• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystara's Japanese PS3 retail release is different?!

kick51

Banned
It's just mind-blowing that clarification is the last thing any videogame company thinks about.
With all the shit Microsoft (deservedly) is dealing with due to their failure to communicate, I can't understand why more companies aren't upfront with all the details regarding upcoming games/consoles/etc, even if it's just a port of a couple beatemups from the mid 90s.

I would say Japan innovated in the area of fan miscommunication over the years, with Capcom leading the pack :p

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Oh well, this is an easy choice, Iron Galaxy does great work, their version is $15 and not exclusive to the one system I don't own.

Still, that four-player option and color edit mode sound sweet, just not buy a new system and pay three times as much for the game sweet.

Hero

It's not just about the "extras" though. The fact that two different teams are doing two completely different ports of the same games for the same platform (well one of the platforms anyway) released by the same publisher is pretty strange. It introduces a lot of weird questions:

- which port is better technically?
- why are there differences the audio/visual/setting options?
- is the netcode the same? if not why is one worse than the other?

etc.

It's a really stupid position for Capcom to put themselves in, and it makes deciding which version to get for fans much more confusing.

Pretty much this. I was eagerly awaiting the digital release but now I'm going to hold out until we know the answers to those questions. Fucking Capcpom.

Tain

I'm just now learning about this and it is the weirdest shit.

This isn't at all what happened with the Vampire ports, right?

Probably ordering this.

creid

It is weird that Capcom is doing two separate ports. It does make a little sense though, considering the Japanese version is ~$26 more expensive. I doubt many here would want to be paying that price for the port.

Very nice! I was already down with the physical version in addition to digital. Glad to see that there are reasons to help justify the huge price difference.

Shingro

Iron Galaxy owns the GGPO netcode don't they? Is it guaranteed that the Japanese version is going to have good online? Japan's not known for cherishing good network code and online modes....

I'll take good online and matchmaking over color swaps any day c_c

Galdelico

I'd be curious to know Iron Galaxy's opinion about this Capcom's move.
I mean, I'm pretty sure it was planned since the beginning, but seeing how (legitimately) bad most gaffers reacted to the announcement, I wonder if those guys may be kinda pissed off too, now.

Rlan

It's just mind-blowing that clarification is the last thing any videogame company thinks about.
With all the shit Microsoft (deservedly) is dealing with due to their failure to communicate, I can't understand why more companies aren't upfront with all the details regarding upcoming games/consoles/etc, even if it's just a port of a couple beatemups from the mid 90s.

It's the same thing with Sega. Even today it seems like both America and Europe have no idea what's going on.

- Sonic 1 got a complete remake for iOS and Android with full widescreen support, different characters, spindash, and excellent UI design, all by two dudes.

- Sonic 1 then also gets a remake for 3DS in Japan, isn't widescreen, but they added Spindash and 3D effects.

Like, why would you do that? It makes absolutely no sense.

Hey, our game that just came out... Surprise! You got the inferior version!*

*Assuming the netcode isn't trash.

Wow, this is incredibly moronic.

Let's have two teams working on the same game to be released on the same system at different times.

Classic Capcom.

I think it's actually a move they copped from Sega. At least they were on different platforms there, though... (Edit: Just beaten.)

Raitaro

Regardless of which version ends up being superior (which does indeed reflect an odd decision by Capcom, one that was also discussed in the OT I believe), could someone tell me why I simply can't play any of these HD rereleases whithout having them look like rubbish on my (LED) HD tv?

I've tried with multiple games, including the demo of D&D, and none of the filters really help. The "normal" setting makes the pixels stand out so much it makes it hard to see details such as faces etc. (an effect which was possibly softened by older CRT tv's in the past), "smooth" puts vaseline over the image and "crisp" is so bright and pixelated it makes my eyes hurt (literally).

Any tips on what tv settings to use perhaps guys? I simply can't fit a CRT tv in my room, so that is not an option unfortunately.
(and sorry for the slight derail)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Plus in the japanese text (awfully translated through Google) they seem to mention something about 'discerning gamer people' and to compare this domestic version to PS2 Street Fighter Zero collection, which was pretty awesome.
Maybe I should wait for the boxed release...

If you're willing to wait, I don't see it as a bad idea.

will pay full price if that's the case
Me. I will. Over here. This guy.

When a company gets too big, communication shuts down. I've seen it in companies I've worked in. It's a sad byproduct of bloat, but not unheard of.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't understand. Why not just use the better JP developers' version everywhere? Is this some kind of left hand-right hand Capcom JP/USA conflict? The JP staff must've looked at the Iron Galaxy version, with the achievement spam and whatnot, and balked. This looks like more of a purist port.

Anyway, the JP retail version is 3990 yen, so if it's better, I'll just get that.

I'm sure this is a misinterpretation on Capcom's part on what different regions desire. JP folks reacted well to M2's Sega Ages series, while US audiences reacted well to Iron Galaxy's releases. They look at differing releases as delivering both markets what they want. I don't know more than you guys know, but that's what it looks like from the outside.

Yes Boss!

I'm sure this is a misinterpretation on Capcom's part on what different regions desire. JP folks reacted well to M2's Sega Ages series, while US audiences reacted well to Iron Galaxy's releases. They look at differing releases as delivering both markets what they want. I don't know more than you guys know, but that's what it looks like from the outside.

I'm getting both (XBLA and PS3 retail) since 360 games are a little better for Cab play, disc for the collection.

But good to hear the japanese retail is different. Really getting sick of Iron Galaxy. Got the Vampire disc a few weeks back because it was $23 but it is just damn fugly. They put in fantastic features then just completely drop the ball with visuals. Not Backbone level but approaching that. 360 D&D is just more of the same crap from what I played of the demo.

duckroll

http://www.capcom.co.jp/DandD/new_system/option2.html
http://www.capcom.co.jp/DandD/new_system/bounus_contents.html

More stuff announced for the retail game:

- They're adding a new easiest setting in the difficulty selection which starts players with full item/magic stock, a dragon shield, and the ability to open chests without keys. The game also retains all the arcade difficulty settings and there's a super hardcore setting for pro players.

- There's New Game+ function now. Instead of getting a Game Over after completing the game, players can use their characters to start new games while retaining their levels and stats. You can also choose higher difficulty levels in these subsequent playthroughs.

- Stages you have completed can be replayed with a chapter select option, where you can pick which part of the stage you want to start from. There are also boss strategy videos to help players who have problems beating the bosses.

- Bonus content includes tons of artwork and original design materials from the development of the arcade games, introduction videos for the various classes, and video interviews with the original developers of the arcade games.

Looking at the UI for the bonus features... I'm really starting to think M2 might be doing this port... that would be... amazing.

pSWu5hB.jpg

KTXN7ru.jpg

Tizoc

- They're adding a new easiest setting in the difficulty selection which starts players with full item/magic stock, a dragon shield, and the ability to open chests without keys. The game also retains all the arcade difficulty settings and there's a super hardcore setting for pro players.

- There's New Game+ function now. Instead of getting a Game Over after completing the game, players can use their characters to start new games while retaining their levels and stats. You can also choose higher difficulty levels in these subsequent playthroughs.

- Stages you have completed can be replayed with a chapter select option, where you can pick which part of the stage you want to start from. There are also boss strategy videos to help players who have problems beating the bosses.

- Bonus content includes tons of artwork and original design materials from the development of the arcade games, introduction videos for the various classes, and video interviews with the original developers of the arcade games.

Looking at the UI for the bonus features... I'm really starting to think M2 might be doing this port... that would be... amazing.

pSWu5hB.jpg

KTXN7ru.jpg

Nice stuff hopefully these make it in some form to the English release >_<

TreIII

...Yeah. Count me in on getting this JP retail release. Not only because I would vastly prefer having a disc, but it really sounds like M2 is going to knock it out of the park with this version.

Vamphuntr

pSWu5hB.jpg

KTXN7ru.jpg

:S Sigh. Will have to buy that version too now. Thank you Capcom for that backward decision to make two different ports of the game.

Raitaro

How often has this happened? Same year ports of the same game by different companies for the same platform.

I can't think of any other examples to be honest. Or does the Ico/SotC collection count, because the Japanese version had additional artwork, a deluxe box etc.?

The only other similar case are old games that were released in two regions with difference at almost the same time, but even that is not really similar.

VariantX

If i had a PS3, I totally would have waited and just got the boxed version. Thats a shit-ton more features than the download version.

duckroll

Some updates since the last posts:

- I actually don't think M2 is working on this. It's possible, but it seems more likely reading the director's statements on the game that it is developed by the internal Capcom team responsible for the PS2 releases of Street Fighter Zero Fighters Generation and Vampire: Darkstalkers Collection. Still a bunch of talented folks.

- There will also be a digital download version on PSN in Japan, for the same price as the retail copy (3990yen)

- Today they revealed the online interface of the game showing lobby, matchmaking, and leaderboards: http://www.4gamer.net/games/217/G021731/20130808065/

I asked in the other thread but didn't get a response. Do we think this version is gonna be english friendly/include subtitles?

It's still up for preorder on PlayAsia and I wanna bite...

Yes Boss!

Even if it didn't have English it seems like this will be the version to get...

Yeah, menus don't seem like M2. But looks like more love has been put into it.

I still think the best of both world is to grab one on XBLA (or Wii U for Gamepad playback) and then retail JPN PS3. That is what I'm doing. Still waiting on the Wii U version, sadly.

Yeah, menus don't seem like M2. But looks like more love has been put into it.

I still think the best of both world is to grab one on XBLA (or Wii U for Gamepad playback) and then retail JPN PS3. That is what I'm doing. Still waiting on the Wii U version, sadly.

Yup, I'm gonna do the same. US PSN version and importing retail sku

Where the hell is the Wii U version anyway!? Was it even gonna have decent added features, or just off-screen play?

Yes Boss!

I've never played these games. But, are they text-heavy, or something?

Should'nt it be kinda easy to work through it, especially if we also have the Iron Galaxy english port?

Bar81

I've never played these games. But, are they text-heavy, or something?

Should'nt it be kinda easy to work through it, especially if we also have the Iron Galaxy english port?

No, they are perfectly playable without having a clue what anyone is saying (there are branching paths but who cares if you're saving villagers or some princess really). I think people however, just prefer to be able to read what's going on even if it's not necessary; I know I do when given the choice.

Top Bottom