• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara |OT| Wel-Wel-Wel-Welcome to the D&D world!

Tizoc

vrvokYe.jpg

Introduction
Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara is a compilation release collecting both D&D beat’em up games by Capcom from the 1990s, Tower of Doom & Shadow over Mystara. The Western release is handled by Iron Galaxy, while the Japanese release will feature additional work by the original arcade team that made the game back in the 90s.

The games are regarded as being among Capcom’s best beat’em-ups due to having more depth than the regular beat’em up game, by having branching paths and various equip-able items.

This compilation release will also feature 4 player (drop-in and drop-out) co-op for offline and online, a Vault to unlock concept art and ‘dip switches’. The latter would involve turning on or off certain items among other (yet to be discovered) options.

Release details for the English version
Pricing: $14.99, 1200 MS Points

Steam: Available now, with 4-pack version as well!
Playstation Network: Releasing on 18 & 19 June
X-box Live: Releasing on 18 June
WiiU: TBC (rumored to be released between 18-21 June)

Release details for the Japanese version
Pricing (this excludes shipping costs): 4000 Yen/$40 for Regular Edition, 120,000 Yen/$120 for Special Edition
Release date: August 22nd

As previously stated, the Japanese release is handled differently, as Capcom got the same team that made the game to work on this compilation release.
The additions in the Japanese version include allowing each player to use the same character (eg 4 Elf characters, or 1 Magic User+3 Dwarves), and color customization.
Whether the English release will get the same options as the Japanese ver. is unknown at this point, though it could get it as a future update patch.
Update: More info from siliconera:
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/05/2...icles-of-mystaras-116-limited-edition-bundle/
Thanks to 898!

As stated above as well, there'll be both a regular and special edition for the game:
DandD_05.jpg

Remember that the prices are without shipping costs.
The Special Edition can be ordered from:
E-Capcom
Nippon Yasan
Play Asia

Media
Launch Trailer
Announcement Trailer
FAQ for S. over Mystara
Magic User Character trailer

Thief Character trailer
Fighter Character trailer
Cleric Character trailer
Elf Character trailer
Dwarf Character trailer

Matchmaking
Steam
Tizoc
Kade
Pinko Marx
Silky
Skilletor
Str0ngStyle
http://steamcommunity.com/id/PepsimanVsJoe]PepsimanVsJoe
Teknopathetic
DimmuBurgerKing

PSN
Tizoc- Tizoc789
Skilletor- Skillzilla81
Manmademan- manmademan
Teknoman- TeknomanEX
FrostuTheNinja- Frostu
DimmuBurgerKing- DimmuBurgerKing
Bassmastergeneral - doublemintgum

XBL
Skilletor- Skillzilla81
SAB CA- SAB CA

Tizoc

Heh I'll add usernames to the first post for those that want to match make, can't believe I forgot about that.

For now though:
Live Stream of the game starting at 12 PM PDT
http://www.twitch.tv/capcomunity/old

A give-away I made for the Steam release:

(Hope mods don't mind ^_^; )

I really wanted to start moving my digital purchases to Wii U when possible since Nintendo seems to be the only console manufacturer interested in backward compatibility, but the XBLA version would be a smarter choice right now since I could multi with my friends. Urgh.

Brokun

Oh wow I didn't know this was coming out on Steam! My buddy and I will have to pick this up immediately.

Z3M0G

Watched the launch trailer. I see that each character can level up?

Do you keep your levels for each character when you stop playing? Do you keep items? Is it actually dropped loot that you collect or do you buy them, etc?

If this has some longevity to it, I'm very interested!

Edit: Does Steam version support gamepad / 360 controller??

Tizoc

Do you keep your levels for each character when you stop playing? Do you keep items? Is it actually dropped loot that you collect or do you buy them, etc?

Until I find confirmation, being an arcade game from the 90s, you couldn't do a 'new game+' kinda replay, meaing each new game you start from scratch. I have read that the digital release would allow for New Game+, but as I said; waiting for confirmation.

jackal27

Banned
Gonna pick this up for my Wii U as soon as I get home! I can't freaking wait to actually own these games! I've been waiting for over a decade!

Ceebs

Yes for controller. Has full 360 button prompts on the menus and you can remap all the buttons.

B-Dex

If you check the game's page on the WiiU website, it'll show that it would be releasing on the 18th.

The capcom brand manager on the stream said the wii u version is coming "shortly after" the 360 release. No idea what he means.

Tizoc

As of this post, the game is among the top 5 selling games on Steam (and this is while Mark of the Ninja is under $5 as a sale).

Saikyo

Someone can invite me to neogaf group at steam? "Saikyou" or saikyokoutei

Shame that capcom didnt make a 4-pack for the game :(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Gonna download this tomorrow on XBLA. It'll serve as a nice game to hold me down until Dragon's Crown is out.

There's no reason to own the Saturn versions now, right? This is better in every way.

The only conceivable reason I can think of for someone to want the Saturn version if if they prefer the Saturn controller, and that's easily rectified with one of those USB adapters. There's pretty much no reason to pursue the Saturn version over this.

Weird PSN ver. seems to have a demo, so if anyone wants to try it, look in the demos section.

In what region? I'm not seeing it on the US store.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Weird PSN ver. seems to have a demo, so if anyone wants to try it, look in the demos section.

Are you sure it's not just a demo+unlock key thing when you buy it? I don't see a demo on the store. Games often come in demo+unlock key format even if they don't actually have a demo.

Tizoc

^Huh well that's weird then, did they really just consider having the demo released later, or has the store not fully updated with it yet?

In what region? I'm not seeing it on the US store.

US region actually since that's the only store updated with it atm.
I say this because when I bought the game it gave me both an unlock key AND a demo.

Mitsurux

Been looking forward to this... will probably end up double dipping on the WiiU and 360 version.... (Now i have to decide if its worth it to keep the Saturn vers i have...)

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
^Huh well that's weird then, did they really just consider having the demo released later, or has the store not fully updated with it yet?

I say this because when I bought the game it gave me both an unlock key AND a demo.

The full version is the only thing there. Tried to to a search and couldn't find it.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

This is extremely common, even if a game doesn't actually have a demo available for download.

Watashiwa

I remember playing this game in the arcades! Wonder if I can do any good without a stick?

And a giveaway? Could I get into the Steam group? "Watashiwa_Nanashi" is my handle.

Teknoman

PSN ID: TeknomanEX

PSN version: Really fun so far, playing Shadow over Mystara first. The soundtrack is really nice, classic Capcom and feels like it would be right at home in Breath of Fire 1 or 2. Wizard really does seem top notch, but gotta have my swords. Cant decide whether or not I want crisp filter or just no filter (still looks nice widescreen with no filter).

Still learning the directional inputs, but more recent beat em ups...or any other beat em ups that hit in the future should take directional inputs into consideration for extra moves

Probably amazing in 4p, and im still surprised there arent more RPG beat em ups like this, Guardian Heroes, and Castle Crashers.

Also i'm dying alot lol. Either way, this is one game I can scratch of my Saturn list. Really want to get some 4p co-op going since Guardian Heroes netcode sucked (or seemed to) and Castle Crashers online was broken for so long, no one cared after it was fixed. Had fun in both with local co-op, but i'll never get 3 other people to play this locally.

Tizoc

I remember playing this game in the arcades! Wonder if I can do any good without a stick?

And a giveaway? Could I get into the Steam group? "Watashiwa_Nanashi" is my handle.

To join the group, it's best to ask in the Steam thread.

Teknoman

Also any way to determine what version of specific classes you get? Say Gold fighter armor with the helm vs Silver with the circlet?

Oh and which came first, King of Dragons or this? The fighter in both games uses the same "Wooooah!" battle cry.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Was totally going to buy this... then heard about the PS3 retail version in Japan probably being better... so now I'm waiting for that.

Tizoc

Was totally going to buy this... then heard about the PS3 retail version in Japan probably being better... so now I'm waiting for that.

Depends on what you mean by 'better'; it is possible for the game to get a free update patch to resemble the JP version's changes.

Oh man it would suck if one version excels in some aspects and the other excels in different aspects and neither one is definitively best version.

Top Bottom