D.
Really there is no reason to use Wave instead of a forum for an asynchronous game. And if everyone wants to play at the same time maptool is the way to go.

hoverX

Koshiba said:
I've always wanted to play. :(

The barrier to entry is really low these days. There are plenty of ways to get a feel for the game/rules without having to drop a lot of money on books.

Kipz

massive bear, tiny salmon
I've been wanting to get back into it as I've got the 3.5 edition books and it was really fun when I did play but finding people around me who play is difficult.

Lazy vs Crazy said:
Really there is no reason to use Wave instead of a forum for an asynchronous game. And if everyone wants to play at the same time maptool is the way to go.
That looks awesome. I'll definitely give it a try.

Ri'Orius

I played a lot in college, and finally found a new group since graduating a few months ago. I'm really glad I did--it's been a lot of fun.

3.5, which is unfortunate; I want to give 4e a try, but a lot of people like to mock it.

As for Pathfinder, I haven't tried it, but from what I understand it's not worth the switch if you know 3.5. They ostensibly tried to balance out the whole "wizards rule, fighters drool" aspect and, from what I understand, failed miserably.

There are few if any real benefits to PF, and some pretty severe drawbacks, most importantly a smaller audience. It'll be a lot easier to find a 3.5 group than a PF group. That said, if you're making a group from newbs, it's probably not a terrible idea? And if you're a newb and find a PF group before you can find a 3.5 or 4e group, it's probably worth joining it.

But yeah, good fun. My only regret is scheduling--the only time we can reliably meet is Friday nights. And while I rarely have something better to do then, every now and then I do, but I would feel bad missing ('specially since our DM is kinda brutal and most of my party is combat-incompetent).

I recently started playing in my first real game (previously it was a bunch of off-and-on sessions with just me, another guy, and the DM). Using 3.5 rules. Everyone started at level 10; I'm part Druid and part Warshaper. Pretty fun so far, though we haven't met in a few weeks because of weather and holidays.

Just started a few months ago with some of my uncle's friends. 20+ year enthusiasts who love it. Really entertaining, not a bad way to spend a night with some friends and a couple beers.

Currently in an Eberron module, I think, some generic one, and another epic with 25 lvl characters. I dunno, don't hold me to that; still shaky on the names and editions.

Just lost my first character...lvl 6 Genasi Wizard. Dungeon kicked our ass. Running a warlock, a warlord, and a rogue, currently.

Prax

I've always wanted to play too. I even bought a bunch of the 4E books and some dice!

Unfortunately, don't really have people to play with, or when I think about it, it seems like playing would be too much of a hassle. I am too lazy to be the DM. I'm also not sure if I can get as into it as other people do since I have very particular tastes when it comes ot RPing and how characters should be behaving, but I'd like to one day join some group and try it out one day.

Well, until then.. at least I have nice books with pictures to look at?

Ridli

Lazy vs Crazy said:

Excellent, that's the sort of thing I was hoping would turn up. I'll have to look into Maptool then.

I can't say I can envision a scenario where running the campaign via a message board would be more advantageous than having that same conversation via a service like wave though. If you strip out all but the most basic functions of wave, you end up with a similar system to a closed thread - just instead of registering on a message board you register for a wave account instead.

hoverX said:
The barrier to entry is really low these days. There are plenty of ways to get a feel for the game/rules without having to drop a lot of money on books.

Still requires people.

I used to play on occasion, but in the last couple years I haven't been able to find anyone interested in playing. Did do a campaign last year using Fantasy Grounds, though, which actually worked pretty well until the DM had other things to attend to. Definitely recommended if you're willing to do something online.

ultron87

I recently started a 4E game with a bunch of my friends. When I suggested it I figured I'd manage to get 4 or 5 people tops to play, but it has since spread so that the potential pool of players at a session is 9 or 10. I never in a million years would've thought that my problem with playing DnD with friends was too many people. But it is still quite fun to get everyone around the table, though this makes things tough to run as a DM. Thankfully I've passed DMing duties of the big game off to someone else who wanted to give it a try.

When I get back to school I'm gonna start DMing a game for just my three housemates. That will certainly be much easier to manage.

I know some folks still talk bad about 4E, but I know almost certainly that I never would've been able to get half the people I have playing now to learn the 3.5 rules.

Edit: And I would totally be in for a GAF game in some post or wherever.

hoverX

Peronthious said:
Still requires people.

I used to play on occasion, but in the last couple years I haven't been able to find anyone interested in playing. Did do a campaign last year using Fantasy Grounds, though, which actually worked pretty well until the DM had other things to attend to. Definitely recommended if you're willing to do something online.

Online sounds like a cool option but i think i'm going to try to find a live group first.

kennah

IN two 3.5 groups right now. One is a 1st level campaign that was just started with a bunch of theatre friends. The DM is a playwright and actor, the other players are an actor/director, and another actor/playwright. Rounding up the group is myself (designer/technician) and my sister's husband (fireman). SO MUCH FUN!

The other is a continuation of the game that my friend and I have been playing since High School. He's the DM and I'm the last player from the original group left. Figure this game has been running off and on for about 16 years (often with multiple year breaks). The character I'm currently playing is the grandson of the one that started it. Ancestral Relic Sword for the win.

hoverX

krypt0nian said:
Arrgh. Haven't played in years and 4E is my current obsession. Sw Chicago burbs and no gaming groups to be found yet but I'm still looking. Even ObsidianPortal.com and Meetup.com have failed me so far.

GREAT 4E podcast at MajorSpoilers.com of a creative and hysterical gaming group.

iTunes Subscription link

Thanks for the links. The podcast looks promising. I like the idea of Obsidian Portal but the website its pretty crappy. Meetup.com has tons of D&D players in my area.

Ferrio

Banned
I so wanna do some DMing, but my group can never get past like 5 sessions before scheduling nightmare happens and we stop playing.

Sullen

I still play D&D from time to time. Not 4th edition of course, if I wanted to play an MMO I'd play an MMO, don't need that shit infesting my Pen and Paper games.

Anyway, I enjoy D&D but there are a multitude of games that I find more enjoyable than D&D when it comes to pen and paper. Exalted, Nobilis, and Fading Suns immediately come to mind. Check those out.

I know there is a forum member on here rocking the Nobilis cover pic statue as his avatar!

golem

4E is lots of fun, although the amount of powers tends to slow down things a bit. Just had our traditional post-Xmas session over the weekend.

hoverX

Sullen said:
I still play D&D from time to time. Not 4th edition of course, if I wanted to play an MMO I'd play an MMO, don't need that shit infesting my Pen and Paper games.

Anyway, I enjoy D&D but there are a multitude of games that I find more enjoyable than D&D when it comes to pen and paper. Exalted, Nobilis, and Fading Suns immediately come to mind. Check those out.

I know there is a forum member on here rocking the Nobilis cover pic statue as his avatar!

Ever play Shadowrun? curious to see how to compares from an seasoned pen and paper player.

notsol337

marked forever
I've played Shadowrun. It's gobs of fun. I had a cat shaman! It's really down to taste though. I like using multiple six-sided dice more than 20 sided dice, myself. I'm not an expert though, I needed some help with the rules. My dad, however, has played Shadowrun since second edition. I'll have to talk to him about it some more!

elbkhm

Been playing with more-or-less the same group since 2003. Typically we'll play 2-3 times/month. Just finished up a 4th edition campaign, and I'm about to start DMing a Pathfinder game.

I'm not too fond of 4th edition, so we're trying out Pathfinder. Seems pretty good to me, a lot of the more obvious problems with 3.5 have been corrected, so I have high hopes for it.

besada

Banned
I've been playing -- on and off -- with the same guys for 20 years. Mostly Hero System, although we've dabbled in virtually every other major system at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom